Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you do at QB
Go for broke for Haskins?
Go for broke for Foles?
Sign cheap FA and let the chips fall where they may in the draft?
[Show Results]

Haskins or Foles

(03-04-2019, 10:25 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Outside of 2013 has Foles actually played better than bortles in the regular season?  Must be marginal at best.

Wish he could bring Ertz with him.
Not Really and while Foles has played as bad or worst the Blake, he did so with much better talent around him so that makes you think with no talent around blake how good would he be with the talent foles had?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I guess I don't see the problem with Foles.

He's been one of the better postseason QBs over the last few years, and he's excelled during most of the opportunities he's been given outside of his time with Jeff Fisher... but who actually excels with Jeff Fisher?

(03-05-2019, 01:27 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I guess I don't see the problem with Foles.

He's been one of the better postseason QBs over the last few years, and he's excelled during most of the opportunities he's been given outside of his time with Jeff Fisher... but who actually excels with Jeff Fisher?

McNair?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-05-2019, 02:22 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 01:27 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I guess I don't see the problem with Foles.

McNair?

Correct.  I would consider him an aberration, though.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2019, 02:59 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-05-2019, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 02:22 PM)Rico Wrote: McNair?

Correct.  I would consider him an aberration, though.

I would say he got an awful lot out of Vince Young as well, who was not a good QB.  And you could include an over-the-hill Kerry Collins in 2008.

(03-05-2019, 02:58 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 02:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Correct.  I would consider him an aberration, though.

I would say he got an awful lot out of Vince Young as well, who was not a good QB.  And you could include an over-the-hill Kerry Collins in 2008.

So sad how much those teams have feasted on our franchise.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I think I'm fully in the Foles camp side now. We don't have time to wait for a rookie QB to develop as our defense ages more and more ans passes its prime. The time is now.

Doing some research, Foles has pretty damn good career stats and was a pro bowler in 2013 - never knew that!?

Including playoffs, Foles career Td/Int stats are 80-38. That is pretty damn good. I think I'm totally sold now on signing the Folinator.

I've been on the fence but his career stats are selling me big time. He was only really bad under Jeff Fisher. During his short playing time in KC he threw for 410 yds, 3 TDs and zero Ints.

This guy looks like a MASSIVE upgrade over Bortles and we have the same QB coach now that he had during the SB run. I also think we might be able to get him for less $ than originally thought since the market doesn't seem to be very large outside of Jags. Not to mention he's gotta realize this team is an instant competitor with an upgrade to QB.

Let's do it! Foles Rolls!

The Jags shoot themselves in the foot with Foles. I cant believe people actually see a Franchise QB in him, and that is absolutely what the Jags need. If you need a QB and you need to decide between average veteran (potential instant upgrade, yes) or potential Franchise QB, you always go for the latter. You always take the risk and you go for the best possible outcome. You dont game manage by getting something slightly better than what you have but not a Superstar. You take chances, you go for the upside. We took the safe option and stuck with Bortles, heck we even played it safe in the AFCCG. Playing it safe doesnt get you to the top in the NFL.
I read that people think we dont have time to develop a young QB, but they dont understand that with Foles we have no cap to maneuver in the next, what? 4 years if we sign him?! Id rather take a rookie contract and try 2 young QBs than overpay a 30yo career backup with no upside and no proven success outside Reid Offense. We dont have near the playmakers the Eagles did in 2017, Foles will look like crap here.
If we eliminate the 3 game SB run by Foles, what is left? A good Backup QB who had his best season 6!!! years ago and looked terrible as a starter in KC.

If he was available for Backup Money, okay, but this guy is probably gonna cost us more than 20 Mil a year. Get a young guy and some young receivers and try to build an offense rather than cashing in on Nick Foles... Nick FOLES?!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 02:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-06-2019, 01:01 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I think I'm fully in the Foles camp side now. We don't have time to wait for a rookie QB to develop as our defense ages more and more ans passes its prime. The time is now.

