Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 06:56 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-06-2019, 06:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Heard some positive reports RE Haskins to Jags but have to remind myself this is the same front office that completely screwed the QB position for years and took Fournette over multiple stud QBs.  

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it

That's the dream, but I'm not counting on it to happen. I have a feeling we will draft either Lock or Jones and we'll end up having this same type of discussion in 3 years when we are looking for another starting QB, because we "whiffed" again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM by rpr52121.)

(02-06-2019, 06:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Heard some positive reports RE Haskins to Jags but have to remind myself this is the same front office that completely screwed the QB position for years and took Fournette over multiple stud QBs.  

I'm not sure why that should make you not believe in those reports. If anything, this front office has shown that once they believe in a player and he is not a headcase off the field (a la Fowler), they will support him to the end.

Bortles was their guy, they just hid pre-draft and keep holding to that belief.

They loved Ramsey who was their No. 1 guy.

They loved Fournette and never were going to consider a QB because they loved Bortles at the time. Jury is still out on whether Fournette goes full headcase and gets cut, but until then he will be there guy.

They loved and kept Joekel there until the very end.

Eagles, unfortunately!

(02-06-2019, 06:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

That's the dream, but I'm not counting on it to happen. I have a feeling we will draft either Lock or Jones and we'll end up having this same type of discussion in 3 years when we are looking for another starting QB, because we "whiffed" again.

The Jags live scouted Ohio State at least 5 times this 2018 season. They were basically at every other Ohio State game. There's only one player on that team they went to see live that many times and he plays the QB position. We'll find out shortly in March at FA time about how they go about the QB position, but I think the Jags are going to make a serious play for Haskins in this Draft.

They didn't live scout any other QB that much this season.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2019, 10:20 PM by JackCity.)

(02-06-2019, 09:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 06:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's the dream, but I'm not counting on it to happen. I have a feeling we will draft either Lock or Jones and we'll end up having this same type of discussion in 3 years when we are looking for another starting QB, because we "whiffed" again.

The Jags live scouted Ohio State at least 5 times this 2018 season. They were basically at every other Ohio State game. There's only one player on that team they went to see live that many times and he plays the QB position. We'll find out shortly in March at FA time about how they go about the QB position, but I think the Jags are going to make a serious play for Haskins in this Draft.

Yeah I've seen that. Not that uncommon for teams to spend a lot of time at Bama, Ohio State, Clemson etc etc etc during draft season though + the numbers we have for games attended by jags staff is nowhere close to complete. 

I do think we have Haskins as QB1 and would rather draft our guy than Foles, I'm not just not gonna give the front office the benefit of the doubt they'll get it done until it happens.

(02-06-2019, 10:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The Jags live scouted Ohio State at least 5 times this 2018 season. They were basically at every other Ohio State game. There's only one player on that team they went to see live that many times and he plays the QB position. We'll find out shortly in March at FA time about how they go about the QB position, but I think the Jags are going to make a serious play for Haskins in this Draft.

Yeah I've seen that. Not that uncommon for teams to spend a lot of time at Bama, Ohio State, Clemson etc etc etc during draft season though + the numbers we have for games attended by jags staff is nowhere close to complete. 

I do think we have Haskins as QB1 and would rather draft our guy than Foles, I'm not just not gonna give the front office the benefit of the doubt they'll get it done until it happens.

Yea, they could have been at every Ohio State game for all we know, I just said at least 5 because it was confirmed they were at 5 games in 2018 for sure.

I think Giants drafts Lock, we sign Foles, and Denver drafts Haskins

(02-06-2019, 10:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 09:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The Jags live scouted Ohio State at least 5 times this 2018 season. They were basically at every other Ohio State game. There's only one player on that team they went to see live that many times and he plays the QB position. We'll find out shortly in March at FA time about how they go about the QB position, but I think the Jags are going to make a serious play for Haskins in this Draft.

My thoughts exactly.

(02-06-2019, 10:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Giants drafts Lock, we sign Foles, and Denver drafts Haskins

I am so glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read this.

