Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell has to be done right?

(10-30-2018, 04:24 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Unless this team has a miraculous turnaround after the bye week, Caldwell should and will be fired after this season is over. How can they keep a guy whose track record of first round picks is so bad? The only good one was Ramsay and Stevie Wonder could have made that pick. Hiring and extending Gus Bradley (especially the latter) was even more nonsensical. His good moves such as moving up to take Jack in the 2nd and free agents Bouye and Campbell are too few and far between to make up for all his misses. Khan and Coughlin realize this team can recover next year with a good draft and less injuries so they need to move on from Caldwell.

Linder, Telvin, Jack, Yannick, Jack, Harrison etc. are too few and far between?

Say what you want about the 1st round picks but I think you're selling the guy a little short in the later rounds.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Are we the only team in football with basically two GMs? Seems kind of funny lol.

(10-30-2018, 04:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:24 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Unless this team has a miraculous turnaround after the bye week, Caldwell should and will be fired after this season is over. How can they keep a guy whose track record of first round picks is so bad? The only good one was Ramsay and Stevie Wonder could have made that pick. Hiring and extending Gus Bradley (especially the latter) was even more nonsensical. His good moves such as moving up to take Jack in the 2nd and free agents Bouye and Campbell are too few and far between to make up for all his misses. Khan and Coughlin realize this team can recover next year with a good draft and less injuries so they need to move on from Caldwell.

Say what you want about the 1st round picks but I think you're selling the guy a little short in the later rounds.

Indeed. If anything, Caldwell is Shack Harris 2.0 lol

And as far as the 2015 draft, I think it was just snake bit.  From the 1st round that year, 11 of 32 picks have been cut or traded.  And it wasn't reasonable to foresee how the Fowler pick would turn out.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(10-30-2018, 04:32 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Are we the only team in football with basically two GMs? Seems kind of funny lol.

I think the Phins had two decision makes similar to us with Grier and Tannebaum.
The Browns tried it with Podesta and Sashi kinda...
The Bengals have Mike Brown as owner/GM but another person Katie Blackburn is an executive VP like Coughlin... they also have HC Lewis in on decision making process.
And then there is the father and son duo Jones' in big D.

Personally I don't think any of the situations work 'overly great'.

(10-30-2018, 04:34 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Linder, Telvin, Jack, Yannick, Jack, Harrison etc. are too few and far between?

And as far as the 2015 draft, I think it was just snake bit.  From the 1st round that year, 11 of 32 picks have been cut or traded.  And it wasn't reasonable to foresee how the Fowler pick would turn out.

In 2013 everyone and I mean EVERYONE said Joeckel was the safe, lock it up, 10 year starter pick too. The Chiefs were heavily panned for skipping over him. Sometimes everyone is just wrong.

(10-30-2018, 04:32 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Are we the only team in football with basically two GMs? Seems kind of funny lol.

It's really more like a GM with a supervisor than "basically two GMs."

You are entitled to your opinion on this. Yannick was definitely a great pick and I neglected to mention that one. Your other examples are Adebatable. I already mentioned Jack and you named him twice. The jury is out on Harrison, Caldwell passed 4 times on Smith so he doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that pick and Linder has been injury prone. After Caldwell extended Gus Bradley during his 3rd season when he had the 2nd worst record in NFL history (the 1st place coach owned the team), he should have been fired immediately. That has to rank up there with the Browns giving Hugh Jackson another year after last season and we saw how that turned out.

(10-30-2018, 04:19 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote: Jeff Passan just tweeted about his podcast like a week ago (I didn't listen to it I don't have iTunes) saying Couglin wanted to move on from Bortles but he was more or less coerced into keeping him by Caldwell and Marrone. If someone wants to listen to it it might give more to the story, but his tweet definitely made it sound like Coughlin wasn't a fan.

EDIT: Hmm could have sworn it was Passan but I don't see it on his timeline...it was one of the major dudes tho...

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2018/10...e-bortles/

Ah yes Charles Robinson the other yahoo dude. Thanks.

(10-30-2018, 01:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That stuff was all unsubstantiated rumor. 

There was no named source.  Just floated on twitter by one talking head and then beat to death by seven others based on the one tweet. 

It's certainly possible it's true, it's certainly possible it's a load of crap as well.

Jeff Passan just tweeted about his podcast like a week ago (I didn't listen to it I don't have iTunes) saying Couglin wanted to move on from Bortles but he was more or less coerced into keeping him by Caldwell and Marrone. If someone wants to listen to it it might give more to the story, but his tweet definitely made it sound like Coughlin wasn't a fan.

EDIT: Hmm could have sworn it was Passan but I don't see it on his timeline...it was one of the major dudes tho...

So the Yahoo NFL reporter knows a pats staffer. Pats staffer asks TC about Bortles and TC has only good things to say about Bortles.  The pats staffer then just makes the leap that Caldwell and Marrone must have talked TC into feeling this way and he wouldn't have arrived there on his own. 

LOL

The lines of correlation there are so weak it's freaking ridiculous. 

