Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foles, Done deal

(03-12-2019, 10:55 AM)Brett Wrote: Negative article published today in USAToday regarding the move:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ft.../39183545/

Welp pretty much what i have said Too Much Money tied up in QB Room. Everyone keeps asking about who the back up will be. Didnt we sign a CFL QB this summer?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-12-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 10:27 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Honestly I don't think the weapons are THAT far away. Aside from TE of course, add one more WR. The hard part with our WRs is something I heard yesterday: most of these guys on our roster have only had Bortles as their NFL QB. Take Lee for example, how often did he have to slow down/adjust routes just to try and catch an inaccurate pass from Blake? With an accurate QB, who knows what step these guys could take.

I think we'll see that our skill positions are a better than we thought.
I don’t disagree really with what you’re saying.

I think Chark and Westbrook benefit the most from the Foles signing. However we are still banking on two unproven guys and then an overrated Lee to come back fully healthy.

My OBJ trade idea is really about winning now because that’s clear by the signing of Foles. If people don’t like giving away the 2 thirds, how about this years first and next years first? If the Jags don’t make the playoffs this year, it’s a colossal failure.

But is he? Or was he the victim of terrible QB play?

(03-12-2019, 11:03 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t disagree really with what you’re saying.

I think Chark and Westbrook benefit the most from the Foles signing. However we are still banking on two unproven guys and then an overrated Lee to come back fully healthy.

My OBJ trade idea is really about winning now because that’s clear by the signing of Foles. If people don’t like giving away the 2 thirds, how about this years first and next years first? If the Jags don’t make the playoffs this year, it’s a colossal failure.

But is he? Or was he the victim of terrible QB play?

Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Chark all stand to look better catching balls from Foles than they did from Bortles. 
They simply won't have to adjust so often to poor accuracy and bad timing. (nevermind the ducks)

DeFilippo just needs to work out how to use them all in some quick release stuff. Shouldn't be that tough. 

Get a sure handed TE and a C.O.P. back with decent hands in the draft and receiving targets become a complete non-issue. 
Let's not forget Fournette was a bit more sure-handed as a receiver than many expected. He'll be utilized as well.

(03-12-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:03 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: But is he? Or was he the victim of terrible QB play?

Lee, Cole, Westbrook and Chark all stand to look better catching balls from Foles than they did from Bortles. 
They simply won't have to adjust so often to poor accuracy and bad timing. (nevermind the ducks)

DeFilippo just needs to work out how to use them all in some quick release stuff. Shouldn't be that tough. 

Get a sure handed TE and a C.O.P. back with decent hands in the draft and receiving targets become a complete non-issue. 
Let's not forget Fournette was a bit more sure-handed as a receiver than many expected. He'll be utilized as well.

I agree, I don't think it's as dire as some make it to be. TE is the only spot where we have literally NOTHING. And I'd be all over Hockensen or Fant. I'd even double dip on TE this year like Baltimore did. Tevin Coleman would be an interesting addition but I don't see us spending that money.

I do hope we draft Hockenson in the first. One of the best TE prospects to come out in years imo

(03-11-2019, 05:20 PM)High Octane Wrote: The guys on NFL Network mentioned they didn't want to insult him by offering $18mil per season. He's a starting QB, and they wanted to pay him like a starting QB so he can get into camp with the confidence that he is the QB for us.

I'd prefer it was a slightly smaller contract, but oh well. Big improvement over Bortles.

While I refuse to trust that as reliable info, any FO that openly states that, let alone operates with that mindset, will not remain employed for long.  If you believe he is worth 18M, or will sign for 18M, you don't volunteer to overpay for services in the name of Ego.  Especially if you are already adding incentive bonuses in the deal.

(03-11-2019, 06:50 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm coming around a bit after watching highlights and hearing analysis. Seems most every analyst out there thinks it's a great fit, and the players I've seen comment all seem excited.

