Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kessler the one bright spot on the team tonight

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 11:22 AM by MoJagFan.)

(12-07-2018, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote: I was the first one to run to the boards and tell people to chill out about Kessler after the win he "led" us to last week.
Bortles sucked, but Kessler sucks too, I said.

But he sure as hell played a lot better than I've seen from our QB much of this year last night.
The OL is what it is... trash. We're starting back ups to back ups out there. Kess had 0 protection and even less time.
Fournette couldn't find any holes when they were there (which wasn't often).
Moncrief alligator arms just about everything.
And the D decided it wasn't going to tackle anyone.

We don't need to talk about "bright spots" in that [BLEEP] show... but lets not dog one of the 2 or 3 guys out there really playing their butts off.
Kess
DeDe
Calais

If you actually watched, and believe me... I force fed myself 3.75 quarters of that game... You could see what Kessler could do with protection and time.
If you actually used your eyes instead of being jaded and angry at everyone you could see just how bad it is for ANY QB that is back there.

If you think Brady or Rodgers is making plays with this OL you're out your damn mind. Stop blaming the QB for everything. Especially when he really was a rare "bright spot" on the evening.
Yeah he fumbled, when he was hit with 3 defenders after 1.5 seconds.
Yeah he isn't tossing a bunch of TDs.... (cuz FBs quit on their routes, and coaches wanna call run plays our OL and RB can't execute)
Yeah, he isn't escaping the rush like a Blake Bortles could... but that's what we the fans wanted, remember?

Next season is long ways a way......

(12-07-2018, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Kessler wasn't the problem in that loss, but the situation w/ he and Bortles hasn't changed.

Pick your poison.  They both have their issues.  Which type of suckage do you prefer?

Indeed.
He sure does throw the ball a lot better though doesn't he? lol

Your hitting on my sentiments top to bottom.  We were cheering spirals thrown on the run in my household.  That is the measure of improvement.  Spin vs Quack Quack.

EDIT:
Reminds me of Pure country...   You know that white spec on the top of the chicken bleep.  Yeah it is still chicken bleep.  This offense is chicken bleep and all the signs were there last year.  The defense bailed it all out last year.  You can't win year in and year out that way.  Even league beater defenses only have those one year complete victories you remember.  You have to have a team with a QB that can hit on the throws.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-07-2018, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote: I was the first one to run to the boards and tell people to chill out about Kessler after the win he "led" us to last week.
Bortles sucked, but Kessler sucks too, I said.

But he sure as hell played a lot better than I've seen from our QB much of this year last night.
The OL is what it is... trash. We're starting back ups to back ups out there. Kess had 0 protection and even less time.
Fournette couldn't find any holes when they were there (which wasn't often).
Moncrief alligator arms just about everything.
And the D decided it wasn't going to tackle anyone.

We don't need to talk about "bright spots" in that [BLEEP] show... but lets not dog one of the 2 or 3 guys out there really playing their butts off.
Kess
DeDe
Calais

If you actually watched, and believe me... I force fed myself 3.75 quarters of that game... You could see what Kessler could do with protection and time.
If you actually used your eyes instead of being jaded and angry at everyone you could see just how bad it is for ANY QB that is back there.

If you think Brady or Rodgers is making plays with this OL you're out your damn mind. Stop blaming the QB for everything. Especially when he really was a rare "bright spot" on the evening.
Yeah he fumbled, when he was hit with 3 defenders after 1.5 seconds.
Yeah he isn't tossing a bunch of TDs.... (cuz FBs quit on their routes, and coaches wanna call run plays our OL and RB can't execute)
Yeah, he isn't escaping the rush like a Blake Bortles could... but that's what we the fans wanted, remember?

Next season is long ways a way......

(12-07-2018, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Kessler wasn't the problem in that loss, but the situation w/ he and Bortles hasn't changed.

Pick your poison.  They both have their issues.  Which type of suckage do you prefer?

Indeed.
He sure does throw the ball a lot better though doesn't he? lol

You're a better man than I am.  I couldn't stomach anymore after the first half.  I expect the offense to suck.  The Oline is decimated and manned by scrubs.  Running back is totally ineffective.  Wrs.  What WRs?  At least Kessler deserves to be on an NFL roster.