I have know clue where TC landed or currently lands on BB5 -- but that "story" is nonsense.

(10-30-2018, 04:30 PM)Kane Wrote:

So Coughlin gets a pass for extending Blake, drafting an oft-injured RB in the top 5 and selecting Taven Bryan and Smoot over offensive linemen?

Wondering why fans keep glossing over Coughlin like he hasn't had final say over pretty much everything in the last 2 years.

Duh.

Good = Coughlin

Bad = Caldwell
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-30-2018, 04:59 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:31 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Linder, Telvin, Jack, Yannick, Jack, Harrison etc. are too few and far between?

You are entitled to your opinion on this. Yannick was definitely a great pick and I neglected to mention that one. Your other examples are Adebatable. I already mentioned Jack and you named him twice. The jury is out on Harrison, Caldwell passed 4 times on Smith so he doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that pick and Linder has been injury prone. After Caldwell extended Gus Bradley during his 3rd season when he had the 2nd worst record in NFL history (the 1st place coach owned the team), he should have been fired immediately. That has to rank up there with the Browns giving Hugh Jackson another year after last season and we saw how that turned out.

Serious question.  Is that a good example of circular logic?  Regardless, I can't help but laugh.

Whatever TC wants TC gets. As Caldwell’s overseer he is culpable for the goofs so you can bet he is reassessing his trust of Dave’s opinions. I believe Caldwell is tap dancing real quickly trying to salvage a team whose white flag is close to appearing. Bortles played good ball in London but we needed great there at the end and his inability to deliver is the pink elephant in the organization that HAS to be addressed and resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(10-31-2018, 03:10 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: Whatever TC wants TC gets. As Caldwell’s overseer he is culpable for the goofs so you can bet he is reassessing his trust of Dave’s opinions.  I believe Caldwell is tap dancing real quickly trying to salvage a team whose white flag is close to appearing. Bortles played good ball in London but we needed great there at the end and his inability to deliver is the pink elephant in the organization that HAS to be addressed and resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feels like that white flag is flying high and proud right now
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(10-21-2018, 04:14 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd fire Hackett before anyone else, but extending Bortles was a HUGE mistake on Caldwell's part. That was inexcusable.

Bigger than drafting him in the 1st place?

Bigger than letting the weapons we had on offense walk?

Bigger than paying Norwell all that money to fix our oline?

We've drafted nearly the entire starting offensive unit and it might be one of the worse offensive units in our history. Think about that, why does that unit suck so bad if we are so good at drafting talent?

(10-21-2018, 04:11 PM)Predator Wrote: The team played in the AFC championship game  this January.

Nobody is getting fired.

You think last year is going to excuse what looks like a 5-11 season at best? because we had success last year we won't fire anyone? LOL ok bud good luck
5 and 11.....Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.....you so funny. Dream on deluded one. We won our last game of the season five weeks ago. 3 and 13 baby. Hello 2019 Draft. But the draft won't save us if we have the same management team at the top picking more losers. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

(10-21-2018, 04:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd fire Hackett before anyone else, but extending Bortles was a HUGE mistake on Caldwell's part. That was inexcusable.

We've drafted nearly the entire starting offensive unit and it might be one of the worse offensive units in our history. Think about that, why does that unit suck so bad if we are so good at drafting talent?

(10-21-2018, 04:11 PM)Predator Wrote: The team played in the AFC championship game  this January.

Nobody is getting fired.

You think last year is going to excuse what looks like a 5-11 season at best? because we had success last year we won't fire anyone? LOL ok bud good luck
5 and 11.....Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.....you so funny. Dream on deluded one. We won our last game of the season five weeks ago. 3 and 13 baby. Hello 2019 Draft. But the draft won't save us if we have the same management team at the top picking more losers. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Nobody is getting fired.

(11-11-2018, 07:46 PM)jon2005 Wrote:
(10-21-2018, 04:14 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Bigger than drafting him in the 1st place?

Comedy gold.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Patience is a virtue, and teams with a constant turnover among the FO and coaching staff don't do well in the long run. However, there has to be something done with Caldwell and the coaching staff this offseason. We've got a losing team that is over the cap - just too many dumb moves like giving big contracts to Bortles and Lee when they were clearly not deserving.

(10-30-2018, 04:44 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-30-2018, 04:34 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: And as far as the 2015 draft, I think it was just snake bit.  From the 1st round that year, 11 of 32 picks have been cut or traded.  And it wasn't reasonable to foresee how the Fowler pick would turn out.

In 2013 everyone and I mean EVERYONE said Joeckel was the safe, lock it up, 10 year starter pick too. The Chiefs were heavily panned for skipping over him. Sometimes everyone is just wrong.

You can't say EVERYONE. That was a pick that I did get right. I hated Joeckel. When the pick was made, I was so mad, I threw my ottoman into the kitchen and nearly took out the picture window. Thank God, I didn't. I've learned to calm down since then, but I knew he was gonna suck. He was a typical Texas A&M OT, that was all finesse, who lacked functional strength and got terrorized by bull rushers. I wasn't the only one who thought this way either. There were others.