Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interview With Bortles About Benching

(11-29-2018, 11:49 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 10:01 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: BLAKE BORTLES DID NOT GET US TO THE AFCC GAME!!! STOP SAYING IT! He was simply along for the ride. This is like saying Trent Dilfer won the SB for the Ravens.

Why are you people so delusional about Bortles?

Im sorry but we dont get to that game with out him in the Pitt game the week before and we dont out play the pats without him and he did outplay TB until the coaches actied like little girls and went soft on defense and offense and it had nothing to do with Blake.
He threw for 214 and 1 TD. That's really hard to replicate. No other QB could do that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM by old_man.)

(11-29-2018, 12:10 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 11:49 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Im sorry but we dont get to that game with out him in the Pitt game the week before and we dont out play the pats without him and he did outplay TB until the coaches actied like little girls and went soft on defense and offense and it had nothing to do with Blake.

That never happened to some folks.

They erase it from their minds as if there was some other QB there doing that.

They say Blake has only thrown picks and bad passes.

lol

(11-29-2018, 12:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 11:49 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Im sorry but we dont get to that game with out him in the Pitt game the week before and we dont out play the pats without him and he did outplay TB until the coaches actied like little girls and went soft on defense and offense and it had nothing to do with Blake.
He threw for 214 and 1 TD. That's really hard to replicate. No other QB could do that.

Go re watch the game.

I guess TC saw it the same way.....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(11-29-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys and you're logic...sheesh.

Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

But now, I've just seen WAY too many easy third down conversions wasted by Blake's poor decisions or terrible accuracy.  Too many drives ended by flat out bad play from the QB position. So now I wonder if the Jags brass may feel the same way. 

Here are two examples of things that happen very routinely that I grabbed very quickly from the bills tape.

First - on third and 1 Bortles dumps for no gain when he's got a wide open TE 9 yards downfield as his option A on the rollout.  This is a play designed to help QBs by giving them two easy reads in one field of vision without having to look around. You've got a primary and a dump off. He screws it up. Punt follows. 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Second - Blake has Cole breaking to the inside across the numbers toward the hash and he throws the ball where Cole must stop and leap backward to attempt a catch. Ends in a pick.  He had time, and he had several other placement options to avoid the inside defender. He throws a virtually uncatchable ball that's tipped for a pick. 

These are by no means isolated examples. There are dozens of such bad throws and stupid decisions to document in the game film from the season. 

I get that he's been hobbled by the line and the receivers drop rates have been ugly, but there are too many of these plays where neither are the case and he screws it up on his own. 

I just don't know if trotting out number 5 is an option anymore even with a bolstered O-Line and another receiving threat added in. Sure it's possible, and I get it, but I wonder if he's broken that last straw.

By no means do i know the play call but simply looking at what you have given if you have ever played QB you can see that the throw to Cole was not that bad as ppl think and probably put in the right spot. I cant see more then what is shown but if i had to guess at it. The throw was thrown like cole was supposed to run a 10 and out he turned in planted then went out so the timing of the throw is off that is on BB or Cole it just depends on what route was called and how he was supposed to run it. I cant see how much presser was on BB so he might have been rushed. so it could be a bad pass or it could be a bad route run.

The 3rd and 1 play is easy he is moving the same way as the TE to hit him in stride he would have to lead him and the outside DB was sitting in zone on the 40 and would have either borken it up or taken it in for a pick 6. his only choice there is to dump it off. its matter of aerdynamics if he threw at the TE it would end up behind him and the safety coming up would have int it. if he threw it out far enough for the TE to run to it the outside DB would have broken it up or int it.

Just my opinions

(11-29-2018, 12:15 PM)old_man Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 12:10 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: That never happened to some folks.

They erase it from their minds as if there was some other QB there doing that.

They say Blake has only thrown picks and bad passes.

lol

(11-29-2018, 12:14 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He threw for 214 and 1 TD. That's really hard to replicate. No other QB could do that.

Go re watch the game.

I guess TC saw it the same way.....
Yea. And it's pretty clear it was the wrong move.

Trust me I will never forget Blake Bortles and the handful of good games for us. You know he doesn't have many 4th quarter comebacks or winning drives? He needs perfect play to execute.

We took a project at QB and we are back to where we started.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-29-2018, 08:38 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: what a waste of 5 years.....smh

I wouldn't say last year was wasted.  

One of the most enjoyable years I remember.

(11-29-2018, 12:54 PM)nate Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 08:38 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: what a waste of 5 years.....smh

I wouldn't say last year was wasted.  

Very enjoyable but I had a sinking suspicion it was a one year thing. I wanted to be wrong.
The Khan Years

(11-29-2018, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys and you're logic...sheesh.

Yeah. I get it. And up until a few weeks ago, I thought the best path forward was to start Blake next year (with some O-Line help) and let a rookie QB sit at least 8 games if not a season before taking over. 