But what happened to the D???!!  Can't tackle.  Can't cover.  Getting pushed around.  Pathetic.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM by rfc17.)

(12-07-2018, 11:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 08:28 AM)rfc17 Wrote: Kessler isn't better than Bortles.  All the excuses being made for him about how bad the surrounding talent played could apply just as equally to Blake.  It's not as if only in the last two weeks did the offensive line suddenly forgot how to block, the WRs forgot how to catch, and Fournette forgot how to find a lane.  Those have been problems all year long.  Don't be blinded by your dislike of Bortles.  They both have their strengths and weaknesses and they are obviously a different kind of QB.  Neither of them are good enough to carry a team that isn't playing well.
Dog. That's literally the point every person who wants Kessler is making.

They both can't lead an offense but one of them will be paid 21 million dollars next year. If there is no difference in your offense from your 21 million dollar starter to your 1 million dollar backup, you cut your losses with the starter. 

Blake needs everything around him to be perfect just to be average. Time to move on.

I don't believe that to be true as someone else replied to me saying Kessler is better.  If you dont think Kessler is better than Bortles well then clearly my post wasn't directed towards you.  But deep down I think part of you believes that or else you wouldnt have bothered responding.

As far as those wanting Kessler, I don't really see a difference.  Whether Kessler or Bortles starts the remainder of this year is irrelevant.  And in terms of next year we know Bortles isnt coming back and Kessler may or may not be here as a backup depending on how the coaches feel about him and his salary for that role.  But if Kessler comes back as our starter next year, we could be in for another long season.  Hopefully it's only because they drafted a guy who they'll let come in for some snaps each game to gain experience and slowly phase Kessler out.

(12-07-2018, 11:45 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dog. That's literally the point every person who wants Kessler is making.

They both can't lead an offense but one of them will be paid 21 million dollars next year. If there is no difference in your offense from your 21 million dollar starter to your 1 million dollar backup, you cut your losses with the starter. 

Blake needs everything around him to be perfect just to be average. Time to move on.

I don't believe that to be true as someone else replied to me saying Kessler is better.  If you dont think Kessler is better than Bortles well then clearly my post wasn't directed towards you.  But deep down I think part of you believes that or else you wouldnt have bothered responding.

As far as those wanting Kessler, I don't really see a difference.  Whether Kessler or Bortles starts the remainder of this year is irrelevant.  And in terms of next year we know Bortles isnt coming back and Kessler may or may not be here as a backup depending on how the coaches feel about him and his salary for that role.  But if Kessler comes back as our starter next year, we could be in for another long season.  Hopefully it's only because they drafted a guy who they'll let come in for some snaps each game to gain experience and slowly phase Kessler out.
I mean Kessler is a better QB than Blake. It's fairly evident. Kessler could have won the same amount of games last year as Blake did.

Last year, the Jags only had 2 games they won where the other team scored more than 20 (Pitt playoff and Seattle). In the Pitt playoff game, Blake had 214 and 1 TD. The only redeeming qualities Blake has as a QB is durability and running. Kessler actually has good pocket awareness and anticipates throws. He showed me last night that he can do well even playing against the #3 pass defense.

In his last 2 games against the Titans, Blake threw for 313. Kessler threw for 240 yesterday.

It's not about Kessler vs Bortles. Most QBs would be non-functional in this offense. It's more about seeing how Kessler plays QB. Can he read the defense? Can he make an accurate throw? Can he bounce back from a bad play? I see positives in those areas.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 01:38 PM by Rockman1966.)

Kessler was OK.
Dede showed effort.
Locke punted well.
That's it.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 12:11 PM by MoJagFan.)

(12-07-2018, 12:01 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: It's not about Kessler vs Bortles.  Most QBs would be non-functional in this offense.  It's more about seeing how Kessler plays QB.  Can he read the defense?  Can he make an accurate throw?  Can he bounce back from a bad play?  I see positives in those areas.

I saw positives but it is a shame how bad overall the offense is and will probably stay.  We messed up the last few years (thanks hindsight).

