Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Democratic Presidential Candidates

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019, 01:35 PM by mikesez.)

(04-10-2019, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 12:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: So a dividend from a stock or a bonus from an employer - are those income in your book?

Of course they are, you already knew that. You just want to be the "money made from investments isn't really work" guy is all.

You assume too much.
I'm not the one who says there is earned and unearned income.  The US code has said as much since at least 1975.  If you want to redefine "earned income," take that up with the government, not me.
Leave that aside.
If dividends and capital gains are essentially "earned" just like wages, should they all be treated the same for the purposes of income tax?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-10-2019, 01:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Of course they are, you already knew that. You just want to be the "money made from investments isn't really work" guy is all.

You assume to much.
I'm not the one who says there is earned and unearned income.  The US code has said as much since at least 1975.  If you want to redefine "earned income" take that up with the government, not me.
Leave that aside.
If dividends and capital gains are essentially "earned" just like wages, should they all be treated the same for the purposes of income tax?

Frankly I don't give a [BLEEP]. I'm opposed to income taxes of all types.

(04-08-2019, 10:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: But not all income is earned.

(04-10-2019, 01:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm not the one who says there is earned and unearned income. 

Rolleyes
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-10-2019, 01:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: You assume to much.
I'm not the one who says there is earned and unearned income.  The US code has said as much since at least 1975.  If you want to redefine "earned income" take that up with the government, not me.
Leave that aside.

Frankly I don't give a [BLEEP]. I'm opposed to income taxes of all types.

And how do you propose the government come up with funding to do anything? If you get rid of income tax, they will just raise sales taxes to the point where an apple would cost $25.

(04-10-2019, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Frankly I don't give a [BLEEP]. I'm opposed to income taxes of all types.

And how do you propose the government come up with funding to do anything? If you get rid of income tax, they will just raise sales taxes to the point where an apple would cost $25.
In reality, taxation only increases the size of government. Never really based on pure sustainment. Yet, services never really improve.

Florida seems to be doing okay!

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/cal-thom...hy-is-that

Florida Personal Income Tax =  0%
Florida Corporate Income Tax = 5.5% before exemptions
Sales Tax = 6%
Apples = $1.38lb/0.44 cents each
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-10-2019, 11:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not a presidential candidate, but still funny.

That is more than funny it's hilarious!   Laughing

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-10-2019, 01:34 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Of course they are, you already knew that. You just want to be the "money made from investments isn't really work" guy is all.

You assume too much.
I'm not the one who says there is earned and unearned income.  The US code has said as much since at least 1975.  If you want to redefine "earned income," take that up with the government, not me.
Leave that aside.

Nope.  Earned != Wages

If I invest x amount of dollars in a stock or ETF and it pays me dividends that is money that I earned by putting my money into it.  If I buy a stock or an ETF at say $100 per share and sell it when it reaches $150 per share the difference is money I earned while I held the stock.  If I make $10 per hour at a job that is my wage.  If I work 10 hours the $100 that I get in return is money that I earned from my wages.

See how that works?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-10-2019, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Frankly I don't give a [BLEEP]. I'm opposed to income taxes of all types.

No, you're wrong. Google Fair Tax for more information.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-10-2019, 03:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: And how do you propose the government come up with funding to do anything? If you get rid of income tax, they will just raise sales taxes to the point where an apple would cost $25.

No, you're wrong. Google Fair Tax for more information.

We just need a flat tax

(04-10-2019, 05:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 03:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, you're wrong. Google Fair Tax for more information.

We just need a flat tax

If that flat tax is directly tied to consumption of material goods, I'm all for it.

(04-10-2019, 03:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, you're wrong. Google Fair Tax for more information.

We just need a flat tax

So why did you post that nonsense then?

We just need a flat tax

What's so great about a flat tax?  Rich people pay less and poor people pay more is all I could see a flat tax accomplishing.   

A consumption tax is much better.   It's simple and it's fair.

(04-10-2019, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 01:34 PM)mikesez Wrote: You assume too much.
Leave that aside.

Nope.  Earned != Wages

If I invest x amount of dollars in a stock or ETF and it pays me dividends that is money that I earned by putting my money into it.  If I buy a stock or an ETF at say $100 per share and sell it when it reaches $150 per share the difference is money I earned while I held the stock.  If I make $10 per hour at a job that is my wage.  If I work 10 hours the $100 that I get in return is money that I earned from my wages.

See how that works?

Okay that's not exactly how the government uses the term "earned" in the tax code.
But let's leave that aside.
Since all of these are essentially "earnings" they should all be taxed at the same rate right?

(04-10-2019, 06:53 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 03:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Nope.  Earned != Wages

See how that works?

Okay that's not exactly how the government uses the term "earned" in the tax code.
Since all of these are essentially "earnings" they should all be taxed at the same rate right?

Yes, the rate is 0%.

(04-10-2019, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 06:53 PM)mikesez Wrote: Okay that's not exactly how the government uses the term "earned" in the tax code.

Yes, the rate is 0%.

The question wasn't for you. I already know your answer, unicorn.

(04-10-2019, 07:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, the rate is 0%.

The question wasn't for you. I already know your answer, unicorn.

I'm pretty sure he won't disagree much.

Speaking of taxes...more government requires more money!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califor...r-to-tires

(04-11-2019, 10:30 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Speaking of taxes...more government requires more money!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/califor...r-to-tires

Hey, they need the revenue for the upkeep on the high speed train that will never be more than 1/4 complete.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-10-2019, 01:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: And how do you propose the government come up with funding to do anything? If you get rid of income tax, they will just raise sales taxes to the point where an apple would cost $25.

100% WRONG
Read the Grace Commission report.
Not a single dime of Income Tax is used to run the government.

So it appears that all of the Dems are running using the "Oprah" platform of everyone gets...
We all know they are pandering to a certain base but they can't be ignorant enough to believe that it will get them elected, right? At this point in the game just go ahead and ink in President Trump for another 4 years.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019, 07:55 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

Poor Beto, looks like his campaign has torpedoed. Maybe if he identifies as a gay white man he may pick up some traction.

(04-18-2019, 07:42 AM)B2hibry Wrote: So it appears that all of the Dems are running using the "Oprah" platform of everyone gets...
We all know they are pandering to a certain base but they can't be ignorant enough to believe that it will get them elected, right? At this point in the game just go ahead and ink in President Trump for another 4 years.

The game of chess Trump is playing anointing Bernie and Biden as the "ones to beat" is pretty genius. This party is literally going to tear itself apart over the next year.