Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick and the NFL reach settlement

(02-15-2019, 04:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Problem with that is he doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He doesn't have what it takes between the ears to translate his quick release and shifty movements into competent QB play.

You are aware Chad Henne and numerous other worse QBs are in the NFL right now

He always made it clear he was a starter.... I thought that's what we were talking about.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kaepernick is a handful of plays away from being a super bowl champion. Many of us are advocating paying Nick Foles crazy money because of his great play at the right time, and his own SB pedigree sure doesn't hurt.

For years, at least one of us was a HUGE critic of Foles, due to his bad play at the wrong time. QBs have off years, and Kaepernick sure did. I don't think it meant he forgot how to play. Watching Kaepernick, I think it was obvious he still had something left to offer, and I also think it was obvious he was too toxic to touch. Khan sure as hell wasn't going to give it a try in a largely conservative, military town like Jax. I don't know whether other owners felt they would have the same problem, but if it's simply a football ability issue, as Caldrac and others are arguing, I submit to you: Blaine Gabbert, backup, Tennessee.

It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks of Kaepernick after a few years, and I have to admit, I'd be watching intently if he ever took another NFL snap. Until Mahommes lit it up this year, the only QB I saw that could throw better running at full speed was Aaron Rodgers.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019, 02:46 AM by JagNGeorgia.)

Those numbers from Denver may have been from before his protests, but it offers at least one team's value for him.

Incognito was suspended for four months in 2013 and couldn't get a contract for 2014. And he was one of the best OL in the NFL at the time.

All for being accused of bullying and being racist. Granted, Kaep didn't do anything detrimental to the team inside the locker room, but it certainly did for public perception. I can't understand why this lawsuit was even allowed to continue.

(02-15-2019, 10:08 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Kaepernick is a handful of plays away from being a super bowl champion.  

Three years before he stopped playing... and before two really bad seasons...

He was never more than just decent.

He caused a lot of problems for the league, so the league paid to make it go away.

Just as wise corporations do, even if they weren't in the wrong.

Like this case.

Life goes on without him. Just another forgettable skidmark in history.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(02-16-2019, 10:45 PM)pirkster Wrote: He caused a lot of problems for the league, so the league paid to make it go away.

Just as wise corporations do, even if they weren't in the wrong.

Like this case.

Life goes on without him.  Just another forgettable skidmark in history.

How exactly would a confidentiality agreement work in this scenario do you know?  

If *any* piece of evidence leaked from it would that render the deal null and void or would it have to be proved it came directly from Kap?

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019, 02:14 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-16-2019, 02:43 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I can't understand why this lawsuit was even allowed to continue.

(02-15-2019, 10:08 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Kaepernick is a handful of plays away from being a super bowl champion.  

(Emphasis added)

As to the italicized portion, I have a few questions for you...

1.  Have you seen the case law for collusion cases?

2.  Do you know what the standard is for summary judgment?

3.  Have you seen the discovery materials related to this case?

Perhaps that's why you don't understand why the suit was allowed to continue.

As to the portion in bold, taking your description of Kaepernick's skills at face value, there are plenty of QBs that have been in the league the past 2-3 years that never even reached the "just decent" level of play, including Blaine Gabbert, Nathan Peterman, and Cody Kessler.

As to the assessment of his last two seasons, I am mystified as to which two seasons you refer.

Statistically, he had one bad season where he had a rating in the 70s....that was 2015, where he had a rating of 78.5.  Beyond that, his post Super Bowl appearance seasons had ratings of 86.4, 78.5, and 90.7-his last year (the one where he was "beaten out" by Gabbert).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...epCo00.htm

If you want to cite his record as a starter, note the defense in his last year was rock bottom in the league in many many categories, including points allowed and yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...o/2016.htm

Also note the team's W-L problems continued after he left.  As it stands now, the 49ers pick 2nd in the draft.  It isn't because of Kaepernick, and they didn't trade up to get that spot.

It's disingenuous to blame him for all of that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-18-2019, 02:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 02:43 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I can't understand why this lawsuit was even allowed to continue.

(Emphasis added)

As to the portion in bold, taking your description of Kaepernick's skills at face value, there are plenty of QBs that have been in the league the past 2-3 years that never even reached the "just decent" level of play, including Blaine Gabbert, Nathan Peterman, and Cody Kessler.

As to the assessment of his last two seasons, I am mystified as to which two seasons you refer.

Statistically, he had one bad season where he had a rating in the 70s....that was 2015, where he had a rating of 78.5.  Beyond that, his post Super Bowl appearance seasons had ratings of 86.4, 78.5, and 90.7-his last year (the one where he was "beaten out" by Gabbert).

