Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have you ever wanted something for no good reason?

What a great thread!

I had a small mini-fridge from college that I used for my beer. As I got older, it just didn't look right in my home. Last summer, I finally broke down and got a stainless steel mini-fridge with a clear door and light! It's classy looking and holds twice as many beers as my old one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-20-2019, 10:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm a musician by trade.

One can spend LOTS AND LOTS of money on instruments and recording gear. I know this first hand.
70% of that music gear I purchased  -  I absolutely did not need.

I've pared things down to mostly the essentials now, but I could probably boost my savings by another 5K by selling a few things I don't really use.

Other than that I have a few items on my eBay watch list that are completely nonessential.
(an expensive swiss watch, a rare vintage surfboard, random mid-century antiques)

I know a few people like that. You go to their house and it's like Guitar Center. I'm actually the opposite. Everything I have bought I use, or had used at one time. I still have and use my Boss DS-1 distortion pedal from the '80s. And really, I'm like that with everything. I'm very utilitarian minded. My wife on the other hand, isn't. We've collected up clothes for charity donations on a few occasions and every time we're giving away stuff of her's that still have the tags on them. I shake my head.

I really want a catadioptric telescope. I have a 10” Newtonian scope now and it’s simply too large and heavy for casual sky watching. Plus I want to get into astrophotography, which a good cat scope with a nice motorized mount can accommodate. Then the imaging equipment and software...it’s a slippery slope.

Panties ... I buy way too many panties.

(03-20-2019, 03:41 PM)Sammy Wrote: Panties ... I buy way too many panties.

You know you're supposed to steal them, right? And not from a store either.

After reading this thread, I was like "Hey I fly a lot and Homebiscuit is saying that the Bose noise-cancelling headphones are great ! Let's buy it".

Today, I bought it. Very expensive...but great...but very expensive !

(03-20-2019, 05:17 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: After reading this thread, I was like "Hey I fly a lot and Homebiscuit is saying that the Bose noise-cancelling headphones are great ! Let's buy it".

Today, I bought it. Very expensive...but great...but very expensive !

I was only kidding.

Really, you'll love them on an airplane. They cancel out almost all cabin noise. Except crying kids. Benadryl does that.

(03-20-2019, 03:50 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:

You know you're supposed to steal them, right? And not from a store either.

The Judge said if I got caught again she would throw me in prison for 10 years.

Been using her stolen CC to buy them. How's that for clever?

Start going commando.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Overall I think I’m pretty good about not buying things that I don’t need. With my background I’ve always been pretty good at buying things that hold their value, I consider them to be liquid assets. I love watches, I’ve got two Rolex, three Omegas and a few lower end models. At my local Rolex AD I am on a waitlist for basically any stainless sport model, Sub, GMT, Daytona, a week ago when I was there they told me within a few weeks they should have something, I’m hoping for the Daytona. Do I need it? No. But to buy a nice watch that’ll only gain value over time, why not?

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2019, 07:19 AM by Jags.)

(03-20-2019, 11:53 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: Overall I think I’m pretty good about not buying things that I don’t need. With my background I’ve always been pretty good at buying things that hold their value, I consider them to be liquid assets. I love watches, I’ve got two Rolex, three Omegas and a few lower end models. At my local Rolex AD I am on a waitlist for basically any stainless sport model, Sub, GMT, Daytona, a week ago when I was there they told me within a few weeks they should have something, I’m hoping for the Daytona. Do I need it? No. But to buy a nice watch that’ll only gain value over time, why not?

Let me ask you this, if you don’t mind.  This is an honest story/question.  My nephew found what he thinks is a real Rolex.  He works at some sort of dump or waste facility.  Tbh, I am a little confused as to where or what kind.  Didn’t sound like the normal place regular trash went.  He noticed a pile of watches and went through them and found this watch.  It says it’s a Rolex submariner.  He supposedly did research on identifying real ones and show me the watch and research.  Based off that, all signs point to it could be real.  The problem is, with the potential value, he’s afraid if he took it in for repairs or inquire about it, that it would be linked to a crime, whether just stolen or worse and doesn’t want to get in trouble. After all, something like that doesn’t end in a dump for no reason.  Seems like either fake, or someone trying to distance themselves from it. He’s had an offer for it from a coworker that supposedly already owns a genuine Rolex.  What, could he do? If he took it in and numbers (assuming they have serial numbers) match to stolen or from a guy whose murderer is still out,  can he get in trouble, or do they just hand it over to police? Assuming, he’s told me the real story and not some premeditated fabrication of the truth, what’s his options?

(03-17-2019, 09:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 09:15 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Yeah, a hooker.

Don't be silly. There's a perfectly good reason for that.

