Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kyler Murray

I really don't know if this kid is gonna get drafted. He's not totally committed to football and he's gonna need to be a first rounder or he's gonna go back to baseball, where he already has a contract. Who wants to spend a first round pick on a 5'9", QB who can walk out at any time and make almost as much in another sport. If things don't go his way, he could just quit football and the NFL that took him would be out a first round pick. That is a HUGE risk.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM by knarnn.)

(01-15-2019, 05:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really don't know if this kid is gonna get drafted. He's not totally committed to football and he's gonna need to be a first rounder or he's gonna go back to baseball, where he already has a contract. Who wants to spend a first round pick on a 5'9", QB who can walk out at any time and make almost as much in another sport. If things don't go his way, he could just quit football and the NFL that took him would be out a first round pick. That is a HUGE risk.

ANY player can do this and some already have. You don’t have to be a two sport athlete to make the decision to hang it up if things aren’t going your way or if you have a change of heart.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(01-15-2019, 06:19 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really don't know if this kid is gonna get drafted. He's not totally committed to football and he's gonna need to be a first rounder or he's gonna go back to baseball, where he already has a contract. Who wants to spend a first round pick on a 5'9", QB who can walk out at any time and make almost as much in another sport. If things don't go his way, he could just quit football and the NFL that took him would be out a first round pick. That is a HUGE risk.

ANY player can do this and some already have. You don’t have to be a two sport athlete to make the decision to hang it up if things aren’t going your way or if you have a change of heart.

Justin Blackmon chose to hang it up to be an alcoholic for example

Teams are only drafting him in the first if they have a full commitment from him. He'll likely play baseball if not a first round pick.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019, 07:08 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-15-2019, 06:19 PM)knarnn Wrote:

It makes it A LOT easier though, knowing you already have millions of dollars coming to you by playing another sport. That's what makes this so different.

(01-15-2019, 06:23 PM)JNev Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:19 PM)knarnn Wrote: ANY player can do this and some already have. You don’t have to be a two sport athlete to make the decision to hang it up if things aren’t going your way or if you have a change of heart.

Justin Blackmon chose to hang it up to be an alcoholic for example

That guy had mental issues. His addictions caused him to abandon football.

(01-15-2019, 06:53 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Teams are only drafting him in the first if they have a full commitment from him. He'll likely play baseball if not a first round pick.

Agreed, but what if he gets taken in the first round and he isn't promised to be a starter from day 1 or the contract isn't what he wants? That's what I'd be worried about, if I were a GM. He's already a risk because of his size, now teams have to worry about him holding all the cards in contract negotiations and playing time. That's a ton of risks.

(01-15-2019, 04:49 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 04:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Because the SEC is some great defensive conference. The SEC only seemed great because they produce crap QBs. Tua didn't seem to mind playing against those "elite" SEC defenses. Neither did OU, Clemson, Baylor, VA, OKSt, Texas, UCF, or Iowa.

So you think the average DT and DE in the Big 12 is anywhere even close to the average SEC DT and DE?

I want what you're smoking... because have you seen Big 12 DTs and DEs? They tiny.
So being bigger makes you better?

I’d assume all the top sack leaders in the NFL are from the SEC then right?

(01-15-2019, 07:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 06:19 PM)knarnn Wrote: ANY player can do this and some already have. You don’t have to be a two sport athlete to make the decision to hang it up if things aren’t going your way or if you have a change of heart.

It makes it A LOT easier though, knowing you already have millions of dollars coming to you by playing another sport. That's what makes this so different.

(01-15-2019, 06:23 PM)JNev Wrote: Justin Blackmon chose to hang it up to be an alcoholic for example

That guy had mental issues. His addictions caused him to abandon football.

(01-15-2019, 06:53 PM)JackCity Wrote: Teams are only drafting him in the first if they have a full commitment from him. He'll likely play baseball if not a first round pick.

