Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our Defense is a joke

(09-13-2019, 06:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 04:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: “Hargreaves > Ramsey”

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/vernon-hargreaves/10645
Bahahahaha

So Hargreaves has gone up against Garropolo and a washed up Cam Newton while Ramsey has faced Mahomes and Watson. You're not trying to imply that Hargreaves is better than Ramsey are you? Man I really hope you're not because you have made some ridiculous claims and this one might be your worst.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-12-2019, 08:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 04:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Well when you have a top flight offense, all the rules are slanted in your favor and you will get the calls.  The officiating gets moved to support your top offense.  The NFL would prefer defense cease to exist.  And a top 5 defense won't get you much anymore.  There will be a point in the game where a PI, Taunting, Defensive Holding or some other hankie will bite you and flip the field on your top defense.
(Emphasis added)

Regarding the rules, I agree.  They have shifted way too far towards the offense.

That said, I still disagree with the idea a top defense won't get you much anymore.

Last year, the Patriots had the 7th best defense in scoring (not far from the top 5) and won the Super Bowl.

In 2017, the Eagles, who had the 4th best defense in yards and scoring, won the Super Bowl.

In 2016, the Patriots were #1 in scoring defense and won the Super Bowl.

In 2015, the Broncos won the Super bowl with a defense that was #4 in scoring and #1 in yards.

In 2014, the Patriots won the Super bowl with the #8 scoring defense, over the team with the #1 scoring defense, Seattle.

In 2013, the Seahawks won the Super Bowl with the #1 scoring defense.

Baltimore beat the 49ers (#2 scoring defense) in the Super Bowl for the 2012 season.

In 2011, Neither the Giants nor the Patriots had top 5-10 defenses.

In 2010 Green Bay (5th in yards, 2nd in points) beat the Steelers (2nd in yards 1st in scoring) in Super Bowl XLV.

Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season had the Saints with the #8 defense in yards beat the Colts with the 8th ranked scoring defense in the Super Bowl

Pittsburgh had the #1 defense in yards and scoring when they beat Arizona in the Super Bowl.

So over the past ten seasons, a team in the top ten in at least one of two main categories won the Super Bowl in all but one year, with top 5 defenses winning seven of those games, with two more top 5 defenses participating in the game but losing.

The facts show having a strong defense can pay off handsomely.

Going down your list, only a few of the teams had subpar offenses.  I'm not saying defense isn't important.  I am saying that your chances are made difficult by the rules and one ticky tacky penalty can undue a game of great defense. Take our 2017 team and how a few bad calls impacted the game and compounded the coaches not finishing the game.

I like having a strong defense.  I just wish we had a better offense.  It is one game so we will see what happens this week.  Thanks for the back and forth.  I appreciate it.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-12-2019, 08:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 04:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Well when you have a top flight offense, all the rules are slanted in your favor and you will get the calls.  The officiating gets moved to support your top offense.  The NFL would prefer defense cease to exist.  And a top 5 defense won't get you much anymore.  There will be a point in the game where a PI, Taunting, Defensive Holding or some other hankie will bite you and flip the field on your top defense.
(Emphasis added)

Regarding the rules, I agree.  They have shifted way too far towards the offense.

That said, I still disagree with the idea a top defense won't get you much anymore.

Last year, the Patriots had the 7th best defense in scoring (not far from the top 5) and won the Super Bowl.

In 2017, the Eagles, who had the 4th best defense in yards and scoring, won the Super Bowl.

In 2015, the Broncos won the Super bowl with a defense that was #4 in scoring and #1 in yards.

In 2014, the Patriots won the Super bowl with the #8 scoring defense, over the team with the #1 scoring defense, Seattle.

Baltimore beat the 49ers (#2 scoring defense) in the Super Bowl for the 2012 season.

In 2010 Green Bay (5th in yards, 2nd in points) beat the Steelers (2nd in yards 1st in scoring) in Super Bowl XLV.

Super Bowl XLIV after the 2009 season had the Saints with the #8 defense in yards beat the Colts with the 8th ranked scoring defense in the Super Bowl

Pittsburgh had the #1 defense in yards and scoring when they beat Arizona in the Super Bowl.

So over the past ten seasons, a team in the top ten in at least one of two main categories won the Super Bowl in all but one year, with top 5 defenses winning seven of those games, with two more top 5 defenses participating in the game but losing.

Let's look at all those teams for what they really are. Big Ben, Brees, Eli, Wilson, Peyton, and Brady..... Outside of the outliers of Flacco/Foles, it's about the QB. That 2016 Pats team was getting abused in the SB right up until the OC stopped being aggressive. 

Defense is important. No doubt. However just looking at week 1, the Bears defense was incredible but they lost. This league is always about QBs and always will be.

(09-09-2019, 01:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 01:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: What exactly was it that Ramsey has said in the past 3 months that caused that defense to play poorly yesterday?

