Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All that wasted money

(10-07-2018, 07:29 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Give me Cousins over Ngakue, Jackson, Norwell and all those guys on the op.

(10-07-2018, 07:27 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Bortles cap hit is 21 mil in 2019 and 23 mil in 2020, while Cousins is 29 and 31

Can't imagine that 8 million is going to cause this team to cut every good player.

Sure, you probably lose a Church and a Dareus, but that's nothing when you actually have a respectable offense.

Exactly

Vikes are gonna be Cousins and a bunch of undrafted free agents in a few years according to this board.

If the Vikings do end up winning a Super Bowl within the next couple of years with Cousins, there needs to be a serious evaluation of every member of the front office including Coughlin. The goal is a championship and if we watch another team win one with a quarterback that we had shot at, heads must roll.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-07-2018, 07:27 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Bortles cap hit is 21 mil in 2019 and 23 mil in 2020, while Cousins is 29 and 31

Can't imagine that 8 million is going to cause this team to cut every good player.

Sure, you probably lose a Church and a Dareus, but that's nothing when you actually have a respectable offense.

Two problems here. You're ignoring the guaranteed money difference again and the out clause for the Jags after 2019 with Bortles.  

Would Cousins minus three other players have been better in 2018?  Maybe. 2020?  Hell no. 

If you are ONLY looking at this year, you can make an argument, but you've got to be OK with the likelihood of majorly depleted defensive talent in 2019 and 2020.

(10-07-2018, 07:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Two problems here. You're ignoring the guaranteed money difference again and the out clause for the Jags after 2019 with Bortles.  

Would Cousins minus three other players have been better in 2018?  Maybe. 2020?  Hell no. 

If you are ONLY looking at this year, you can make an argument, but you've got to be OK with the likelihood of majorly depleted defensive talent in 2019 and 2020.

Well, I'd bet good money on the Jags (with Bortles) not reaching the SB in the next few years, let alone winning it so...

how much cap do we save if we cut bortles after this year? i know we take a hit of dead money, but what can we save if we do so?

(10-07-2018, 07:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'm just worried about the cap hit because they obviously have all the faith in the world in him, so they aren't cutting him. Many chances to draft a potential replacement or sign one and they won't do it. He is playing this contract out.

It's okay to lose some defensive talent if you actually have an offense who can go down the field and score. As long as you keep the core, Ramsey, Yannick, Smith, Jack, a good QB can cover up other deficiency's. And I don't see why Cousins won't be that in 2020.

(10-07-2018, 07:56 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 07:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Two problems here. You're ignoring the guaranteed money difference again and the out clause for the Jags after 2019 with Bortles.  

I'm just worried about the cap hit because they obviously have all the faith in the world in him, so they aren't cutting him. Many chances to draft a potential replacement or sign one and they won't do it. He is playing this contract out.

It's okay to lose some defensive talent if you actually have an offense who can go down the field and score. As long as you keep the core, Ramsey, Yannick, Smith, Jack, a good QB can cover up other deficiency's. And I don't see why Cousins won't be that in 2020.
Doubt you keep all those guys and pay Cousins 31 million in 2020.  You'd probably have to choose between Ramsey and Ngakoue. 

And I see no reason why the Jags don't draft a QB in 2019 if Bortles continues to turn the ball over like he did today.

Your assumption of the team's long term confidence in him does not resonate with me.  Why would they give themselves an out clause in his mid-tier contract if they believed in him to that degree?

(10-07-2018, 07:31 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 07:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The truth??  It's simple freakin math. You keep trying to twist this [BLEEP].  Blake's contract is $57.5 million dollars less in guaranteed money.  You can't keep sweeping that under the rug. He also has an out after 2019 that will let them start a young QB in 2020 on a cheap rookie deal. 

In comparison - Cousins' salary in 2020 is 31 million - in a year when Ramsey and Ngakoue are due.  

You can try to spin this crap all night, but it's stupid. And I didn't even hate the idea of Cousins in teal, I just understand why they didn't do it.

I do not care about guaranteed money when we're talking three year deals. I don't get why you can't understand that. We're not cutting Bortles and leaving 16.5 mil in dead cap, so year 2 might as well be guaranteed even if it is not "guaranteed".

You should care. It's a ton of money that would dismantle a great defense in year three and hurt it in year two.

Cousins may not have even wanted to come here. And if it became a bidding war then the contract would have been even higher.

Taking Chark over Mason Rudolph was a huge mistake.

(10-07-2018, 08:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 07:56 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I'm just worried about the cap hit because they obviously have all the faith in the world in him, so they aren't cutting him. Many chances to draft a potential replacement or sign one and they won't do it. He is playing this contract out.

Doubt you keep all those guys and pay Cousins 31 million in 2020.  You'd probably have to choose between Ramsey and Ngakoue. 

And I see no reason why the Jags don't draft a QB in 2019 if Bortles continues to turn the ball over like he did today.

Your assumption of the team's long term confidence in him does not resonate with me.  Why would they give themselves an out clause in his mid-tier contract if they believed in him to that degree?

Ngakoue hasn't been all that this year. 

Give me a very good QB over a very good DE.
You guys think too highly of our defense but look what happens when they face a great offense. Same thing would happen against the Rams, and I really doubt this team can beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

(10-07-2018, 08:14 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Doubt you keep all those guys and pay Cousins 31 million in 2020.  You'd probably have to choose between Ramsey and Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue hasn't been all that this year. 

You guys think too highly of our defense but look what happens when they face a great offense. Same thing would happen against the Rams, and I really doubt this team can beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

The defense played well today. The let Kelce get loose against linebackers four too many times and made a few dumb penalties, but plenty of the chiefs points came from turnovers and that D held Hill and Hunt to pretty low stat lines. 

