Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick and the NFL reach settlement

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 03:48 PM by The Drifter.)

Colin Kaepernick and the NFL reach settlement

The case is officially over. 

After a drawn-out process that lasted nearly two years, Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid's collusion case against the NFL has officially come to an end. Friday afternoon, his lawyer, Mark Geragos, and the NFL both put out a statement saying that the matter had officially been resolved. Terms of the agreements were not revealed, and they will not see the light of day due to the confidentiality agreement.

https://247sports.com/nfl/jacksonville-j...sJuX32-rUg
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kaep gettin paid big money from the NFL to go away and big money from Nike to be loud and proud.

Interesting dichotomy. I wonder if this will have any effect on his work for Nike.

This case should have been tossed out once it was made public that John Elway and the Denver Broncos were willing to sign him up for a reasonable deal. He's lost a lot of credibility at this point. He was offered a two year deal worth $7M. That was fair considering how awful his last season was as a 49ER.

After the news came out yesterday that he wanted $20M to play in the AAF? He's coming off as just flat out greedy to me. Which doesn't help his cause that much. He was a pretty exciting player for a brief moment in time. Other than that. Not much to really look at statistically.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-15-2019, 03:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This case should have been tossed out once it was made public that John Elway and the Denver Broncos were willing to sign him up for a reasonable deal. He's lost a lot of credibility at this point. He was offered a two year deal worth $7M. That was fair considering how awful his last season was as a 49ER.

After the news came out yesterday that he wanted $20M to play in the AAF? He's coming off as just flat out greedy to me. Which doesn't help his cause that much. He was a pretty exciting player for a brief moment in time. Other than that. Not much to really look at statistically.

1) The contract Elway offered Kap was via a trade with the 49ers BEFORE he started protesting and was a massive pay cut. Nobody in their right mind would have agreed to that.  

2) First off there's zero proof of that actually being what he demanded and secondly even if he did, why in gods name should Kap accept to play for 70k a week? He'd easily be the biggest star and would move mountains of merch + sells ads. Would have made zero sense for him to join the league.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 04:17 PM by Caldrac.)

(02-15-2019, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 03:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This case should have been tossed out once it was made public that John Elway and the Denver Broncos were willing to sign him up for a reasonable deal. He's lost a lot of credibility at this point. He was offered a two year deal worth $7M. That was fair considering how awful his last season was as a 49ER.

1) The contract Elway offered Kap was via a trade with the 49ers BEFORE he started protesting and was a massive pay cut. Nobody in their right mind would have agreed to that.  

2) First off there's zero proof of that actually being what he demanded and secondly even if he did, why in gods name should Kap accept to play for 70k a week? He'd easily be the biggest star and would move mountains of merch + sells ads. Would have made zero sense for him to join the league.

1. Either you want to play football or you don't. Why should the Bronco's pay for the mistake the 49ERS made with the contract they signed him up for? Once Harbaugh left and that defense lost it's leadership the wheels came off. He was unable to keep that franchise afloat and he was pretty much exposed. 

2. It was just reported yesterday. Calm your [BLEEP] mate.... again, my whole point is that he's been screaming that he wants to still play football. He's had a few opportunities to do so. He's also made a nice little nest from all of the advertisement and endorsement deals.

So, which is it? Does he really care about the game of football or was it all about the money? Practice what you preach.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 04:33 PM by JackCity.)

(02-15-2019, 04:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: 1) The contract Elway offered Kap was via a trade with the 49ers BEFORE he started protesting and was a massive pay cut. Nobody in their right mind would have agreed to that.  

1. Either you want to play football or you don't. Why should the Bronco's pay for the mistake the 49ERS made with the contract they signed him up for? Once Harbaugh left and that defense lost it's leadership the wheels came off. He was unable to keep that franchise afloat and he was pretty much exposed. 

2. It was just reported yesterday. Calm your [BLEEP] mate.... again, my whole point is that he's been screaming that he wants to still play football. He's had a few opportunities to do so. He's also made a nice little nest from all of the advertisement and endorsement deals.