If you want to cite his record as a starter, note the defense in his last year was rock bottom in the league in many many categories, including points allowed and yards.

Also note the team's W-L problems continued after he left.  As it stands now, the 49ers pick 2nd in the draft.  It isn't because of Kaepernick, and they didn't trade up to get that spot.

No, admittedly I don't know what's required for collusion cases, but I also wouldn't assume his case would justify an estimated $60M settlement. A number, if true, is likely significantly less than what he asked. I don't pretend to know if his case is text book collusion, but that's also partly why I said I don't understand why it was allowed to continued. Similarly, I'd ask if you know (and how you know) if his case is one of collusion. It's difficult to understand your first and second points since I don't know of any other instances in sports where collusion was cited. 

I think you may be confusing my point.

I never said he didn't belong in the NFL. I do believe teams avoided him because of his protesting, but I believe teams use personal reasons to avoid players. If he was good enough to overlook his protesting, I don't doubt he'd still be on a team. My stance is that he's overrated and hasn't produced a season worthy of praise. He had a couple decent seasons. However, like how you contribute some of their failures to their defense, I contribute some of their success to the defense.

Defensive rankings:
2012--3rd
2013--5th
2014--10th
2015--29th
2016--32nd

I think this hurts your stance. They were only good when their defense was good. Kaep was just good enough to take advantage of that, but he wasn't good enough to overcome it.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 06:50 AM by JackCity.)

(02-20-2019, 02:35 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 02:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

No, admittedly I don't know what's required for collusion cases, but I also wouldn't assume his case would justify an estimated $60M settlement. A number, if true, is likely significantly less than what he asked. I don't pretend to know if his case is text book collusion, but that's also partly why I said I don't understand why it was allowed to continued. Similarly, I'd ask if you know (and how you know) if his case is one of collusion. It's difficult to understand your first and second points since I don't know of any other instances in sports where collusion was cited. 

I never said he didn't belong in the NFL. I do believe teams avoided him because of his protesting, but I believe teams use personal reasons to avoid players. If he was good enough to overlook his protesting, I don't doubt he'd still be on a team. My stance is that he's overrated and hasn't produced a season worthy of praise. He had a couple decent seasons. However, like how you contribute some of their failures to their defense, I contribute some of their success to the defense.

Defensive rankings:
2012--3rd
2013--5th
2014--10th
2015--29th
2016--32nd

I think this hurts your stance. They were only good when their defense was good. Kaep was just good enough to take advantage of that, but he wasn't good enough to overcome it.

The reason the NFL settled is so their dirty laundry wasn't aired out. They probably would have won the case. The cost of silence from Kap and Reid would definitely cost a significant amount of money.   

Kind of lazy to ignore the total talent and coaching drop off from 2012 to 2016. Not many QBs would have made those 49ers teams good in 2015/2016, even still he looked like a starting caliber QB in 2016 , despite nothing around him

(02-18-2019, 02:09 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

(Emphasis added)

What does any of this matter if HE turned down multiple offers in the NFL and the new AAF? He wasn't interested in playing again no matter what his agent was throwing out there. This was a target of opportunity and money grab.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 11:32 AM by JackCity.)

(02-20-2019, 11:02 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

What does any of this matter if HE turned down multiple offers in the NFL and the new AAF? He wasn't interested in playing again no matter what his agent was throwing out there. This was a target of opportunity and money grab.

1) He didn't turn down offers in the NFL after the protest 
2) The AAF asked if he was interested and declined , the reports of him being offered 20 million were false. All players are paid the same amount. Manziel was asked too and declined, no big contract offer
3) His lawsuit vs the NFL was always specifically about the loss of earnings he suffered. Settlement was always the desired outcome as he was never going to win the case outright.

I don't mind not liking Kap as QB or even a person for that matter, but people aren't fond of using actual facts to critique him.

(02-20-2019, 06:49 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 02:35 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: No, admittedly I don't know what's required for collusion cases, but I also wouldn't assume his case would justify an estimated $60M settlement. A number, if true, is likely significantly less than what he asked. I don't pretend to know if his case is text book collusion, but that's also partly why I said I don't understand why it was allowed to continued. Similarly, I'd ask if you know (and how you know) if his case is one of collusion. It's difficult to understand your first and second points since I don't know of any other instances in sports where collusion was cited. 

Defensive rankings:
2012--3rd
2013--5th
2014--10th
2015--29th
2016--32nd

The reason the NFL settled is so their dirty laundry wasn't aired out. They probably would have won the case. The cost of silence from Kap and Reid would definitely cost a significant amount of money.   

