Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN Ticker - Jaguars Expected to Sign Foles

ESPN Ticker this morning

* Jaguars to pursue Foles and is expected to sign him barring any major breakdowns
* Jaguars expected to release Bortls
* Teams cannot negotiate with Free Agents until March 11
* Teams cannot sign Free Agents until March 13

ESPN just broke in with a teaser:  "Breaking - Foles expected to go to a much more warmer climate next season."

Hot topic this morning -- Steve Young now talking about the perfect fit

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Photo  (This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

So what is the cap hit on Bortles and who loses their job for extending him?

As long as they've got the salary cap figured out, I don't care what the price tag is. It's not my money.

(03-04-2019, 09:08 AM)rfc17 Wrote: As long as they've got the salary cap figured out, I don't care what the price tag is.  It's not my money.
I mean... who cares if it’s not your money?

You can still have an opinion about the move.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:41 AM by B2hibry.)

I want to be excited but high priced FAs hardly ever work out. If the jags can pair this with one of the top 4 QB draft prospects, hell yeah! Maybe get Kessler to drive the moving truck for Bortles. In any case, with all the moving pieces and money issues, I’m skeptical about this “news.”
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:27 AM by RicoTx.)

(03-04-2019, 09:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I want to be excited but high priced FAs hardly ever work out. If the jacks can pair this with one of the top 4 QB draft prospects, hell yeah! Maybe get Kessler to drive the moving truck for Bortles. In any case, with all the moving pieces and money issues,  I’m skeptical about this “news.”

Especially quarterbacks.  There are a few, like Brees, but almost every championship team has a home-grown quarterback.  Even Brees took three years to get them to the Super Bowl and Foles is nowhere close to his talent level.  I'm stuck rooting for it but I definitely don't like it.  I praying that he proves me wrong.

This seems like a Coughlin move to me.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

There are a lot of extremely talented college players who will be available at pick #7 without having to take another huge gamble on a rookie QB. That's why I like the Foles signing so much. If it happens.

Nick Foles career numbers on 3rd and long :

154/266
57%
2 TDs
9 picks
65 passer rating
5.18 AY/A

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-04-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:22 AM)B2hibry Wrote: I want to be excited but high priced FAs hardly ever work out. If the jacks can pair this with one of the top 4 QB draft prospects, hell yeah! Maybe get Kessler to drive the moving truck for Bortles. In any case, with all the moving pieces and money issues,  I’m skeptical about this “news.”

Especially quarterbacks.  There are a few, like Brees, but almost every championship team has a home-grown quarterback.  Even Brees took three years to get them to the Super Bowl and Foles is nowhere close to his talent level.  I'm stuck rooting for it but I definitely don't like it.  I praying that he proves me wrong.

This is the time of year when fans all seem to think their favorite college QB is the next Tom Brady.   And an alarming number of them bust completely and set their teams back for years.  

Foles is a competent QB who has been Super Bowl MVP.   Is Foles better than Bortles?  Obviously.  Maybe much better.   We've been needing a competent QB for years now.   Here he is.  

This saves our first round pick for other positions of need.

Athletes First represents Ramsey and Foles. Not sure if that lets them avoid a tampering charge. It may have to be that they at least delay signing any contract to just allay suspicions.

(03-04-2019, 09:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are a lot of extremely talented college players who will be available at pick #7 without having to take another huge gamble on a rookie QB.   That's why I like the Foles signing so much.   If it happens.

I don't see any offensive player other than Haskins, being worthy of the #7 pick. I'm hoping we can trade down into the #11 to #15 spot and add the best OG/OT in the draft, Cody Ford. He'd fit perfectly at RG.

(03-04-2019, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 08:23 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: The more I think about this, the more it sounds like 99 all over.

Shaping up pretty nicely and not a better way to start the new nfl season.  Looks like we will win the offseason again

So you’re ok with the franchise going “dark” again for one-two seasons of going all in with our chips at the table? If foles gets 20 mil, the only way it will work is we do what we did in 99, and that’s restructure “creatively” and the bill comes due later. All fine and dandy if we win the Super Bowl but that’s a big if.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019, 09:55 AM by B2hibry.)