Agreed, but what if he gets taken in the first round and he isn't promised to be a starter from day 1 or the contract isn't what he wants? That's what I'd be worried about, if I were a GM. He's already a risk because of his size, now teams have to worry about him holding all the cards in contract negotiations and playing time. That's a ton of risks.

Teams will have hashed out all of these issues with his agent prior to drafting him in the first. Agreed he's riskier than most picks but they'll have done ALL of their homework prior to even considering drafting him in the first.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2019, 02:12 PM by Mikey.)

(01-15-2019, 03:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 03:38 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: He has 3 career fumbles lost. Will Grier has 7 and Daniel Jones has 13. Even Haskins has one more lost fumble than Murray.

Playing in what conference again? Oh that's right.. the conference with zero defense.

[whispers]
Grier is Big 12 too

(also started for multiples of season, stats without context can be misleading)

Unless he issues an ultimatum, "first round or to the dugout I go", I figure he'll be drafted. He may just end up closer to where Russell Wilson was picked than where Mayfield was.

CBS mock draft has the Giants selecting Kyler Murray at #6. Turrible.

(01-16-2019, 05:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: CBS mock draft has the Giants selecting  Kyler Murray at #6.  Turrible.

I sincerely hope they do.

Apart from size, which seems like the majority we all agree, what else are some negatives? I don’t see many.

(01-17-2019, 08:00 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Apart from size, which seems like the majority we all agree, what else are some negatives? I don’t see many.

The truth. Dude checks everything except height. To me he’s a much better prospect than someone like Josh Allen who has the size and athleticism but nothing else.

I'd take Murray over Haskins

Can't wait to hear about his lack of height, small hands and sleight frame for the next 3 months while people ignore the fact that he is one of those unbelievably gifted people that will thrive in almost any sport. He will be a superstar.

(01-16-2019, 06:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 05:02 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: CBS mock draft has the Giants selecting  Kyler Murray at #6.  Turrible.

I sincerely hope they do.

Now they have Kyler Murray at #7.  Turrible

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/...aqfisgvw0h

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(01-17-2019, 08:48 PM)Jags239 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:00 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Apart from size, which seems like the majority we all agree, what else are some negatives? I don’t see many.

The truth. Dude checks everything except height. To me he’s a much better prospect than someone like Josh Allen who has the size and athleticism but nothing else.

Frame too, buddy.

He has the frame of a little boy.

I was bigger than him at 14.

I know pictures don't always do comparisons justice, but this is pretty telling about Murray's real size. Don't they list Haskins at 6'3 and around 230? He looks like hes got at least 6 inches and at least 50 pounds on Murray in this side by side picture.

Tua isn't the biggest guy in the world either and he still makes Murray look tiny.

[Image: 45CYYBDA75GXNEPKW2CQDUCVEU.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM by knarnn.)

He’ll be just fine. It worked out for these guys. In fact Kyler is probably about the same height/weight as Doug is.

[Image: drew-brees-doug-flutie-chargers.png]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Today's NFL is different, the idea that a QB needs to be a huge physical specimen to survive is obsolete. QBs are now protected more than ever, in a league that now values player safety more than ever. They are taking less hits than ever before, even scrambling QBs rarely get hit. The only important thing is their talent to play the position. Murray clearly has that. I'd be delighted if we picked him at 7.

(01-18-2019, 08:38 PM)JagJohn Wrote: Today's NFL is different, the idea that a QB needs to be a huge physical specimen to survive is obsolete. QBs are now protected more than ever, in a league that now values player safety more than ever. They are taking less hits than ever before, even scrambling QBs rarely get hit. The only important thing is their talent to play the position. Murray clearly has that. I'd be delighted if we picked him at 7.

While I actually agree with the entirety of this post, unfortunately the NFL and the people in charge who make the decisions for teams around the league are a bunch of old guys who are stuck doing things the way it “used to be done” as it relates to H/W/S. The NFL is slowwwwwww to adapt. I mean look at Russell Wilson as the most recent example.