Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

(06-23-2019, 11:20 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I never said Calais wasn't a good to great player. I said he needs to go so our young players can be taken care of. Yall are putting words in my mouth. He is just eating up cap space while our drafted players deserve the money he's eating. He's not a Jaguar. He's a hired gun. Meanwhile Jalen and Yannick are and have been from the start.

Campbell is out best player and he isn't going anywhere this year.  Both of those players are under contract and can be taken care of later

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-23-2019, 11:20 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I never said Calais wasn't a good to great player. I said he needs to go so our young players can be taken care of. Yall are putting words in my mouth. He is just eating up cap space while our drafted players deserve the money he's eating. He's not a Jaguar. He's a hired gun. Meanwhile Jalen and Yannick are and have been from the start.

"Just eating up cap space?"  The man has been wreaking havoc on opposing offenses for us.  He's has his best years as a DE in Jacksonville.  He's bought in from day one and has worked his [BLEEP] off to make this team a winner and to bring the young guys along.  Get the [BLEEP] out of here with your nonsense.  I'm proud he's a Jaguar and he's of my favorites all time.

Calais deserves every last penny he's currently earning. He's easily one of the best LDEs in this league right now. 
'02

(06-24-2019, 01:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Calais deserves every last penny he's currently earning. He's easily one of the best LDEs in this league right now. 

He's one of the best defensive players in the league period

So just because the team didn't draft him he's "not a Jaguar"?  

Laughing

I thought I had seen it all.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wait...so Campbell ain’t a Jaguar? Where did that even come from?

He’s going into his 3rd year as a Jaguar. Why would you say he’s not a Jaguar?

How can you dislike someone who is outplaying his own contract.... that’s a weird angle ...

(06-24-2019, 10:21 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Wait...so Campbell ain’t a Jaguar? Where did that even come from?

He’s going into his 3rd year as a Jaguar. Why would you say he’s not a Jaguar?

Same poster recommended cutting Campbell this offseason. 
Don't expect much sense to come from that one.

(06-24-2019, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 01:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Calais deserves every last penny he's currently earning. He's easily one of the best LDEs in this league right now. 

He's one of the best defensive players in the league period

I mean, he's no Aaron Ross

(06-25-2019, 11:27 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's one of the best defensive players in the league period

I mean, he's no Aaron Ross

I mean. Who is really?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I see what setsuna is saying, but no. We have to let players like bouye, dareus, campbell, lee, etc., go by next year to sign our young stars. Only thing is, we need to hit in the draft to replace the players we release. If you havent been paying attention, our drafting has not been lights out each year, so thats not a sure bet to place. Just let the players play and worry about the cap later. I'm hoping yannick stays strong when campbell leaves since we let fowler walk. They cant stay together forever, but once our cornerstone(Calais) leaves, this D could be suspect if not properly retooled.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(06-25-2019, 01:01 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see what setsuna is saying, but no.  We have to let players like bouye, dareus, campbell, lee, etc., go by next year to sign our young stars.  Only thing is, we need to hit in the draft to replace the players we release.  If you havent been paying attention, our drafting has not been lights out each year, so thats not a sure bet to place.  Just let the players play and worry about the cap later.  I'm hoping yannick stays strong when campbell leaves since we let fowler walk.  They cant stay together forever, but once our cornerstone(Calais) leaves, this D could be suspect if not properly retooled.

Have you heard of a guy named Josh Allen? 
Just checking. 

Regarding the fear and loathing about re-signing our draft picks:
Let it go. 
The roster has nearly a dozen contracts structured to trim fat after this season. It's not going to be that hard to massage the cap room in 2020. The guys who need to be moved on from usually make themselves apparent with a drop in performance or an unfortunate injury. (see: Malik Jackson)

(06-25-2019, 01:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 01:01 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see what setsuna is saying, but no.  We have to let players like bouye, dareus, campbell, lee, etc., go by next year to sign our young stars.  Only thing is, we need to hit in the draft to replace the players we release.  If you havent been paying attention, our drafting has not been lights out each year, so thats not a sure bet to place.  Just let the players play and worry about the cap later.  I'm hoping yannick stays strong when campbell leaves since we let fowler walk.  They cant stay together forever, but once our cornerstone(Calais) leaves, this D could be suspect if not properly retooled.