So, which is it? Does he really care about the game of football or was it all about the money? Practice what you preach.

You don't understand. Why would a QB who's good enough to start take a massive pay cut to play somewhere he might not want to go? That's not how things work in the NFL , he was perfectly entitled to reject that (and again, this was before the protesting). At that point in time he wasn't without a team and wasn't being blackballed so doesn't actually fit into your argument at all.

It was reported yesterday (conveniently before today's release) but wasn't actually confirmed by anyone relevant to the situation. Playing in a development league for cheap serves his career zero purpose when he's being blackballed by the NFL. He has had zero opportunities to play in the NFL since it all kicked off. There's a reason the NFL will have paid massive amounts to keep their dirty laundry from being put out in the open..

He still wants to play in the NFL, he's not gonna go play in some semi pro league in Italy just for the sake of it.

(02-15-2019, 04:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Either you want to play football or you don't. Why should the Bronco's pay for the mistake the 49ERS made with the contract they signed him up for? Once Harbaugh left and that defense lost it's leadership the wheels came off. He was unable to keep that franchise afloat and he was pretty much exposed. 

You don't understand. Why would a QB who's good enough to start take a massive pay cut to play somewhere he might not want to go? That's not how things work in the NFL , he was perfectly entitled to reject that (and again, this was before the protesting). At that point in time he wasn't without a team and wasn't being blackballed so doesn't actually fit into your argument at all.

It was reported yesterday (conveniently before today's release) but wasn't actually confirmed by anyone relevant to the situation. Playing in a development league for cheap serves his career zero purpose when he's being blackballed by the NFL. He has had zero opportunities to play in the NFL since it all kicked off. There's a reason the NFL will have paid massive amounts to keep their dirty laundry from being put out in the open..

He still wants to play in the NFL, he's not gonna go play in some semi pro league in Italy just for the sake of it.

Problem with that is he doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He doesn't have what it takes between the ears to translate his quick release and shifty movements into competent QB play.

(02-15-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: You don't understand. Why would a QB who's good enough to start take a massive pay cut to play somewhere he might not want to go? That's not how things work in the NFL , he was perfectly entitled to reject that (and again, this was before the protesting). At that point in time he wasn't without a team and wasn't being blackballed so doesn't actually fit into your argument at all.

Problem with that is he doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He doesn't have what it takes between the ears to translate his quick release and shifty movements into competent QB play.

You are aware Chad Henne and numerous other worse QBs are in the NFL right now

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 04:48 PM by Caldrac.)

(02-15-2019, 04:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Either you want to play football or you don't. Why should the Bronco's pay for the mistake the 49ERS made with the contract they signed him up for? Once Harbaugh left and that defense lost it's leadership the wheels came off. He was unable to keep that franchise afloat and he was pretty much exposed. 

"You don't understand". LMAO. What is there to understand Jack? Actions speak a whole hell of lot louder than words. 

Where is the evidence to suggest he was good enough to start? At least at his asking price or current going rate at that time? He had fallen to a 3 - 16 starter after Harbaugh was ran out of town. His completion percentage, big plays and overall ability swan dived after 2014.

He was maybe good enough to start for two or three teams at the time. And that's not saying much in the NFL. And chances are, the teams he could start for (i.e our team and Cleveland) probably wouldn't have enough talent overall to mask his weaknesses.

"That's not how things work in the NFL". Oh, so, you're an expert now? Riiiiiiight. Got it mate. Got it....

Again, back to the whole AAF thing, it was just reported yesterday. So, you got me on that one. But other than that? Why do you have such a hard on for the guy? He had fallen off tremendously after 2014 as a quality starting QB. Denver gave him a chance to resurrect himself AND they were willing to take a stand WITH him and all of the media circus BS he was fixing to bring along with him. 

So.. cry me a [BLEEP] river man that would make Italy's city of Venice blush with envy. 

Jesus...

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM by JackCity.)

