Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why didn't we trade Taven Bryan?

(11-03-2018, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 12:35 PM)TJBender Wrote: A mortgage banker in KC, if you believe LinkedIn.

Is his business partner Todd Walsh?

Blake Bottles, actually

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We drafted near the end of the first round and got the guy. It isn't like this was a top 5 pick like previous seasons. Hindsight says we should have picked Oline and why have we neglected Tight End for so long?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

To all the Bryan haters out there PFF liked him. I thought he improved as the years went on and next year I think he has a big year. Gonna go out on a limb and say he will be our most improved player.

An above average grade to end the year

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pla...ryan/48753

(01-02-2019, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: To all the Bryan haters out there PFF liked him.  He thought he improved as the years went on and next year I think he has a big year.  Gonna go out on a limb and say he will be our most improved player.

He should take over as the main 3 Tech next season.

Is this thread real?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-02-2019, 10:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: To all the Bryan haters out there PFF liked him.  He thought he improved as the years went on and next year I think he has a big year.  Gonna go out on a limb and say he will be our most improved player.

He should take over as the main 3 Tech next season.

There really isn't any doubt. Malik is as good as gone.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2019, 11:07 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

The guy that made this tread said Christian McCaffrey was trash last year in his rookie season. His 2nd year all he does is get 1000 yrds receiving and 1000 yrds rushing and sets the receiving record for RBs. A post like this from Jagfanatic24 likely means a break out year for Bryan

(01-02-2019, 10:46 PM)knarnn Wrote: Is this thread real?

I thought it had been taken out back and shot long ago.

(01-02-2019, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: To all the Bryan haters out there PFF liked him.  I thought he improved as the years went on and next year I think he has a big year.  Gonna go out on a limb and say he will be our most improved player.

i don't think you are to far out on that limb, watching him in the last couple of games he showed real power drive back Oline men. He should improve next year with weight training and experience.

(01-02-2019, 10:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: To all the Bryan haters out there PFF liked him. I thought he improved as the years went on and next year I think he has a big year. Gonna go out on a limb and say he will be our most improved player.

I agree, the final part of the season was encouraging and started to show that great first step he has (still has to work a lot on technique and reading the game). Had some good pressures and played some very good downs against the run coupled with Dareus, I remember some nice Lageman clips showing it.
I think the turning point was when they finally stopped playing him all the time outside and put him back at 3T more instead of Malik. Hopefully he builds on that.

(11-02-2018, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 12:52 PM)Kane Wrote: Actually he drafted a 3-4 end or 4-3 3T DT and they moved him to end.

The school in which a player plays is really irrelevant and I wish people wouldn't say such stupid things.
The conference, or school matters little to none.
They drafted an athlete that they thought may anchor a rotation that will take over for an aging Campbell at some point.  
Given the guys measurables - it wasn't too big of a stretch.  He's just really rawGonna take some time. 

It's not uncommon for the DE position to take two-three years to develop. (pressure and sack stats from several pass rushers over the past 12 years support that)  Plus the kid is making a position switch. 

I don't get all the knee-jerk judgement on this kid.  He's got a steep learning curve and he's only just begun. If he starts to hit his stride near the end of this season or some time next year - he's easily worth the pick.  I remain patient.

I believe he'll turn into a solid player - Alualu clone at worst, Malik Jackson in his prime at best. That said, I hate taking projects (Matt Jones being the most famous example) in the first round. Teams have four-five years with them on their rookie deals. The high-ceiling line that GMs spout when they draft Taven types is a tip-off that they're already hedging against high-bust potential.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(01-03-2019, 07:31 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 01:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They drafted an athlete that they thought may anchor a rotation that will take over for an aging Campbell at some point.  
Given the guys measurables - it wasn't too big of a stretch.  He's just really rawGonna take some time. 

It's not uncommon for the DE position to take two-three years to develop. (pressure and sack stats from several pass rushers over the past 12 years support that)  Plus the kid is making a position switch. 

I don't get all the knee-jerk judgement on this kid.  He's got a steep learning curve and he's only just begun. If he starts to hit his stride near the end of this season or some time next year - he's easily worth the pick.  I remain patient.

I believe he'll turn into a solid player - Alualu clone at worst, Malik Jackson in his prime at best. That said, I hate taking projects (Matt Jones being the most famous example) in the first round. Teams have four-five years with them on their rookie deals. The high-ceiling line that GMs spout when they draft Taven types is a tip-off that they're already hedging against high-bust potential.

I didn't hear anyone spout that about Bryan that was associated with the team's front office. It wouldn't be inaccurate though. 
The Jags brass clearly felt the great talent already in place on the line afforded them the luxury of drafting an inexpensive  replacement for one of the high priced vets. 

I don't love the pick because of the other needs the team had, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Fournette pick.

Like a tragic event, I must have blocked out this thread. I swear I don’t remember seeing this gem!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

This thread just shows you can't have knee jerk reaction when it comes to rookies.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Oh yeah, one of the classics from jagfanatic24 lol

I think all the doubt with taven was because he was drafted in the 1st rd. With our recent history of first rounders and the way he played throughout most of the season, we had little hope for him. But he came along towards the end. I still don't know if he'll be worth a first round title. But in all honesty, other than Jalen, have we really had one in the last 5-6 years? Hopefully he'll make leaps and bounds progress next year.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

How did I miss THIS thread? LOL

At first I thought it was started recently.
Then I noticed the poster.

Ahh... I needed this today. Haha.

(10-31-2018, 04:18 PM)Brett Wrote: LOL. This guy suggesting we trade our 2018 first round pick that has only played 8 regular season games. Is this a joke?

[Image: giphy.gif]

A trade makes no sense plus he has little to no value right now. I thought he was a major reach to begin with. When they took him in the 1st round, I wondered what I was missing that the Jags were not. I was told "they are just preparing for having their top D linemen hitting free agency." Well you don't "prepare" for that by wasting 1st round picks on guys who have little to no impact. 1 sack and 20 combined tackles.

People are tying to compare him to Alualu. If we get that I would be happy. Tyson was projected as a late first rounder and that is where we drafted Taven.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-04-2019, 03:04 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 04:18 PM)Brett Wrote: LOL. This guy suggesting we trade our 2018 first round pick that has only played 8 regular season games. Is this a joke?

A trade makes no sense plus he has little to no value right now. I thought he was a major reach to begin with. When they took him in the 1st round, I wondered what I was missing that the Jags were not. I was told "they are just preparing for having their top D linemen hitting free agency." Well you don't "prepare" for that by wasting 1st round picks on guys who have little to no impact. 1 sack and 20 combined tackles.

The trade was suggested at Halloween.  You're responding to an old post. 

Also - what you were missing back last April was apparently quite a bit as most of the prominent analysts had Taven Bryan ranked between #17-#40 on their big board prospect rankings.  He was considered good value at #29 by many analysts. 

CBS had him at 17
Mayock had him at 26
links:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...und-locks/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...t-rankings

He's a rookie that was called a raw prospect with very high upside -  and he  played out of position for camp and half of his first season. 
Let's not get ahead of ourselves thinking he'll have no impact when he's got another offseason under his belt at his preferred position.  D-Linemen commonly take a year to three years to get their technique caught up to their talent enough to succeed with the big boys. He has plenty of value.