Kind of lazy to ignore the total talent and coaching drop off from 2012 to 2016. Not many QBs would have made those 49ers teams good in 2015/2016, even still he looked like a starting caliber QB in 2016 , despite nothing around him

Do you give Bortles the same pass? We could say the same thing about him and our offense. 

I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying he isn't good enough to ignore the drama he's going to bring with him.

(02-20-2019, 11:29 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:02 AM)B2hibry Wrote: What does any of this matter if HE turned down multiple offers in the NFL and the new AAF? He wasn't interested in playing again no matter what his agent was throwing out there. This was a target of opportunity and money grab.

2) The AAF asked if he was interested and declined , the reports of him being offered 20 million were false. All players are paid the same amount. Manziel was asked too and declined,  no big contract offer
3) His lawsuit vs the NFL was always specifically about the loss of earnings he suffered. Settlement was always the desired outcome as he was never going to win the case outright.

I don't mind not liking Kap as QB or even a person for that matter, but people aren't fond of using actual facts to critique him.
1.) Pretty sure I didn't state after protest, nor before for that matter. This is about his desire to play, which he had none. In any case, he turned down Broncos offer a few months before and opted out of his restructured 49ers contract two months after. Sounds like he turned down an offer to me.
2.) Yeah and Tebow as well. Point being, he turned down another offer to play football. Nobody claimed he was offered $20M. Not that it matters it was actually a fools request by Kaep. He knew he wasn't getting that because incomes are standardized. Didn't want to play.
3.) I agree, he was not going to win. He turned down offers and opted out of contracts. His lack of desire to play, anywhere, lead to loss of earnings.

Seems you tried to morph this into an arguement that wasn't there.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(02-20-2019, 01:42 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:29 AM)JackCity Wrote: 1) He didn't turn down offers in the NFL after the protest 
2) The AAF asked if he was interested and declined , the reports of him being offered 20 million were false. All players are paid the same amount. Manziel was asked too and declined,  no big contract offer

1.) Pretty sure I didn't state after protest, nor before for that matter. This is about his desire to play, which he had none. In any case, he turned down Broncos offer a few months before and opted out of his restructured 49ers contract two months after. Sounds like he turned down an offer to me.
2.) Yeah and Tebow as well. Point being, he turned down another offer to play football. Nobody claimed he was offered $20M. Not that it matters it was actually a fools request by Kaep. He knew he wasn't getting that because incomes are standardized. Didn't want to play.
3.) I agree, he was not going to win. He turned down offers and opted out of contracts. His lack of desire to play, anywhere, lead to loss of earnings.

Seems you tried to morph this into an arguement that wasn't there.

He opted out of the 49ers contract because he was going to be cut anyway, an important detail you forgot there. He didn't wanna be traded to the Broncos and take a massive contract , that doesn't mean you don't want to play. at the time his NFL career was very much alive and well. That narrative doesn't hold up under scrutiny.

Playing in the AAF serves literally no purpose for him. NFL teams knows what he can do, they already know he's better than a lot of the backups in the league at very worst. Risking injury in a lowly league millions and millions less than what your worth is not what any agent would advise their players unless they absolutely needed to do it. The AAF would have made off like bandits from his merch/ad deals and Kap wouldn't have gotten a scrap.  

Yeah no him opting out of the deal he was gonna be cut from is not why he'd have lost the case, nor would it be not wanting to take a massive paycut for the Broncos. He was handsomely paid off by the NFL so none of the sour details Kaps team dug up about the NFL. The NFL took an L on this one

(02-20-2019, 01:34 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 06:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: The reason the NFL settled is so their dirty laundry wasn't aired out. They probably would have won the case. The cost of silence from Kap and Reid would definitely cost a significant amount of money.   

Do you give Bortles the same pass? We could say the same thing about him and our offense. 

I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying he isn't good enough to ignore the drama he's going to bring with him.

huh,Bortles has looked like a bottom 5 QB in 3 different seasons, Kap has looked like a starter in all but one, even when he didn't have anything around him in 2016. That isn't comparable.

(02-15-2019, 03:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This case should have been tossed out once it was made public that John Elway and the Denver Broncos were willing to sign him up for a reasonable deal. He's lost a lot of credibility at this point. He was offered a two year deal worth $7M. That was fair considering how awful his last season was as a 49ER.

Legally, that is not correct.  Collusion does not have to include all 32 teams.  The fact that collusion goes against the terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, one would only have to provide evidence that certain owners colluded.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-20-2019, 02:35 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [quote pid='1194168' dateline='1550513348']
Bullseye
(Emphasis added)

Defensive rankings:
2012--3rd
2013--5th
2014--10th
2015--29th
2016--32nd

[/quote]
(Emphasis added)

I will not go into the case law regarding collusion, other than to say there were plenty of collusion cases in the major league baseball context. I would also add Kaepernick's attorney is a long time and famous attorney.  I'm betting he researched the proper cause9s) of action before filing suit.