(02-15-2019, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: You don't understand. Why would a QB who's good enough to start take a massive pay cut to play somewhere he might not want to go? That's not how things work in the NFL , he was perfectly entitled to reject that (and again, this was before the protesting). At that point in time he wasn't without a team and wasn't being blackballed so doesn't actually fit into your argument at all.

"You don't understand". LMAO. What is there to understand Jack? Actions speak a whole hell of lot louder than words. 

Where is the evidence to suggest he was good enough to start? At least at his asking price or current going rate at that time? He had fallen to a 3 - 16 starter after Harbaugh was ran out of town. His completion percentage, big plays and overall ability swan dived after 2014.

He was maybe good enough to start for two or three teams at the time. And that's not saying much in the NFL. And chances are, the teams he could start for (i.e our team and Cleveland) probably wouldn't have enough talent overall to mask his weaknesses.

"That's not how things work in the NFL". Oh, so, you're an expert now? Riiiiiiight. Got it mate. Got it....

Again, back to the whole AAF thing, it was just reported yesterday. So, you got me on that one. But other than that? Why do you have such a hard on for the guy? He had fallen off tremendously after 2014 as a quality starting QB. Denver gave him a chance to resurrect himself AND they were willing to take a stand WITH him and all of the media circus BS he was fixing to bring along with him. 

So.. cry me a [BLEEP] river man that would make Italy's city of Venice blush with envy. 

Jesus...

You thought he was offered a contract by Elway post protest which would disprove his blackballing case..that was wildly incorrect so I said you don't understand the situation.   

Don't confuse "good enough to start" with some reverence of skill. We see terrible QBs start every year and we see terrible QBs stay as backups every year. That's pretty much the entire crux of the Kap issue, that even if you don't rare him highly, it's still pretty clear he's good enough to make a roster. 

Yeah that is how things work. QBs don't generally take massive paycuts in trades to other teams they might not wanna go to.  

Again, Denver offered the trade prior to the protests, not after them.

(02-15-2019, 04:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Problem with that is he doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He doesn't have what it takes between the ears to translate his quick release and shifty movements into competent QB play.

You are aware Chad Henne and numerous other worse QBs are in the NFL right now

(02-15-2019, 05:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:47 PM)Caldrac Wrote: "You don't understand". LMAO. What is there to understand Jack? Actions speak a whole hell of lot louder than words. 

Jesus...

You thought he was offered a contract by Elway post protest which would disprove his blackballing case..that was wildly incorrect so I said you don't understand the situation.   

Don't confuse "good enough to start" with some reverence of skill. We see terrible QBs start every year and we see terrible QBs stay as backups every year. That's pretty much the entire crux of the Kap issue, that even if you don't rare him highly, it's still pretty clear he's good enough to make a roster. 

Yeah that is how things work. QBs don't generally take massive paycuts in trades to other teams they might not wanna go to.  

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5712974]

It all comes down to him not getting an opportunity awarded to QBs with equal or lesser talent.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

This.

Or when the Ravens brought him in and were ready to sign him. Then he refuses to renounce his girlfriend tweeting out that the owner Steve Biscotti is a white supremacist and Ray Lewis is an uncle tom along with a picture from "Django Unchained" of a slave and their master. Saying this to the first owner to hire a black GM (Ozzie Newsome) and Ray Lewis who has done a tremendous amount of things for the black community. 

After tannehill tore his acl, he couldve gone to miami (his childhood favorite team actually) but when half of the population is cuban who fled from the socialist regime ... you kinda can't alienate them by signing a man that publicly praised Fidel Castro and stated that he is a far better leader that has done more for education and cubans etc. than anyone in the US. I'm sorry but you shot yourself in the foot on both of those occasions. also he had a player option to come back to the niners in 2017 for 10$ million+ fully guaranteed, he opted out thinking he was worth more and then passed on Elway's offer saying it wasnt lucrative enough... you did it to yourself.

