Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(06-08-2019, 01:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My 16-year-old builder's grade AC finally gave up the ghost last evening. A new one goes in Monday morning. It looks like two more nights of sleeping with the fans. It's actually not so bad. I grew up and then lived 4 years in the Philippines without it. But, oh, it will be glorious to have it back. Plus, it will help my wallet cry itself to sleep.

For years, our AC kept cutting out on the hottest days.  We’ve had technicians out on multiple occasions.  No one could find an issue because it kept working before they showed up or while they were there.  Our AC was getting old we had enough.  The next time it happened we just had it all replaced.  A few months later, it happened again.  A brand new ac acting up!  Surely it’s not the new ac right?  I poked around and for the first time in 8 or so years of owning the house,I noticed this box on my garage wall.  Had a few lights.  Indicated power to the ac was off.  I called FPL  Turns out, we were on some stupid program were we agreed to have it turned off during periods of unusually high power demands.  We’re no longer on that program.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

People with noses you can see straight up. Regardless of whether they’re looking straight ahead or you’re a foot taller than them. For some reason that just gets me. I was in Best Buy and this kid looked straight from whoville. I say kid but he was probably 20.

(06-07-2019, 03:32 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 01:26 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: That ain’t no lie. Women must have thigh muscles of spring steel.

I could crack a walnut! Wink

With that much inward pressure they probably don't spread apart very often.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-08-2019, 02:54 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 01:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My 16-year-old builder's grade AC finally gave up the ghost last evening. A new one goes in Monday morning. It looks like two more nights of sleeping with the fans. It's actually not so bad. I grew up and then lived 4 years in the Philippines without it. But, oh, it will be glorious to have it back. Plus, it will help my wallet cry itself to sleep.

For years, our AC kept cutting out on the hottest days.  We’ve had technicians out on multiple occasions.  No one could find an issue because it kept working before they showed up or while they were there.  Our AC was getting old we had enough.  The next time it happened we just had it all replaced.  A few months later, it happened again.  A brand new ac acting up!  Surely it’s not the new ac right?  I poked around and for the first time in 8 or so years of owning the house,I noticed this box on my garage wall.  Had a few lights.  Indicated power to the ac was off.  I called FPL  Turns out, we were on some stupid program were we agreed to have it turned off during periods of unusually high power demands.  We’re no longer on that program.

Why would anyone ever agree to something like that?

Within the last week I've had to sign in to this message board to comment (and to have the threads I've read unbolded). Is this a problem with the Message Board, or with Chrome?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-09-2019, 04:31 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Within the last week I've had to sign in to this message board to comment (and to have the threads I've read unbolded). Is this a problem with the Message Board, or with Chrome?

Check your Chrome privacy settings, it sounds like a cookies issue or you have it marked to not keep you signed into websites.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-09-2019, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 02:54 PM)Jags Wrote: For years, our AC kept cutting out on the hottest days.  We’ve had technicians out on multiple occasions.  No one could find an issue because it kept working before they showed up or while they were there.  Our AC was getting old we had enough.  The next time it happened we just had it all replaced.  A few months later, it happened again.  A brand new ac acting up!  Surely it’s not the new ac right?  I poked around and for the first time in 8 or so years of owning the house,I noticed this box on my garage wall.  Had a few lights.  Indicated power to the ac was off.  I called FPL  Turns out, we were on some stupid program were we agreed to have it turned off during periods of unusually high power demands.  We’re no longer on that program.

I have no idea.  I don’t know if it was ‘tied’ to the house after we bought it or if it as some discreet option/discount we overlooked.  Wasn’t our intention.  Either way, once I found that out, that was the end of that.

(06-09-2019, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 02:54 PM)Jags Wrote: For years, our AC kept cutting out on the hottest days.  We’ve had technicians out on multiple occasions.  No one could find an issue because it kept working before they showed up or while they were there.  Our AC was getting old we had enough.  The next time it happened we just had it all replaced.  A few months later, it happened again.  A brand new ac acting up!  Surely it’s not the new ac right?  I poked around and for the first time in 8 or so years of owning the house,I noticed this box on my garage wall.  Had a few lights.  Indicated power to the ac was off.  I called FPL  Turns out, we were on some stupid program were we agreed to have it turned off during periods of unusually high power demands.  We’re no longer on that program.

Slightly different beast but I irrigate my field on a program similar to that.

