Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our Defense is a joke

(09-12-2019, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’ll tell you exactly what it’s saying.

If you think Ramsey was the problem Sunday, then you have no [BLEEP] clue what you are watching.
Reading comprehension, i never daid he was the problem.  But yeas he was part of the problem.  You act like he had a flawless game lol.  Of course you thought he played great last year too so it makes sense. Pff obviously agreed.  I dont think he was a 39 rating bad but he was out there making mistakes like the rest of the secondary

Yeah. You’re just confirming that you don’t know what you’re watching. 
Ramsey has two, maybe three subpar snaps. 
He outplayed the rest of the secondary by a very healthy margin. 
Of course you’ve hated on the guy since he was drafted, so your bias is probably part of the problem with your inaccurate take.

To set you straight on putting words in my mouth:
I didn’t say he played great in every game last year.
I did point out that he played hurt the whole year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-12-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Reading comprehension, i never daid he was the problem.  But yeas he was part of the problem.  You act like he had a flawless game lol.  Of course you thought he played great last year too so it makes sense. Pff obviously agreed.  I dont think he was a 39 rating bad but he was out there making mistakes like the rest of the secondary

Of course you’ve hated on the guy since he was drafted, so your bias is probably part of the problem with your inaccurate take.
“Hargreaves > Ramsey”

(09-12-2019, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Reading comprehension, i never daid he was the problem.  But yeas he was part of the problem.  You act like he had a flawless game lol.  Of course you thought he played great last year too so it makes sense. Pff obviously agreed.  I dont think he was a 39 rating bad but he was out there making mistakes like the rest of the secondary

i dont hate him.  I wish he was as good as you think he is or as good as he was in 17.  I think he was the best corner in the league in 17 but he hasnt been as good.  When he plays great i give him the credit when its due. This week he goes against Hopkins so he can show out and try to climb the ladder in the cb rankings.  You could use the arguement that pff is bias against him but you cant do that because in 17 he was the highest rated corner

(09-12-2019, 04:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Reading comprehension, i never daid he was the problem.  But yeas he was part of the problem.  You act like he had a flawless game lol.  Of course you thought he played great last year too so it makes sense. Pff obviously agreed.  I dont think he was a 39 rating bad but he was out there making 

Ramsey has two, maybe three subpar snaps

He watched Watkins run by him for an additional 40 yards with a pathetic tackle attempt( I may be kind giving him credit for attempt) on the 3rd play of the game. What was his other subpar snap?

(09-12-2019, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: thats not saying much.  I watched the game and they all looked bad

I’ll tell you exactly what it’s saying.

If you think Ramsey was the problem Sunday, then you have no [BLEEP] clue what you are watching.
The problem as i see it is not one player in the secondary but a combination of not knowing who to pick up and who to pass off.  They were not ready to play zone because they had little game speed work in the preseason. You can blame Wash for being cute but that was a small part of the problem.  the constant wide open receivers were a direct result of poor zone play.

(09-12-2019, 05:10 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:

The problem as i see it is not one player in the secondary but a combination of not knowing who to pick up and who to pass off.  They were not ready to play zone because they had little game speed work in the preseason. You can blame Wash for being cute but that was a small part of the problem.  the constant wide open receivers were a direct result of poor zone play.
There was a lot of poor zone play. 
Tons of it. 
I’m merely pointing out the one player who made very few of those mistakes compared to the rest of the secondary.

(09-12-2019, 05:10 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:

(09-12-2019, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 05:10 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: The problem as i see it is not one player in the secondary but a combination of not knowing who to pick up and who to pass off.  They were not ready to play zone because they had little game speed work in the preseason. You can blame Wash for being cute but that was a small part of the problem.  the constant wide open receivers were a direct result of poor zone play.
There was a lot of poor zone play. 
Tons of it. 
I’m merely pointing out the one player who made very few of those mistakes compared to the rest of the secondary.
With zone, you can't blame defenders unless they leave their zone or don't when there is no one in their zone.

If the offense puts 2 or 3 WRs in a spot zone, then how is 1 DB supposed to cover that? That is why great offenses kill the zone and poor defenses play zone.

The Jags need to go back to pressing, giving the DL time to get pressure, and leaving the safety back to stop the big plays.

Wash trying to get cute is what got the OC fired. He should realize he needs to play to the strengths of the players, not trying to adjust completely different based on the team they are playing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I didn’t say he played great in every game  last year.

Ramsey needs to quit talking smack he makes himself look silly when he does and does
nt back it up

(09-10-2019, 04:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 04:01 PM)Section105Fan Wrote: We’ve sunk a boatload of money on this defense. Last year it was ranked in the top 5 in several categories, but it didn’t impress me as a top 5 defense. In too many cases, they couldn’t get off the field on third down. I’m not sure that I believe it’s better to have a top 5 defense, or a top 5 offense. It’s almost impossible to have both simultaneously. I  listened to a podcast last week from a Kansas City site , where they acknowledged  that KC needed to improve their defense, which was near the bottom of the league in 2018. They thought that if they could be in the middle of the defensive rankings they’d be a lock to win the Super Bowl, given that they have one of the best offenses in the NFL.  I just don’t think it works the other way around.........top 5 defense, middle of the road offense. Once you land a generational QB like Mahoney, you need to build the offense around him, even if it means settling for a middle of the road defense. I realize a lot of other factors come into play, such as top quality coaches, but in general, I’d rather build a great offense than a great defense.