Shows what you know about why I wanted this particular hooker.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Nonsense, you can never have too many panties, unless you're one of those cretins who never gives out panties as door prizes.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(03-21-2019, 07:16 AM)Jags Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 11:53 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: Overall I think I’m pretty good about not buying things that I don’t need. With my background I’ve always been pretty good at buying things that hold their value, I consider them to be liquid assets. I love watches, I’ve got two Rolex, three Omegas and a few lower end models. At my local Rolex AD I am on a waitlist for basically any stainless sport model, Sub, GMT, Daytona, a week ago when I was there they told me within a few weeks they should have something, I’m hoping for the Daytona. Do I need it? No. But to buy a nice watch that’ll only gain value over time, why not?

Let me ask you this, if you don’t mind.  This is an honest story/question.  My nephew found what he thinks is a real Rolex.  He works at some sort of dump or waste facility.  Tbh, I am a little confused as to where or what kind.  Didn’t sound like the normal place regular trash went.  He noticed a pile of watches and went through them and found this watch.  It says it’s a Rolex submariner.  He supposedly did research on identifying real ones and show me the watch and research.  Based off that, all signs point to it could be real.  The problem is, with the potential value, he’s afraid if he took it in for repairs or inquire about it, that it would be linked to a crime, whether just stolen or worse and doesn’t want to get in trouble. After all, something like that doesn’t end in a dump for no reason.  Seems like either fake, or someone trying to distance themselves from it. He’s had an offer for it from a coworker that supposedly already owns a genuine Rolex.  What, could he do? If he took it in and numbers (assuming they have serial numbers) match to stolen or from a guy whose murderer is still out,  can he get in trouble, or do they just hand it over to police? Assuming, he’s told me the real story and not some premeditated fabrication of the truth, what’s his options?

If it’s real that is one hell of a find. Could definitely be a fake, there are extremely good fakes out there unfortunately. Nothing is going to link him to any possible crimes. The only way to get the serial or the exact model of a Rolex is by taking off the bracelet. I would say maybe just take it to a pawn shop and ask them if they think it’s real. But don’t go to any shop, find one in a decent area that knows this type of item because some won’t. They will definitely ask you questions as to it’s origin but you can tell them anything that implies ownership; furthermore, if it is authentic I can guarantee they will want to buy it from you but I don’t recommend selling unless you have to.  Police have a database of items that are pawned and if the item and the serial are linked to a crime it wouldn’t show up unless the item was actually pawned or sold to them, as long as you aren’t doing this you have nothing to worry about. I do not suggest taking it to an authorized dealer to ask for authentication. If you don’t want to take it somewhere physically there are options that can found on Google that involve sending it in for authentication, this won’t be free ofcourse. 

That’s pretty exciting, please do let us know what ends up happening!

(03-21-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 07:16 AM)Jags Wrote: Let me ask you this, if you don’t mind.  This is an honest story/question.  My nephew found what he thinks is a real Rolex.  He works at some sort of dump or waste facility.  Tbh, I am a little confused as to where or what kind.  Didn’t sound like the normal place regular trash went.  He noticed a pile of watches and went through them and found this watch.  It says it’s a Rolex submariner.  He supposedly did research on identifying real ones and show me the watch and research.  Based off that, all signs point to it could be real.  The problem is, with the potential value, he’s afraid if he took it in for repairs or inquire about it, that it would be linked to a crime, whether just stolen or worse and doesn’t want to get in trouble. After all, something like that doesn’t end in a dump for no reason.  Seems like either fake, or someone trying to distance themselves from it. He’s had an offer for it from a coworker that supposedly already owns a genuine Rolex.  What, could he do? If he took it in and numbers (assuming they have serial numbers) match to stolen or from a guy whose murderer is still out,  can he get in trouble, or do they just hand it over to police? Assuming, he’s told me the real story and not some premeditated fabrication of the truth, what’s his options?

If it’s real that is one hell of a find. Could definitely be a fake, there are extremely good fakes out there unfortunately. Nothing is going to link him to any possible crimes. The only way to get the serial or the exact model of a Rolex is by taking off the bracelet. I would say maybe just take it to a pawn shop and ask them if they think it’s real. But don’t go to any shop, find one in a decent area that knows this type of item because some won’t. They will definitely ask you questions as to it’s origin but you can tell them anything that implies ownership; furthermore, if it is authentic I can guarantee they will want to buy it from you but I don’t recommend selling unless you have to.  Police have a database of items that are pawned and if the item and the serial are linked to a crime it wouldn’t show up unless the item was actually pawned or sold to them, as long as you aren’t doing this you have nothing to worry about. I do not suggest taking it to an authorized dealer to ask for authentication. If you don’t want to take it somewhere physically there are options that can found on Google that involve sending it in for authentication, this won’t be free ofcourse. 

None of this is exciting for, potentially, the poor guy who had his Rolex stolen.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019, 06:45 AM by Jags.)

