Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags owner willing to make Ramsey highest-paid CB

He probably has a cold

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-23-2019, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 08:36 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: It really wasn't..... As evidence by the release the following year.

Sure it was, based on the last half of the 2017 season the guy had turned a corner. They gave him a decent 2 year deal to both secure him in the present and to hedge against what actually ended up happening and then both sides moved on. Had they not resigned him and he played great these same people would've been clamoring that they were stupid for not signing him sooner.
Except a smart front office would see those games where he "turned a corner" and saw them for what they truly were. A fluke 3 game stretch and one good playoff game. 

Did he turn the corner against Buffalo in the playoffs? How about Tennessee in week 17? Or SF in week 16? Or the 3 game stretch against Arizona (god awful), SD (tried to give the game away), or Cleveland? Or how about that fantastic playoff game against the Steelers where he threw for an astounding 214 yards on 53% completion?

Of his last 11 games (including the playoffs) in the 2017 season, he had 4 good games. 4. Seattle, Houston, Indy and NE.

So what's this "corner" he was supposedly turning?

(09-23-2019, 08:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 08:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Sure it was, based on the last half of the 2017 season the guy had turned a corner. They gave him a decent 2 year deal to both secure him in the present and to hedge against what actually ended up happening and then both sides moved on. Had they not resigned him and he played great these same people would've been clamoring that they were stupid for not signing him sooner.
Except a smart front office would see those games where he "turned a corner" and saw them for what they truly were. A fluke 3 game stretch and one good playoff game. 

Did he turn the corner against Buffalo in the playoffs? How about Tennessee in week 17? Or SF in week 16? Or the 3 game stretch against Arizona (god awful), SD (tried to give the game away), or Cleveland? Or how about that fantastic playoff game against the Steelers where he threw for an astounding 214 yards on 53% completion?

Of his last 11 games (including the playoffs) in the 2017 season, he had 4 good games. 4. Seattle, Houston, Indy and NE.

But you have to look at the risk-reward.  It is so hard to find a franchise QB these days, if there is a 30% chance Blake was turning the corner, I could see why they would extend him.  It wasn't that big of a contract, anyway.

So what does this mean if he doesnt practice all week? He's not playing against Denver this weekend? I'm trying to savor every Ramsey game in a Jags uniform I can as if it will be the last.

(09-23-2019, 09:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 08:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Except a smart front office would see those games where he "turned a corner" and saw them for what they truly were. A fluke 3 game stretch and one good playoff game. 

But you have to look at the risk-reward.  It is so hard to find a franchise QB these days, if there is a 30% chance Blake was turning the corner, I could see why they would extend him.  It wasn't that big of a contract, anyway.
Then don't resign him and just let him play out the 5th year option.

This all stems from the bad decision to roll into 2017 with Fournette and Blake rather than drafting a QB.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 09:10 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-23-2019, 09:04 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: So what does this mean if he doesnt practice all week? He's not playing against Denver this weekend? I'm trying to savor every Ramsey game in a Jags uniform I can as if it will be the last.

Who knows?  He played last week.  Maybe he'll come to practice later this week and play in the Denver game.   

At some point, though, the team has to dig in its heels and crack down, because you cannot let players just skip practice whenever they want.

I get the feeling he's played his last game for us.  I thought Khan's statement that he would make him the highest paid CB in the league offered a way for everyone to come down off their high horse, but Ramsey skipping practice shows me he's not willing to change his mind no matter what.

(09-23-2019, 08:54 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Desmond Howard..
Tiki Barber..
Jalen Ramsey?

So it would appear. 
I don't imagine these two will ever reconcile.  Shad could mandate Coughlin to offer Ramsey a blockbuster deal, and that may heal it enough, but it could also convince Coughlin to resign.  WHich wouldn't really bother me. 
Coughlin signed off on the LF pick and the Bortles extension. So I don't feel like it's a big loss.

Dude isn’t sick, he was up real late last night tweeting lol. Now he is just playing games. He posted something at 2:30 am EST.

We can bring a random fan down from the stands to get burnt 3 times by a Marcus Mariota deep pass. A guy who doesn't ever throw deep.