Have you heard of a guy named Josh Allen? 
Just checking. 

Regarding the fear and loathing about re-signing our draft picks:
Let it go. 
The roster has nearly a dozen contracts structured to trim fat after this season. It's not going to be that hard to massage the cap room in 2020. The guys who need to be moved on from usually make themselves apparent with a drop in performance or an unfortunate injury. (see: Malik Jackson)
I understand where you are coming from.  I just know that Josh Allen is not going to sure up our LB core and we could actually lose Myles.  Hoping telvin will come back after an off year and sure up and OLB spot is not a guarantee so that means, 3 holes at LB, a hole at DT or NT or both, and a hole at CB2-4 and a S spot.  I mean, hopefully not, but in terms of hoping for the best, i see your point.  I'm hoping for good results, so im open to progress no matter the circumstance; but if not, we have huge holes to fill.  Do you want to access offense or just wait an see like im already doing.
Season Tix, Section 409

I fully understood what Setsuna00 is saying, Campbell will be 33 on September 1st, one or two more years of productions from him aren't worth potentially losing a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber player. Why is it that the Jaguars will freely spend on other team's players (Norwell, Church, Gipson, etc.) but under the current administration consistently made their draft picks play out the entirety of their contract before being extended? Successful organizations (i.e. Saints with Cameron Jordan and Eagles with Carson Wentz) have made resigning their own guys a priority even with multiple years remaining on their contracts. Doing so allows the team to pay below what the players would get in the open market and gives the players security. The Jaguars are a poorly run organization, they consistently overpay for mediocre players (Donte Moncrief & Nick Foles), have drafted poorly in the 1st round (Joeckel, Bortles, Fowler, and Taven Bryan) and want to play hardball with guys deserving of an extension. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

(06-25-2019, 04:45 PM)BringBackByron Wrote:

I fully understood what Setsuna00 is saying, Campbell will be 33 on September 1st, one or two more years of productions from him aren't worth potentially losing a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber player. Why is it that the Jaguars will freely spend on other team's players (Norwell, Church, Gipson, etc.) but under the current administration consistently made their draft picks play out the entirety of their contract before being extended? Successful organizations (i.e. Saints with Cameron Jordan and Eagles with Carson Wentz) have made resigning their own guys a priority even with multiple years remaining on their contracts. Doing so allows the team to pay below what the players would get in the open market and gives the players security. The Jaguars are a poorly run organization, they consistently overpay for mediocre players (Donte Moncrief & Nick Foles), have drafted poorly in the 1st round (Joeckel, Bortles, Fowler, and Taven Bryan) and want to play hardball with guys deserving of an extension. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

So after all of your babble I guess what you are saying is that free agents signed to a team don't deserve to be paid their contracts.  The money instead should be held to pay draft picks that happen to work out.  After all, free agents aren't "true Jaguars" they are "hired guns".  Draft picks should all be "perfect and pan out as planned".

Sorry, I would rather pay a free agent no matter what his age is if his production is worth it over signing guys on rookie contracts to lucrative deals.  Three out of the the four veteran free agents that the team signed that you mentioned have worked out pretty well (Campbell, Church, Gipson) and the fourth should pan out as well since he is one of the best at his position (Norwell).  Funny how you don't mention Bouye since he isn't a "homegrown" player, yet is one of our best players.

Here's a newsflash for you.  Draft picks don't always pan out and become "stars" or one of the best at their position in this league.  No team drafts ALL players that are good enough to earn a second contract with their initial team.  Many drafted players do end up in free agency and go on to other teams and become successful.  There are also those that are released and never play again while still under a rookie contract.

