Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Still Mad We Didn’t Shell Out for Cousins?

(12-11-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: That still doesn't erase the fact that he's 4 - 24 against teams that are above .500 with one play-off loss on his belt with Washington. He's 32 - 35 - 2 as a starter. He's never played for a team that managed double digit wins in a single season. 

He's overrated and overpaid. They're also currently 30th in cap space right now going into next year with just a little over $8M in space available. Going to be awfully hard to fix that offensive line in one off season. And then you have to factor in who they'll have to lose to balance it out. 

Do they lose Thielen? Diggs? Rudolph? At any point those three guys could say "Hmm...making chump change compared to the rest of the guys at my position. Maybe I'll hold out for a little more before my contract expires. I want that extension".
Diggs already got a big contract. Rudolph is average at best. Not sure if Thielan has a new contract or not.

Cousins is not playing well right now. That’s obvious. But he’s still miles better than Blake and he would make this team better. I’m definitely on board with a rookie but Cousins is better than Blake.

That's not, and never has been, the point.  

He's not worth the money he got paid.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-11-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 08:51 AM)Caldrac Wrote: That still doesn't erase the fact that he's 4 - 24 against teams that are above .500 with one play-off loss on his belt with Washington. He's 32 - 35 - 2 as a starter. He's never played for a team that managed double digit wins in a single season. 

He's overrated and overpaid. They're also currently 30th in cap space right now going into next year with just a little over $8M in space available. Going to be awfully hard to fix that offensive line in one off season. And then you have to factor in who they'll have to lose to balance it out. 

Do they lose Thielen? Diggs? Rudolph? At any point those three guys could say "Hmm...making chump change compared to the rest of the guys at my position. Maybe I'll hold out for a little more before my contract expires. I want that extension".
Diggs already got a big contract. Rudolph is average at best. Not sure if Thielan has a new contract or not.

Cousins is not playing well right now. That’s obvious. But he’s still miles better than Blake and he would make this team better. I’m definitely on board with a rookie but Cousins is better than Blake.

Well at least you like Cousins better anyway.....he would have been on IR at this point.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

Given how this team has been built in these previous few years, i'm not mad they didn't pursue him. It would've made this season look possibly worse in some ways.

The D has been a disappointment regardless, but I don't think Cousins would have elevated the offense much more than what Bortles has already done. Especially when you look at the Oline injuries, and that Cousins is NOT a scrambler; nor is he bigger or tougher than Bortles. I think he woulda been getting hit a lot.

(12-11-2018, 09:29 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I was trolled then and may get trolled now but I said long before that Cousins was TRASH. I'm happy we didn't sign him and I knew he would play like this. With these receivers and this beat up OL. we probably would have the same record.

Idk what Minnesota saw from him in Washington that merited 80 mil.

He would have been on IR,  if he played here.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM by Jay Carter 904.)

(12-11-2018, 09:38 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Diggs already got a big contract. Rudolph is average at best. Not sure if Thielan has a new contract or not.

u bout to get flamed. lol.

Those insiders don't like that bro.

I agree with you completely.

(12-11-2018, 09:44 AM)old_man Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:29 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I was trolled then and may get trolled now but I said long before that Cousins was TRASH. I'm happy we didn't sign him and I knew he would play like this. With these receivers and this beat up OL. we probably would have the same record.

Idk what Minnesota saw from him in Washington that merited 80 mil.

He would have been on IR,  if he played here.

I agree.

People don't know how durable and resilient Blake is. He has been running for his life like since week 4 or 5.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Vikings fell into the trap... You believe you are one player away from the Super Bowl. Irony is you never ever are that set. We have a decade of pain built on the pass rusher away from the super bowl theory. Thanks hindsight.... but man we failed last off season. You have to work your roster and improve no matter what you did the previous year. I hope we learn.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Coaching to the strengths of your players currently on the roster also does wonders....

(12-11-2018, 10:23 AM)old_man Wrote: Coaching to the strengths of your players currently on the roster also does wonders....

Preach brotha.

PREACH!!!!
#iamlegend

There are things a lot of us overlooked with Blake when trying to justify his growth and potential to be the franchise guy. Mechanics adjustments, blaming OCs, bad OL play (this one is true)

Cousins being 4-24 against +500 teams is a stat that can't be overlooked. if you want to be objective, you just can't dismiss that. That's multiple seasons of consistently failing against good teams. Is he better than Blake? Yeah, but that's not the point. As others said, his supporting cast in Min is better than what he'd have in Jax, and they still only have 2 more wins than us.

My issue with Cousins was, has been, and still is his would-be effect on the salary cap.

You can toss out that we could have afforded him in the short term all day long and be largely correct.
But if you are one who has championed that signing - you better not be coming around here complaining when we are seriously cap strapped trying to re-sign Ramsey and Ngakoue etc.  Because keeping the young core of this defense would be MUCH more difficult than it already will be carrying Cousins' 84 million fully-guaranteed salary. 
And remember - it would likely be more than that as the Jags would have had to outbid to land Cousins. 

As it turns out - the Jags wouldn't have done much with Cousins anyway with all of the O-Line injuries and the defensive lapses of quality play in 2018. 

So even if I entertain the "win now" possibilities Cousins would have brought compared to Bortles, the 2018 season would have been a failure with either QB and with Cousins we'd just be even more hard-pressed financially to retain talent.

(12-11-2018, 11:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: My issue with Cousins was, has been, and still is his would-be effect on the salary cap.