1010 had a good point. This will be the only time Lee has not had Blake as his QB. Could we see him step up to his potential now that he has an accurate QB?

This assumes Lee doesn't end up hurt again, or that we acquire some guy named Lee who played at UCF and has been out of the league for five years.  I don't know that I trust either of those odds.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:06 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-11-2019, 07:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/1086071908980801537

The above isn't really being fair to Foles.

Regular season attempts over the past two years:

Brady = 1151
Rivers = 1083
Goff = 1038
Brees = 1025
Wilson = 980
Wentz = 841
Watson = 709
Mahomes = 615

Foles = 296

His sample size is less than half of Mahomes who only has 17 regular season games under his belt.  Foles only started 8 regular season games over the past 2 years.  I'd also argue that not being the week in/week out starter over an extended period of time makes this comparison unfair because he isn't getting the same amount of reps with the 1's.  His longest stretch as starter produced his best statistical results which occurred at the end of 2017 and into their Super Bowl Run.  You can dislike Foles or his deal here or both, but I wouldn't put too much stock into this particular stat comparison.

(03-11-2019, 09:04 PM)pirkster Wrote: Too early for Nicknames?

Darling Nicky, anyone?

Fole$
Nick "Name" Foles
The big spender from under center
If we clinch the playoffs in December, Saint Nick.

(03-12-2019, 10:23 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 10:16 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Fournette for Agholor and a 3rd.

And.... who's your RB then?
Does it matter? RBs are a dime a dozen. 
(03-12-2019, 11:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I do hope we draft Hockenson in the first.  One of the best TE prospects to come out in years imo
So much this!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-12-2019, 12:03 PM)Mikey Wrote:

Darling Nicky, anyone?

Fole$
Nick "Name" Foles
The big spender from under center
If we clinch the playoffs in December, Saint Nick.

Foles Gold
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Darling Nicky, anyone?

He already has a nickname.  Though it's not really a family friendly one.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM by JackCity.)

(03-12-2019, 11:51 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 07:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/1086071908980801537

The above isn't really being fair to Foles.

Brady = 1151
Rivers = 1083
Goff = 1038
Brees = 1025
Wilson = 980
Wentz = 841
Watson = 709
Mahomes = 615

Foles = 296

His sample size is less than half of Mahomes who has 17 regular season games under his belt.  Foles only started 8 regular season games over the past 2 years.  I'd also argue that not being the week in/week out starter over an extended period of time makes this comparison unfair because he isn't getting the same amount of reps with the 1's.  His longest stretch as starter produced his best statistical results which occurred at the end of 2017 and into their Super Bowl Run.  You can dislike Foles or his deal here or both, but I wouldn't put too much stock into this particular stat comparison.

The point of the chart isn't to compare Foles to Mahomes, or any QB bar Wentz. Its specifically referring to the not uncommon opinion that Foles was either better or at least not far away from Wentz's performance in the same scheme, when in reality Wentz was miles better. Focus on the AY/A part and ratio, not the raw production.

8 ay/a and 54:14 vs 7 ay/a and 21:11 is a massive difference in performance

When looking at AY/A last year, the distance from Bortles to Foles is the same distance as Jameis to Rodgers. I'm sensing championship!

Who we really should have signed was Fitzmagic. 4th best AY/A in the league last year!

(03-11-2019, 05:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Yuck.
I was hoping the Foles deal would fall apart and we go Rosen then draft a QB. History is not kind to high priced FA QBs. I'm not sure the jags go after a QB in the draft at this point. With limited draft picks, a more robust supporting cast should be on the agenda now.

yuck is right, but yuck about going after Rosen and drafting a qb.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(03-12-2019, 12:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:51 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: ...

The point of the chart isn't to compare Foles to Mahomes, or any QB bar Wentz. Its specifically referring to the not uncommon opinion that Foles was either better or at least not far away from Wentz's performance in the same scheme, when in reality Wentz was miles better. Focus on the AY/A part and ratio, not the raw production.  