I like the way you frame the question.  But it misses the point of course.  The point was that Ramsey was the only one who played well yesterday as opposed to the other guys in the secondary.

But since you asked, this defense has taken on Jalen's personality rather than Calais'.  And that is not a good thing.  Harrison and Jack and their stupid penalties and over-exaggerated swagger are cases in point.  I love having Jalen's talent on the team.  I don't love the persona.

Everybody going on about Ramsey’s mouth should watch his presser from yesterday. He showed quite a bit of maturity. 

https://twitter.com/espn/status/11723320...14022?s=21

If the NFL gave a crap about defenses DeAndre Hopkins would constantly be penalized for all his offensive pass interference and holding

(09-13-2019, 02:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: If the NFL gave a crap about defenses DeAndre Hopkins would constantly be penalized for all his offensive pass interference and holding

Good chance Marrone challenges one of those non-calls this week using the new PI challenge rule.

(09-13-2019, 02:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 02:26 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: If the NFL gave a crap about defenses DeAndre Hopkins would constantly be penalized for all his offensive pass interference and holding

Good chance Marrone challenges one of those non-calls this week using the new PI challenge rule.

I could be wrong, but I thought only DPI (or lack of a call thereof) is challengeable?

(09-13-2019, 03:54 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 02:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Good chance Marrone challenges one of those non-calls this week using the new PI challenge rule.

I could be wrong, but I thought only DPI (or lack of a call thereof) is challengeable?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...reviewable

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019, 04:20 PM by JagFan81.)

(09-13-2019, 03:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 03:54 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought only DPI (or lack of a call thereof) is challengeable?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...reviewable

During the game last night they said PI is reviewable but illegal contact isn't so some of these calls are going to come down to whether the ball was in the air or not.

Just to add a bit more of a grey area.

(09-13-2019, 09:09 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 08:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

Going down your list, only a few of the teams had subpar offenses.  I'm not saying defense isn't important.  I am saying that your chances are made difficult by the rules and one ticky tacky penalty can undue a game of great defense. Take our 2017 team and how a few bad calls impacted the game and compounded the coaches not finishing the game.

I like having a strong defense.  I just wish we had a better offense.  It is one game so we will see what happens this week.  Thanks for the back and forth.  I appreciate it.

(09-13-2019, 09:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 08:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

Let's look at all those teams for what they really are. Big Ben, Brees, Eli, Wilson, Peyton, and Brady..... Outside of the outliers of Flacco/Foles, it's about the QB. That 2016 Pats team was getting abused in the SB right up until the OC stopped being aggressive. 

Defense is important. No doubt. However just looking at week 1, the Bears defense was incredible but they lost. This league is always about QBs and always will be.

To sum, having a balanced team is important.

I have zero problem with that statement.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Texans will drop 35+ on us Sunday

(09-13-2019, 07:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: Texans will drop 35+ on us Sunday

Then The Jags need to drop 36+
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I’d guess it’s more like 24 or 27

(09-13-2019, 07:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I’d guess it’s more like 24 or 27

With Yan and Bouye playing I'd be more confident of us holding them to that by destroying their Dline and keeping their WR2 at bay. 

Our Dline should still win that battle easy, but the back end likely won't hold up

It all depends on how Ramsey playes Hopkins. If Ramsey can take Hopkins out Watson will have a bad day

(09-13-2019, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It all depends on how Ramsey playes Hopkins.  If Ramsey can take Hopkins out Watson will have a bad day

More likely they cancel each other out and have their own fair share of wins like usual. 

I think it's more about shutting down the other WRs, stopping the likes of Stills and Fuller going deep and then limiting Duke yac when he gets the ball

Bad safety play vs the pass and bad LB play vs the run are my concerns.

Herndon vs Fuller is a secondary concern but a real one.

(09-13-2019, 09:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bad safety play vs the pass and bad LB play vs the run are my concerns.

Herndon vs Fuller is a secondary concern but a real one.

Same, just do whatever you can to stop those explosive plays over the top and make them work for it. The longer Watson's on the field for the more hits we can get in on him

(09-13-2019, 09:01 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It all depends on how Ramsey playes Hopkins.  If Ramsey can take Hopkins out Watson will have a bad day

More likely they cancel each other out and have their own fair share of wins like usual. 

I think it's more about shutting down the other WRs, stopping the likes of Stills and Fuller going deep and then limiting Duke yac when he gets the ball
Hopkins had 145 yards last game.  I wouldnt consider taht cancelling each other out.

(09-13-2019, 09:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 09:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: More likely they cancel each other out and have their own fair share of wins like usual. 

Hopkins had 145 yards last game.  I wouldnt consider taht cancelling each other out.

And then in others game Vs Ramsey he's had 50 yards Vs him around 3 times. So yeah they generally cancel each other out, the last game was a awful performance from Jalen.  

The reality of playing Nuk is he's going to catch the ball no matter what you do. So limiting the other playmakers is the important part of the gameplan.