Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All that wasted money

(10-08-2018, 11:12 AM)Inziladun Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 10:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It was one game. It doesn't define nor make or break our season. Still plenty of football left. R-E-L-A-X. 

No sense in getting caught up in the "what if's" and "could have been's". Mahomes is successful in Kansas City because he's successful in Kansas City. It doesn't mean it would translate to success anywhere else in the NFL. Same thing goes for Cousins. They broke the bank for that guy and even though he's looked good here and there in a few games. Guess what? You're what your record says you are.

None of what I'm saying is based on one game. And Cousins with this team is 4-1 or 5-0. Vikings have lost on the backs of their defense not the other way around. I'd give the front office a pass on Mahomes, although I don't think his innate talent or ability stems from him being in Kansas City, the guy can throw the ball, which is more than our QB can do half the time. My only problem with Cousins is his reputation for choking. Ironically Bortles has done the opposite outside the Buffalo game, but other than that, Cousins is superior in every other way. I'm all for Bortles, I desperately want him to be the guy. His personality fits this team like a glove and he's a home grown Florida Boy. Not much to dislike in the man. But he's too inconsistent. I wonder if everyone will continue to defend him 3 years from now if we wasted away a superbowl window and we're onto a new QB.

Anyway, all this and I'm not even saying Cousins is the answer for our future. In fact, I don't believe that at all. I just think he was the answer for the next couple of years. But oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. This team does need a change in philosophy moving forward though and that is what i'm curious to see more than anything.

That's not true, the loss against Buffalo is completely on Cousins. I believe he turned it over twice in his own red zone in like the first quarter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-07-2018, 06:08 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: hes right, a lot of bad moves.. keeping bortles was a massive mistake.. one that is likely to haunt us especially if we cut multiple defensive players after this season

the defense was EXPOSED today.. they are good, but they are not nearly as good as they think, or even some of us.  A lot of that I think is scheme, I think rushing 4 constantly and sitting in zone is just a waste of our talent

however, it is clearly the offense that continues to hold this team back in a massive way

we are going NO WHERE with this QB

Here's what I wrote to Gene Frenette yesterday before the game after reading his article:

"Gene,

Just read your article today and I jumped out of my seat when I read that.  Bortles?  Ascending?  Really?  I get that you need to be a rah-rah guy for the team but reality obviously has not sunk in for you.  Bortles is the essential Eli/Fitzpatrick QB that we will never know which one shows up each week - Jekyll or Hyde.

Today will be a horrible one for Jaguars fans.  They will look across the field today and see the Hall of Fame to be QB that they passed on for a RB that can't stay on the field.  Coughlin and Caldwell are getting well deserved accolades for their defensive overhaul but that will be short lived when all these high priced guys go elsewhere because they never could win with Bortles.

Had the Jags taken Mahomes in 2017, they'd be well on their way to their SECOND Superbowl.

Sad but true."

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 06:02 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(10-08-2018, 09:34 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 05:53 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: 19 millions or so on Bortles
Like 13 on Norwell
Moncrief
Lee
Hayden
ASJ

Norwell has been only ok all the others are mediocre at best, we could have had Cousins and A Rob. 

Fournette over Mahomes
Smoot might as well be released 3rd round pick wasted like B. Anger

And before someone says "but but but if we signed Cousins we wouldn't be to resign our great defensive players" well our "great" defense just got roflstomped by the #1 offense. 

Ngakoue is pretty good but not great, doesn't deserve to break the bank. His sack was, in part, thanks to Fowler.

R-E-L-A-X. Our team got it's [BLEEP] handed to them by an excellent football team. And we all know this offense is hit or miss. It's been an ongoing trend all year. 

Giants - FLAT
Patriots - GREAT
tacks - FLAT
Jets - GREAT
Chiefs - FLAT

There was going to eventually be a game where this offense would be required to keep up with an even better and well rounded offense. That day was yesterday. It's ONE game. We were 3 point underdogs to begin with. Was this loss embarrassing? Sure. But remember last year? When they got embarrassed by the tacks at home? And then by Arizona and San Francisco on the road? We still went onto have a great year. It's a marathon. Not a sprint. 

Breath my friend. Breath...

It's just that we had options and still went with Bortles. 

I am sorry but I already know how this season is gonna end for the Jags, and it is not with a SB win. Good season? Probably but we had the chance to sign Cousins and be really close to winning it all. 

Also the GM refuses to bring any competition at all and continues to make some dumb mistakes.

Just lol at anyone talking #$$&@ about Cousins, you really have no clue. Also on his interviews you can see the guy wants to be great unlike Mr. "I am not a natural passer".