Does the scoreboard in the stadium adjust for this now?  Or is it still based on production?

(03-12-2019, 12:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:51 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The above isn't really being fair to Foles.

Brady = 1151
Rivers = 1083
Goff = 1038
Brees = 1025
Wilson = 980
Wentz = 841
Watson = 709
Mahomes = 615

Foles = 296

His sample size is less than half of Mahomes who has 17 regular season games under his belt.  Foles only started 8 regular season games over the past 2 years.  I'd also argue that not being the week in/week out starter over an extended period of time makes this comparison unfair because he isn't getting the same amount of reps with the 1's.  His longest stretch as starter produced his best statistical results which occurred at the end of 2017 and into their Super Bowl Run.  You can dislike Foles or his deal here or both, but I wouldn't put too much stock into this particular stat comparison.

I'm not saying he's better than or equal to Wentz.  What I'm saying is sprinkling 8 regular season starts over two seasons makes the exercise of trying to prove definitively he isn't better or equal to Wentz using the above stats pointless.  Again, no one has to like him just because he's our QB and there's a lot of uncertainty going forward just as there would be had we drafted someone high in the 1st round expecting them to start right away.  I think most would take Wentz over Foles if given the option.

I'm not here to be a rah rah guy for Nick Foles.  Like most, I'm hoping he excels here.  I'm of the opinion that we over paid, but I also realize you have to over pay to some extent in free agency.  I'll be very interested as more contract details are released to see how married we are to him beyond the 2020 season.  I'm hoping for a signing bonus under $25 million.  I'm not saying ignore the above comparison, I just don't find it, by itself, very compelling given the circumstances.

(03-12-2019, 12:59 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 12:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: The point of the chart isn't to compare Foles to Mahomes, or any QB bar Wentz. Its specifically referring to the not uncommon opinion that Foles was either better or at least not far away from Wentz's performance in the same scheme, when in reality Wentz was miles better. Focus on the AY/A part and ratio, not the raw production.  

I'm not saying he's better than or equal to Wentz.  What I'm saying is sprinkling 8 regular season starts over two seasons makes the exercise of trying to prove definitively he isn't better or equal to Wentz using the above stats pointless.  Again, no one has to like him just because he's our QB and there's a lot of uncertainty going forward just as there would be had we drafted someone high in the 1st round expecting them to start right away.  I think most would take Wentz over Foles if given the option.

I'm not here to be a rah rah guy for Nick Foles.  Like most, I'm hoping he excels here.  I'm of the opinion that we over paid, but I also realize you have to over pay to some extent in free agency.  I'll be very interested as more contract details are released to see how married we are to him beyond the 2020 season.  I'm hoping for a signing bonus under $25 million.  I'm not saying ignore the above comparison, I just don't find it, by itself, very compelling given the circumstances.

I'm not saying you are, the chart is just showing the different levels of performance between them in the same scheme and team. Someone had posted the Foles vs Wentz chart through their careers above and its been mentioned a few times on here by particular posters and on jags twitter that Foles was just as good or better than Wentz.,some have even suggested they should have traded Wentz instead.  

There's tons of metrics , stats (and just by looking) that should show people how big the gulf is between them, its just easier to use one of the better rate stats in comparing them in the same team to illustrate it., or so i thought at least lol

(03-12-2019, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles is signed.

Trade #7 and both 3rd rounders for OBJ.

Disgusting.. Huge no thanks.

Why would you want to give up that for an overpaid headcase WR? He's owed $21m and $20m over of the next 2 seasons..

(03-12-2019, 03:52 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Foles is signed.

Trade #7 and both 3rd rounders for OBJ.

Disgusting.. Huge no thanks.

Why would you want to give up that for an overpaid headcase WR? He's owed $21m and $20m over of the next 2 seasons..

Agree. 

I'd rather trade that pick for more picks and load up on OL, receiving threats, and some RB options behind Fournette.