Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(04-08-2019, 06:56 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 10:06 PM)pirkster Wrote: Again, loopholes and their use are not unethical or "incorrect."

I do agree, though that loopholes expose a potential flaw in how laws with so-called loopholes are drawn up.  The issue is with the law itself.  Though, again... jealous and/or envious people falsely assume opposite, that it is a people and not a law issue.  Again, nothing unethical or unlawful at all.

One such loophole that quickly comes to mind is that of IRA conversion.  The loophole should be fixed so that those saving for retirement should not have to convert IRAs to Roth.  They should be allowed to do it without having to convert.  https://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds...-loophole/

If you set up a corporation that doesn't buy or sell any goods or services, and only ever buys and sells shares from you, to help disguise your income as capital gains, that may be legal but it's highly unethical. States give charter to corporations so they can be a tool to ease commerce, not reduce individual taxes.
If you claim to run a charity that doesn't do any actually charity work, or mainly engages in politics, that is also unethical.

In your mind maybe, in the real world not so much.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-08-2019, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 06:56 AM)mikesez Wrote: If you set up a corporation that doesn't buy or sell any goods or services, and only ever buys and sells shares from you, to help disguise your income as capital gains, that may be legal but it's highly unethical. States give charter to corporations so they can be a tool to ease commerce, not reduce individual taxes.
If you claim to run a charity that doesn't do any actually charity work, or mainly engages in politics, that is also unethical.

In your mind maybe, in the real world not so much.

The world you live in is an awful place, if you think that is in any way, ethical.

(04-08-2019, 09:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 09:15 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: In your mind maybe, in the real world not so much.

The world you live in is an awful place, if you think that is in any way, ethical.

It's legal. Period. I live in reality, not the fantasyland you seem to inhabit. It's why you're struck with TDS, because you want something that will never be. Companies and individuals have one purpose, to succeed, anything less is waste and failure, and if it's legal then it's fair game. Change the rules if you can, but for now they are the rules by which we win or lose.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 10:40 AM by TJBender.)

(04-08-2019, 07:27 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You say that like they aren't. You really think the IRS isnt all over those people all the time? It's why they hire accounting firms to represent them, they arent sending in an EZ like you.

Everybody knows that taxes are done by taking a picture of your W-2 and uploading it to TurboTax.

Unless you have to itemize Sad

Speaking of, I should probably get my taxes done really soon. The math is done, the submission is not.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-08-2019, 10:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 09:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The world you live in is an awful place, if you think that is in any way, ethical.

It's legal. Period. I live in reality, not the fantasyland you seem to inhabit. It's why you're struck with TDS, because you want something that will never be. Companies and individuals have one purpose, to succeed, anything less is waste and failure, and if it's legal then it's fair game. Change the rules if you can, but for now they are the rules by which we win or lose.

Legal does not mean ethical. They are two entirely different things.

(04-08-2019, 12:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 10:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's legal. Period. I live in reality, not the fantasyland you seem to inhabit. It's why you're struck with TDS, because you want something that will never be. Companies and individuals have one purpose, to succeed, anything less is waste and failure, and if it's legal then it's fair game. Change the rules if you can, but for now they are the rules by which we win or lose.

Ethics is a tricky subject. It is easy to take either an objective or subjective approach based on the argument one is trying to make.

Beta busting.

Wow, that is pathetic.

yeah I don't think using financial loopholes is unethical. It only annoys me when people like Bono claim to be holier than thou and demand people help out society while also not paying much tax at all

(04-08-2019, 10:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's legal. Period. I live in reality, not the fantasyland you seem to inhabit. It's why you're struck with TDS, because you want something that will never be. Companies and individuals have one purpose, to succeed, anything less is waste and failure, and if it's legal then it's fair game. Change the rules if you can, but for now they are the rules by which we win or lose.

Smells like opinion.

(04-08-2019, 03:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Legal does not mean ethical. They are two entirely different things.

Smells like opinion.

No, that's not an opinion. That's a fact. At one time, slavery was legal, so was spousal abuse, animal cruelty and at one time, in the state of Delaware, the age of consent was 7 years old. Much of the rest of the country was set between 10-12 years old. Just because that stuff was legal, does not mean those laws were ethical or are you saying they were?

If adhering strictly to a code of ethics was a qualifier for office, we'd have no government.

(04-08-2019, 04:24 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Legal does not mean ethical. They are two entirely different things.

If adhering strictly to a code of ethics was a qualifier for office, we'd have no government.

Sad, but true.

(04-08-2019, 03:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 03:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Smells like opinion.

No, that's not an opinion. That's a fact. At one time, slavery was legal, so was spousal abuse, animal cruelty and at one time, in the state of Delaware, the age of consent was 7 years old. Much of the rest of the country was set between 10-12 years old. Just because that stuff was legal, does not mean those laws were ethical or are you saying they were?

Yes, ethics and law are both malleable.

Earnings are just that. They belong solely to the earner.

To believe those earnings belong to someone else (especially a government) is more unethical than any so-called loophole that exists today.

Taxation isn't a right of governments, it's a privilege.

Agents of government would like you to believe otherwise.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-08-2019, 10:00 PM)pirkster Wrote: Earnings are just that.  They belong solely to the earner.

To believe those earnings belong to someone else (especially a government) is more unethical than any so-called loophole that exists today.

That is a good point. We have been taxed so much for so long that some actually feel guilty about not being taxed enough.

(04-08-2019, 10:00 PM)pirkster Wrote: Earnings are just that.  They belong solely to the earner.

Earnings, sure.
But not all income is earned.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-08-2019, 10:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

That is a good point. We have been taxed so much for so long that some actually feel guilty about not being taxed enough.

This is there part where I do my obligatory stand on a table and shout at the wall about why we should be on a strictly consumption-based tax system.

(04-08-2019, 10:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Earnings, sure.

100% false.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(04-08-2019, 11:18 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 10:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: Earnings, sure.

100% false.

Lottery winnings?
Inheritance?
Interest?
Rent?
Dividends?
Gambling winnings?
Unemployment benefits?
Child support?
Awards in civil court?

Really?!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.