Doing some research, Foles has pretty damn good career stats and was a pro bowler in 2013 - never knew that!?

Including playoffs, Foles career Td/Int stats are 80-38. That is pretty damn good. I think I'm totally sold now on signing the Folinator.

I've been on the fence but his career stats are selling me big time. He was only really bad under Jeff Fisher. During his short playing time in KC he threw for 410 yds, 3 TDs and zero Ints.

This guy looks like a MASSIVE upgrade over Bortles and we have the same QB coach now that he had during the SB run. I also think we might be able to get him for less $ than originally thought since the market doesn't seem to be very large outside of Jags. Not to mention he's gotta realize this team is an instant competitor with an upgrade to QB.

Let's do it! Foles Rolls!

Not only did Foles make the Pro Bowl that year but he was the Pro Bowl MVP

How many players have been Pro Bowl MVP and SB MVP? Not very many I'm sure

(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: The Jags shoot themselves in the foot with Foles. I cant believe people actually see a Franchise QB in him, and that is absolutely what the Jags need. If you need a QB and you need to decide between average veteran (potential instant upgrade, yes) or potential Franchise QB, you always go for the latter. You always take the risk and you go for the best possible outcome. You dont game manage by getting something slightly better than what you have but not a Superstar. You take chances, you go for the upside. We took the safe option and stuck with Bortles, heck we even played it safe in the AFCCG. Playing it safe doesnt get you to the top in the NFL.
I read that people think we dont have time to develop a young QB, but they dont understand that with Foles we have no cap to maneuver in the next, what? 4 years if we sign him?! Id rather take a rookie contract and try 2 young QBs than overpay a 30yo career backup with no upside and no proven success outside Reid Offense. We dont have near the playmakers the Eagles did in 2017, Foles will look like crap here.
If we eliminate the 3 game SB run by Foles, what is left? A good Backup QB who had his best season 6!!! years ago and looked terrible as a starter in KC.

If he was available for Backup Money, okay, but this guy is probably gonna cost us more than 20 Mil a year. Get a young guy and some young receivers and try to build an offense rather than cashing in on Nick Foles... Nick FOLES?!!!

I don't think you're realizing that our time is now with this talented defense. If we take a rookie QB there is no telling how they will turn out. Rookie and high pick QBs are the most unreliable picks you can make. Way more bust than make it and this yeat is a very weak QB draft class. With an even average an this team is a contender as we saw in 2017 year when bortles played average.

Last year I think it was around 5 losses decided by one possession or score. The difference between a bad (bortles) and average QB last season was literally the difference between 5 wins or 10 wins. With any type of at least avg QB play last season we get 10 wins and maybe make another strong playoff push. 

If we don't play it safe  I think it's about a 70 percent chance the QB we draft busts (historical avg on drafted QBs) and all the defensive talent we have goes to total waste. We are a team built to win now with one missing piece, QB. 

Don't forget that with even avg QB play our defense becomes even that much better as they are on the field less and have more energy to close out games in 4th q and make more game changing plays when on the field. 

With the current sorry draft class of QB available, Foles is the way.

(03-06-2019, 02:24 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 01:27 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: The Jags shoot themselves in the foot with Foles. I cant believe people actually see a Franchise QB in him, and that is absolutely what the Jags need. If you need a QB and you need to decide between average veteran (potential instant upgrade, yes) or potential Franchise QB, you always go for the latter. You always take the risk and you go for the best possible outcome. You dont game manage by getting something slightly better than what you have but not a Superstar. You take chances, you go for the upside. We took the safe option and stuck with Bortles, heck we even played it safe in the AFCCG. Playing it safe doesnt get you to the top in the NFL.

I don't think you're realizing that our time is now with this talented defense. If we take a rookie QB there is no telling how they will turn out. Rookie and high pick QBs are the most unreliable picks you can make. Way more bust than make it and this yeat is a very weak QB draft class. With an even average an this team is a contender as we saw in 2017 year when bortles played average.