(03-22-2019, 06:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote: If it’s real that is one hell of a find. Could definitely be a fake, there are extremely good fakes out there unfortunately. Nothing is going to link him to any possible crimes. The only way to get the serial or the exact model of a Rolex is by taking off the bracelet. I would say maybe just take it to a pawn shop and ask them if they think it’s real. But don’t go to any shop, find one in a decent area that knows this type of item because some won’t. They will definitely ask you questions as to it’s origin but you can tell them anything that implies ownership; furthermore, if it is authentic I can guarantee they will want to buy it from you but I don’t recommend selling unless you have to.  Police have a database of items that are pawned and if the item and the serial are linked to a crime it wouldn’t show up unless the item was actually pawned or sold to them, as long as you aren’t doing this you have nothing to worry about. I do not suggest taking it to an authorized dealer to ask for authentication. If you don’t want to take it somewhere physically there are options that can found on Google that involve sending it in for authentication, this won’t be free ofcourse. 

None of this is exciting for, potentially, the poor guy who had his Rolex stolen.
You never know, it may have still been on his wrist.

(03-21-2019, 11:15 PM)Jagfan44 Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 07:16 AM)Jags Wrote: Let me ask you this, if you don’t mind.  This is an honest story/question.  My nephew found what he thinks is a real Rolex.  He works at some sort of dump or waste facility.  Tbh, I am a little confused as to where or what kind.  Didn’t sound like the normal place regular trash went.  He noticed a pile of watches and went through them and found this watch.  It says it’s a Rolex submariner.  He supposedly did research on identifying real ones and show me the watch and research.  Based off that, all signs point to it could be real.  The problem is, with the potential value, he’s afraid if he took it in for repairs or inquire about it, that it would be linked to a crime, whether just stolen or worse and doesn’t want to get in trouble. After all, something like that doesn’t end in a dump for no reason.  Seems like either fake, or someone trying to distance themselves from it. He’s had an offer for it from a coworker that supposedly already owns a genuine Rolex.  What, could he do? If he took it in and numbers (assuming they have serial numbers) match to stolen or from a guy whose murderer is still out,  can he get in trouble, or do they just hand it over to police? Assuming, he’s told me the real story and not some premeditated fabrication of the truth, what’s his options?

Thanks for the advice.  I’ll pass it on.  I’m pretty sure he does just want to authenticate it and repair it.   I don’t really see him much, but I will update on it when/if he figures it out.

(03-20-2019, 09:41 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 05:22 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've never gotten into video games.  But I have gotten into online chess lately.  Mostly against computers.  I lose a lot.  Chess is hard.

Try Bridge. It's more of a challenge since every hand is differentLINK

To answer your original question, i have a nice pair of binoculars hanging in my closet that I bought 20 years ago and have never used.

I played a lot of bridge in my younger days.  

The reason I prefer chess is that there is no element of chance, plus, you are on your own, you don't have to worry about letting down your partner.  And you can play it on the internet.  You don't need to join a bridge club or rustle up some players.  Chess can be such a beautiful thing when all your pieces are coordinated, and everything just works, and your opponent has no answer for any move you make.

(03-20-2019, 01:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I really want a catadioptric telescope. I have a 10” Newtonian scope now and it’s simply too large and heavy for casual sky watching. Plus I want to get into astrophotography, which a good cat scope with a nice motorized mount can accommodate. Then the imaging equipment and software...it’s a slippery slope.

I don't know your personal financial situation, but I really think you should buy that.  When I was at Indiana University, I took an astronomy course, and I thought about majoring in astronomy until I found out about the math prerequisites, which I did not have.  One night they took us to the observatory on campus and when I looked through the telescope, what I saw was an incredibly detailed view of a globular cluster.  I'll never forget that.  

Life is short, and if stargazing is your hobby, I can't think of anything better.  You should pour yourself into it.

(03-22-2019, 06:42 AM)Jags Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 06:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: None of this is exciting for, potentially, the poor guy who had his Rolex stolen.
You never know, it may have still been on his wrist.

The first real clue to Jimmy Hoffa's location!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-22-2019, 07:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 01:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I really want a catadioptric telescope. I have a 10” Newtonian scope now and it’s simply too large and heavy for casual sky watching. Plus I want to get into astrophotography, which a good cat scope with a nice motorized mount can accommodate. Then the imaging equipment and software...it’s a slippery slope.

I don't know your personal financial situation, but I really think you should buy that.  When I was at Indiana University, I took an astronomy course, and I thought about majoring in astronomy until I found out about the math prerequisites, which I did not have.  One night they took us to the observatory on campus and when I looked through the telescope, what I saw was an incredibly detailed view of a globular cluster.  I'll never forget that.  

Life is short, and if stargazing is your hobby, I can't think of anything better.  You should pour yourself into it.

I hope to eventually. The combination of scopes, mounts and cameras are endless. Especially when cost is involved, which can be endless itself. It’s possible to spend in excess of $15,000 for a just a mount! However, much more affordable options are out there. 
When the confluence of affordability, priority and time occurs (the definition of never?), I’ll look into it.