Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mid Camp Ruminations

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM by Bullseye. Edit Reason: roofreading is Fundamental )

What a 48 hours!  I went from being depressed at the idea that Cam Robinson and Lee probably would not be ready to play opening day (I expected that from Lee, given the severity of his injury), on top of all of the other injuries to player counted on to make a contribution (Taylor, Oliver, Williams) to the team announcing Cam is being removed from PUP, Cam being interviewed and saying he feels good, to Oliver participating in drills off to the side.  All of this in the aftermath of an enthusiasm sapping performance in the first preseason game which was a stinker even by the standards of a first preseason game.

Hopefully, the injury prognosis continues to improve, such that we can have a fully healthy squad against KC on opening day.

In any event, here hare a few of my thoughts based upon what I've seen directly and from various reports.

1.  One of the most interesting developments is the competition that has unfolded at RG between incumbent starter A.J. Cann and last year's 4th round pick Will Richardson, JR.  Many Jaguars fans were hoping that Cann would be upgraded at least since last spring, when the possibility of drafting Will Hernandez was kicked around on message boards, all the way up until the Jaguars wound up drafting Taven Bryan.  Meanwhile, while there was hopes for Richardson, those hopes were temporarily dashed as Richardson wound up on IR and having no playing time.  But Richardson opened my eyes, and seemingly many others, including Marrone.  At minimum, Richardson's development gives us depth on the right side, showing the ability to put in decent time at either RT or RG.  I predict he will win the starting job, if not by the end of this training camp, then sometimes later in the season.  But the team will not cut Cann, even if he is beaten out.  ordinarily, a veteran with a higher salary would be cut under these circumstances for more cap room.  But given how last year unfolded with the injury decimation of the OL, he will be kept around for depth.  He is experienced and can play at least two positions.

2.  I think this year's "Hurns award" recipient-given to the undrafted player that makes the team-will be WR Tyre Brady out of Marshall.  I've seen him get deep in practices, and the various camp reports have given the same impression.  I think Charles Jones from Tulane seems to have made a favorable impression on the coaches is another candidate.  If we were going purely on odds to make the team, Jones would win, as he has less competition than Brady.  But I think Brady will do enough to beat out Pryor.

3.  Speaking of WR, I think the development of Chark into a viable threat outside will enable Westbrook to work in the slot, where he should be most productive.  Circumstances-injuries to Robinson, Hurns and Lee at various points, have made him work outside for much of the time.  But with him working the slot in a more pass centric offense with  a more accurate QB, he'll have a career best season this year.

4.  Based upon what i've heard and seen from Foles, he is legit.  he has thrown very few INTs in camp, and at times has been red-hot.  He has found a connection with Conley, and thus far, there have been no whispers of, for want of better phrasing, "unseemly" evening activities.  However, the backup QB position at this stage is the scariest I have ever seen on a Jaguars team.  

5.  Though the team has lots of confidence in him, somehow I am still not yet comfortable in SS Jarod Wilson.

6.  I am interested in seeing Fournette's development as a player and as a person.  He is supposedly in good shape and will be featured more in the offense, especially in the receiving game.  While there was a pass late in the second half of the AFC Championship game I thought he could have dove for, which, if caught, would have made a huge difference in the game, I like the idea of a LB trying to cover him out of the backfield, or some nickel back trying to tackle him one on one.I also want to see him able to operate with a more efficient passing game, capable of taking a S out of the box.  But I think part of this is will hinge on his development as a man.  This offseason, he trained in Wyoming to get away from distractions.  Today, I saw a report that indicated he got some of the wrong people out of his life.  I remain hopeful he will be more of what the team envisioned when the team drafted him in 2017.

7.  Rookie watch_health aside, the consensus seems to be Allen will be a huge asset for this team.  I have seen nothing yet to go against that.  I think Ryquell Armstead will be another welcome addition.  In fact, based upon what I've seen, the only two drafted rookies that have yet to totally impress me are Minshew and Russell.  However, there is still time, and the game Thursday will be a good start.