But now, I've just seen WAY too many easy third down conversions wasted by Blake's poor decisions or terrible accuracy.  Too many drives ended by flat out bad play from the QB position. So now I wonder if the Jags brass may feel the same way. 

Here are two examples of things that happen very routinely that I grabbed very quickly from the bills tape.

First - on third and 1 Bortles dumps for no gain when he's got a wide open TE 9 yards downfield as his option A on the rollout.  This is a play designed to help QBs by giving them two easy reads in one field of vision without having to look around. You've got a primary and a dump off. He screws it up. Punt follows. 

Second - Blake has Cole breaking to the inside across the numbers toward the hash and he throws the ball where Cole must stop and leap backward to attempt a catch. Ends in a pick.  He had time, and he had several other placement options to avoid the inside defender. He throws a virtually uncatchable ball that's tipped for a pick. 

These are by no means isolated examples. There are dozens of such bad throws and stupid decisions to document in the game film from the season. 

I get that he's been hobbled by the line and the receivers drop rates have been ugly, but there are too many of these plays where neither are the case and he screws it up on his own. 

I just don't know if trotting out number 5 is an option anymore even with a bolstered O-Line and another receiving threat added in. Sure it's possible, and I get it, but I wonder if he's broken that last straw.

Wow. Very astute. 

No one says it’s all Blake’s fault, or at least I don’t feel that way. He’s had things against his favor. 

But playing devils advocate, if Blake’s 2017 season was the best he had, do we really wish to settle for that?

(11-29-2018, 10:10 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Simple.

I keep harping on this. He'll be starting next year pending a big QB signing.

Yup. Draft the best O-lineman, run stuffing DT, LB. Get back Blake in school during the offseason with the QB guru in California.  Jaguars will be back stronger, healthier than ever to make one more run at the SB.  And If Blake is cut or released, it counts $16.5 mil against the cap.  No team is going to trade a 7th rounder and take on his salary.   We stuck with him. The old gang will be back. Power football baby.
This all day. Lets just hire the QB GURU as the QB coach, have Borts really spinnin that pigskin. BOAT 2019 is back baby!!!

If you're arguing that your QB does more good than bad, then he isn't doing nearly enough good.

My guess is that perhaps 1 of 4 things is going to happen.

1.  Blake Bortles is cut prior to training camp.

2.  The team somehow works out a trade for him in the off-season prior to the draft.

3.  I thought that I read somewhere that his cap hit is lower after a certain time (June/July?).  The team either works a trade after that time or just cuts him.

4.  He remains on the roster for training camp with some kind of competition coming in to challenge him for the starting position.

My gut instinct tells me that option 2 or 3 is the most likely scenario.  I just don't think that he will be one of the 53 at the start of next season.  While some argue against a trade for him because of salary, my thinking is that a trade might involve another player and perhaps draft picks.  Just as an example (and perhaps reaching) maybe an OL or a WR with some salary that would come with that player to offset the salary cost?  I don't know and I am by no means an expert regarding such deals.

Regarding the OP, he was both honest and humble about the situation in the interview.  He acknowledged that he didn't do a good enough job and lost his position.  He also stated that he wanted to more-or-less emulate what Chad Henne did when he lost the starting position.  Give as much help or advice to Kessler and do what he can to help the team win a game.

Like him or not it appears that he is handling it like a man and a true professional.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 05:08 PM by Mowerguy.)

Like all of you last year was a wonderful ride and I enjoyed
it thoroughly thinking the Jaguars.....who I've supported from the start....
were getting back to winning football.
first three games this year.....still counting on tough games...but enough winning to make it to AFC South.
you all know the rest.....injuries, poor play calling, defense going awol and a QB that regressed.

Bottom line....the fan base suffered the first three tears with optimisim.....was ecstatic for a fourth year .....and now we're back where we started after
lame gabbert.
Love dem' Jags.....but wow.....just wow.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Some of you must be drunk.

No way, shape, or form will BLake be on the jaguars roster next season.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-29-2018, 01:30 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 12:54 PM)nate Wrote: I wouldn't say last year was wasted.  

Very enjoyable but I had a sinking suspicion it was a one year thing. I wanted to be wrong.

I don't think so. This isn't 2015, there is talent on the team. Of course they'll need to make some strategic cuts this off season, but with a good draft and reasonable QB play we could be back in it sooner rather than later.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-29-2018, 07:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 01:30 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Very enjoyable but I had a sinking suspicion it was a one year thing. I wanted to be wrong.

I don't think so. This isn't 2015, there is talent on the team. Of course they'll need to make some strategic cuts this off season, but with a good draft and reasonable QB play we could be back in it sooner rather than later.

No problem and I believe what you are saying has a strong possibility.  I meant about Bortles leading the team.  I was hoping the wrist surgery was a major factor in the duck throwing and that he had turned a corner on reading and reacting.
The Khan Years

(11-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:38 AM)Dimson Wrote: It was not a waste. We got to the AFC Championship game and should have won it. He is good with good pieces around him, but this season he faltered when his OL went down and his WRs forgot how to catch.