Ramsey is a chump.

(09-23-2019, 09:07 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 09:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: But you have to look at the risk-reward.  It is so hard to find a franchise QB these days, if there is a 30% chance Blake was turning the corner, I could see why they would extend him.  It wasn't that big of a contract, anyway.

This all stems from the bad decision to roll into 2017 with Fournette and Blake rather than drafting a QB.

That may be so, but QB is the position that gets the most time, not just here but everywhere. Had he played the 5th year great and commanded a huge contract then the narrative would be how stupid they were for not resigning him earlier when they had the chance. They are damned no matter what happened and so they took a decent compromise.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-23-2019, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: We can bring a random fan down from the stands to get burnt 3 times by a Marcus Mariota deep pass. A guy who doesn't ever throw deep.

Ramsey is a chump.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(09-23-2019, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: We can bring a random fan down from the stands to get burnt 3 times by a Marcus Mariota deep pass. A guy who doesn't ever throw deep.

Ramsey is a chump.
BAHAHAHAHA

How'd that chump do against Houston and Hopkins?

(09-23-2019, 09:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Ramsey is a chump.
BAHAHAHAHA

A loss. This isn't the NBA.

(09-23-2019, 09:07 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 09:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: But you have to look at the risk-reward.  It is so hard to find a franchise QB these days, if there is a 30% chance Blake was turning the corner, I could see why they would extend him.  It wasn't that big of a contract, anyway.

They were out thinking themselves trying to lock in a cost conscious option at QB and this would let them resign Ramsey and Yan.  It didn't work out.  Back on Ramsey, obviously he wants to play somewhere else and have nothing to do with this team.  I think he is a heck of a talent but are we sure he is a generational talent?  Are we sure he is as good as Deion Sanders?  I don't think he is as good as Revis was either.

Honestly, everyone has off plays but if you are really trying to stick it to the Jaguars, how do you let him back on the field?
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

TBH I cared a lot more when I felt like we were doomed at the QB spot. Now that the Minshew Mania has taken over, all I got to say about Jalen is whatever.

(09-23-2019, 09:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Ramsey is a chump.
BAHAHAHAHA

He gave up 3 key first downs while doing a mostly good job. Dude is not the seconds coming of Deion. He’s not even as good as Reavis in his prime. But he is very good! If we lose him we survive and are still a top 10 defense. If we keep him, we also win.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(09-23-2019, 09:19 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 09:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: BAHAHAHAHA

He gave up 3 key first downs while doing a mostly good job. Dude is not the seconds coming of Deion. He’s not even as good as Reavis in his prime. But he is very good! If we lose him we survive and are still a top 10 defense. If we keep him, we also win.

Correct. Surrendering 3rd and longs is the achilles heel of this defense and people pretend Ramsey isn't a big part of that.

lol @ guys now trying to claim that Ramsey isn't that good. EL OH EL

If The Jags are serious about not trading him, this could turn into a very long holdout.. I'm even starting to question, "If the Jags actually to present him with a contract and try to make him the highest paid CB" does he even sign it? I'm starting to doubt.. I think it's gonna take that contract and Coughlin to go, for Ramsey to stay..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 09:25 AM by The Real Marty.)

(09-23-2019, 09:19 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 09:16 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: BAHAHAHAHA

People act like Deion Sanders never gave up a completed pass.  It's not true.  

Jalen Ramsey is the best player on our team.  He's the anchor of our defense.  He's the straw that stirs the drink.  Our defense is worse without him.  

But- right now, I would just tell him, if you come to work we will talk.  Otherwise, we have nothing to say.  And I would certainly not allow him to get TC fired.  Even if we were intending to fire TC, we can't fire him now.

(09-23-2019, 09:23 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: If The Jags are serious about not trading him, this could turn into a very long holdout.. I'm even starting to question, "If the Jags actually to present him with a contract and try to make him the highest paid CB" does he even sign it? I'm starting to doubt.. I think it's gonna take that contract and Coughlin to go, for Ramsey to stay..

Then there's no deal.  I would never accede to a player's demand that someone else be fired.  Never ever ever.  Because if you do that, then you are allowing that player to run the team.