Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(04-01-2019, 12:58 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How do people drive around with their car dashboards piled with papers and junk? I'm fanatical about keeping the interior of my vehicles uncluttered. No spare change in the cup holders, no loose stuff laying anywhere. Occasionally I'll keep a jacket laying on the seat, but that's it. Seeing a cluttered dashboard almost gives me facial tics.
Weird, doesn't bother me a bit.
[Image: h2EAEC9DB]

I ain't skeered.

[Image: SpecificDopeyAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-01-2019, 05:28 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Something that is really starting to annoy me is the realization that my chess ability is limited.  I'm playing an online computer program which has 10 levels, I've reached level 6, and the computer has kicked my [BLEEP] about 30 times in a row and I don't seem to be getting any better.   This thing throws combinations at me that I don't see coming.   It'll sacrifice a piece and let me think I'm winning, and yet it still beats me.   And I'll go back and try to replay using various different lines, and there's no way out of getting checkmated.   It's really disheartening.

Computer chess programs are very advanced. Since there is no chance involved, the computer is only limited by the time it takes to look ahead N moves. Even the best player in the world will lose most of the time. Yes, I know that they only lose to supercomputers, but I remember how good Chessmaster 2000 was on just a 386 PC. I couldn't get past level 2. I had a friend who celebrated the night he beat level 3 (out of ten IIRC).

One reason I recommended bridge. Bridge playing computers can still be regularly beat by merely very good human players.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-01-2019, 05:28 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Something that is really starting to annoy me is the realization that my chess ability is limited.  I'm playing an online computer program which has 10 levels, I've reached level 6, and the computer has kicked my [BLEEP] about 30 times in a row and I don't seem to be getting any better.   This thing throws combinations at me that I don't see coming.   It'll sacrifice a piece and let me think I'm winning, and yet it still beats me.   And I'll go back and try to replay using various different lines, and there's no way out of getting checkmated.   It's really disheartening.

Well, the beauty of the game is the complexity, but if you really want to improve try notating the game, then going back and replaying from the opening.  Alternatively, try playing two games simultaneously, one as black and one as white.  Copy the computer's white opening move as your white and take the second game's (black) move back as your black move.  Now you have the computer playing itself.  Watch and learn.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-01-2019, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote:

Well, the beauty of the game is the complexity, but if you really want to improve try notating the game, then going back and replaying from the opening.  Alternatively, try playing two games simultaneously, one as black and one as white.  Copy the computer's white opening move as your white and take the second game's (black) move back as your black move.  Now you have the computer playing itself.  Watch and learn.

Yes, I know, it's at the point where, in order to improve, I will have to work at it.   It's sort of like my golf game.   I got better to a point, and then, I had to work harder and harder to improve more and more slowly until I settled into a constant 10 over par level with the occasional sub-80 round.   And that's what tells me, my ability is limited.   I still love it, though.   It's very addictive.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM by Mikey.)

(03-30-2019, 08:20 AM)PF* Wrote: People who don't tighten the cap on the ketchup bottles, the pickle jar/the U-name it jar and when you pick it up, well, you know what happens.

Also, the people who don't rotate grocery items, putting the new stuff in front of the old stuff. Unforgivable.

The people who don't put things back in the same place after using them, often the same people indicted in the Ketchup Affair or the re-stocking incidents cited above.

We all know who these people are.

Having worked in grocery stores in the past, always get weird looks from the stock clerks when they catch me 'facing up' items after I put groceries in the cart. I guess disordered shelves are my trivial annoyance.

(03-30-2019, 11:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 09:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ah, but it's correctly alphabetical!

I spell cat C-A-T. If it was spelled in alphabetical order, it would be A-C-T. My pets are not acts, like in a play. They're real cats, C-A-T. You're being silly.

truth comes out, J-Dub was just biscuit's alterego. You're too good at this.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM by homebiscuit.)

(04-02-2019, 12:19 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 08:20 AM)PF* Wrote: People who don't tighten the cap on the ketchup bottles, the pickle jar/the U-name it jar and when you pick it up, well, you know what happens.

Also, the people who don't rotate grocery items, putting the new stuff in front of the old stuff. Unforgivable.

The people who don't put things back in the same place after using them, often the same people indicted in the Ketchup Affair or the re-stocking incidents cited above.

We all know who these people are.

Having worked in grocery stores in the past, always get weird looks from the stock clerks when they catch me 'facing up' items after I put groceries in the cart. I guess disordered shelves are my trivial annoyance.

(03-30-2019, 11:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I spell cat C-A-T. If it was spelled in alphabetical order, it would be A-C-T. My pets are not acts, like in a play. They're real cats, C-A-T. You're being silly.

truth comes out, J-Dub was just biscuit's alterego. You're too good at this.

Perhaps it’s the other way around.