There is a balance between drafted rookies and free agents.  Successful teams have been successful getting free agents (other team's players) all the time.  Your example (the Eagles) won a Super Bowl with a quarterback that was a free agent (Nick Foles).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Is there a Chance the Jaguars want to see how Allen plays this season before giving Ngakoue an extension?

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(06-26-2019, 04:50 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Is there a Chance the Jaguars want to see how Allen plays this season before giving Ngakoue an extension?

No.  We have one DE(yann) and have to have a solid rusher on the other side.  We let fowler walk, so we absolutely CAN NOT let Yann go.  If we do that i'm taking a year off from this FO and their stupidity.

Edit: Campbell is not going to stay forever and will be gone in a year or luckily 2.
Season Tix, Section 409

(06-25-2019, 04:45 PM)BringBackByron Wrote:

The reasons you are wrong are twofold. 

A.  The Jags current highly paid free agent class all have contracts structured with "out clauses" that allow them to release those players with minimal to no dead money impact. 
Campbell, Bouye, Norwell, Foles, and  Hayden are ALL structured this way.  Campbell will be released to make room, but the proper timing to make that move is NEXT year. Not now. His impact on the field outweighs the current benefit of cutting him. Next year it likely becomes a necessity and he's unlikely to continue beating father time much longer anyway. Got to get the most bang for your buck from the player and his contract. That means keeping Campbell on the field in 2019.  

B. The Jags haven't had a significant number of homegrown draftees in need of resigning in a long, long time. Right now, they do have that happening. And that is a VERY GOOD problem to have. If means you've drafted well. 
There is absolutely no reason the Jags can't re-sign Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack (if he earns it this year) between now and September 2020 and fully expect they will do exactly that. They don't need to make cuts right now to re-sign those guys.

(06-26-2019, 09:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 04:45 PM)BringBackByron Wrote: I fully understood what Setsuna00 is saying, Campbell will be 33 on September 1st, one or two more years of productions from him aren't worth potentially losing a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber player. Why is it that the Jaguars will freely spend on other team's players (Norwell, Church, Gipson, etc.) but under the current administration consistently made their draft picks play out the entirety of their contract before being extended? Successful organizations (i.e. Saints with Cameron Jordan and Eagles with Carson Wentz) have made resigning their own guys a priority even with multiple years remaining on their contracts. Doing so allows the team to pay below what the players would get in the open market and gives the players security. The Jaguars are a poorly run organization, they consistently overpay for mediocre players (Donte Moncrief & Nick Foles), have drafted poorly in the 1st round (Joeckel, Bortles, Fowler, and Taven Bryan) and want to play hardball with guys deserving of an extension. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

The reasons you are wrong are twofold. 

A.  The Jags current highly paid free agent class all have contracts structured with "out clauses" that allow them to release those players with minimal to no dead money impact. 
Campbell, Bouye, Norwell, Foles, and  Hayden are ALL structured this way.  Campbell will be released to make room, but the proper timing to make that move is NEXT year. Not now. His impact on the field outweighs the current benefit of cutting him. Next year it likely becomes a necessity and he's unlikely to continue beating father time much longer anyway. Got to get the most bang for your buck from the player and his contract. That means keeping Campbell on the field in 2019.  

B. The Jags haven't had a significant number of homegrown draftees in need of resigning in a long, long time. Right now, they do have that happening. And that is a VERY GOOD problem to have. If means you've drafted well. 
There is absolutely no reason the Jags can't re-sign Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack (if he earns it this year) between now and September 2020 and fully expect they will do exactly that. They don't need to make cuts right now to re-sign those guys.

Question:  I like myles but see alot of posters are down on him.  Do you think we should at least keep him as an OLB, even if he doesn't light it up in the middle this year?
Season Tix, Section 409

(06-26-2019, 09:31 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 09:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The reasons you are wrong are twofold. 

Question:  I like myles but see alot of posters are down on him.  Do you think we should at least keep him as an OLB, even if he doesn't light it up in the middle this year?

His free agent market value will likely make that impossible financially. 

I think he will play better against the run this year and earn a large second contract with the Jaguars, but the Jags are wise to make sure he's going to take that next step.