(06-10-2019, 02:29 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Why would anyone ever agree to something like that?

Slightly different beast but I irrigate my field on a program similar to that.

I sure hope hospitals aren't opted into this program with life support machines.

(06-09-2019, 04:45 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 04:31 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Within the last week I've had to sign in to this message board to comment (and to have the threads I've read unbolded). Is this a problem with the Message Board, or with Chrome?

Check your Chrome privacy settings, it sounds like a cookies issue or you have it marked to not keep you signed into websites.

After I logged in at the top (instead of when trying to reply) I saw that the "remember me" box was unchecked. Checking that fixed it. How it became unchecked is a mystery.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

When you have a summons for jury duty and can't make any plans until you know what you're showing up for. I've never had it so I don't know what to expect other than my FIL telling me it's a lot of waiting around in uncomfortable chairs with a bunch of strangers, but that's what a book is for. I have to call between 1200-1300hrs for my instructions. 

My husband thought it was hilarious that he was born and raised here and has never been called in and I've been here only 8 years and I got the letter. I told him it's because he's a Republican and I'm Libertarian and they want "fresh" blood.   Big Grin I have no idea how one gets selected for a summons so I'm pretty sure my political views have nothing to do with it but hey...... They do need fresh blood.

(06-10-2019, 11:14 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When you have a summons for jury duty and can't make any plans until you know what you're showing up for. I've never had it so I don't know what to expect other than my FIL telling me it's a lot of waiting around in uncomfortable chairs with a bunch of strangers, but that's what a book is for. I have to call between 1200-1300hrs for my instructions. 

My husband thought it was hilarious that he was born and raised here and has never been called in and I've been here only 8 years and I got the letter. I told him it's because he's a Republican and I'm Libertarian and they want "fresh" blood.   Big Grin I have no idea how one gets selected for a summons so I'm pretty sure my political views have nothing to do with it but hey...... They do need fresh blood.

More often then not, you can call in and find out your not needed.  If by chance you still need to go in, there are many ways not not get selected.  Just say the wrong things.  I won’t give the examples some family members have used.

(06-10-2019, 06:58 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 11:14 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: When you have a summons for jury duty and can't make any plans until you know what you're showing up for. I've never had it so I don't know what to expect other than my FIL telling me it's a lot of waiting around in uncomfortable chairs with a bunch of strangers, but that's what a book is for. I have to call between 1200-1300hrs for my instructions. 

More often then not, you can call in and find out your not needed.  If by chance you still need to go in, there are many ways not not get selected.  Just say the wrong things.  I won’t give the examples some family members have used.

I called at noon and the recorded message said to call after 6pm. That message told me I was released. Kind of bummed actually. After I psyched myself up for it I was excited to go through the process. I live in a small town though so I guess nothing was happening. If I did get called in and didn't like the vibe I was going to use my recovery from my September surgery as an excuse using colorful details of what losing just three inches of your sigmoid colon can do to your digestion. Specifically the back blast, if you know what I mean. it's not really an issue anymore but once in a while there can be issues.

The worst thing about being stuck behind slow as heck old people in the supermarket is knowing you'll the old person eventually. In about 30 years I'll be the dude who can't remember which eye the ocular implant is in and who still insists on paying with a card and PIN number.

When did debit cards become old-fashioned?

(06-24-2019, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: When did debit cards become old-fashioned?

When you join the Collective.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-24-2019, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 11:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: When did debit cards become old-fashioned?

When you join the Collective.

I work with people who still pay for everything with cash and write checks to bill collectors.

(06-24-2019, 01:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: When you join the Collective.

I work with people who still pay for everything with cash and write checks to bill collectors.

I thought everybody did that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-24-2019, 03:27 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I work with people who still pay for everything with cash and write checks to bill collectors.

I thought everybody did that.

Old person!!

[Image: don-suth.jpg]

(06-24-2019, 10:42 AM)DragonFury Wrote: The worst thing about being stuck behind slow as heck old people in the supermarket is knowing you'll the old person eventually. In about 30 years I'll be the dude who can't remember which eye the ocular implant is in and who still insists on paying with a card and PIN number.

What's worse?

Waiting for someone to insert a chip and press 7 keystrokes? 

Or - 

Waiting on some kid wildly flailing his apple watch in the general direction of a register 23 times and repeating "Did it read it yet?" over and over and over and over...