(04-02-2019, 04:23 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Don't push me cuz I'm close to the edge.

Let's be clear here, which item went in the bag first?  One is over the edge, the other is justifiable.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

This guy that sits in front of me in our new 'open' work environment is quite possibly one of the most annoying individuals that I have to deal with. And I'm facing him every day for eight or nine hours.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-05-2019, 09:57 AM)Rico Wrote: This guy that sits in front of me in our new 'open' work environment is quite possibly one of the most annoying individuals that I have to deal with.  And I'm facing him every day for eight or nine hours.

Buy a big plant for your desk!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM by RicoTx.)

(04-05-2019, 11:59 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 09:57 AM)Rico Wrote: This guy that sits in front of me in our new 'open' work environment is quite possibly one of the most annoying individuals that I have to deal with.  And I'm facing him every day for eight or nine hours.

Buy a big plant for your desk!

You obviously don't understand 'open work environment'.  We are basically at long tables, with no walls in between and barely enough room for my monitors and keyboard.  All of the personal items that I used to have on my desk will no longer fit.  I won't even get into the fact that the furniture is just a piece of [BLEEP] and really cheap.  Well, I guess I just did.  And the chairs are incredibly uncomfortable...and here's that word again...cheap.  But hey...that's the way the home office of the new owners does it in Mexico so it's good enough for us. 

Besides the fact that it sucks....it sucks.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-02-2019, 09:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Well, the beauty of the game is the complexity, but if you really want to improve try notating the game, then going back and replaying from the opening.  Alternatively, try playing two games simultaneously, one as black and one as white.  Copy the computer's white opening move as your white and take the second game's (black) move back as your black move.  Now you have the computer playing itself.  Watch and learn.

Yes, I know, it's at the point where, in order to improve, I will have to work at it.   It's sort of like my golf game.   I got better to a point, and then, I had to work harder and harder to improve more and more slowly until I settled into a constant 10 over par level with the occasional sub-80 round.   And that's what tells me, my ability is limited.   I still love it, though.   It's very addictive.

Have you ever tried playing in a competitive format, like a USCF event?  Good place/way to learn and it forces you to be more disciplined about your play.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-05-2019, 07:45 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 09:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Yes, I know, it's at the point where, in order to improve, I will have to work at it.   It's sort of like my golf game.   I got better to a point, and then, I had to work harder and harder to improve more and more slowly until I settled into a constant 10 over par level with the occasional sub-80 round.   And that's what tells me, my ability is limited.   I still love it, though.   It's very addictive.

Have you ever tried playing in a competitive format, like a USCF event?  Good place/way to learn and it forces you to be more disciplined about your play.

That's probably a good idea.  I tend to have letdowns against the computer, probably because I can always just resign and start another game.  I beat it the other day on level 6, but it was after I drank an energy drink, so I was pretty wired.  Computers don't lose focus, they play at a consistent level, and they are very good at refuting a sloppy or unsound attack.   It's hard to beat a computer when your mind is lazy and undisciplined like mine is.

When you buy one or two items at the store and the receipt is almost 3ft long. Printing the receipt takes almost as long as the transaction. Can I get a separate bag for the receipt?

(04-19-2019, 07:44 AM)Jags Wrote: When you buy one or two items  at the store and the receipt is almost 3ft long.  Printing the receipt takes almost as long as the transaction.  Can I get a separate bag for the receipt?

[Image: a74.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM by Jags.)

That’s precisely where I was at.

(04-19-2019, 09:58 AM)Jags Wrote: That’s precisely where I was at.

You still get receipts?? I don't think I've got a receipt for something for about 3 years!
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(04-19-2019, 04:17 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 09:58 AM)Jags Wrote: That’s precisely where I was at.

You still get receipts?? I don't think I've got a receipt for something for about 3 years!

No receipts in England?

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 05:27 PM by DarloJAG84.)

(04-19-2019, 05:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 04:17 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: You still get receipts?? I don't think I've got a receipt for something for about 3 years!

No receipts in England?

Most things I purchase are under £30 so I go 'contactless' with that you don't get a receipt as standard (just a notification on your phone if you use Apple/Google Pay).

Other than that, I turn down the offer of a receipt unless it's a purchase I may need to return.. What I mean is that generally, most places I buy things you have to actually request a receipt if you want one.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(04-19-2019, 05:22 PM)DarloJAG84 Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 05:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: No receipts in England?

Most things I purchase are under £30 so I go 'contactless' with that you don't get a receipt as standard (just a notification on your phone if you use Apple/Google Pay).

Other than that, I turn down the offer of a receipt unless it's a purchase I may need to return.. What I mean is that generally, most places I buy things you have to actually request a receipt if you want one.

We're headed that direction here but the place brought up here prints coupons on their receipts and there's no option to decline.