On top of it all. He's never had a season with 3,500 yards passing, topped 20 passing TD's ONCE, has a career completion % of under 60%, and as a scrambling QB has topped 500 yards rushing TWICE. On top of all that in 2016 he was 1-10 as a starter after regaining his starting gig from blaine gabbert (also noteworthy is that he only started kneeling after he lost his starting job to Blaine prior to the 2016 season). Like you put up those less than pedestrian stats with the best oline in the nfl at the time. Vernon Davis & Delanie Walker in their primes at TE, Crabtree and Anquan Boldin at WR, and Frank Gore who is a top 5 rb all time in terms of production. With literally every piece of talent around you THIS is the production you generate?!?!? My god Bortles has more impressive numbers than this with far less talent around him. Lets not kid ourselves, Kaepernick is objectively an awful quarterback.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The questions that this raises are such:

Would some team likely have hired Kaep as a back-up at the least were he not in the midst of controversy?
(probably)

Did more than one team/owner (or the league in total) collude with one another to essentially blackball the player?
(hard to know for sure)

Do you see the payment from the NFL to Kaep in this settlement as some form of an admission of guilt to the above?
(tough one!)

(02-15-2019, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: You are aware Chad Henne and numerous other worse QBs are in the NFL right now

(02-15-2019, 05:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: You thought he was offered a contract by Elway post protest which would disprove his blackballing case..that was wildly incorrect so I said you don't understand the situation.   

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5712974]

Agreed. You did lose that one pretty badly. Not knowing when Elway even talked to Kap about the contract kinda ruined a couple of your points.

(02-15-2019, 07:30 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5712974]

Agreed. You did lose that one pretty badly. Not knowing when Elway even talked to Kap about the contract kinda ruined a couple of your points.

Not really. He had an opportunity or two to start again. He [BLEEP] on them. Still don't see your point. Go have another "tea and digestive biscuit". Silly nanny....

(02-15-2019, 05:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The questions that this raises are such:

Would some team likely have hired Kaep as a back-up at the least were he not in the midst of controversy?
(probably)

Did more than one team/owner (or the league in total) collude with one another to essentially blackball the player?
(hard to know for sure)

Do you see the payment from the NFL to Kaep in this settlement as some form of an admission of guilt to the above?
(tough one!)

The NFL has never really been pegged as the Gold Standard or most Ethical entertainment brand in the world. That's why it's mind numbing at times. I don't agree nor disagree with some of the things Colin has done. I see both sides of the argument. He technically protested silently. And the media took it and ran with it. As they always do. When it bleeds it leads. They eat this type of [BLEEP] up with every chance they get. Waiting like a stalking butler. Whether true or false. 

But it's hard not to see where a lot of people in Colin's corner (sometimes myself included, not always) are coming from. You can't punish or condemn a man for trying to spark an honest conversation in our Country. Did the way he go about it make sense to most people? Yes... and no. It's about 50/50. Wellllll.... maybe more like 70/30. If we're being honest. 

But it's troubling when he's "jobless" and you see guys like Kareem Hunt get another chance. You see guys like Ben Roethilsberger get a second chance. Michael Vick paid a heavy price, and rightfully so, but he too, earned a second chance. Greg Hardy, etc. etc. etc. 

I really hope this AAF and XFL stuff works out for the long haul. I can't stomach that much more hypocrisy from the NFL.

Nate Peterman is still in the NFL.....

Kaep is better than a lot of backups BUT the public outcry that will happen if a team signs him is greater than his skill level. If Tom Brady had kneeled, you better believe he would still be playing.

(02-15-2019, 08:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Nate Peterman is still in the NFL.....

Kaep is better than a lot of backups BUT the public outcry that will happen if a team signs him is greater than his skill level. If Tom Brady had kneeled, you better believe he would still be playing.
He would still be playing if he wanted to play football. He probably wouldn't be starting, but he could be on a roster or in the CFL, AAF, showing that he can be a NFL QB.

He can make more money outside of the NFL claiming that they kicked me out of the league than he can playing. He loses his rep if he is sitting on the bench or going 1-10 again.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Good for Kap.
No Fun