Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver out with "significant" hamstring injury

(08-02-2019, 10:14 AM)Rico Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 10:04 AM)Upper Wrote: This will just bring expectations to where they should have been for the poor rookie TE. It was crazy how much people were expecting from him this season.

Exactly who was expecting crazy things from him?

You really have a tendency to exaggerate.

You did not read what I wrote correctly.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-02-2019, 10:30 AM)Upper Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 10:14 AM)Rico Wrote: Exactly who was expecting crazy things from him?

You really have a tendency to exaggerate.

You did not read what I wrote correctly.

No...I didn't.  I know exactly what you wrote and you were obviously stating that people were expecting too much from him, when all I see is people hoping he can be a good tight end.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Oh, c'mon! We haven't even had the first preseason game yet and key injuries are piling up.

Put a positive spin on it. These are just injury quotas. Hopefully we have no more.

(08-02-2019, 10:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: To be fair he looked like garbage anyway.

That would be a negative.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-02-2019, 10:04 AM)Upper Wrote: This will just bring expectations to where they should have been for the poor rookie TE. It was crazy how much people were expecting from him this season.

Expecting him to be one of the most productive rookie TEs given his situation wasn't unrealistic

The Jags did pretty well in 2017 without a good TE. I'm more worried about Quincy Williams. As for TE, we can probably find someone off the wire.

(08-02-2019, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...7233732609

Not good, one of the worst TE groups in the league got weaker

“Worst TE groups” 

LOL

You got that crystal ball all greased up on what Swaim will be with a new role in a new offense and a rookie’s first year all figured out in [BLEEP] August, huh? 

Laughable

New OC 
New offense 
A rookie at F 
A former #3 at primary Y
A cast of unknowns at H 

And with all those question marks, they are somehow identifiable as one of the worst. 
That’s a helluva stretch.

Ah dammit. That's going to be a blow. Hopefully we can get him back but the emphasis on significant doesn't sound good.

Someone get a keg and find Gronk.

(08-02-2019, 08:57 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Welp, 2018 season all over again.

Pretty much.

We’re not good enough on offense to overcome it.

(08-02-2019, 02:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 08:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...7233732609

Not good, one of the worst TE groups in the league got weaker

“Worst TE groups” 

LOL

You got that crystal ball all greased up on what Swaim will be with a new role in a new offense and a rookie’s first year all figured out in [BLEEP] August, huh? 

Laughable

New OC 
New offense 
A rookie at F 
A former #3 at primary Y
A cast of unknowns at H 

And with all those question marks, they are somehow identifiable as one of the worst. 
That’s a helluva stretch.

Yes relative to the strength of other TE rooms its one of the worst. You need to stop pretending like we can't take note of what our prognosis is at certain positions as things stand while also allowing that to change as the season goes on. We KNOW relative to other teams that our Dline room is one of the strongest in the league, how do we know this? Because we have better players there with better past production than most of the league

Its a helluva stretch to look at that position room and say anything other than " oh yeah we are definitely not strong in this area and could use more proven talent" while also acknowledging the season hasn't started yet (I'd have figured thats a given for any and all pre season analysis of our positions but maybe not).

(08-02-2019, 04:16 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 08:57 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Welp, 2018 season all over again.

Pretty much.

We’re not good enough on offense to overcome it.

They don’t need to go out and score 50 points a game. They just need to keep the game in reach so our defense can do its thing and give Foles a chance in the end.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I've decided we can no longer evaluate where we stand at any position group right now because we simply don't know what it will look like during the season!

(08-02-2019, 04:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: I've decided we can no longer evaluate where we stand at any position group right now because we simply don't know what it will look like during the season!

It’s not a difficult concept to grasp, Jack. Think about it. 

Calling it one of the worst is stupid, because you simply don’t know. 
It could be one of the worst, it could be middling, it could surprise people. 

One of the worst on paper? 
Sure, I guess. Maybe.
It just makes so little sense to try quantifying something so unknown. 