It wasn't great, but against that offense, the defense did fairly well. 

The problem was turnovers/QB play, and first half offensive gameplan. Takeaway those turnovers and the defense plays well enough to win in that game. Ngakoue had several pressures, two hits on the QB and a tackle for loss today BTW.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 08:32 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(10-07-2018, 08:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:14 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Ngakoue hasn't been all that this year. 

The defense played well today. The let Kelce get loose against linebackers four too many times and made a few dumb penalties, but plenty of the chiefs points came from turnovers and that D held Hill and Hunt to pretty low stat lines. 

It wasn't great, but against that offense, the defense did fairly well. 

The problem was turnovers/QB play, and first half offensive gameplan. Takeaway those turnovers and the defense plays well enough to win in that game. Ngakoue had several pressures, two hits on the QB and a tackle for loss today BTW.

Yeah the problem is they aren't good enough to win with Bortles against great teams. 

And I gotta agree with Krayz, I also think the scheme is not making any favors to the defense.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 08:33 PM by Upper.)

(10-07-2018, 08:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You should care. It's a ton of money that would dismantle a great defense in year three and hurt it in year two.

It's only a ton of money if you are comparing it to cutting Bortles in year 3. I had forgotten how your argument frequently includes cutting Blake and inserting not elite pick cheap rookie QB without a hiccup. I live in the reality where that is an extremely small possibility.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 08:37 PM by TheSchmidt.)

(10-07-2018, 08:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 07:56 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: I'm just worried about the cap hit because they obviously have all the faith in the world in him, so they aren't cutting him. Many chances to draft a potential replacement or sign one and they won't do it. He is playing this contract out.

With the rising cap and the cuttable players between now and then, I don't think it'd be too much of an issue. Ramsey will likely be the highest paid CB in the game when that time comes, but Smith is already locked in, and Jack isn't going to make more than him. Yannick will probably make about what Campbell is making now (between 14-17 mil), future performance still pending.

And you'll have guys like Parnell, ASJ, Church, Hayden, Lee, Dareus with big contracts they can get out of. And possibly Campbell depending how he ages, and of course Fournette.

Maybe that's a sign they don't believe in him, but they haven't made a very big effort to replace him if they didn't. Had a chance to draft someone two years ago, opted for the back even when they saw the mistake Dallas made with Zeke over Ramsey the year before that benefitted them. Could have tried to make a big play for a QB in the draft this year like KC did with Mahomes, but looks like they weren't interested. Passed on Cousins, and there won't be another good QB in free agency for the foreseeable future.

(10-07-2018, 08:32 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You should care. It's a ton of money that would dismantle a great defense in year three and hurt it in year two.

It's only a ton of money if you are comparing it to cutting Bortles in year 3. I had forgotten how your argument frequently includes cutting Blake and inserting not elite pick cheap rookie QB without a hiccup. I live in the reality where that is an extremely small possibility.
He's not a rookie if they draft him in 2019 and start him in 2020.  And you can't call him non-elite if you don't know who it is. 
You are the one operating in an alternate reality where you keep claiming 55 million is not a lot of money, LOL. 

Newsflash:
55 million dollars IS INDEED a lot of money despite you denying it -  and that 55 mil affects the cap negatively.

(10-07-2018, 08:25 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah the problem is they aren't good enough to win with Bortles against great teams. 

And I gotta agree with Krayz, I also think the scheme is not making any favors to the defense.

Didn't we just trash the Pats with Bortles playing near flawlessly? Or are only the Chiefs "great" now?

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 09:08 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(10-07-2018, 09:03 PM)JNev Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:25 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah the problem is they aren't good enough to win with Bortles against great teams. 

Didn't we just trash the Pats with Bortles playing near flawlessly? Or are only the Chiefs "great" now?

The Lions also beat the Patriots. 

Pats didn't have Edelman or Gordon when we played them. 

Also this team just lost to a Titans team with an injured Mariota lol, with Bortles playing like garbage again.

(10-07-2018, 09:03 PM)JNev Wrote:

They’re damn sure better than us and the way the Pats are playing right now I don’t see us beating them in a rematch.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(10-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 09:03 PM)JNev Wrote: Didn't we just trash the Pats with Bortles playing near flawlessly? Or are only the Chiefs "great" now?

They’re damn sure better than us and the way the Pats are playing right now I don’t see us beating them in a rematch.

hahaha Man you need to rewatch that Patriots game. They never had a chance. If you think Josh Gordon and his 60 yards in 2 games really tips the scale because he got a TD catch against the JV squad secondary the Colts have then I have a bridge to sell you

(10-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 09:03 PM)JNev Wrote: Didn't we just trash the Pats with Bortles playing near flawlessly? Or are only the Chiefs "great" now?

Right now. There's a lot of season left. 

The team is actually starting this season in a very similar fashion to last season.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 09:31 PM by Eye of the Storm.)

(10-07-2018, 09:17 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 09:09 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: They’re damn sure better than us and the way the Pats are playing right now I don’t see us beating them in a rematch.

Right now. There's a lot of season left. 

The team is actually starting this season in a very similar fashion to last season.

We’re also playing a first place schedule instead of a last place schedule and we’re not sneaking up on anybody. We’re not scoring defensive TDs at the same clip we were last year and our QB play is nothing to write home about. Injury bug is also hitting us hard this season. I’m just trying to be realistic about how this team is playing, and right now they honestly don’t look like a playoff team much less a Super Bowl team. Hope I’m wrong because that’s some crow I’d love to eat.
Jaguars Fundamentalist