Last year I think it was around 5 losses decided by one possession or score. The difference between a bad (bortles) and average QB last season was literally the difference between 5 wins or 10 wins. With any type of at least avg QB play last season we get 10 wins and maybe make another strong playoff push. 

If we don't play it safe  I think it's about a 70 percent chance the QB we draft busts (historical avg on drafted QBs) and all the defensive talent we have goes to total waste. We are a team built to win now with one missing piece, QB. 

Don't forget that with even avg QB play our defense becomes even that much better as they are on the field less and have more energy to close out games in 4th q and make more game changing plays when on the field. 

If you think there's only one missing piece, I'm not sure what team you are watching.

(03-06-2019, 02:24 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:

This has so many bad "hot" takes in it that I don't know where to begin. Let's just use your first sentence.

Believing that the time is "right now" is exactly what you don't want to do. It's how you end up drafting Harvey because you believe you're "1 piece away." It's how you get into the mess that was the off season after 1999. Foles is a band aid fix at the QB position for one or 2 seasons. This team needs a complete overhaul and the best way (most consistent way) to get a long term answer at QB is through the draft. Look at Denver. They "fixed" their QB spot with a band aid (a HOF caliber one) in Manning but then fell off a cliff and have been searching for an answer ever since. Foles is not and isn't even close to a HOF level QB and yet people are treating him as if he was one.

(03-06-2019, 02:55 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 02:24 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I don't think you're realizing that our time is now with this talented defense. If we take a rookie QB there is no telling how they will turn out. Rookie and high pick QBs are the most unreliable picks you can make. Way more bust than make it and this yeat is a very weak QB draft class. With an even average an this team is a contender as we saw in 2017 year when bortles played average.

If you think there's only one missing piece, I'm not sure what team you are watching.

I'm watching the team that went to thr afc championship game season before last and deserved to be in the SB but the refs took that away by blowing the Myles Jack fumble recovery call, but slipped last year due to teams figuring out the over simplified offense we were running to hand hold Bortles and him regressing right back to his usual self..

What team are you watching ?

(03-06-2019, 02:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 02:24 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I don't think you're realizing that our time is now with this talented defense. If we take a rookie QB there is no telling how they will turn out. Rookie and high pick QBs are the most unreliable picks you can make. Way more bust than make it and this yeat is a very weak QB draft class. With an even average an this team is a contender as we saw in 2017 year when bortles played average.

This has so many bad "hot" takes in it that I don't know where to begin. Let's just use your first sentence.

Believing that the time is "right now" is exactly what you don't want to do. It's how you end up drafting Harvey because you believe you're "1 piece away." It's how you get into the mess that was the off season after 1999. Foles is a band aid fix at the QB position for one or 2 seasons. This team needs a complete overhaul and the best way (most consistent way) to get a long term answer at QB is through the draft. Look at Denver. They "fixed" their QB spot with a band aid (a HOF caliber one) in Manning but then fell off a cliff and have been searching for an answer ever since. Foles is not and isn't even close to a HOF level QB and yet people are treating him as if he was one.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you know nothing about football if you think the team needs a "complete overhaul" - mega face palm. 

And you putting words in people's mouths to try to prove your points doesn't make it true, it just makes you look bad. Where did I or anybody say Foles is a HOFer??? And who says you need a HOFer to win a SB? 

6 of the last 10 SBs were won by a HOFer.  Only 10 of the last 20 starting QBs in the last ten SBs were HOFers and 6 of those 10 were Brady. There's alot more required to win SBs than a HOF QB, unless you have Brady and there aren't any of those available unfortunately and drafting for a Brady is the dumbest strategy possible as it probably has similar odds to hitting the lottery.

A serviceable 10-15 ranked QB will do the job just fine with a talented defense, our o line healthy and good running game (heavily related to health o line).