(10-08-2018, 05:15 PM)MahiMike Wrote: Today will be a horrible one for Jaguars fans.  They will look across the field today and see the Hall of Fame to be QB that they passed on for a RB that can't stay on the field.  Coughlin and Caldwell are getting well deserved accolades for their defensive overhaul but that will be short lived when all these high priced guys go elsewhere because they never could win with Bortles.

Sad to do it, but agreed. Fournette > Mahomes. Nope. Not in a million years

(10-07-2018, 06:27 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: people won't like it, but you're mostly right

they had two big chances to upgrade the most important position on the team, and foolishly decided to go in another direction

picking a RB in the top 5 (lolololol) and thinking Cousins was not a big enough upgrade to Blake to make a difference (lolololol)

For those who say we could have drafted Mahomes in the 2017 draft, this is an interesting item from April2017 after KC drafted him:

10. Patrick Mahomes, QB Texas Tech — Kansas City Chiefs (from Buffalo)
GRADE: C-
[font=Aleo, serif]Analysis: Calling Mahomes a project is a major understatement. He’s nowhere near ready to play in the NFL. And, honestly, he may never be. Between his inconsistent accuracy due to poor mechanics, his tendency to bail from clean pockets and his lack of field vision, he’s going to leave as many big plays on the field as he creates. This was a risky pick.[/font]

Idk who is talking @&($& about Cousins? I’ve only seen he’s not significantly better than Blake (and the numbers fully support that) but he’s getting paid significantly more in a way we cannot afford if we want to keep our Top 5 Defense together

(10-09-2018, 01:42 PM)JNev Wrote: Idk who is talking @&($& about Cousins? I’ve only seen he’s not significantly better than Blake (and the numbers fully support that) but he’s getting paid significantly more in a way we cannot afford if we want to keep our Top 5 Defense together

Wow, delusional much?

(10-09-2018, 01:42 PM)JNev Wrote: Idk who is talking @&($& about Cousins? I’ve only seen he’s not significantly better than Blake (and the numbers fully support that) but he’s getting paid significantly more in a way we cannot afford if we want to keep our Top 5 Defense together
I'm not saying Cousins is elite but he's better than Bortles.

On the season, Cousins is 71% 1688 yards (2nd in the NFL) 11 TD's to only 2 interceptions. QB rating of 105.

Bortles 61% 1525 yards 8 TDs and 7 interceptions. QB rating of 82.4.

Cousins has been really good and went toe to toe with Goff and the Rams.

Like 13 on Norwell
Moncrief
Lee
Hayden
ASJ

Norwell has been only ok all the others are mediocre at best, we could have had Cousins and A Rob. 

Fournette over Mahomes

And before someone says "but but but if we signed Cousins we wouldn't be to resign our great defensive players" well our "great" defense just got roflstomped by the #1 offense. 

Ngakoue is pretty good but not great, doesn't deserve to break the bank. His sack was, in part, thanks to Fowler.

we are all dispointed in teams prefermace espailley the chiefs game,but let me ask you something.   Could you beat any of those players one on one. I highly doubt it cause they are still better then you cause they are pro football players,your a fan.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(10-09-2018, 03:46 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
Like 13 on Norwell
Moncrief
Lee
Hayden
ASJ

Fournette over Mahomes

we are all dispointed in teams prefermace espailley the chiefs game,but let me ask you something.   Could you beat any of those players one on one. I highly doubt it cause they are still better then you cause they are pro football players,your a fan.

Laughing

(10-09-2018, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I'm not saying Cousins is elite but he's better than Bortles.

On the season, Cousins is 71% 1688 yards (2nd in the NFL) 11 TD's to only 2 interceptions. QB rating of 105.

Cousins lost to the Bills and played worse than Blake did yesterday. Cousins has started off nicely but he’s gifted with awesome weapons and wasn’t significantly better than Blake last year. If you think this 5 game sample size is more reliable than the previous 16 then idk what to say

It would be hard to put more inaccuracies in a two sentence post if you tried.

(10-09-2018, 04:50 PM)JNev Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm not saying Cousins is elite but he's better than Bortles.

Cousins lost to the Bills and played worse than Blake did yesterday. Cousins has started off nicely but he’s gifted with awesome weapons and wasn’t significantly better than Blake last year. If you think this 5 game sample size is more reliable than the previous 16 then idk what to say

It's hard to play quarterback worse than what Blake did Sunday. You're too strung up on the numbers. Blake put those numbers up in a gameplan with safe throws designed not to lose games with our defense, he was never asked to go out and win any games. With Washington, Cousins is all they had and he made that team while he was there respectable. 

