Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

Life was so much easier with Gene Smith. Just draft players that suck and you never have to worry about contract disputes entering their 2nd contract. They usually just leave in attempt to give it 2nd shot as a backup with another team then depart the NFL within a year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-11-2019, 09:41 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Life was so much easier with Gene Smith.  Just draft players that suck and you never have to worry about contract disputes entering their 2nd contract.  They usually just leave in attempt to give it 2nd shot as a backup with another team then depart the NFL within a year.

Agreed. Having too much talent and not enough cap space to retain them all is a good problem to have in the NFL. If you can't keep them at least try to trade them off for future replacements though. I still think they'll ultimately get a deal done with Ngakoue and figure out a way to keep Ramsey.

If that means losing Campbell, Bouye, Jack, Dareus, Smith & potentially Linder or Norwell on offense? So be it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-11-2019, 08:58 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Yes, Ngakoue is out-performing his rookie contract, which is why he should get paid ultra-handsomely when his contract ends.

To this I Concur, BUT if we wait for his contract to play out, we'll be in an bidding war to retain his services. He needs to be signed prior to training camp to say the least. I'm confident that the contract will get done but it'll come at an cost that going to continue stressing our salary cap.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-11-2019, 09:16 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 08:51 AM)mikesez Wrote: Can't the Jags just give him a bonus for this year? That way they could still use the franchise tag on Yan in 2020?
Or is that not how it works?

Personally I'd put a higher priority on keeping Yan than Ramsey, even if it costs more money.

I am fine with seeing Jalen in a different uniform, if it means we get to keep Yannick.

The bonus thing is patently not how it works. Yan (and the team) are bound by the rookie deal he signed as a 3rd rounder. Any changes to that deal would be a new contract, and I will eat my shoe if he agrees to only a bonus for this season.

A deal will get done. The sky is not falling. I don't blame him for wanting to avoid any potential injury before the deal is inked.

Right, any changes would be a new contract.
Usually, teams want to offer players more money and more years at the same time.
But if the Jaguars offered Yan a new contract that was just for one year, but for a lot more money than his current contract, that still leaves him better off than he is now.
And then the team could still use the Franchise Tag as a negotiating tool after this year.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-10-2019, 03:17 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 02:45 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Just waiting on Jalen Ramsey to do the same now.

He will next year. They can't extend Ramsey until after year 4.

That's not true. They can extend Ramsey after year 3, which is now. Not saying they will or should, but they can.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 10:57 AM by Upper.)

Let's not look at it as total overall dollars, let's look at it as a % of the salary cap. I think that makes it easier to relate. If we could get Yan to agree to a deal in the 10-11% range of the salary cap I would sign him right now I think he's earned that. If he's pushing for the 12%+ like Watt, Von, and Mack got then I think we might have to play some more hardball. I'd like to see this tweet updated with Lawrence, Clark, and Ford's contracts included though, maybe that would skew my opinion a little.

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/...1054433280

(06-11-2019, 09:29 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’ve never understood the idea that this is just part of the business. He signed the contract, and he should fulfill the contract. I know why he’s doing it. I just don’t agree with it. I love Yannick, so I hope they sign him to a long term deal. But, with Josh Allen, and the rest of the talent on the DL, I’m not sure he has any leverage in this situation.
You should remember that next time you ask for a raise....

Sports are a completely different animal when it comes to contracts. One thing the NFL should do (but they never will because the owners are greedy) is have arbitration like in baseball. If you outperform your contract, you should be able to negotiate.

(06-11-2019, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 09:29 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’ve never understood the idea that this is just part of the business. He signed the contract, and he should fulfill the contract. I know why he’s doing it. I just don’t agree with it. I love Yannick, so I hope they sign him to a long term deal. But, with Josh Allen, and the rest of the talent on the DL, I’m not sure he has any leverage in this situation.

Sports are a completely different animal when it comes to contracts. One thing the NFL should do (but they never will because the owners are greedy) is have arbitration like in baseball. If you outperform your contract, you should be able to negotiate.

Or the next time the Jags cut a player who has been underperforming. Does he want that standard applied to deals the Jags signed and players aren't living up to also? If so, then ok at least the logic is consistent...but I highly doubt it.

When is Bortles' salary off the books? Also, can't we use the money from Telvin Smith (this year) to get something done for Yan?

I'd rather cut Lee than Linder.

(06-11-2019, 11:27 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: When is Bortles' salary off the books? Also, can't we use the money from Telvin Smith (this year) to get something done for Yan?

I'd rather cut Lee than Linder.

Bortles money still affects the current year's cap.
It will not affect the cap next year IIRC.

The Lee and Linder potential cuts are a discussion for next offseason. Not now.
There's almost no way Lee isn't cut after this season. His contract is set up that way. 
If Linder doesn't stay healthy this year - they should look to draft a center IMO. 
He's great when he's 100%, but that isn't quite often enough to justify his cost. 

Telvin's money is a good question, but I'm pretty sure they can't remove it from the cap figures until much closer to the season. Maybe around final camp cuts?  
Perhaps someone else knows better than I do here?

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM by Caldrac.)

