Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kindergarten and Middle School Graduations

What are peoples thoughts on kindergarten and middle school graduations? Personally, I had neither growing up.

Personally, I think they are a joke and are just another extension of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of our society.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It’s cute for Kindergarteners, senseless for middle schoolers. Brent Martineau was talking on his show about attending middle school graduation ceremonies for his two children. He was withholding harsh judgement but you could tell it was something he believed was eye rolling. Especially given the fact that the school and some parents want to treat it with all the pomp and circumstance (expense) of a high school graduation. Yeah, no.

(05-29-2019, 08:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s cute for Kindergarteners, senseless for middle schoolers. Brent Martineau was talking on his show about attending middle school graduation ceremonies for his two children. He was withholding harsh judgement but you could tell it was something he believed was eye rolling. Especially given the fact that the school and some parents want to treat it with all the pomp and circumstance (expense) of a high school graduation. Yeah, no.

I can be sold on the K graduation due to the "cuteness", but any other graduation cheapens the meaning of a high school graduation IMO.

my son did VPK at a preschool, and they had a ceremony, but I understood that some of those kids had been at the preschool for several years of daycare, and were now moving on to 'big kid school'. Eye roll, sure, but let the kids have something to celebrate.

I think it's terribly inane, but if that's the only time a parent applauds their kid, or recognizes the teachers responsible for their child's success, can you really say it's detrimental? I'm not going to pay for caps, gowns, or any excessive materials to say "Hooray, you get to go do the same thing in a different building next year!", but if you want to do that for your kid, have a blast.

And yes, when HS graduation happens, or college if that's in the plans, we are going to be loud and obnoxious when our kid's name is called. I earned that opportunity, and I enjoy embarrassing my kids!

(05-29-2019, 09:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 08:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It’s cute for Kindergarteners, senseless for middle schoolers. Brent Martineau was talking on his show about attending middle school graduation ceremonies for his two children. He was withholding harsh judgement but you could tell it was something he believed was eye rolling. Especially given the fact that the school and some parents want to treat it with all the pomp and circumstance (expense) of a high school graduation. Yeah, no.

I can be sold on the K graduation due to the "cuteness", but any other graduation cheapens the meaning of a high school graduation IMO.
Lol It really doesn't cheapen anything.

In my county (Montgomery County in Maryland), they do 5th grade promotion and high school graduation. I really wouldn't mind if they did middle school or Kindergarten because for some kids, it was extremely difficult for them to pass and they should feel proud. Why is it a bad thing to show how proud you are as a parent and as a school for these students?

And the reason we ask for parents to hold their applause (which no one really ever does and it's understandable) is because it would take forever if we had to wait for every single parent to stop screaming before we read the next name and because parents who are next in line might not hear their kids name being called. I'm all for embarrassing my kids but I wouldn't do it if it meant the next parents couldn't hear their childs name being called.

This just seems like a really odd thing to complain about and if I'm not mistaken, don't you home school your kids?

(05-29-2019, 10:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 09:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I can be sold on the K graduation due to the "cuteness", but any other graduation cheapens the meaning of a high school graduation IMO.
Lol It really doesn't cheapen anything.

In my county (Montgomery County in Maryland), they do 5th grade promotion and high school graduation. I really wouldn't mind if they did middle school or Kindergarten because for some kids, it was extremely difficult for them to pass and they should feel proud. Why is it a bad thing to show how proud you are as a parent and as a school for these students?

And the reason we ask for parents to hold their applause (which no one really ever does and it's understandable) is because it would take forever if we had to wait for every single parent to stop screaming before we read the next name and because parents who are next in line might not hear their kids name being called. I'm all for embarrassing my kids but I wouldn't do it if it meant the next parents couldn't hear their childs name being called.

This just seems like a really odd thing to complain about and if I'm not mistaken, don't you home school your kids?

I don't oppose graduations or applause etiquette for them. I just don't think it takes a K or middle school graduation to show how proud you are as a parent.

My kids aren't home schooled.

(05-29-2019, 10:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 10:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol It really doesn't cheapen anything.

I don't oppose graduations or applause etiquette for them. I just don't think it takes a K or middle school graduation to show how proud you are as a parent.

My kids aren't home schooled.
There are certainly many ways to show how proud you are but there's something to be said for having your name heard and recognized by your school. They don't do it for every single grade and I have never really heard about it for middle school.

I agree that some kids get a trophy for just about anything but for some kids, they need that positive reinforcement to help motivate them. Everyone is motivated differently. If one kids loses, it will motivate him or her to try harder next time. Another kid sees that loss and never really wants to try again for fear of failure and embarrassment. It's all about understanding each kids needs and trying to help put them in the best situation possible. If having a 5th grade promotion helps motivate a poor student to continue doing well in school, then let's keep it up. 