(03-04-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote:

It does feel that way. In fact, the last two years feels just like the period before Tom got run out. They appear to be entering desperation mode or the More popular term, “win now mode”. We’ve beat the Foles talent level discussion into the dirt on other threads but unless Foles comes at a bargain the risk / reward troubles me. We just don’t have the ‘O’ Phili has.

(03-04-2019, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote: Especially quarterbacks.  There are a few, like Brees, but almost every championship team has a home-grown quarterback.  Even Brees took three years to get them to the Super Bowl and Foles is nowhere close to his talent level.  I'm stuck rooting for it but I definitely don't like it.  I praying that he proves me wrong.

This is the time of year when fans all seem to think their favorite college QB is the next Tom Brady.   And an alarming number of them bust completely and set their teams back for years.  

Foles is a competent QB who has been Super Bowl MVP.   Is Foles better than Bortles?  Obviously.  Maybe much better.   We've been needing a competent QB for years now.   Here he is.  

Slightly better and I don’t think you give up drafting a QB because you signed a FA. Really,  who or what position are you drafting at 7 that has more draft oomph than QB? Guard or TE? Not positive but that would be atypical and nearly historical to draft those that high.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-04-2019, 09:27 AM)Rico Wrote: Especially quarterbacks.  There are a few, like Brees, but almost every championship team has a home-grown quarterback.  Even Brees took three years to get them to the Super Bowl and Foles is nowhere close to his talent level.  I'm stuck rooting for it but I definitely don't like it.  I praying that he proves me wrong.

Soooo never draft a QB?

The Jags need consistency at the QB position and the best way to get that is to draft a young one. Foles will be here for what... 2 years? Then it’s back to the drawing board.

If they still draft Haskins, I’m cool with it. But if they go into the season with Foles and a 3rd or 4th round rookie, this will be a disaster.

I don't want a competent QB.  I want a starter for years to come, and the only way you're going to get that is by drafting him.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Lol, I wonder where Foles is going this year

Had the end of last season played out the slightest bit differently (i.e. Giants hold on to beat the Cowboys), it probably would have made sense to pass on Foles since Haskins likely would have been available to take without "giving up the farm." Since that didn't come to pass, I can't blame them for going this route. The Jaguars were one bad call away from going to the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago due to their defense and run game. Foles is the safe pick to get them back to where they were, especially next season.

(03-04-2019, 10:07 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This is the time of year when fans all seem to think their favorite college QB is the next Tom Brady.   And an alarming number of them bust completely and set their teams back for years.  

Had the end of last season played out the slightest bit differently (i.e. Giants hold on to beat the Cowboys), it probably would have made sense to pass on Foles since Haskins likely would have been available to take without "giving up the farm." Since that didn't come to pass, I can't blame them for going this route. The Jaguars were one bad call away from going to the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago due to their defense and run game. Foles is the safe pick to get them back to where they were, especially next season.
2 seasons ago when the AFC South was a joke and they played backup QBs all season.

Foles will be the 3rd best QB on the division and the Jags the 3rd best team.

I mean, it's not like we haven't been hearing this talk for how many weeks now? Not surprising.

I'm sure Caldwell would rather not bet the farm on another rookie QB, which bit him in the [BLEEP] last time. They still need to draft a successor to Foles if this is true, because Foles either does well here, and becomes a mentor to an eventual starting QB, or he fails miserably, and the team has a backup option.

I don't know about this one. I know we're desperate for a QB. But all of the surrounding pieces he'll have here offensively will pale in comparison to the talent he was surrounded with in Philadelphia. I just hope they don't break the bank for this guy and ultimately sacrifice our future on defense with having very little wiggle room to resign players like Jalen, Yannick and Myles. That will be the pisser in all of this.

At the same time. This allows the brass in the front office to mostly focus on adding talent around Foles early and often in the draft next month. All of a sudden now D.K Metcalf at 7th overall looks ideal. Maybe landing one of those TE's out of Iowa on day two happens. Then they still have a paid of 3's to work with to either add more offensive lineman or move up to get someone they really coveted after the combine and pro day process.

We'll see. I'll remain optimistic for now. No choice really. LOL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."