The problem I had was during the broadcast they mentioned that Kessler was coached last week against the Colts to take the check down play first and that they coached him to take a few more chances this week.  It doesn't matter who you have back there when the coaching staff steadfastly believes in modern stone age game planning.  How often in the NFL do you play ahead and get to dictate the game?  The philosophy of these coaches is seriously flawed.  You have to be able to win in the fourth quarter.

How the heck are we going to get innovative people to coach our team?
The Khan Years

(12-07-2018, 12:28 AM)#1calijagfan Wrote: 1 TD pass in two games and a whopping 15 points scored in those two games combined and Kessler is being congratulated?

Did I miss something?
Yes, you missed a guy playing pretty done well in the worst possible condition a QB will face. I don't think Tom Brady could be successful behind that Oline. After two weeks of playing with the Oline he look better then Blake.

(12-07-2018, 11:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean Kessler is a better QB than Blake. It's fairly evident. Kessler could have won the same amount of games last year as Blake did.

Last year, the Jags only had 2 games they won where the other team scored more than 20 (Pitt playoff and Seattle). In the Pitt playoff game, Blake had 214 and 1 TD. The only redeeming qualities Blake has as a QB is durability and running. Kessler actually has good pocket awareness and anticipates throws. He showed me last night that he can do well even playing against the #3 pass defense.

In his last 2 games against the Titans, Blake threw for 313. Kessler threw for 240 yesterday.

I dont think he is.  And I dont think you can look at the stats as Blake played two close games to the end while Kessler put up the majority of those yards in the second half when the game was already over.  We've all blasted Blake's second season as a mirage filled with garbage time stats.  If Kessler is better, it's at the margin.  He isn't taking a 10 win team from last year and winning 13.  And he wasn't leading us to the Super Bowl.  He isn't taking a 4 win team this year and winning 6.  Maybe in the right offense you can scheme around him.  An offense that relies on a lot of short quick routes where he can the ball out quickly and show off some of his accuracy.  Just like in the right offense, you can scheme around Blake.  One where you get him on the move where he has the option to run or pass.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018, 04:19 PM by Shelley Thompson.)

(12-07-2018, 12:24 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Sure if by bright spot you mean a flickering 20 Watt bulb.

That is unfair and untrue. At least give credit where credit is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(12-07-2018, 12:29 AM)newporttom Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 12:28 AM)#1calijagfan Wrote: 1 TD pass in two games and a whopping 15 points scored in those two games combined and Kessler is being congratulated?

Did I miss something?

Yes.

Yes

(12-07-2018, 12:49 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I think Kessler has a lot pf promise. He's a smart player who throws a nice ball. He can take a hit and make the occasional positive play with his feet. Pretty good pocket awareness and overall decent QB skills. Is he a franchise QB? I dunno but he was a good pickup for the price, IMO. He could be a bridge to the next guy and a solid backup.

Agree and he had a couple of impressive on the run throws across his body and Bradyish darts. I see promise not greatness. But if Marrone had followed his gut after the Texans game ... we might have a couple more wins and have Kessler better prepared to be a bridge/mentor for a rookie or decent backup for a veteran.

(12-07-2018, 12:24 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Sure if by bright spot you mean a flickering 20 Watt bulb.

Laughing To be honest, he looked like a back up QB at best, all things considered. He certainly isn't the answer and I think the team knows that.

(12-07-2018, 04:25 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 12:49 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I think Kessler has a lot pf promise.  He's a smart player who throws a nice ball.  He can take a hit and make the occasional positive play with his feet.  Pretty good pocket awareness and overall decent QB skills.  Is he a franchise QB?  I dunno but he was a good pickup for the price, IMO.  He could be a bridge to the next guy and a solid backup.

Agree and he had a couple of impressive on the run throws across his body and Bradyish darts. I see promise not greatness. But if Marrone had followed his gut after the Texans game ... we might have a couple more wins and have Kessler better prepared to be a bridge/mentor for a rookie or decent backup for a veteran.

Please realize that Bortles is so bad that a guy throwing spirals looks like a world beater.  The guy showed some things but isn't remotely the long term answer to anything for this team.  We are through and through screwed on offense.  I don't think we can fix it without multiple drafts.
The Khan Years

(12-07-2018, 01:35 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 01:14 AM)TJBender Wrote: He's also averaged ten more ducks into the back of Linder's helmet than he has in seasons he improved in.

