Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles: 2019 starter? (merged)

(12-26-2018, 11:35 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Tell me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the mere fact that we’re starting Bortles this week prove that the organization hasn’t moved on from him? By putting him out there behind an O-Line that’s in shambles against the Texans D, his probability of an injury is significantly increased.  I read that if cut and he signs with another team, we can re-coup up to $6 Million, but that’s not gonna happen if he sustains a major injury.  An injury would also eliminate any chance of a trade, even though that’s a small one.  I’m just saying, seems like like a risky move for a team that’s supposedly hell bent on cutting ties with their QB, with nothing to gain this week.

Nah. There was never a possibility of a trade. His contract is to steep of a price for anyone to eat for a back up qb and the likelihood of him getting a starting job is... well... none.

Whether the team has moved on or not has nothing to do with him starting this game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-26-2018, 11:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 11:05 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Gabbert was still on his rookie deal and had less than a full season of starts. I'm not sure nobody would trade for Bortles, I mean, the jaguars traded for Kessler, but the contract makes it less likely.

Somebody like Gruden might be willing to trade for him if they do indeed move on from Derek Carr. He's said they wouldn't but we'll know for sure come trade time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(12-27-2018, 08:08 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 11:15 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Somebody like Gruden might be willing to trade for him if they do indeed move on from Derek Carr. He's said they wouldn't but we'll know for sure come trade time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why not? Because Gruden is such a genius on personnel?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-27-2018, 08:50 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 08:08 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why not? Because Gruden is such a genius on personnel?

Agree with you hb. While it's unlikely to get a trade for Blake, mainly due to his contract, Gruden would be the type to make it.

Mark Long said he believe it will be a new vet and rookie QB next year.

So take that for what you will.

Your not going to sign a Vet next year for less than $20 Million. So between a new vet, Bortles, and a rookie, are we really going to have $50 Million wrapped up in the QB spot next year? I just don’t see that happening, especially given the fact that we want to extend Yannick, Ramsey, Jack, etc.

(12-27-2018, 09:53 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Mark Long said he believe it will be a new vet and rookie QB next year.

So take that for what you will.

This seems to be the consensus among local media. 
Even the Jags-employed Oehser has predicted Bortles wearing a different jersey in 2019.

(12-27-2018, 10:00 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Your not going to sign a Vet next year for less than $20 Million.  So between a new vet, Bortles, and a rookie, are we really going to have $50 Million wrapped up in the QB spot next year?  I just don’t see that happening, especially given the fact that we want to extend Yannick, Ramsey, Jack, etc.

You can definitely sign a vet for less than 20 million

(12-27-2018, 10:55 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 10:00 AM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Your not going to sign a Vet next year for less than $20 Million.  So between a new vet, Bortles, and a rookie, are we really going to have $50 Million wrapped up in the QB spot next year?  I just don’t see that happening, especially given the fact that we want to extend Yannick, Ramsey, Jack, etc.

You can definitely sign a vet for less than 20 million

That's any upgrade over Blake though? That's the question.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM by Kane.)

(12-27-2018, 11:01 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 10:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can definitely sign a vet for less than 20 million

That's relative to your opinion about Bortles.
Some people have him as the 72nd QB in the NFL.

If we're moving on from Bortles and drafting a guy in the first round the only "vet" we need is cheap [BLEEP] Cody Kessler.
And start the rookie right away.

(12-26-2018, 01:19 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 12:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. If we're drafting a top 10 QB in the first round we don't need a bridge. You start the rook, take the lumps and build around him.

I strongly disagree with this. Whoever we draft at QB, needs to sit and learn. I think this is one of the key mistakes the team made with Bortles--throwing him in the fire before he was ready. The Chiefs, in my opinion, did it the right way with Mahomes - for the most part they let him sit last year, with a few exceptions when he was asked to mop up in clean up time.  Whoever we draft next year at QB needs to sit in 2019, behind a veteran-either Bortles or someone else.

Did Baker need to sit and learn?

What makes you think a guy like Will Grier needs to sit and learn?
Also... what is anyone gonna "learn" from Blake frickin Bortles?

The Chiefs had a couple things going for them.... one, they had a successful season with Alex Smith, who had just come off one of his best seasons. Two, they had Andy Reid, QB guru.
Would Patrick Mahomes have played as well as he is now as a rookie? Probably not...
But you learn best on the field. Jughead even said as much.

This year is so thin on qb in fa, who do you even go after?

Fitzmagic lol.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 11:27 AM by Cleatwood.)

(12-27-2018, 11:01 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 10:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: You can definitely sign a vet for less than 20 million

How good do you think Blake really is? You really wanna pay him 21 million to be the backup? 

They’ll cut Blake. Sign a vet for 5 million or so and be ready to move on. Keeping Blake just delays the inevitable while also paying him 21 million. 

I’m all for starting the rookie out of the gate. If it’s Haskins, could be very similar to what the Steelers did with Big Ben.

(12-27-2018, 11:24 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: This year is so thin on qb in fa, who do you even go after?

Fitzmagic lol.
Who knows who will be available. Teams cut players all the time.

(12-26-2018, 11:51 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Really they need to fix that O-Line. Not all of Bortles fault or Kesslar's for that matter. As it is the O-Llne that needs to be beefed up.

Any team that loses 4 of 5 starters on the OL is going to struggle
We got a good look at our healthy OL (although those guys were banged up early) after our 3-1 start.

The injuries really piled up then

(12-27-2018, 11:26 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 11:01 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: That's any upgrade over Blake though? That's the question.
How good do you think Blake really is? You really wanna pay him 21 million to be the backup? 

They’ll cut Blake. Sign a vet for 5 million or so and be ready to move on. Keeping Blake just delays the inevitable while also paying him 21 million. 

I’m all for starting the rookie out of the gate. If it’s Haskins, could be very similar to what the Steelers did with Big Ben.

(12-27-2018, 11:24 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: This year is so thin on qb in fa, who do you even go after?

Fitzmagic lol.
We could see if the one true vet jag qb has anything left in the tank for his fourth tour with the jags... the one and only Todd Bouman

(12-27-2018, 11:31 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 11:26 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: How good do you think Blake really is? You really wanna pay him 21 million to be the backup? 

We could see if the one true vet jag qb has anything left in the tank for his fourth tour with the jags... the one and only Todd Bouman
Haskins/Bouman 2019

Fitzmagic lol.

Foles, Bridgewater, or Tannehill.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 12:38 PM by old_man.)

Tannehill is not an option. He is always hurt.

Foles will get a new deal in Philly and Bridgewater is not leaving New Orleans.

Why would Bridgewater leave? He is learning behind one of the best and will have a good shot at starting when Brees retires.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

(12-27-2018, 12:37 PM)old_man Wrote: Tannehill is not an option.  He is always hurt.

Foles will get a new deal in Philly and Bridgewater is not leaving New Orleans.

Why are you so convinced Foles won't chase the money elsewhere? 
Philly isn't going to pay him starter money to be the back-up and someone else will.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 12:43 PM by old_man.)

We will know soon enough.

He has a good relationship in Philly. Also, with Wentz's history for injuries, they will get a new deal he may even be the starter...

Why are you in the Philly FO? How do you know they wont pay him starter money, we are suggesting we will....
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002

I mean Bortle's Contract isn't that crazy. If a team isn't going anywhere near the salary cap next year, and the owner isn't having trouble making pay roll, I don't see it outside the realm of possibilities that Bortles gets traded.