Simple.

I agree.  We can afford to eat that much salary cap for a back up.  They will bring in someone who is a supposedly a QB GURU, who will say he is fixed, just to get Bortles on the field.  And I cant blame them.  All the people who decided to resign him are still here.  NOW...if there are changes at the top, then maybe, just maybe someone else will be the starting QB.

(11-30-2018, 12:51 AM)conus24 Wrote:

I agree.  We can afford to eat that much salary cap for a back up.  They will bring in someone who is a supposedly a QB GURU, who will say he is fixed, just to get Bortles on the field.  And I cant blame them.  All the people who decided to resign him are still here.  NOW...if there are changes at the top, then maybe, just maybe someone else will be the starting QB.

I feel like if you look at how Blake played before all of the injuries, he was ok. But when you barely have time after the snap, your mechanics will fail, you will see ghost, the clock in your head is clearly accelerated because you know you bout to die in 1001. Then you don't make throws cause your receivers are going to A. drop it. B. Tip it to the defender for a pick. or C. catch the ball then fumble it.

Lets see what Kessler looks like but he may ask to sit out after being behind this line.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-29-2018, 09:47 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 09:38 AM)Dimson Wrote: It was not a waste. We got to the AFC Championship game and should have won it. He is good with good pieces around him, but this season he faltered when his OL went down and his WRs forgot how to catch.

Simple.

Interesting take.  What do you think the purpose of putting the offset language in his guarantee portion of his deal next year was for then?

It's possible he's here.  It's possible he's starting. But based on his deal and everything we've seen from him to date, it's far more likely the team is planning to move on from him if they can.  The draft doesn't always go the way you want unless you have the number 1 overall pick which I don't think we'll end up with so it's possible they plan to move on from him but can't find an appropriate successor in the draft.  Also, I think signing a starting QB in free agency would require too much of a combined cap hit from the new QB's salary and Blake's dead money hit to be a viable solution here.  The successor, if he arrives next year, would almost certainly have to come in the draft and guys that are capable of starting right away tend to get drafted pretty high.

(11-30-2018, 10:56 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

Interesting take.  What do you think the purpose of putting the offset language in his guarantee portion of his deal next year was for then?

It's possible he's here.  It's possible he's starting. But based on his deal and everything we've seen from him to date, it's far more likely the team is planning to move on from him if they can.  The draft doesn't always go the way you want unless you have the number 1 overall pick which I don't think we'll end up with so it's possible they plan to move on from him but can't find an appropriate successor in the draft.  Also, I think signing a starting QB in free agency would require too much of a combined cap hit from the new QB's salary and Blake's dead money hit to be a viable solution here.  The successor, if he arrives next year, would almost certainly have to come in the draft and guys that are capable of starting right away tend to get drafted pretty high.

Based on our history, I feel strongly that they don't want to draft a guy to start immediately. Especially if he isn't NFL ready. The last two times that has happened, look how it has turned out. If they sign or trade for a vet like Stafford who everyone wants, they will cut Blake and draft a QB. If they don't, they probably will still draft a QB and Blake will start until the rookie is ready. I seriously believe they are trying to stay away from playing the rookie day 1.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(11-30-2018, 10:19 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 12:51 AM)conus24 Wrote: I agree.  We can afford to eat that much salary cap for a back up.  They will bring in someone who is a supposedly a QB GURU, who will say he is fixed, just to get Bortles on the field.  And I cant blame them.  All the people who decided to resign him are still here.  NOW...if there are changes at the top, then maybe, just maybe someone else will be the starting QB.

I feel like if you look at how Blake played before all of the injuries, he was ok. But when you barely have time after the snap, your mechanics will fail, you will see ghost, the clock in your head is clearly accelerated because you know you bout to die in 1001. Then you don't make throws cause your receivers are going to A. drop it. B. Tip it to the defender for a pick. or C. catch the ball then fumble it.

Lets see what Kessler looks like but he may ask to sit out after being behind this line.
Isn't it sad that we still have to worry about a QBs mechanics in his 5th season? You're very good at making excuses for him.

As far as signing a vet like Stafford, there is no chance they pay Staffords contract plus the 16.5 million in dead money for Blake plus the rookies QBs deal. Blakes time here is over and I know it's hard to think about but the signs are all there. He's been benched for Kessler and if you think Kessler is bad and will get killed, what does that tell you about Blake? The coaching staff is still trying to win and they think Kessler is better. 

The most logical (and most likely) off season move is to cut Blake, pay him the 16.5 million in dead money, draft a rookie QB in the 1st round and have Kessler or another vet start the season. Or maybe the rookie is good like Wilson, Mayfield, Wentz.... What happened in the past with rookie QBs should play no part on if a rookie plays or not. You take every situation for what it is and don't let the past dictate the future.