Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have you ever wanted something for no good reason?

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 09:26 AM by The Real Marty.)

Have you ever wanted something that you really have no use for, and all your logic tells you it would be a useless expenditure of money, and yet, you still want it?  

For example, for the past few months, I have wanted Bose noise-cancelling headphones, and yet, I have no use for them at all.   I already own a pair of headphones, and I hardly ever use them.  My wife and I like the same music, and I have some good speakers, and she likes to hear the music when I play it, so why do I want these particular headphones?  It makes no sense.   And yet, I am fighting this overpowering urge to run down to Best Buy and buy these things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Advertisement. It's engineered to get our [BLEEP] out and about to stimulate the economy. I spend needlessly all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

A curved, 43 inch, ultrawide monitor for my PC.

A larger TV. I have a 55in in a relatively small room that fills the wall section. But I still want a bigger one.

I bought a Google hone for no resson. I don't really use it, I just wanted to have it.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM by homebiscuit.)

(03-17-2019, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Have you ever wanted something that you really have no use for, and all your logic tells you it would be a useless expenditure of money, and yet, you still want it?  

For example, for the past few months, I have wanted Bose noise-cancelling headphones, and yet, I have no use for them at all.   I already own a pair of headphones, and I hardly ever use them.  My wife and I like the same music, and I have some good speakers, and she likes to hear the music when I play it, so why do I want these particular headphones?  It makes no sense.   And yet, I am fighting this overpowering urge to run down to Best Buy and buy these things.

If you ever fly, they're a god send. For years I resisted buying a pair until I flew overseas last year. Oh my word. I cursed myself for not having bought some long ago. They're so effective that you can forget you're in an airplane at 40,000 feet and can become completely absorbed in a movie, or whatever you watch or listen to. If I'm not watching or listening, I wear them anyway to block out the cabin noise while I read or doze. However, other than that, I never use them.

(03-17-2019, 10:13 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: A larger TV. I have a 55in in a relatively small room that fills the wall section. But I still want a bigger one.

I bought a Google hone for no resson. I don't really use it, I just wanted to have it.

There's no end. I have a 70" and still want a bigger one (TV).

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM by Jags.)

ALL THE TIME.   There’s no shortage of cool stuff I just had to have.  I know I don’t NEED it, But hey, it makes me happy.

Plus, one day my wife will have a pretty damn big garage sale after I go.   That’ll be my payback to her for aggrevating me for so many years.

(03-17-2019, 10:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Have you ever wanted something that you really have no use for, and all your logic tells you it would be a useless expenditure of money, and yet, you still want it?  

If you ever fly, they're a god send. For years I resisted buying a pair until I flew overseas last year. Oh my word. I cursed myself for not having bought some long ago. They're so effective that you can forget you're in an airplane at 40,000 feet and can become completely absorbed in a movie, or whatever you watch or listen to. If I'm not watching or listening, I wear them anyway to block out the cabin noise while I read or doze. 

Good points.  

I really need a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, don't I?

(03-17-2019, 11:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 10:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you ever fly, they're a god send. For years I resisted buying a pair until I flew overseas last year. Oh my word. I cursed myself for not having bought some long ago. They're so effective that you can forget you're in an airplane at 40,000 feet and can become completely absorbed in a movie, or whatever you watch or listen to. If I'm not watching or listening, I wear them anyway to block out the cabin noise while I read or doze. 

Good points.  

I really need a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones, don't I?

How conveeeeiinent that you omitted the last sentence from my quote.

[Image: churchlady.jpg]

(03-17-2019, 10:13 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: A larger TV. I have a 55in in a relatively small room that fills the wall section. But I still want a bigger one.

It's so odd how the place of the TV in the living room has changed so dramatically over the past 10 or so years. Growing up, our TV was literally on a shelf in a cabinet and you had to open the door to watch TV, the VCR and the radio/CD player were in there as well. The TV in my current living room takes up most of the wall and is wider than the cabinet my parents kept their TV in.

(03-17-2019, 07:49 PM)DragonFury Wrote:

It's so odd how the place of the TV in the living room has changed so dramatically over the past 10 or so years. Growing up, our TV was literally on a shelf in a cabinet and you had to open the door to watch TV, the VCR and the radio/CD player were in there as well. The TV in my current living room takes up most of the wall and is wider than the cabinet my parents kept their TV in.

And us older folks remember when TVs were built into their own cabinets.

(03-17-2019, 08:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 07:49 PM)DragonFury Wrote: It's so odd how the place of the TV in the living room has changed so dramatically over the past 10 or so years. Growing up, our TV was literally on a shelf in a cabinet and you had to open the door to watch TV, the VCR and the radio/CD player were in there as well. The TV in my current living room takes up most of the wall and is wider than the cabinet my parents kept their TV in.

And us older folks remember when TVs were built into their own cabinets.

Liquor, turntable and TV all in one. The pinnacle of human achievement.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-17-2019, 08:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 08:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: And us older folks remember when TVs were built into their own cabinets.

Liquor, turntable and TV all in one. The pinnacle of human achievement.

Party time!

[Image: 609d9ba35a6f08453d23206ffd7aafcd.jpg]

I want to buy a plot of land in Montana, near Billings

Yeah, a hooker.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(03-17-2019, 09:15 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Yeah, a hooker.

Don't be silly. There's a perfectly good reason for that.

I want a newer motorcycle, but I can't really justify it. I take weekend or occasional rides, but I'm not one of those 'Live to ride, ride to live' kind of guys. Granted, I would ride more if I had a newer, more comfortable bike that was conducive to longer rides but it's so far down my priority list that I really don't see myself doing it any time soon. However, that doesn't prevent me from daydream internet shopping.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 12:11 AM by pirkster.)

TV

So, my Panasonic plasma (the standard for a decade or so) died a couple years ago and I was anxious to replace it.

I recently got the current equivalent (LG OLED) and...

...yeah, it's just as good, if not better.

But... TV just doesn't mean that much anymore.

Sometimes in life, it's about timing. Windows. Windows close. Life goes on, we all change, adapt, evolve...

As far as TVs go, if you value them that much... as good as the top of the line stuff is, if you're a casual viewer you can buy a set or less than 1k that will satisfy.

As high performance is mine is, I can't say I don't regret going for something much cheaper.

Not knocking what I purchased (it delivered 110 percent as advertised)... but,

it's just a TV
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I could go for a donut.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Season tickets!

In all seriousness, I probably have this struggle once a year. I don’t spend a ton of money but when I do decide to...look out! Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a wife that just goes along with it instead keeping me straight. This year I thought I’d punish the fam with boat ownership. Yep, good times.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

@kids?@

I have resisted the urge to buy many of the gaming consoles that have come out, but seeing so many of the games that are out there these days, the temptation looms large. I realize I barely have time or energy, so it would collect dust in our house.

(03-17-2019, 09:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 08:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Liquor, turntable and TV all in one. The pinnacle of human achievement.

Party time!

[Image: 609d9ba35a6f08453d23206ffd7aafcd.jpg]

Me too.

I've always wanted a girl that looked like Claudia Schiffer.