As to the portion in bold, I would like to point out a few things:

1.  Alex Smith had the same defense and still couldn't reach the Super Bowl.  Kaepernick did reach the Super bowl with the same team.  Admittedly, I haveb't taken an inventory (physical or mental) of your posts, nor have I utilized the search feature, but I do not recall any decrees from you lamenting the overrated status of Alex Smith.

2.  During his last season with the 49ers, Kaepernick had a 16-4 TD-INT ratio.  How can he be blamed for the failure of the defense?  How can he be blamed for Gabbert's failures?  Gabbert started ten (10) fewer games and threw two more INTs than Kaepernick. I think the premise that Kaep was only good when the defense was good is false.

On a related note, how much is a QB supposed to overcome?  If you have a star caliber QB and the rest of the team stinks, should the star QB take the blame if the team does not have a winning record?  Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan have made pro Bowls and Super Bowls, but both finished with losing records this past season.  Does this mean they are no longer good QBs?

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 04:01 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-20-2019, 11:02 AM)B2hibry Wrote:

Were he not interested in playing again, why would he not have filed retirement papers to the NFL?  Why would his lawyer now emphatically say Kaepernick is still interested in playing?

His refusal to play in the AAF is hardly persuasive here, since it is a brand new league on dubious financial footing.  The Orlando team is practicing in Georgia because of the Worker's Comp laws.

Furthermore, Why was there opportunity?  What distinguishes Kaepernick from a training camp cut if there were zero basis for his claim?

(02-20-2019, 11:29 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 11:02 AM)B2hibry Wrote: What does any of this matter if HE turned down multiple offers in the NFL and the new AAF? He wasn't interested in playing again no matter what his agent was throwing out there. This was a target of opportunity and money grab.

For the recrod, he wasn't offered $20 million to play in the AAF.  He asked for $20 million to play in the AAF, knowing they likely couldn't pay it.

He wants to play in the NFL because he is good enough and it is the most stable league around.

(02-20-2019, 01:34 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 06:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: The reason the NFL settled is so their dirty laundry wasn't aired out. They probably would have won the case. The cost of silence from Kap and Reid would definitely cost a significant amount of money.   

I gave Bortles and Leftwich the same pass.

QBs need surrounding talent to succeed.

(02-20-2019, 03:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Were he not interested in playing again, why would he not have filed retirement papers to the NFL?  Why would his lawyer now emphatically say Kaepernick is still interested in playing?

His refusal to play in the AAF is hardly persuasive here, since it is a brand new league on dubious financial footing.  The Orlando team is practicing in Georgia because of the Worker's Comp laws.

Furthermore, Why was there opportunity?  What distinguishes Kaepernick from a training camp cut if there were zero basis for his claim?

(02-20-2019, 11:29 AM)JackCity Wrote: 1) He didn't turn down offers in the NFL after the protest 

For the recrod, he wasn't offered $20 million to play in the AAF.  He asked for $20 million to play in the AAF, knowing they likely couldn't pay it.

He wants to play in the NFL because he is good enough and it is the most stable league around.

(02-20-2019, 01:34 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Do you give Bortles the same pass? We could say the same thing about him and our offense. 

Turns out he didn't even ask for money, he just declined playing. Pretty suspicious that the fake news all dropped prior to his settlement with the NFL

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-20-2019, 04:14 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 03:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Were he not interested in playing again, why would he not have filed retirement papers to the NFL?  Why would his lawyer now emphatically say Kaepernick is still interested in playing?

Turns out he didn't even ask for money, he just declined playing. Pretty suspicious that the fake news all dropped prior to his settlement with the NFL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...96719d7bcf

https://sports.yahoo.com/aafs-reported-p...02190.html

Whether he actually demanded the $20 million or not, he was certainly good enough to be on an NFL roster the past couple of years.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-20-2019, 02:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 01:34 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Do you give Bortles the same pass? We could say the same thing about him and our offense. 

huh,Bortles has looked like a bottom 5 QB in 3 different seasons, Kap has looked like a starter in all but one, even when he didn't have anything around him in 2016. That isn't comparable.

Lol, sure is funny all the love you have for Kap but talked trash about the guy that is better and got blackballed from the league just like Kap did..  Hmmmmm.   Everything you hated about Tebow Kap was pretty much the same just not as good.  Kind of ironic Undecided

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp...story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf.../94963964/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/04/49ers-...ne-gabbert