Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars hire George Warhop as Oline coach

Ahem, it's not that interesting of a take lol.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-14-2019, 11:51 AM)Upper Wrote: Ahem, it's not that interesting of a take lol.

Your theory is gaining steam. 

As an aside, have you followed Prisco on twitter? 
He's hilariously bad at it.  Takes offense to every troll and makes theater out of blocking them.

IMO, the ultimate measure of how good or bad an NFL position coach is would probably be his tenure in the league. Guys who spend a couple years in the pros, then go back to Division II, then get a call from a desperate pro team, bounce around for a few more years then take some time off before being hired again probably aren't great. But Warhop's been in the NFL consistently for the last 23 years, all of them as an OL coach. He must be doing something right to stick around for that long, and to stick with the same team for several years at a time in four of his six pre-Jacksonville stops. A bad coach doesn't have that kind of history.

(01-14-2019, 12:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: IMO, the ultimate measure of how good or bad an NFL position coach is would probably be his tenure in the league. Guys who spend a couple years in the pros, then go back to Division II, then get a call from a desperate pro team, bounce around for a few more years then take some time off before being hired again probably aren't great. But Warhop's been in the NFL consistently for the last 23 years, all of them as an OL coach. He must be doing something right to stick around for that long, and to stick with the same team for several years at a time in four of his six pre-Jacksonville stops. A bad coach doesn't have that kind of history.

Very good point.  ^

Guess we'll find out....see what he and a O line that can maybe stay healthy next year
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-14-2019, 11:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:51 AM)Upper Wrote: Ahem, it's not that interesting of a take lol.

Your theory is gaining steam. 

As an aside, have you followed Prisco on twitter? 
He's hilariously bad at it.  Takes offense to every troll and makes theater out of blocking them.

I do haha. He was in rare form last night, even for him.

I know nothing of these position guys. Welcome aboard coaches I have never heard of until today. Go Jaguars. Interesting that the playoffs this year represented the top offenses in the leagues.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-14-2019, 12:02 PM)TJBender Wrote: IMO, the ultimate measure of how good or bad an NFL position coach is would probably be his tenure in the league. Guys who spend a couple years in the pros, then go back to Division II, then get a call from a desperate pro team, bounce around for a few more years then take some time off before being hired again probably aren't great. But Warhop's been in the NFL consistently for the last 23 years, all of them as an OL coach. He must be doing something right to stick around for that long, and to stick with the same team for several years at a time in four of his six pre-Jacksonville stops. A bad coach doesn't have that kind of history.

Counterpoint : there are tons of bad coaches and coordinators who have remained in the league for years.

(01-14-2019, 11:48 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:31 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Keep in mind the Jaguars have two of the best interior linemen in the game with Norwell and Linder returning. We mainly need Warhop to groom Cam along with coaching up whoever we end up plugging in on the right side. 

Pete Prisco suggested Robinson would be much better as a guard and said we should move him there and draft an LT. Interesting take.

Cam is a LT. I totally disagree with Pete there.
'02

Exactly. This is what I was saying in another post when I was talking about stats and formula being all well and good but I'm much more interested in what the guy's peers and players think of him. He seems to be well thought of by that criteria.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Greg Olson is well respected around the league , players have said great things about him, but I'd wager no fanbase would be too happy to have him as their OC would they?

(01-14-2019, 01:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: Greg Olson is well respected around the league , players have said great things about him, but I'd wager no fanbase would be too happy to have him as their OC would they?

You're kidding. Olson has has had success as a coordinator in his time in the league. His stint in Jacksonville must be clouding your perception. This is exactly why I generally respect coach's opinions over fan's opinions.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-14-2019, 01:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:16 PM)JackCity Wrote: Greg Olson is well respected around the league , players have said great things about him, but I'd wager no fanbase would be too happy to have him as their OC would they?

You're kidding. Olson has has had success as a coordinator in his time in the league. His stint in Jacksonville must be clouding your perception. This is exactly why I generally respect coach's opinions over fan's opinions.

