Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stadium Talk

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/f...he-jaguars

We need to be proactive with this.

The closing sentence speaks volumes.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

If I am Shad Khan and he is serious about staying in Jacksonville, I build a new stadium that isn't downtown. COJ has had nearly a quarter of a century to improve downtown and the conditions around the stadium and has refused to do so.

He may be smart to do it in St. Johns County.

Since I have never been in Jacksonville, can you guys tell me whats wrong with Jax doxntown or around the stadium ? Thanks

This is being so blown out of proportion. The question was asked in respect to Jacksonville getting another Super Bowl.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-11-2019, 09:49 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Since I have never been in Jacksonville, can you guys tell me whats wrong with Jax doxntown or around the stadium ? Thanks

It is unsafe, nothing to do, no decent forms of public transportation, hard to get to.

Other than that, it's a good location.

Lamping literally said the exact same thing he said last summer in the state of the franchise presentation.
I mean practically verbatim to the very word.

The only thing new here is a little dose of spin from an eager writer.

(01-11-2019, 09:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If I am Shad Khan and he is serious about staying in Jacksonville, I build a new stadium that isn't downtown. COJ has had nearly a quarter of a century to improve downtown and the conditions around the stadium and has refused to do so.

I rarely agree with you.

But man, I've said it so many times, downtown is trash.

Other cities, their attractions are downtown. In Jacksonville, our attractions are in the suburbs. You have to go to St John's Town Center or River City or Jax beach to have a decent time. I do think the city needs to do something about downtown. Its the black eye of our city as of right now.

Now moving it to St. Johns county is a bit much. there is so much land in Duval can be tore down and a stadium can be built. I wish the city would just let this man do what he wants to do. Khan has repeatedly tried to make this city an attraction and they keep denying him.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(01-11-2019, 09:56 AM)Rico Wrote: This is being so blown out of proportion.  The question was asked in respect to Jacksonville getting another Super Bowl.

How long do you think stadiums last before reaching obsolescence?

The shelf life is about 30 years.

(01-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 09:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If I am Shad Khan and he is serious about staying in Jacksonville, I build a new stadium that isn't downtown. COJ has had nearly a quarter of a century to improve downtown and the conditions around the stadium and has refused to do so.

I rarely agree with you.

Other cities, their attractions are downtown. In Jacksonville, our attractions are in the suburbs. You have to go to St John's Town Center or River City or Jax beach to have a decent time. I do think the city needs to do something about downtown. Its the black eye of our city as of right now.

Now moving it to St. Johns county is a bit much. there is so much land in Duval can be tore down and a stadium can be built. I wish the city would just let this man do what he wants to do. Khan has repeatedly tried to make this city an attraction and they keep denying him.

Not making this religious because it's not about religion. A Church isn't necessarily about religion.

FBC. They hold back downtown. They have since the beginning of Jacksonville.

(01-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote:

I rarely agree with you.

I only mentioned SJC because it could potentially expand the fan base to Orlando, and while I am personally not on the "SJC Bandwagon", it is a popular part of JAX/PV.

Then what happens to the rest of his planned downtown development?

Isn't part of the allure of his Shipyards/Lot J development based upon building around the stadium?

My question is why hasn't the cleanup been agreed to?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 10:09 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(01-11-2019, 10:04 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:01 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: I rarely agree with you.

Not making this religious because it's not about religion. A Church isn't necessarily about religion.

If people only knew how many potential "night life" businesses the FBC has destroyed from getting a start in downtown Jacksonville, they would be astounded.

(01-11-2019, 10:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

Then what happens to the rest of his planned downtown development?

Isn't part of the allure of his Shipyards/Lot J development based upon building around the stadium?

The Shipyards has been talked about forever. Its a pipe dream and has been the carrot on the stick to keep people excited about what downtown "could be". 

Even if he built a shiny new shipyard, it is still a massive hassle getting downtown. Look no further than the monorail downtown as a statue to the ineptitude of our citys leadership over the past few decades.

(01-11-2019, 09:49 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Since I have never been in Jacksonville, can you guys tell me whats wrong with Jax doxntown or around the stadium ? Thanks

Nothing.

Fearful suburbanites just make up reasons not to go there. 
Because Jax is so spread out - there are many communities that are 40 minutes or more from downtown, so those folks have a convenience factor to deal with as well. 

It could be a thriving downtown if it didn't have some preposterous stigma and folks had the cojones to venture out from the safety of their far-flung cul-de-sacs and stripmalls. 