Calling it definitively one of the worst is dumb. It’s a negative assumption at worst and gross speculation at best. 

Identifying where our d line stands is a completely different animal due to consistency year to year  with players, coaching, scheme, and only a rotational rookie. 
All four of those factors are different this year at TE.

(08-02-2019, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 04:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: I've decided we can no longer evaluate where we stand at any position group right now because we simply don't know what it will look like during the season!

Sure, I guess. Maybe.
It’s just makes so little sense to try quantifying something so unknown. 

Calling it definitively one of the worst is dumb. It’s a negative assumption at worst and gross speculation at best. 

Identifying where our d line stands is a completely different animal due to consistency year to year  with players, coaching, scheme, and only a rotational rookie. 
All of those factors are different this year at TE.

I remain optimistic as well regarding this position for this year. Especially with this system and Foles undercenter. I really like O'Shaughnessy this year. I think he has some untapped potential in the receiving department. And I think we'll start to see it more consistently this year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It's a blow yes, he looked promising but we still have O'Shaughnessy that I have a soft spot for, hes not the greatest but he gives you 100% every play.

And Swain, now I know very little, my main knowledge is playing him recently in Madden, which is by the far the worst judge of player ability and do we still have Koyack?

Wasn't Ebron looked at as a mediocre TE in Detroit? Seems to me like a new system resurged him. Same could happen with any of our TE's. Foles is use to using Ertz, maybe he will find that kind of success with one of ours.

Shame to see Oliver get hurt, but next man up. Have Faith in our system and new QB.
In Dougie I Trust!

(08-02-2019, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Sure, I guess. Maybe.

NYC, I'm calling it one of the worst based on everything we know right now.  The Texans have the worst offensive line in the division based on everything we know right now. That isn't a definitive rank of where they will be by the end of the season , it's , very specifically , based on the paper of what we know.  If their rookies hits and Matt Kalil turns randomly good and their interior plays well then suddenly they might not be a bad unit. But we don't know any of that yet, we can only judge them on the current info

I don't know why you think an analysis of our position groups current strength =s anything other than judging it based on what we know about the group currently. It's a pretty simple concept to be honest.  

I think the Dolphins have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL despite new starters on it. Most NFL fans would agree on that based on everything we know right now, if they start playing well over the weeks then we can update our views relative to how other NFL lines play. I'll be doing the same with our TE group and pretty much every other position group

(08-02-2019, 06:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It’s not a difficult concept to grasp, Jack. Think about it. 

Sure, I guess. Maybe.

NYC, I'm calling it one of the worst based on everything we know right now.  The Texans have the worst offensive line in the division based on everything we know right now. That isn't a definitive rank of where they will be by the end of the season , it's , very specifically , based on the paper of what we know.  If their rookies hits and Matt Kalil turns randomly good and their interior plays well then suddenly they might not be a bad unit. But we don't know any of that yet, we can only judge them on the current info

I don't know why you think an analysis of our position groups current strength =s anything other than judging it based on what we know about the group currently. It's a pretty simple concept to be honest.  

I think the Dolphins have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL despite new starters on it. Most NFL fans would agree on that based on everything we know right now, if they start playing well over the weeks then we can update our views relative to how other NFL lines play. I'll be doing the same with our TE group and pretty much every other position group.

FWIW:

Quote: The Jaguars' tight ends continued their strong camps. James O'Shaughnessy brought in a 30-yard pass from Foles. Geoff Swaim made several grabs, including a touchdown in the back of the end zone from Tanner Lee. Charles Jones, who will get more reps while Josh Oliver is sidelined with a hamstring injury, caught two passes and continued to impress.

https://www.genjag.com/jacksonville-jagu...ogtsePqRpg

(08-02-2019, 06:41 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 05:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It’s not a difficult concept to grasp, Jack. Think about it. 

Sure, I guess. Maybe.

NYC, I'm calling it one of the worst based on everything we know right now.  

Right. And I’m telling you that we know so little about the group right now that calling them one of the worst groups in the NFL is unwise.