Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags' Campbell, Jack support Telvin Smith's decision

Jags' Campbell, Jack support Telvin Smith's decision

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...s-decision

In wake of Telvin Smith announcing he's sitting out the 2019 season, Calais Campbell and Myles Jack spoke about their recent communication with the linebacker and their unbridled support of their Jaguars

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they've talked to him then i have 100% faith, he has spoken to someone higher up about this. If Players can call a player and see whats up, i dont know the rules of the cba, but coaches have probably reached out too and just cant speak on it.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

It's a start.

I still think he owes the Jags staff a phone call and clear explanation of why he needs time away. Especially if he has any desire to be welcomed back. He's made that possibility a difficult one as things stand.

Hope he gets his head and whatever else may be wrong in his life sorted out.

Everyone should support Telvin 's decision to step away from the game in 2019. He has an issue that's BIGGER than football and some fans cannot understand his reasoning while bashing him for making his decision. Whether Telvin plays another down in the NFL remains to be seen, until then I too support his decision while wishing him well during this process.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-15-2019, 09:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's a start.

I still think he owes the Jags staff a phone call and clear explanation of why he needs time away.  Especially if he has any desire to be welcomed back. He's made that possibility a difficult one as things stand.

Do you think a year off, at his age, will help him in the long run.  I just feel like NFL careers are short enough already and he's, more than likely, hurting himself more than helping.
Season Tix, Section 409

(05-15-2019, 11:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

I still think he owes the Jags staff a phone call and clear explanation of why he needs time away.  Especially if he has any desire to be welcomed back. He's made that possibility a difficult one as things stand.

Do you think a year off, at his age, will help him in the long run.  I just feel like NFL careers are short enough already and he's, more than likely, hurting himself more than helping.

He's definitely hurting his career on multiple levels, age being a factor.  But if he does indeed have a legit reason to need the time, then you gotta' do what you gotta' do. 

Unfortunately we may never know how legit or not his reasons really are. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, personally.

(05-15-2019, 11:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 11:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Do you think a year off, at his age, will help him in the long run.  I just feel like NFL careers are short enough already and he's, more than likely, hurting himself more than helping.

He's definitely hurting his career on multiple levels, age being a factor.  But if he does indeed have a legit reason to need the time, then you gotta' do what you gotta' do. 

Unfortunately we may never know how legit or not his reasons really are. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, personally.

Yea i understand that.  He doesnt owe fans an explanation but i at least need a coach, Caldwell, or Coughlin to give a go ahead to him taking time off officially.  Now its just like no one knows anything but the players are cool with it.  I feel its like, your friends know but the boss is clueless.
Season Tix, Section 409

In a way (and I know many will disagree with this) you could argue that Telvin has actually done the team a solid by announcing that he won't play this season. If he knows his mind/body/whatever is not up to the task, then he had a difficult decision to make; turn up and get paid knowing you aren't 100%, weakening the team, or announce early that he's not right, let the team make contingency plans (including saving the cap money) and move on without him. The worst scenario would've been a troubled Telvin turning up and doing just enough to get paid... At least this way the team has time to mitigate for his loss. Could've been handled better either way, I suppose.

(05-15-2019, 12:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote: In a way (and I know many will disagree with this) you could argue that Telvin has actually done the team a solid by announcing that he won't play this season. If he knows his mind/body/whatever is not up to the task, then he had a difficult decision to make; turn up and get paid knowing you aren't 100%, weakening the team, or announce early that he's not right, let the team make contingency plans (including saving the cap money) and move on without him. The worst scenario would've been a troubled Telvin turning up and doing just enough to get paid... At least this way the team has time to mitigate for his loss. Could've been handled better either way, I suppose.

It could work out this way. 

Especially if Quincy Williams proves a viable starter on the weak side right away or fairly early in the season.

I dont have a dog in this fight, so I don't care if he plays this year or not. I do respect the fact he flat out said hes not, which DOES free up some cap room. When Telvin went all dark, apparently the team could tell something wasn't right and did their diligence in finding a possibly replacement (Williams). They also hedged the bets by bringing in a BUTT LOAD of FA LBs. Hopefully he gets his mind, heart, or soul right and comes back. If not, thanks for 5 years, 9 picks, and 4 TDs.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

There's a whole lot of players (and there always will be) who have have known that they can't do it at the highest level anymore but still turn up to cash that paycheck.

