Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Updated Draft Order

(12-07-2018, 10:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 09:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Of course they would, but what if that wasn't possible? What if you had to choose between a meaningless win and getting a franchise QB? You said it yourself, if the GM was halfway decent, he could do that. Do you have enough faith in Caldwell to do this? I don't. It's not that we don't want to win and get a franchise QB. Of course that would be the perfect scenario, it's just that we don't have enough blind faith in the organization to be able to accomplish such a thing.

If we have the 1st pick in the draft it wouldnt matter if Dave is picking.  It's not where you pick its who you pick.  It's always possible to hit, name the year and I can tell you who we should of picked.  The is always a guy or 2 on the board that we should of picked and didnt.  Out of any franchise this one should know that by now because of all the bad picks.  Where we have pick has never been an issue and it wont be this year even if we win out.  Its who we pick

Saying it's about "who we pick " is a given. That's the end result.  The whole point is the higher you pick the better a chance you have of taking your top guy on the board. It's a very very simple concept

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Welp.

Jags are definitely looking like they'll have a pretty big pool of players to choose from - regardless if you want them to win or lose right now. Draft position seems to be taking care of itself just fine.

If you GM needs the team to tank to help him get a higher pick it's time to find a new GM

(12-07-2018, 02:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If you GM needs the team to tank to help him get a higher pick it's time to find a new GM

You don't need to. It's just easier to get your guy that way. Again, a very simple concept.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-07-2018, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 10:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we have the 1st pick in the draft it wouldnt matter if Dave is picking.  It's not where you pick its who you pick.  It's always possible to hit, name the year and I can tell you who we should of picked.  The is always a guy or 2 on the board that we should of picked and didnt.  Out of any franchise this one should know that by now because of all the bad picks.  Where we have pick has never been an issue and it wont be this year even if we win out.  Its who we pick
Ummm a lot of it is where you pick lol

I wanted Luck, Mayfield, Wentz, Peyton Manning....

I remember when Luck was in the draft. I almost always advocate trading down, but that year, I would've given whatever it took to get him.

(12-07-2018, 02:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If you GM needs the team to tank to help him get a higher pick it's time to find a new GM

Duh! A lot of people have been wanting to move on from Caldwell for a few months now. I think it's time.

Ok. Quick question.

If it doesn't really matter where a team drafts, why do they give the #1 pick to the worst team? Why not make it completely random every year because you can find players everywhere.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 04:51 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-07-2018, 03:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Ok. Quick question.

If it doesn't really matter where a team drafts, why do they give the #1 pick to the worst team? Why not make it completely random every year because you can find players everywhere.

Of course it's nice to have a higher pick but to lose just to get a higher pick is having no faith in your scouting department.  We will be picking top 10 is almost a guarantee.   If you cant find a game changer the issue is not having the right GM, it's not how many games you won.

(12-07-2018, 03:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Ummm a lot of it is where you pick lol

I wanted Luck, Mayfield, Wentz, Peyton Manning....

I remember when Luck was in the draft. I almost always advocate trading down, but that year, I would've given whatever it took to get him.

Duh! A lot of people have been wanting to move on from Caldwell for a few months now. I think it's time.
Agree, hire the right GM.  That is the issue, it's not that we won to many games.  "Won to many games" lol. You can tell who the ones are that are not going to the games.

Ah I see.

Hire a good GM✓
Draft the right player✓

Amazing more NFL teams don't try this strategy out

(12-07-2018, 07:52 PM)JackCity Wrote: Ah I see.

Hire a good GM✓
Draft the right player✓

Eureka!!! 

We've solved the riddle!

(12-07-2018, 04:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 03:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Ok. Quick question.

Of course it's nice to have a higher pick but to lose just to get a higher pick is having no faith in your scouting department.  We will be picking top 10 is almost a guarantee.   If you cant find a game changer the issue is not having the right GM, it's not how many games you won.

(12-07-2018, 03:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I remember when Luck was in the draft. I almost always advocate trading down, but that year, I would've given whatever it took to get him.

Agree, hire the right GM.  That is the issue, it's not that we won to many games.  "Won to many games" lol. You can tell who the ones are that are not going to the games.
So if it’s just nice to have a top 10 pick, why are they still giving the worst team #1? You would think just giving them pick #9 is good enough for them.

I’m not advocating for tanking but it’s good to either be really bad or really good. Stuck in 7-9 8-8 purgatory is the worst. Ask the current Detroit Lions.