I don't see this as being similar to receiving a trophy for 9th place in baseball at all. It's completely different.

The only graduations I had were high school and boot camp/AIT. They are the only ones that would have meant something to me if I'd had more, like kindergarten and middle school. 

Being as I'm not raising any kids it's not something I have to think about.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 05:46 AM by Jags.)

Call me crazy, but I don’t even think high school is really all that much of an accomplishment.  I get it, but for the most part, as long as you’re not a complete [BLEEP] up you should complete high school.  I think a better accomplishment is getting a college degree.  I don’t have a college degree. So I’m not just saying that to downplay the HS diploma.

Edit;  I know there are exceptions...

(05-29-2019, 09:46 AM)Mikey Wrote: my son did VPK at a preschool, and they had a ceremony, but I understood that some of those kids had been at the preschool for several years of daycare, and were now moving on to 'big kid school'. Eye roll, sure, but let the kids have something to celebrate.

I think it's terribly inane, but if that's the only time a parent applauds their kid, or recognizes the teachers responsible for their child's success, can you really say it's detrimental? I'm not going to pay for caps, gowns, or any excessive materials to say "Hooray, you get to go do the same thing in a different building next year!", but if you want to do that for your kid, have a blast.

And yes, when HS graduation happens, or college if that's in the plans, we are going to be loud and obnoxious when our kid's name is called. I earned that opportunity, and I enjoy embarrassing my kids!

Take cash for bail, you'll need it when the cop arrests you.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I didn't get to do it so therefore I think it's stupid! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

(05-30-2019, 08:54 AM)DragonFury Wrote: I didn't get to do it so therefore I think it's stupid! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Finally found the one kid who failed kindergarten!   Big Grin

(05-30-2019, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 08:54 AM)DragonFury Wrote: I didn't get to do it so therefore I think it's stupid! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

That teacher was out to get me!

(05-30-2019, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I didn't technically fail kindergarten, but due to a badly broken leg I missed the last three months and was never officially promoted. I've been behind the rest of my life, but for totally unrelated reasons.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(05-29-2019, 07:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What are peoples thoughts on kindergarten and middle school graduations? Personally, I had neither growing up.

Personally, I think they are a joke and are just another extension of the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality of our society.

I had to sit for a moment to take stock in myself, because partially I agree with you on this. Here the elementary schools are K through 8, the unfortunate truth is getting through 8 grades is quite an accomplishment for many of the kids, as it was for their parents, and may be the pinnacle of their academic career. For others it's a rare opportunity for attention. They even have an 8th grade prom with all the pomp and silliness of the high school version.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

A middle school prom is insane...

K graduation was cute. Other than that meh. Call me when he graduates.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(05-30-2019, 12:09 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 07:37 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What are peoples thoughts on kindergarten and middle school graduations? Personally, I had neither growing up.

I had to sit for a moment to take stock in myself, because partially I agree with you on this. Here the elementary schools are K through 8, the unfortunate truth is getting through 8 grades is quite an accomplishment for many of the kids, as it was for their parents, and may be the pinnacle of their academic career. For others it's a rare opportunity for attention. They even have an 8th grade prom with all the pomp and silliness of the high school version.

Regarding the part in bold... that actually gave me a bit of a chuckle.

As far as kindergarten and middle school graduations; they didn't exist when I was in school, and I somewhat agree with the "everybody gets a trophy" sentiment.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I didn’t go to kindergarten because it was not required in Kentucky at the time. However, I did vomit in the hallway on my first day of first grade. As the class was going to lunch, too.
*fist pump*

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 02:48 PM by Caldrac.)

Waste of time. Another issue I noticed growing up towards the later end of my high school run with my two younger brothers was the early release days every other week on Wednesday's. Now I think it's EVERY Wednesday.

They still do it now for most schools. Which is a burden on most parents who have to work full time. You're expected to pick them up around 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM give or take I believe or it puts some type of financial burden on you by forcing you into paying for extended day care or finding a sitter, etc.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-30-2019, 02:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Waste of time. Another issue I noticed growing up towards the later end of my high school run with my two younger brothers was the early release days every other week on Wednesday's. Now I think it's EVERY Wednesday.

They still do it now for most schools. Which is a burden on most parents who have to work full time. You're expected to pick them up around 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM give or take I believe or it puts some type of financial burden on you by forcing you into paying for extended day care or finding a sitter, etc.
I have never heard of all those half days.

Where do you live?