As always I welcome your thoughts.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-12-2019, 05:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What a 48 hours!  I went from being depressed at the idea that Cam Robinson and Lee probably would not be ready to play opening day (I expected that from Lee, given the severity of his injury), on top of all of the other injuries to player counted on to make a contribution (Taylor, Oliver, Williams) to the team announcing Cam is being removed from PUP, Cam being interviewed and saying he feels good, to Oliver participating in drills off to the side.  All of this in the aftermath of an enthusiasm sapping performance in the first preseason game which was a stinker even by the standards of a first preseason game.

Hopefully, the injury prognosis continues to improve, such that we can have a fully healthy squad against KC on opening day.

In any event, here hare a few of my thoughts based upon what I've seen directly and from various reports.

1.  One of the most interesting developments is the competition that has unfolded at RG between incumbent starter A.J. Cann and last year's 4th round pick Will Richardson, JR.  Many Jaguars fans were hoping that Cann would be upgraded at least since last spring, when the possibility of drafting Will Hernandez was kicked around on message boards, all the way up until the Jaguars wound up drafting Taven Bryan.  Meanwhile, while there was hopes for Richardson, those hopes were temporarily dashed as Richardson wound up on IR and having no playing time.  But Richardson opened my eyes, and seemingly many others, including Marrone.  At minimum, Richardson's development gives us depth on the right side, showing the ability to put in decent time at either RT or RG.  I predict he will win the starting job, if not by the end of this training camp, then sometimes later in the season.  But the team will not cut Cann, even if he is beaten out.  ordinarily, a veteran with a higher salary would be cut under these circumstances for more cap room.  But given how last year unfolded with the injury decimation of the OL, he will be kept around for depth.  He is experienced and can play at least two positions.

2.  I think this year's "Hurns award" recipient-given to the undrafted player that makes the team-will be WR Tyre Brady out of Marshall.  I've seen him get deep in practices, and the various camp reports have given the same impression.  I think Charles Jones from Tulane seems to have made a favorable impression on the coaches is another candidate.  If we were going purely on odds to make the team, Jones would win, as he has less competition than Brady.  But I think Brady will do enough to beat out Pryor.

3.  Speaking of WR, I think the development of Chark into a viable threat outside will enable Westbrook to work in the slot, where he should be most productive.  Circumstances-injuries to Robinson, Hurns and Lee at various points, have made him work outside for much of the time.  But with him working the slot in a more pass centric offense with  a more accurate QB, he'll have a career best season this year.

4.  Based upon what i've heard and seen from Foles, he is legit.  he has thrown very few INTs in camp, and at times has been red-hot.  He has found a connection with Conley, and thus far, there have been no whispers of, for want of better phrasing, "unseemly" evening activities.  However, the backup QB position at this stage is the scariest I have ever seen on a Jaguars team.  

5.  Though the team has lots of confidence in him, somehow I am still not yet comfortable in SS Jarod Wilson.

6.  I am interested in seeing Fournette's development as a player and as a person.  He is supposedly in good shape and will be featured more in the offense, especially in the receiving game.  While there was a pass late in the second half of the AFC Championship game I thought he could have dove for, which, if caught, would have made a huge difference in the game, I like the idea of a LB trying to cover him out of the backfield, or some nickel back trying to tackle him one on one.I also want to see him able to operate with a more efficient passing game, capable of taking a S out of the box.  But I think part of this is will hinge on his development as a man.  This offseason, he trained in Wyoming to get away from distractions.  Today, I saw a report that indicated he got some of the wrong people out of his life.  I remain hopeful he will be more of what the team envisioned when the team drafted him in 2017.

7.  Rookie watch_health aside, the consensus seems to be Allen will be a huge asset for this team.  I have seen nothing yet to go against that.  I think Ryquell Armstead will be another welcome addition.  In fact, based upon what I've seen, the only two drafted rookies that have yet to totally impress me are Minshew and Russell.  However, there is still time, and the game Thursday will be a good start.

As always I welcome yoour thoughts.