(06-11-2019, 10:56 AM)Upper Wrote: Let's not look at it as total overall dollars, let's look at it as a % of the salary cap. I think that makes it easier to relate. If we could get Yan to agree to a deal in the 10-11% range of the salary cap I would sign him right now I think he's earned that. If he's pushing for the 12%+ like Watt, Von, and Mack got then I think we might have to play some more hardball. I'd like to see this tweet updated with Lawrence, Clark, and Ford's contracts included though, maybe that would skew my opinion a little.

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/...1054433280

I disagree with the bold statement above. If anyone deserves that kind of percentage on this team it would be Calais Campbell at that position. Not Yannick Ngakoue. He's good. Don't get me wrong. But he's nowhere NEAR as impactful as J.J Watt, Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald and Von Miller have been in the NFL.

If they want to get him in that 8.0% - 9.5% range and lay some incentive carrots into his contract that pushes beyond 10.0 sacks per season, etc. then that's fine by me. But he shouldn't be getting anything more than that until you can attribute an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award or two to his name. 

I would pump the breaks right at that discussion point if his agent even tries to pull some [BLEEP] like that at the table. No thanks.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-11-2019, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Is asking for a raise synonymous with not showing up to work?

I know sports are different. I’m not comparing his job to mine. 

(06-11-2019, 11:00 AM)Upper Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You should remember that next time you ask for a raise....

Or the next time the Jags cut a player who has been underperforming. Does he want that standard applied to deals the Jags signed and players aren't living up to also? If so, then ok at least the logic is consistent...but I highly doubt it.

Cutting players isn’t a violation of the contract. Teams are allowed to do that. I’m not sure why you’re comparing that. Yannick not showing up to mandatory practices is a violation, so he’ll likely get fined for it. 

I don’t care if he’s asking for a raise because he deserves it. I have a problem with not following the contract you signed because you don’t like it now.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM by mikesez.)

(06-11-2019, 12:15 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 11:00 AM)Upper Wrote: Or the next time the Jags cut a player who has been underperforming. Does he want that standard applied to deals the Jags signed and players aren't living up to also? If so, then ok at least the logic is consistent...but I highly doubt it.

Cutting players isn’t a violation of the contract. Teams are allowed to do that. I’m not sure why you’re comparing that. Yannick not showing up to mandatory practices is a violation, so he’ll likely get fined for it. 

I don’t care if he’s asking for a raise because he deserves it. I have a problem with not following the contract you signed because you don’t like it now.

The owners, and the players, and the fans, all have more important things to worry about than if a piece of paper got "violated."
The contract explains what will be paid out as services are rendered over a course of years. If services are not rendered, the payouts change. There is no honor or dishonor here. This is not like a marriage. It's not even like a mortgage.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-11-2019, 12:15 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 10:57 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You should remember that next time you ask for a raise....

Is asking for a raise synonymous with not showing up to work?

(06-11-2019, 11:00 AM)Upper Wrote: Or the next time the Jags cut a player who has been underperforming. Does he want that standard applied to deals the Jags signed and players aren't living up to also? If so, then ok at least the logic is consistent...but I highly doubt it.

But he is fullfilling the contract by being fined. 
The fines are a part of the contract. Yan is doing what he can within the structure of the contract. Its the same as a team cutting a player and being "fined" by dead cap.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2019, 12:45 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(06-11-2019, 12:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:15 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Cutting players isn’t a violation of the contract. Teams are allowed to do that. I’m not sure why you’re comparing that. Yannick not showing up to mandatory practices is a violation, so he’ll likely get fined for it. 

The owners, and the players, and the fans, all have more important things to worry about than if a piece of paper got "violated."
The contract explains what will be paid out as services are rendered over a course of years. If services are not rendered, the payouts change. There is no honor or dishonor here. This is not like a marriage. It's not even like a mortgage.

This is a contract that stipulates how much a player will be compensated for his services. No matter how much you may want to diminish that, it is a contract very much like any other. If Yannick doesn’t provide those services, he may be sued (admittedly unlikely). It has happened to other players. 

I think you, and others, may believe I take this more seriously than I do. I don’t think this makes Yannick a bad person, and I don’t care as much as some may believe. I just don’t understand the mindset players have where they believe that not showing up to work shouldn’t inspire a team to hand them more money.

(06-11-2019, 12:34 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:15 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Is asking for a raise synonymous with not showing up to work?

But he is fullfilling the contract by being fined. 
The fines are a part of the contract. Yan is doing what he can within the structure of the contract. Its the same as a team cutting a player and being "fined" by dead cap.

Being fined isn’t fulfilling the contract. That’s a result of not fulfilling it. They’re mandatory practices. The contract presumably requires the player to attend or else be fined. That’s like saying a player is fulfilling a contract the day after signing his contract because any consequence of that is stipulated in it.

(06-11-2019, 12:41 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: The owners, and the players, and the fans, all have more important things to worry about than if a piece of paper got "violated."

This is a contract that stipulates how much a player will be compensated for his services. No matter how much you may want to diminish that, it is a contract very much like any other. If Yannick doesn’t provide those services, he may be sued (admittedly unlikely). It has happened to other players. 

I think you, and others, may believe I take this more seriously than I do. I don’t think this makes Yannick a bad person, and I don’t care as much as some may believe. I just don’t understand the mindset players have where they believe that not showing up to work shouldn’t inspire a team to hand them more money.
What other leverage do they have?

The only leverage they can use is their services.

Show up for work.
Get hurt.
Lose millions.

Great business strategy.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available