Hire a good GM✓
Draft the right player✓

Exactly,  hire the right GM and he will draft the right players and help build a dynastly and you wont have to lose on purpose.  A lot more to it than tanking to get a higher pick. Being a Jag fan I figured you would of learned that by now with all of the high picks we have had over the years

(12-07-2018, 07:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Hire a good GM✓
Draft the right player✓

Eureka!!! 

We've solved the riddle!

Send this shad quick!

(12-07-2018, 08:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 04:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Of course it's nice to have a higher pick but to lose just to get a higher pick is having no faith in your scouting department.  We will be picking top 10 is almost a guarantee.   If you cant find a game changer the issue is not having the right GM, it's not how many games you won.

So if it’s just nice to have a top 10 pick, why are they still giving the worst team #1? You would think just giving them pick #9 is good enough for them.

I’m not advocating for tanking but it’s good to either be really bad or really good. Stuck in 7-9 8-8 purgatory is the worst. Ask the current Detroit Lions.
But the Lions have had top picks lol, multiple number 1 and top 5 picks.  Sure helped them didnt it lol.  You are hurting your case on that comment lol.  Their QB went first overall.  They haven't had good drafts.  It had nothing to do with where they picked they just missed on their picks more often than not

(12-07-2018, 08:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Hire a good GM✓
Draft the right player✓

Exactly,  hire the right GM and he will draft the right players and help build a dynastly and you wont have to lose on purpose.  A lot more to it than tanking to get a higher pick. Being a Jag fan I figured you would of learned that by now with all of the high picks we have had over the years

I'm making fun of how plainly obvious your analysis here is. Everybody knows hiring "the right GM" and drafting the correct players is ehhh a good idea. I don't think anyone would argue differently.  Well, I hope not at least.    

The points people are making here is that when you need a QB and the season is already over, that losing more games helps you get a QB. That's indisputable.  That doesn't mean you wouldn't also like to have a good GM and have faith he can pick good players.

(12-07-2018, 08:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 08:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So if it’s just nice to have a top 10 pick, why are they still giving the worst team #1? You would think just giving them pick #9 is good enough for them.

But the Lions have had top picks lol, multiple number 1 and top 5 picks.  Sure helped them didnt it lol.  You are hurting your case on that comment lol.  Their QB went first overall.  They haven't had good drafts.  It had nothing to do with where they picked they just missed on their picks more often than not
I said current Lions. When was their last top 5 pick? Ansah in 2010? Staffers was their last #1. They have been so average the last 10 years.

You’re missing the point so bad. If Caldwell was all about Haskins but he was going top 5 and no one to trade up with, then what? We missed on our potential franchise QB for meaningless wins.

Dave Caldwell has put this franchise in a bind. It hasn't nothing to do with where picked or how many games we won. The few games we won over the years were a pretty good feeling imo

Agree to disagree, you can tell who is not going to the games. Yall can keep pulling for the other teams all you want. I'm gonna enjoy every win we get and hope Tom fires Dave and Doug and he brings in the right people. Yall can cry all you want about the wins lol, go Jags

(12-07-2018, 09:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agree to disagree, you can tell who is not going to the games.  Yall can keep pulling for the other teams all you want.  I'm gonna enjoy every win we get and hope Tom fires Dave and Doug and he brings in the right people.  Yall can cry all you want about the wins lol, go Jags

There is no agree or disagree. It's just a fact of the situation.  

And I would have happily seen us beating the titans last night while also acknowleding a loss gets us closer to our QB. So you can keep your misplaced snark. I know plenty of people who go to all the games and are agree that losing helps us get our QB more than winning , you just like to die on nonsensical hills because you don't know what you don't know

(12-07-2018, 09:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agree to disagree, you can tell who is not going to the games.  Yall can keep pulling for the other teams all you want.  I'm gonna enjoy every win we get and hope Tom fires Dave and Doug and he brings in the right people.  Yall can cry all you want about the wins lol, go Jags
Who’s crying about wins? You’re just not comprehending that having a higher draft pick is better.

Having pick #1 is better than having pick #7. It’s not even debatable.

(12-07-2018, 09:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:

There is no agree or disagree. It's just a fact of the situation.  

And I would have happily seen us beating the titans last night while also acknowleding a loss gets us closer to our QB. So you can keep your misplaced snark. I know plenty of people who go to all the games and are agree that losing helps us get our QB more than winning , you just like to die on nonsensical hills because you don't know what you don't know

Dont get your panties in a wad man.  Is pick number 1 better than pick number 5? Yes, but as long as you hit on your pick it really dont matter.  Thats all there is to it.  If every team that was out of the playoffs tanked it would pretty much ruin the sport.  I seriously doubt the great franchises tanked to get where they are, they just nailed the majority of there picks and have had good coaches.