You got to warn folks before doing that, man!

Foles is the real thing. The Man has talent and is not afraid of his own shadow. The Jags would benefit from a veteran that just recently made the superbowl and won, but came close to doing it twice.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(02-07-2019, 09:48 AM)Ronster Wrote: Foles is the real thing. The Man has talent and is not afraid of his own shadow. The Jags would benefit from a veteran that just recently made the superbowl and won, but came close to doing it twice.
How did he come close? He didn't even make a conference final this season.....

Also.... Is the boycott over?

(02-07-2019, 09:30 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 10:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Giants drafts Lock, we sign Foles, and Denver drafts Haskins

I am so glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read this.

You got to warn folks before doing that, man!

Which part was funny?

it doesn't matter who the qb is when you have no offenssive line. even if cam robson is healthy hes a free agent,and the back offenssive line players stink. without a line to protect the qb it doesn't matter whos back there. if anything bortles can do the one thing as qb the team needs,and thats get creamed all the time,and still stay out there to play. don't get me wrong we need a better qb yes,but my point is our qb is gonna get creamed,and bortles is use to getting creamed.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Just out of interest, would people's expectation levels for the team be the same if we got Haskins or Foles? 

Ones a raw rookie, the other would be settling into a new team. Would Haskins be given a learning spell or would Foles be expected to hit the ground running?

Foles and Robinson would work together well because of the jump and get it plays. I'm not sold on Foles with our coaches and game plans.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-07-2019, 05:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just out of interest, would people's expectation levels for the team be the same if we got Haskins or Foles? 

Ones a raw rookie, the other would be settling into a new team. Would Haskins be given a learning spell or would Foles be expected to hit the ground running?

Just my opinion, but ANY rookie college QB is going to be worse than a veteran.  There are a few limited examples that say otherwise, but I would rather go for the veteran.  For all we know, Haskins or [insert college QB name here] could be nothing more than another Johnny Manziel.  Remember, these are kids that have never seen football at this level.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019, 07:25 PM by Jags.)

(02-07-2019, 07:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 05:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just out of interest, would people's expectation levels for the team be the same if we got Haskins or Foles? 

Just my opinion, but ANY rookie college QB is going to be worse than a veteran.  There are a few limited examples that say otherwise, but I would rather go for the veteran.  For all we know, Haskins or [insert college QB name here] could be nothing more than another Johnny Manziel.  Remember, these are kids that have never seen football at this level.

I feel the same way.  Not only that, I keep looking at it as a front office point of view.  Even if “Haskins” or whoever, and Foles have the same stats and same record, I feel there is more leniency with the vet that has proven he can play and win a SB vs a rookie.  After all, my job is in danger.   Yes, I’m a Foles supporter and would love to have him.  I’ll be the guy eating crow if he fails next year no matter what team he is on.  On a personal level, I’d also take Foles over an unproven rookie.  Haskins could be the next Brady or the next Manziel.   Who knows.  But a competent QB with our defense is an O-line, TE and WR away from potentially bringing home the Lombardi.   Foles has proved to be such a man.  Take the vet, draft the talent around him.   I know that’s unconventional, but our current state (plus FO’s future) leads me to believe this is the route.

Haskins or Foles?

Are we talking about the 2020 elections? Shouldn't this go in the Political section?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I'd expect Foles to out perform Haskins year 1 of course. Rookie Qbs are generally below average.   

The hope for a Haskins rookie year is to protect him as best you can and hope a run game/strong offensive line can keep him chugging a long before he starts figuring things out a bit later in the year. 

Kind of like what we saw with Darnold this year but Haskins won't be as turnover prone.  

So yeah there's no doubt Foles makes us more competitive year 1

(02-07-2019, 07:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Of course, the probability that Foles would be better in the short term is very high. I really believe that it wouldn't be too long before Haskins overtakes him though and becomes better for a much longer period of time. I don't wanna build this team for the short term. I wanna build a dynasty like the Patriots and I truly believe Haskins can be a big puzzle piece toward building that type of team.