Metro Jax is about as far flung as a city can be and it doesn't really have an "urban core."   The newer residential buildings along the waterfront downtown are half empty. People don't want to live there and the dozen or so bars and restaurants seem to have just enough clientele to survive. I make a point to eat and drink downtown at least once a month and I always enjoy it. It's really strange the way folks stay away though.  There's no degree of homelessness or crime that is disproportionate to a city of this size. And the way the river winds through downtown makes it seem even more inviting. I don't understand why folks are so anti-downtown. Makes no sense to me.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-11-2019, 10:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:04 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not making this religious because it's not about religion. A Church isn't necessarily about religion.

If people only knew how many potential "night life" businesses the FBC has destroyed from getting a start in downtown Jacksonville, they would be astounded.

(01-11-2019, 10:06 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Then what happens to the rest of his planned downtown development?

The Shipyards has been talked about forever. Its a pipe dream and has been the carrot on the stick to keep people excited about what downtown "could be". 

Even if he built a shiny new shipyard, it is still a massive hassle getting downtown. Look no further than the monorail downtown as a statue to the ineptitude of our citys leadership over the past few decades.
Agreed "city leadership" has been an oxymoron phrase here in Jacksonville, though it's my understanding the skyway express was sabotaged by the state legislature.

As far as the Shipyards being a pipe dream, considering what the city has done to secure federal funding for the Hart Bridge changes, I think it's a little past a pipe dream, although until it is actually done...until the ground is actually broken, it is right to remain skeptical.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local.../884432684

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(01-11-2019, 10:17 AM)YC4jags Wrote:

Nothing.

Because Jax is so spread out - there are many communities that are 40 minutes or more from downtown, so those folks have a convenience factor to deal with as well. 

It could be a thriving downtown if it didn't have some preposterous stigma and folks had the cojones to venture out from the safety of their far-flung cul-de-sacs and stripmalls. 

Metro Jax is about as far flung as a city can be and it doesn't really have an "urban core."   The newer residential buildings along the waterfront downtown are half empty. People don't want to live there and the dozen or so bars and restaurants seem to have just enough clientele to survive. I make a point to eat and drink downtown at least once a month and I always enjoy it. It's really strange the way folks stay away though.  There's no degree of homelessness or crime that is disproportionate to a city of this size. And the way the river winds through downtown makes it seem even more inviting. I don't understand why folks are so anti-downtown. Makes no sense to me.

Make up reasons not to go there? Maybe "suburbanites" just don't consider Burrito Gallery "fine dining" or getting harassed by homeless people after hunting for a parking space for 20 minutes. 

[Image: hiding-head-in-sand-620x250.jpg-600x241.jpg]

This is just further proof that Khan does not intend to move. If he intended to move, he'd ignore the issue, let the stadium age into obsolescence, demand a new stadium that the city could not possibly afford all at once, and when the city balks, move the team. But instead, he is being proactive about the stadium, raising the issue far enough in advance that we have time to deal with it.

It's just further proof that he intends to stay in Jacksonville.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

It looks like a dump. Homeless people and litter everywhere. Dilapidated buildings. A jail house and a homeless center is close by.  Ugly coffee manufacture building and shipyard. There's a high rise condo building that's never been completed. People who come from out of state to watch the Gator Bowl have told me Jacksonville is ghetto.

(01-11-2019, 10:27 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:

It looks like a dump. Homeless people and litter everywhere. Dilapidated buildings. A RIVER FRONT jail house and a homeless center is close by.  Ugly coffee manufacture building and shipyard.

Fixed it for you...

(01-11-2019, 10:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-11-2019, 10:17 AM)YC4jags Wrote: Nothing.

Make up reasons not to go there? Maybe "suburbanites" just don't consider Burrito Gallery "fine dining" or getting harassed by homeless people after hunting for a parking space for 20 minutes. 

[Image: hiding-head-in-sand-620x250.jpg-600x241.jpg]

Here is a decent article that discusses part of the reason why the Skyway express and downtown Jacksonville generally has not developed.

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/articl...-rid-of-it

(01-11-2019, 10:27 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:

It looks like a dump. Homeless people and litter everywhere. Dilapidated buildings. A jail house and a homeless center is close by.  Ugly coffee manufacture building and shipyard. People who come from out of state to watch the Gator Bowl have told me Jacksonville is ghetto.

Try Cowford Chophouse.  That's a really nice place.