You can toss out that we could have afforded him in the short term all day long and be largely correct.
But if you are one who has championed that signing - you better not be coming around here complaining when we are seriously cap strapped trying to re-sign Ramsey and Ngakoue etc.  Because keeping the young core of this defense would be MUCH more difficult than it already will be carrying Cousins' 84 million fully-guaranteed salary. 
And remember - it would likely be more than that as the Jags would have had to outbid to land Cousins. 

As it turns out - the Jags wouldn't have done much with Cousins anyway with all of the O-Line injuries and the defensive lapses of quality play in 2018. 

So even if I entertain the "win now" possibilities Cousins would have brought compared to Bortles, the 2018 season would have been a failure with either QB and with Cousins we'd just be even more hard-pressed financially to retain talent.

Everyone says we need to Draft a QB this year. Its looking more and more like we will. but everyone is saying none of them would be ready to start next year and if we did do that we would be waisting the quality of players we have on defense for a good playoff run. So every one says get a VET to come in. problem is we cant afford a good one. Well if we fix the o-line and have 4net for the whole year next year. you keep blake and you make your playoff run, iif it doesnt work out you have a rookiee ready to replace him. then you do not have such a cap fiasco. Flacco and Foles are the only 2 vet free agents worth getting anyone else is just as good or bad as blake. and those 2 will cost and arm and a leg.

Clearly your boy Bortles is way better than Cousins right? also, remember when you couldn't wait to see the board one month after our 3rd loss? how did that work out for you? do you want me to bring back your topic? and your posts about how Bortles is way better than Cousins?

(12-11-2018, 11:11 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 11:02 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: My issue with Cousins was, has been, and still is his would-be effect on the salary cap.

Everyone says we need to Draft a QB this year. Its looking more and more like we will. but everyone is saying none of them would be ready to start next year and if we did do that we would be waisting the quality of players we have on defense for a good playoff run. So every one says get a VET to come in. problem is we cant afford a good one. Well if we fix the o-line and have 4net for the whole year next year. you keep blake and you make your playoff run, iif it doesnt work out you have a rookiee ready to replace him....

Yeah. I think the vast majority are hoping for a rookie QB early in the draft that will either start in 2019 or take over after the bye in 2019. 
However - 
Most are expecting his placeholder to be Kessler or another journeyman. There's still a slim chance Bortles is in the mix for that role, but I really, really doubt it.  I think they'll do the "June designation" to spread his dead money over two seasons and cut him. I understand your position on him, but I really think that's what will happen at this point.

(12-11-2018, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 11:11 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Everyone says we need to Draft a QB this year. Its looking more and more like we will. but everyone is saying none of them would be ready to start next year and if we did do that we would be waisting the quality of players we have on defense for a good playoff run. So every one says get a VET to come in. problem is we cant afford a good one. Well if we fix the o-line and have 4net for the whole year next year. you keep blake and you make your playoff run, iif it doesnt work out you have a rookiee ready to replace him....

Yeah. I think the vast majority are hoping for a rookie QB early in the draft that will either start in 2019 or take over after the bye in 2019. 
However - 
Most are expecting his placeholder to be Kessler or another journeyman. There's still a slim chance Bortles is in the mix for that role, but I really, really doubt it.  I think they'll do the "June designation" to spread his dead money over two seasons and cut him. I understand your position on him, but I really think that's what will happen at this point.

I think it is going to be Cap issuses and releasing blake creates unwanted cap issuses. If they think kessler gives them a better chance to win then blake, i can see them eating the dead money cause kessler is very cheap to keep. But if they do not think kessler is the one you either keep blake or get a vet, and keeping blake is the most economical way to go. still have to restructure calais and dareus.

(12-10-2018, 11:46 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I’m mad we didn’t draft Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or Pat Mahomes.

Serious question, do you think Pat Mahomes would still be lighting up the league with Westbrook, Cole, Chark, Moncrief?

Cousins is slightly above average. Nowhere near the contract he received. I'm glad we passed. We need to get our QB in the draft.

(12-11-2018, 11:48 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 11:46 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I’m mad we didn’t draft Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or Pat Mahomes.

Serious question, do you think Pat Mahomes would still be lighting up the league with Westbrook, Cole, Chark, Moncrief?

The issues of Mahomes as a Jag would have a hell of a lot more to do with o-line and offensive scheme than it would WR talent. 

I think a 2019 Jags offense with two new linemen, Lee, Chark, Westbrook and Mahomes would likely score more than enough points to be in the playoff hunt in December. 

Hindsight aside - The Jags best hope right now is that they find their own version of that Mahomes pick in the upcoming draft - as well as a guard and a tackle to protect him.

(12-11-2018, 09:38 AM)Rico Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Diggs already got a big contract. Rudolph is average at best. Not sure if Thielan has a new contract or not.

All very true. I applaud the Vikings for trying to upgrade the most important position in football. It may not have worked out (right now) but at least they are out there trying to get better. Vikings OLine is worse than the Jags so this theory that he’d be on IR right now is false.

Also... Mahomes just threw for the most yards while under pressure. Hill had a bum heel and he still lit up the best defense in the league. To think that Mahomes would somehow not help the Jags is laughable. Would he have 40+ TDS right now? Probably not but I bet we’d have a better record.

If he still had Reid as his HC yes.

Mahomes as a Jag would obviously not be as good as he is right now but he'd still be pretty good and way better than Bortles, with the chance of still developing as a top 5 QB.

absolutely not.
#iamlegend