Cousins is blessed with maybe the best WR duo in the league, but he still has to make all the throws. In just the few games I've see with Minny this year, they can run seam routes, post corners from the slot, pretty much everything. Blake simply can't make the throws Cousins can. That's why you see crossers and go routes on the sideline all game.

(10-09-2018, 04:50 PM)JNev Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 03:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm not saying Cousins is elite but he's better than Bortles.

Go check Cousins entire career. It’s better than anything Blake has ever done. Cousins lost to the Bills but Blake can’t beat the Titans if his life depended on it.... and the Bills beat the Titans.

Blake is just flat out not asked to do much in this offense. On the other hand, Cousins has been asked to win games with his arm. Not rely on the ground game and a defense.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM by JNev.)

(10-09-2018, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 04:50 PM)JNev Wrote: Cousins lost to the Bills and played worse than Blake did yesterday. Cousins has started off nicely but he’s gifted with awesome weapons and wasn’t significantly better than Blake last year. If you think this 5 game sample size is more reliable than the previous 16 then idk what to say
Go check Cousins entire career. It’s better than anything Blake has ever done. Cousins lost to the Bills but Blake can’t beat the Titans if his life depended on it.... and the Bills beat the Titans.

Blake is just flat out not asked to do much in this offense. On the other hand, Cousins has been asked to win games with his arm. Not rely on the ground game and a defense.

Like arguing with a brick wall...

I guess people are just still afraid of advanced analytics and want to resort to the "eye test". Reminds me of the old geezers in Money Ball. "That pitcher has an ugly girlfriend, can't draft him" "He just looks like he won't pan out" "Sports aren't played on computers you nerds"

Cousins is 4-19 against .500 or better teams. That is unacceptable no matter if he's playing with Jarret Dillard and Jordan Todman as his supporting cast

Cousins is significantly better than Bortles to every non Jaguar fan and to most Jaguars fans who know what they are looking at

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 12:57 PM by Inziladun.)

Bortle's redeeming qualities include his Durability and his legs. Not being able to throw a Spiral or consistently hit a down the field throw is a pretty bad trait to have as a QB and this is something that has not improved in 5 years. We have Bortles for this year and probably through next year in the least. I hope he succeeds, but it's hard to constantly defend your QB when everyone is saying what I already know in my heart. Bortles is an average NFL QB and he is holding this team back during a window we can't afford him to. And ultimately that leads me to question the Front Office, as well as they have done since getting rid of Gus. I wonder how "Old School" Coughlin/Marrone is trying to coach this team or if they just inherited the Gus/Caldwell rebuild strategy and are rolling with it. I'm not convinced "Old School" gets us where we all want to go.

(10-10-2018, 12:34 PM)JNev Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Go check Cousins entire career. It’s better than anything Blake has ever done. Cousins lost to the Bills but Blake can’t beat the Titans if his life depended on it.... and the Bills beat the Titans.

Like arguing with a brick wall...

I guess people are just still afraid of advanced analytics and want to resort to the "eye test". Reminds me of the old geezers in Money Ball. "That pitcher has an ugly girlfriend, can't draft him" "He just looks like he won't pan out" "Sports aren't played on computers you nerds"

Cousins is 4-19 against .500 or better teams. That is unacceptable no matter if he's playing with Jarret Dillard and Jordan Todman as his supporting cast
So you didn't go look up Cousins stats I assume.

It's ok to say someone is better than Blake. There are plenty of QBs better than him.

Let's all just remember ... a change at QB via FA does not mean it's instantly better. Nor does drafting a replacement. We've seen draftees come and go (Leftwich/Gabbert).

Blake is our best option, and has proven he actually CAN be successful.

We must not forget, this team has a formula for winning. It includes playing with a lead, ball control, and a suffocating defense. Take the "playing with a lead" away ... by two or more TDs ... man, that's when we are 100% exposed. Blake has to take risks, and we know what that leads to.
You're Welcome.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM by Inziladun.)

(10-10-2018, 02:15 PM)maddenisfordorks Wrote: Let's all just remember ... a change at QB via FA does not mean it's instantly better. Nor does drafting a replacement. We've seen draftees come and go (Leftwich/Gabbert).

Blake is our best option, and has proven he actually CAN be successful.

We must not forget, this team has a formula for winning. It includes playing with a lead, ball control, and a suffocating defense. Take the "playing with a lead" away ... by two or more TDs ...  man, that's when we are 100% exposed. Blake has to take risks, and we know what that leads to.

The formula for winning is dominating the time of possession. Something we haven't done very well yet this season, in part thanks to Bortle's costly turnovers. I honestly think we should take a long look at how Carolina's doing it this year on offense. Their offense with our Defense would be the perfect recipe for what we're trying to accomplish with Bortles. Of course take out all of the Cam Newton superman plays at the goal line.