As I have said before, I think this whole "Telvin Smith drama" has been blown way out of proportion.  The man wants to take the year off to take care of himself as well as his family.  The fans, the team, the game, the money... that's not what is important to him right now and I respect that.  It looks to me that what is most important to him is himself and his family.  There is nothing wrong with that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-15-2019, 02:57 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I have said before, I think this whole "Telvin Smith drama" has been blown way out of proportion.  The man wants to take the year off to take care of himself as well as his family.  The fans, the team, the game, the money... that's not what is important to him right now and I respect that.  It looks to me that what is most important to him is himself and his family.  There is nothing wrong with that.

So, if someone invests heavily in you,  and you sign a contract committing to provide the contractual services, it's ok to just walk away?

If that's ok, then I hope Nick Foles, Calais Campbell, Jaylen Ramsey, and Fournette all decide to do the same thing this year since it's ok to do so.  I mean, what's it really matter.  It's just a game.  Screw the investors.

(05-15-2019, 03:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 02:57 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I have said before, I think this whole "Telvin Smith drama" has been blown way out of proportion.  The man wants to take the year off to take care of himself as well as his family.  The fans, the team, the game, the money... that's not what is important to him right now and I respect that.  It looks to me that what is most important to him is himself and his family.  There is nothing wrong with that.

So, if someone invests heavily in you,  and you sign a contract committing to provide the contractual services, it's ok to just walk away?

If that's ok, then I hope Nick Foles, Calais Campbell, Jaylen Ramsey, and Fournette all decide to do the same thing this year since it's ok to do so.  I mean, what's it really matter.  It's just a game.  Screw the investors.

There are plenty of Season Ticket Holders who invest yearly and plenty of fans who buy merch.  I can respect if he has an issue and wants to call it quits...for now.  I will be happier, if its a permanent thing, or it comes out that it was something serious.  If its something minor i'm p/o'd hands down.  Lets wait and see and then act however once it comes out.  Speculating and making any final judgements is too much rn.  If its serious then cool, if not then fire him.
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 04:10 PM by Jagwired.)

Poz would be ashamed of Telvins professionalism or lack thereof.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(05-15-2019, 11:37 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

If the game is contributing to any off-field factors that affect his well-being, or the well-being of others around him, that is profoundly not the case.

When you come to a decision today that you need to stay away for a full year, minimum, it's likely that "the long run" is looking at much more than playing linebacker in the NFL.

(05-15-2019, 03:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

So if my family is in crisis, or I see them headed toward crisis, I'mma tell them to sit and chill while I play out my contract, because team and investors come first. It's just family. They'll always be there.

Won't they?

not a social media junky but heard, from a co-worker(steelers fan), Telvin said stay out of his business on his social media. So apparently he is trying to keep this on the low, but now its blowing up huge due to him being so vocal about people staying out of his affairs.
Season Tix, Section 409

I don't get the angst and anger, really. The guy has an issue to deal with, but some think he should ignore that because he's beholded to the team and fans somehow. I think some people are too emotionally invested into what's really just a game.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(05-15-2019, 12:16 PM)JagJohn Wrote: In a way (and I know many will disagree with this) you could argue that Telvin has actually done the team a solid by announcing that he won't play this season. If he knows his mind/body/whatever is not up to the task, then he had a difficult decision to make; turn up and get paid knowing you aren't 100%, weakening the team, or announce early that he's not right, let the team make contingency plans (including saving the cap money) and move on without him. The worst scenario would've been a troubled Telvin turning up and doing just enough to get paid... At least this way the team has time to mitigate for his loss. Could've been handled better either way, I suppose.

The only way he could have done the team a solid is if he let them know ahead of the draft AND he’s not trying to keep any 2019 guarantees in his salary.  

It’s possible he did let them know and just allowed the team to play ignorant during the draft so as to not tip their hand that they needed LB help bad. The Quincy Williams pick could be evidence of such if they decide to play him at LB.  I believe he was listed as a safety on draft night.  

I can’t imagine he’ll be able to keep any guarantees for 2019. I think his contract will treat this year as if it didn’t happen and just pick up next year as if he’s back under this year’s salary number and cap hit.