Have you actually watched football before or... ?

(03-06-2019, 03:20 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 02:55 PM)Rico Wrote: If you think there's only one missing piece, I'm not sure what team you are watching.

I'm watching the team that went to thr afc championship game season before last and deserved to be in the SB but the refs took that away by blowing the Myles Jack fumble recovery call, but slipped last year due to teams figuring out the over simplified offense we were running to hand hold Bortles and him regressing right back to his usual self..

(03-06-2019, 02:59 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: This has so many bad "hot" takes in it that I don't know where to begin. Let's just use your first sentence.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you know nothing about football if you think the team needs a "complete overhaul" - mega face palm. 

And you putting words in people's mouths to try to prove your points doesn't make it true, it just makes you look bad. Where did I or anybody say Foles is a HOFer??? And who says you need a HOFer to win a SB? 

6 of the last 10 SBs were won by a HOFer.  Only 10 of the last 20 starting QBs in the last ten SBs were HOFers and 6 of those 10 were Brady. There's alot more required to win SBs than a HOF QB, unless you have Brady and there aren't any of those available unfortunately and drafting for a Brady is the dumbest strategy possible as it probably has similar odds to hitting the lottery.

A serviceable 10-15 ranked QB will do the job just fine with a talented defense, our o line healthy and good running game (heavily related to health o line).

Oh the irony.

This team doesn't need a complete overhaul and I never said that. What I did say was that signing Foles because "the defense is ready now" is a very bad reason to sign him. I brought up Manning as just one example of a FA QB who took his team to the SB. Other than Brees and Manning (who were FAs only because of injury concerns) how many FA QBs have won a SB? If Foles had been the QB all season 2 years ago, do the Eagles even make the playoffs? He was absolutely terrible in 3 of the 6 games he started in 2017. 

My point is that the best way for a team to have consistent and sustained success is with a true franchise QB. And the best way to do that is to draft one. Not to take some other teams leftovers.

(03-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:20 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: I'm watching the team that went to thr afc championship game season before last and deserved to be in the SB but the refs took that away by blowing the Myles Jack fumble recovery call, but slipped last year due to teams figuring out the over simplified offense we were running to hand hold Bortles and him regressing right back to his usual self..

Oh the irony.

This team doesn't need a complete overhaul and I never said that. What I did say was that signing Foles because "the defense is ready now" is a very bad reason to sign him. I brought up Manning as just one example of a FA QB who took his team to the SB. Other than Brees and Manning (who were FAs only because of injury concerns) how many FA QBs have won a SB? If Foles had been the QB all season 2 years ago, do the Eagles even make the playoffs? He was absolutely terrible in 3 of the 6 games he started in 2017. 

My point is that the best way for a team to have consistent and sustained success is with a true franchise QB. And the best way to do that is to draft one. Not to take some other teams leftovers.

We all want the team to be good not just this year but to continue being a contender every year. The problem comes up with the mandate laid down by the Owner the dictates what the coaches and front office would do. They have been told to win this year or else. So they will do whatever it takes to win this year. i know building for the future is preferable but if your job is on the line you are going to do what you think will keep your job.

(03-06-2019, 03:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oh the irony.

We all want the team to be good not just this year but to continue being a contender every year. The problem comes up with the mandate laid down by the Owner the dictates what the coaches and front office would do. They have been told to win this year or else. So they will do whatever it takes to win this year. i know building for the future is preferable but if your job is on the line you are going to do what you think will keep your job.

Tom isn't being fired this year if we don't win

(03-06-2019, 03:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oh the irony.

What mandate by the owner?? Is this just a personal fantasy that you believe, a hypothetical, or do you have something to back that up?

I think all this “win now mode” talk is garbage, personally. Nearly every team sees themselves in “win now mode” unless they have just begun a massive rebuild. 
Every GM that has some semblance of a roster put together is trying to complete it enough to “win now” in each and every offseason. 