I'm not arguing that Bortles wasn't good. For a while there last year, he was damn good. For a short stretch of this year, he looked like he hadn't just turned the corner, but was running down the back straight. Then the wheels fell off somehow, whether that was a lack of confidence, injuries to his left tackle(s), not having much support in the running game, whatever it was, he suddenly decided that the back of Andrew Norwell's helmet was an appealing checkdown option, and that led to turnovers. At some point, it's clear that Bortles is no longer your best option. That's where we ended up two weeks ago.

Cool that's all fine but now we are even worse two weeks on.

I believe you play the better of the two or find somebody better.

So start Blake and search for somebody who can beat him out in training camp.

I'm not up for cutting off our nose to spite face and wasting a solid team when our olinemen,lee,grant or whoever are back.

Here's the problem: even if you buy into the idea that Bortles is definitely better than Kessler (I don't), if you play him and he pops his ACL, guess how much of next year's salary you're on the hook for?

Here's a hint: all of it.

as long as his name isn't bortles, he'll be great in the eyes of a lot of posters in this board. bortles could throw for 300 yards and still get loads of bad comments on this board. kessler is only good to be a tweener before we get the franchise QB either in the draft or FA. if anyone here thinks that kessler is our franchise QB, you need to have your head examined. he's a back-up for a reason, yes he had a few good passes out there, but he also had a lot of bad ones as well. good QBs only have a few bad passes and he still only throws short to medium length passes. I know that is because his line is awful and he really does not have enough time to throw deep, but until we can get that, you won't be able to throw deep. he's a back-up at best, not as the answer. and QB is not the only problem on this team, they showed it last night. they need a total revamp from top to bottom, including the coach, defensive coordinator, GM, etc. then they need to determine, on a player-by-player basis who will stay and who will go. The only problem the people making the decision think that you can be a run-first team in a pass then run league. As long as that mindset remains, they'll continue getting people to meet that mindset and we'll be cellar dwellers forever.

(12-07-2018, 07:17 PM)rhanna2 Wrote: ... if anyone here thinks that kessler is our franchise QB, 
Literally not a single person has said that anywhere on this message board.

(12-07-2018, 07:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 07:17 PM)rhanna2 Wrote: ... if anyone here thinks that kessler is our franchise QB, 
Literally not a single person has said that anywhere on this message board.
However, all the Bortles supporters think we believe Kessler is the long term answer. 

Bortles is bad and Kessler is bad. Both can be true lol

Yes but do you believe kessler makes the team play better than bortles right now? And if so what is your evidence?

Maybe you believe in tanking for draft if so sure let's play Kessler and see if he does enough to be a backup. I prefer to try and win each game.

Here is my argument!

Bortles: His days are done as a starting NFL QB barring injury.. Good guy but flawed QB. After 5 years he still struggles to throw an accurate football on a consistent basis. Athletic but does not have a high IQ behind center, struggles to throw the ball, and the biggest flaw is he is a turnover machine. Before he was benched he was tied for the lead in ints once again. Bortles is not a good NFL QB

Kessler: We do not know exactly what we have. He was thrown into the dump of Cleveland and never really had a fair shot. He had a heck of a college career though. He throws a pretty football and is very accurate. People says he has a weak arm but I don't see it. The receivers should of caught many more of those balls last night. Aikman was calling out Moncrief atleast several times for lack of effort. The coaching staff put him in a horrible situation by making him throw it 40+ times coming in on a short week and the second game of the season.

Bottom line: We know Bortles stinks we do not know about Kessler. I have seem some good things in Kessler and would like to see more.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-07-2018, 07:50 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Yes but do you believe kessler makes the team play better than bortles right now? And if so what is your evidence?

Maybe you believe in tanking for draft if so sure let's play Kessler and see if he does enough to be a backup. I prefer to try and win each game.
Neither QB is going to lead this team to victories. However if Blake gets hurt, you’re on the hook for 21 million next year. Blake rides the bench and then cut him in the off season.

Seems pretty simple.