Regarding the part in bold, I seem to recall that the team wanted him to be an outside receiver.  I could be wrong on that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-12-2019, 05:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: What a 48 hours!  I went from being depressed at the idea that Cam Robinson and Lee probably would not be ready to play opening day (I expected that from Lee, given the severity of his injury), on top of all of the other injuries to player counted on to make a contribution (Taylor, Oliver, Williams) to the team announcing Cam is being removed from PUP, Cam being interviewed and saying he feels good, to Oliver participating in drills off to the side.  All of this in the aftermath of an enthusiasm sapping performance in the first preseason game which was a stinker even by the standards of a first preseason game.

7.  Rookie watch_health aside, the consensus seems to be Allen will be a huge asset for this team.  I have seen nothing yet to go against that.  I think Ryquell Armstead will be another welcome addition.  In fact, based upon what I've seen, the only two drafted rookies that have yet to totally impress me are Minshew and Russell.  However, there is still time, and the game Thursday will be a good start.

Russell has been getting some positive reviews as well as of late in camp. Minshew has his best day today since camp began according to a few local media guys. I think with the extra reps he’ll be getting in preseason with the starters most likely not playing will pay off for him. Look to see improvement weekly.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 07:22 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-12-2019, 06:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Regarding the part in bold, I seem to recall that the team wanted him to be an outside receiver.  I could be wrong on that.
I seem to vaguely recall that, but that may have been last year.  Based on that admittedly unofficial depth chart that was released, Westbrok was listed as the slot.  From what I saw at the camp practices, Westbrook was used in the slot.   No telling where he worked when I wasn't at those two practices.

Not only that, if TE is going to be a point of emphasis in this offense, they will run a lot of 2 TE sets.  I seem to recall they ran a few of those at the practice.  If the team views Westbrook as the best WR, there is a strong argument to be made that they wouldn't take a WR off the field if they run traditional 2 TE sets. 

Like you, I could easily be wrong at the end of camp or by opening day.

(08-12-2019, 07:02 PM)knarnn Wrote:

7.  Rookie watch_health aside, the consensus seems to be Allen will be a huge asset for this team.  I have seen nothing yet to go against that.  I think Ryquell Armstead will be another welcome addition.  In fact, based upon what I've seen, the only two drafted rookies that have yet to totally impress me are Minshew and Russell.  However, there is still time, and the game Thursday will be a good start.

Russell has been getting some positive reviews as well as of late in camp. Minshew has his best day today since camp began according to a few local media guys. I think with the extra reps he’ll be getting in preseason with the starters most likely not playing will pay off for him. Look to see improvement weekly.

I know I said I would re-watch that preseason game to get a better look at Russell, but I couldn't bear to put myself through that again.  I apologize...but...

As for Minshew, I can say he's been the best of the three QBs on the roster NOT named Foles, but that doesn't mean anything.  He has some decent traits, but I don't think he'll be more than a middling backup.  He would be a #3 on most rosters at this point in his career.

Another thought.

Like the rest of you, I had my concerns about the wisdom of drafting Quincy Williams.

Now while he has addressed the physical concerns I had for the most part, his injury gives me pause.

Not about his durability. Per Marrone, he was able to play through the injury for some time, and still impress Marrone with his speed.

What concerns me now is him knowing the nuances of the LB position. If he were getting game reps this preseason, he would have reps against some good route runners at the TE position. He would get reps against teams running play action. He would develop zone awareness, and see how pro offenses use different route combinations. But since he hasn't been getting those reps and likely won't until week one, I can imagine Kelce having a decent day as the Chiefs test him. I also expect teams will continue to attack him until he starts making big plays.

Good takes. The only one I'd question is Brady winning the last wide receiver spot. According to Lageman, he was very poor on special teams so if he doesn't improve in this area he may be relegated to the practice squad. If this happens, either Pryor or McBride would make the team- McBride because of his special teams ability or Pryor due to his height and ability to be used in case Oliver isn't ready.

So, is Cole safe yet?

That pass your talking about with Fournette and how it would had made a huge difference in the game......

It would have been the biggest catch in Jaguars history. It would have been more important than Jimmy Smith’s fade to glory up in Denver.

If Fournette makes that diving catch, then the Jags would have made it to the Super Bowl. 

Yeah I agree, it would have made a huge difference.