I think this Jags situation comes down to the basic football philosophies of Coughlin and Marrone. 
They think they can win with Foles and a few other upgrades and it will buy them time to select and develop a young QB in this offseason or the next.

Seems rather simple to me. 

Add a QB that’s better than the last guy and mix in a couple of upgrades at o-line and TE. Then Let your very good defense give them 9 or 10 opportunities to win games by only needing to score 20-24 points. 

Sometime between now and the 2020 draft find your heir apparent young QB.

(03-06-2019, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:38 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: We all want the team to be good not just this year but to continue being a contender every year. The problem comes up with the mandate laid down by the Owner the dictates what the coaches and front office would do. They have been told to win this year or else. So they will do whatever it takes to win this year. i know building for the future is preferable but if your job is on the line you are going to do what you think will keep your job.

What mandate by the owner?? Is this just a personal fantasy that you believe, a hypothetical, or do you have something to back that up?

I think all this “win now mode” talk is garbage, personally. Nearly every team sees themselves in “win now mode” unless they have just begun a massive rebuild. 
Every GM that has some semblance of a roster put together is trying to complete it enough to “win now” in each and every offseason. 

I think this Jags situation comes down to the basic football philosophies of Coughlin and Marrone. 
They think they can win with Foles and a few other upgrades and it will buy them time to select and develop a young QB in this offseason or the next.

Add a QB that’s better than the last guy and mix in a couple of upgrades at o-line and TE. Then Let your very good defense give them 9 or 10 opportunities to win games by only needing to score 20-24 points. 

Per Shad
"I have the same trust in Tom, Dave and Doug as I did upon their introduction two years ago, and I do believe our best path forward for the moment is the one less disruptive and dramatic.  Stability should not be confused with satisfaction, however.  I am far from content with the status quo and while it’s best to put 2018 behind us, I will not overlook how poorly we accounted for ourselves following a 3-1 start.  There were far too many long Sundays over the last three quarters of the season, with today’s loss in Houston being the final example, and that cannot repeat itself in 2019.  That’s my message to our football people and players, but also our sponsors and fans, both of whom were remarkable."

I know it can be taken many ways but the talking heads on the radio seem to think that is a mandate to win this year or else and is why they seem to think its a win now mode.

(03-06-2019, 04:14 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: What mandate by the owner?? Is this just a personal fantasy that you believe, a hypothetical, or do you have something to back that up?

Per Shad
"I have the same trust in Tom, Dave and Doug as I did upon their introduction two years ago, and I do believe our best path forward for the moment is the one less disruptive and dramatic.  Stability should not be confused with satisfaction, however.  I am far from content with the status quo and while it’s best to put 2018 behind us, I will not overlook how poorly we accounted for ourselves following a 3-1 start.  There were far too many long Sundays over the last three quarters of the season, with today’s loss in Houston being the final example, and that cannot repeat itself in 2019.  That’s my message to our football people and players, but also our sponsors and fans, both of whom were remarkable."

I know it can be taken many ways but the talking heads on the radio seem to think that is a mandate to win this year or else and is why they seem to think its a win now mode.

Yeah, that’s not a mandate. That’s a canned press release statement from any owner that just endured a losing season but isn’t firing his top brass over it.

(03-06-2019, 04:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 04:14 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Per Shad

Yeah, that’s not a mandate. That’s a canned press release statement from any owner that just endured a losing season but isn’t firing his top brass over it.

I hear ya but that is what these local yahoos are saying the reason we are going after a career back up as our QB in Foles. I really dont think he is any better then BB5 he just had better weapons around him. I know im probably alone in my opinion but still Foles will cost way to much and we will not be able to address the rest of our offensive problems through FA. after we cut everyone including blake we have maybe 35 mill to play with in cap room. We sign foles for 20 and a back up QB drafted or fa cost between 3 and 5. that does not leave enough for rookiees and other FAs. Of course i could be wrong too.