Well when you have a top flight offense, all the rules are slanted in your favor and you will get the calls.  The officiating gets moved to support your top offense.  The NFL would prefer defense cease to exist.  And a top 5 defense won't get you much anymore.  There will be a point in the game where a PI, Taunting, Defensive Holding or some other hankie will bite you and flip the field on your top defense.
(Emphasis added)

Regarding the rules, I agree.  They have shifted way too far towards the offense.

That said, I still disagree with the idea a top defense won't get you much anymore.

Last year, the Patriots had the 7th best defense in scoring (not far from the top 5) and won the Super Bowl.

In 2017, the Eagles, who had the 4th best defense in yards and scoring, won the Super Bowl.

In 2016, the Patriots were #1 in scoring defense and won the Super Bowl.

In 2015, the Broncos won the Super bowl with a defense that was #4 in scoring and #1 in yards.

In 2014, the Patriots won the Super bowl with the #8 scoring defense, over the team with the #1 scoring defense, Seattle.

In 2013, the Seahawks won the Super Bowl with the #1 scoring defense.

Baltimore beat the 49ers (#2 scoring defense) in the Super Bowl for the 2012 season.

In 2011, Neither the Giants nor the Patriots had top 5-10 defenses.

In 2010 Green Bay (5th in yards, 2nd in points) beat the Steelers (2nd in yards 1st in scoring) in Super Bowl XLV.

Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season had the Saints with the #8 defense in yards beat the Colts with the 8th ranked scoring defense in the Super Bowl

Pittsburgh had the #1 defense in yards and scoring when they beat Arizona in the Super Bowl.

So over the past ten seasons, a team in the top ten in at least one of two main categories won the Super Bowl in all but one year, with top 5 defenses winning seven of those games, with two more top 5 defenses participating in the game but losing.

The facts show having a strong defense can pay off handsomely.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I didn’t say he played great in every game  last year.

Remember he'd trade Ramsey straight up for Will Grier  Laughing

(09-12-2019, 04:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 03:39 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: And this is why we love you NYC!! Lol!!!

Theres plenty you can complain about from Sunday but the way some people try to find a way to blame him for everything and anything that goes wrong on D. 10 other guys out there.

Hes the best talent on this roster easily.
Who blamed Ramsey for everything?  Ramsey might be the best talent on the roster but the best player has been Campbell the last couple years.  Whats funny is when people on here thinks hes playing like Champ Bailey but naw lol.  He has the potential to be the best corner in the league like he was in 17 but he has to show it

Ramsey is always getting criticism. 

To be honest, at times I think Ramsey is bored. Teams rarely target him in games, you just dont throw on elite CB's, and you can see his frustration at not being able to fix the errors elsewhere.

Last season against the Eagles, there was a play he ran across damn the near the whole field to cover an Eagles WR that was wide open and made a pick somehow. That's what I think hes trying to do, cover his man but also help someone else. 

Jalen isn't playing his best ball at the moment but hes still playing well.

And cant argue with Calais. Guys a warrior.

Again, according to Brent Martineau on his radio program, he says Wash took responsibility for the poor defensive performance last Sunday by claiming that he was trying to be "too cute" with his defensive packages. So who knows, maybe we'll see improvement against the tinhorns. But I ask why didn't he figure out his 'cuteness' by the start of the 2nd half?

(09-12-2019, 09:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Again, according to Brent Martineau on his radio program, he says Wash took responsibility for the poor defensive performance last Sunday by claiming that he was trying to be "too cute" with his defensive packages. So who knows, maybe we'll see improvement against the tinhorns. But I ask why didn't he figure out his 'cuteness' by the start of the 2nd half?

Wash needs to go as he hasn't a clue how to be creative. Like was stated 2 games a year we will lose due to the defense. KC and NE.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 09:42 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

"Too cute" could be a subtle jab at the players not mentally knowing where they were supposed to be. I just thought we'd do more to bring pressure and let our all-pro DB's do their thing. Especially with ?'s at LB and S. They got exposed Sunday. As did Bouye's tackling and Ramsey got torched by Watkins a couple of times.
No pain, no gain.

(09-12-2019, 04:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. You’re just confirming that you don’t know what you’re watching. 
“Hargreaves > Ramsey”

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/vernon-hargreaves/10645

(09-13-2019, 06:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 04:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: “Hargreaves > Ramsey”

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/vernon-hargreaves/10645

You know those grades are largely subjective right?

(09-13-2019, 06:32 AM)roycee Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 06:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/vernon-hargreaves/10645

You know those grades are largely subjective right?

lol, right now isnt a good time to be comparing Hargreaves.  Hes looked damn good in his 2 games.  Had a pick last week and the goaline stop last nigh.

Don't be cute, play Ramsey 80& man... let them battle... Watson will force it...

The title of this thread baffles me. W/just one game played, "Our Defense is a Joke".

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019, 08:02 AM by JAllen#41.)

LOL, not sure why people take PFF objectively when Wash himself said Ramsey only made two bad plays the entire game.  Yet you want to take some subjective grading system and suggest that he's either a) a bad player; or b) not living up to the billing.  Whatever narrative you want to paint I suppose.  I'll take the Coordinator's words for it.  In any case, the Dolphins are allowing last year's 1st round pick, Minkah Fitzpatrick to seek a trade.  I think he'd be phenomenal here at FS.  It would probably cost more than we'd want to give draft capital wise though.