No I'm not kidding when I say Greg Olson is a bad coordinator and no fanbase would want him as OC.  Just look at how his QBs performed year 2/3 with him.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 01:59 PM by Adam2012.)

(01-14-2019, 01:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

What? - respect the opinion of people who have been in the profession for years as opposed to those who watch the NFL on television? Come on now.

Now, there is certainly some of that let's hire our friends in the NFL, as there is in any industry. But when you are judged, and employed, based on wins and loses you tend to have incentive to hire people who have shown some expertise in their line of work.

Like any of us has a clue as to who is or isn't a good O-line coach. O-line!
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM by jagman.)

Has the Jag front office confirmed Warhop's hiring or is this speculation on our part?

(01-14-2019, 01:58 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:28 PM)hb1148 Wrote: You're kidding. Olson has has had success as a coordinator in his time in the league. His stint in Jacksonville must be clouding your perception. This is exactly why I generally respect coach's opinions over fan's opinions.

What? - respect the opinion of people who have been in the profession for years as opposed to those who watch the NFL on television? Come on now.

Now, there is certainly some of that let's hire our friends in the NFL, as there is in any industry. But when you are judged, and employed, based on wins and loses you tend to have incentive to hire people who have shown some expertise in their line of work.

Ah yes...how would any of us mere mortals know that Dante Scarnecchia and Mike Munchak are really good Oline coaches and that Tom Cable is an awful Oline coach??? 

What a mystery

(01-14-2019, 02:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:58 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: What? - respect the opinion of people who have been in the profession for years as opposed to those who watch the NFL on television? Come on now.

Ah yes...how would any of us mere mortals know that Dante Scarnecchia and Mike Munchak are really good Oline coaches and that Tom Cable is an awful Oline coach??? 

What a mystery

Joe Thomas and Alex Mack developed into pretty good players under Warhop.

How does that happen if he is so bad?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-14-2019, 02:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 01:58 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: What? - respect the opinion of people who have been in the profession for years as opposed to those who watch the NFL on television? Come on now.

What a mystery

Players not plays. I bet you think whomever is the QB coach in Green Bay is better than the QB coach in Miami.

And next year you can change that opinion based on other factors.

It's a team game. Assuming who is good or bad as a position coach, without ever being around any players, without ever being around practices or workouts, without ever being around training rooms or position meetings, is the height of Fanboy hubris.

Just my opinion.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(01-14-2019, 02:10 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 02:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Ah yes...how would any of us mere mortals know that Dante Scarnecchia and Mike Munchak are really good Oline coaches and that Tom Cable is an awful Oline coach??? 

What a mystery

Players not plays. I bet you think whomever is the QB coach in Green Bay is better than the QB coach in Miami.

And next year you can change that opinion based on other factors.

It's a team game. Assuming who is good or bad as a position coach, without ever being around any players, without ever being around practices or workouts, without ever being around training rooms or position meetings, is the height of Fanboy hubris.

Just my opinion.

Players AND plays.  No that's not how things work.  

You don't need to be in a position meeting to know Tom Cable is an awful offensive line , nor do you to know Dante or Mike Munchak are elite offensive line coaches.  

By your logic there is no way fans can ever know if a player or head coach is good or bad. Hue Jackson is an elite head coach, fans aren't in meeting rooms or involved in gameplanning so how are we to know?

(01-14-2019, 02:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 02:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Ah yes...how would any of us mere mortals know that Dante Scarnecchia and Mike Munchak are really good Oline coaches and that Tom Cable is an awful Oline coach??? 

What a mystery

Joe Thomas and Alex Mack developed into pretty good players under Warhop.

How does that happen if he is so bad?

Well for one bad coaches can have good players. Secondly , Joe Thomas was an all pro type player before Warhop even got there.  

Deserves credit for developing Alex Mack (and Ali Marpet) , but he was also a top 20 pick so it's not like he was some bum Warhop turned good. Still deserves credit for them