(08-12-2019, 09:40 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Good takes. The only one I'd question is Brady winning the last wide receiver spot. According to Lageman, he was very poor on special teams so if he doesn't improve in this area he may be relegated to the practice squad. If this happens, either Pryor or McBride would make the team- McBride because of his special teams ability or Pryor due to his height and ability to be used in case Oliver isn't ready.
I had not heard that take from Lageman.  That changes the calculus a bit, though I still think he has performed well in offense.

If he is on the practice squad, he will be one of those guys we hope isn't taken from there.

Every time I open Twitter, I see a tweet saying Foles connects on a long TD bomb to Conley. The chemistry is there and I think Conley will really surprise a lot of people. If you do Best Ball drafts for fantasy, take a flyer on Conley. I’m concerned with the backup QB spot but so are about 90% of the team out there. You think the Rams aren’t concerned if Goff gets hurt? Lol

Not concerned with the defense at the moment and that includes Bryan. The DLine is so deep

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM by Bullseye.)

(08-12-2019, 10:04 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: So, is Cole safe yet?

Good question.

I would have to say no at this point, but I still like his chances.

(08-12-2019, 10:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

That pass your talking about with Fournette and how it would had made a huge difference in the game......

It would have been the biggest catch in Jaguars history. It would have been more important than Jimmy Smith’s fade to glory up in Denver.

If Fournette makes that diving catch, then the Jags would have made it to the Super Bowl. 

Yeah I agree, it would have made a huge difference.
I have gone back and forth on that play, wondering if I am expecting/asking too much for Fournette to have dove and made that catch.  It's possible he couldn't have caught it at all, but the angle of the camera made it look like he could have. 

But to me, if he catches that, the game is changed.  Jaguars history changes.

His catch becomes the biggest in team history.

If the refs call that Myles Jack play properly, the game changes and NFL history changes.  That Myles Jack play would go down in NFL history as one of the best defensive plays in history, and would be replayed on NFL films highlights for decades.

Farking bastidges!

(08-13-2019, 08:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Every time I open Twitter, I see a tweet saying Foles connects on a long TD bomb to Conley. The chemistry is there and I think Conley will really surprise a lot of people. If you do Best Ball drafts for fantasy, take a flyer on Conley. I’m concerned with the backup QB spot but so are about 90% of the team out there. You think the Rams aren’t concerned if Goff gets hurt? Lol

Not concerned with the defense at the moment and that includes Bryan. The DLine is so deep

I see that a lot, too.  But I'm not sure if I should be pleased at the improvement in our passing attack, or concerned about our defensive backfield.  The other day the report was that Foles connected on a long bomb to Conley and there was a broken coverage on the play.

(08-13-2019, 08:19 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Every time I open Twitter, I see a tweet saying Foles connects on a long TD bomb to Conley. The chemistry is there and I think Conley will really surprise a lot of people. If you do Best Ball drafts for fantasy, take a flyer on Conley. I’m concerned with the backup QB spot but so are about 90% of the team out there. You think the Rams aren’t concerned if Goff gets hurt? Lol

(Emphasis added)

Not nearly as concerned as we would be if Foles went down.

Bortles has five years of experience as a starter and has won in the playoffs.

I am not all that concerned with Minshew. The kid had his bell rung like 3x time in that game. I saw him stand down the barrel of pressure on the next play after losing his helmet near our goal line though and he rifled one on a slant for a 3rd and long conversion.

I like him a lot more than Tanner Lee and that other guy they picked up from Seattle this off season. McGogh? At any rate. I would like to see him play again with a more competent offensive line.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-12-2019, 05:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 5.  Though the team has lots of confidence in him, somehow I am still not yet comfortable in SS Jarod Wilson.

I thought he was replacing Gipson at FS?

In any case, he has always impressed me as a good backup safety. I too am not sure of how good he will be as a starter. Reavis' play last week makes me a little less concerned.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-13-2019, 10:03 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 05:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: 5.  Though the team has lots of confidence in him, somehow I am still not yet comfortable in SS Jarod Wilson.

I thought he was replacing Gipson at FS?

In any case, he has always impressed me as a good backup safety. I too am not sure of how good he will be as a starter. Reavis' play last week makes me a little less concerned.
You are right.  mea culpa for the brain fart.