Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey thread (merged)

Actually...EFFF it....I'll tell yall the full problem:

It comes down to the common "Fight the Power" attitude of many young.

In this fight you have at least two sides. Relevant to this situation, you have the FTP side, and the much more politically correct, "yes sir/no sir" side. Fresh Prince vs Carlton Banks, with Ramsey as Fresh Prince and players such as.....Myles Jack as Carlton.

The team hurries and pays players such as Jack and even make him team captain, even though his play isn't superior. While the guys who are more talented but just prefer to FTP to an extent, are parlayed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jalen Ramsey? Never heard of him.

(10-15-2019, 10:58 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: It's not just the picks.  It's also the cap savings you get in 2020/2021 by not having to pay Ramsey.  Money you can then use to sign other free agents.  So in reality you get two 1st rounders, a 4th rounder, and some free agents.  That more than makes up for the loss of Ramsey, especially since he already quit on the team.

Absolutely true.

(10-16-2019, 06:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If we had somehow managed to keep Ramsey, we would have had to have given him a huge contract; a contract big enough to land a top quality free agent or two.  

So in trading him to the Rams, not only do we get the two first rounders and the fourth rounder, we are now able to use the money we would have used to sign Ramsey, and instead sign one or two top quality free agents.  

So in effect, from this trade we get the draft picks PLUS a couple of players.  Think of it that way.

IMO, it's a home run for the Jags as someone mentioned. This positions the team to be solid for the next several years.

The alternative was either sitting on JR20 until his value dropped to a tenth of what it is or paying him $100 million and hamstringing the franchise for years. This outcome could not have been better (well...if the Rams finish 7-9 or so, even better.)

The Patriots let a very solid DE in Trey Flowers walk into FA after his 4 year rookie contract and go to Detroit after last season. Good player, good citizen but they just did not want to pay him. That's one way they stay solid, they preserve their assets.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Caldwell and Marrone are both done.
These picks are going to be for our new GM

(10-16-2019, 08:25 AM)Haterade Wrote: Caldwell and Marrone are both done.

Too early to call. If this team goes 9 - 7 and makes it into the play-off's on the arm of a 6th RD Rookie QB and the defense improves after shipping it's best player off they're not going anywhere.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-16-2019, 08:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 08:25 AM)Haterade Wrote: Caldwell and Marrone are both done.

Too early to call. If this team goes 9 - 7 and makes it into the play-off's on the arm of a 6th RD Rookie QB and the defense improves after shipping it's best player off they're not going anywhere.
This would be fools gold again. Blake Bortles 2.0

(10-15-2019, 07:51 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Look at it this way,

1. We get a selfish ego maniac player off our team and didn't give him his pay day.

2. We got some ammo to start the rebuild.

It is most likely gonna be picks in the mid to upper 20s and I for one do not have a lot of faith that we will find starters in that range let alone top 10 talent at their position. I wish we had traded to a team that is gonnna have a worse record than the rams but we will see. Hate to be that guy but wouldnt mind seeing an mcl acl tear first game for him with the rams.

Couple of thoughts on this entire situation:

1. Great haul for Ramsey. He's an elite player (despite what some of you are saying) and the Jags got the right return for him.
2. Ramsey was a distraction to some of you and the media (not the locker room) but when he was on the field, he was one of the best. The Jags don't make it to the 2017 AFCCG without him or the playoffs for that matter.
3. Time to see if Bouye is as good as some of you think he is. I think he's a really good corner but he never shadows the other teams best player like Ramsey does. If he's really great, let's see how he fairs against Hopkins, Hilton, Evans, Julio and Allen.
4. I don't think we will see how this loss effects the defense until we play one of those elite WRs. Certainly not against the Bengals this week.
5. I understand Ramsey didn't want to be here and Sunday was the last straw for Khan but it doesn't mean losing elite talent is a good thing. This move will hopefully help the Jags in the long haul with the extra picks and money they will save but I also don't want to sit here in 3 years saying "Man. If we had a really good corner, this defense would be great". That's exactly what the Raiders are doing right now with their pass rush once they lost Mack.

The situation escalated to a point of no return. Ramsey is a Ram and I hope they lose out (even thought they play the Falcons and Bengals next lol). Herndon and Bouye both need to step up. This also bears repeating that you should never get too attached to a player on a team you root for (unless its Ovechkin.... I love him) because they will most likely leave one day. Loved Ramsey when he was here but he's gone so it's moving on time.

(10-16-2019, 08:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Couple of thoughts on this entire situation:

1. Great haul for Ramsey. He's an elite player (despite what some of you are saying) and the Jags got the right return for him.
2. Ramsey was a distraction to some of you and the media (not the locker room) but when he was on the field, he was one of the best. The Jags don't make it to the 2017 AFCCG without him or the playoffs for that matter.
3. Time to see if Bouye is as good as some of you think he is. I think he's a really good corner but he never shadows the other teams best player like Ramsey does. If he's really great, let's see how he fairs against Hopkins, Hilton, Evans, Julio and Allen.
4. I don't think we will see how this loss effects the defense until we play one of those elite WRs. Certainly not against the Bengals this week.
5. I understand Ramsey didn't want to be here and Sunday was the last straw for Khan but it doesn't mean losing elite talent is a good thing. This move will hopefully help the Jags in the long haul with the extra picks and money they will save but I also don't want to sit here in 3 years saying "Man. If we had a really good corner, this defense would be great". That's exactly what the Raiders are doing right now with their pass rush once they lost Mack.

The situation escalated to a point of no return. Ramsey is a Ram and I hope they lose out (even thought they play the Falcons and Bengals next lol). Herndon and Bouye both need to step up. This also bears repeating that you should never get too attached to a player on a team you root for (unless its Ovechkin.... I love him) because they will most likely leave one day. Loved Ramsey when he was here but he's gone so it's moving on time.

Ramsey isn't going to be happy in zone 66% of the time.

Ramsey also isn't going to be happy being a complete and total nobody in LA. The best he can hope for is to be LeBron's cabana boy.

(10-16-2019, 08:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 08:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Couple of thoughts on this entire situation:

Ramsey isn't going to be happy in zone 66% of the time.

Ramsey also isn't going to be happy being a complete and total nobody in LA. The best he can hope for is to be LeBron's cabana boy.
I don't really care if Ramsey is happy lol

(10-15-2019, 08:21 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Horrible move. Yet another example of this league showing that it's turning into a place where if you don't want to play for your team then you just show out and you'll get what you want. Plus as others have mentioned, we just traded away someone that was one of the best picks we ever made in the first round to what will become a late first round pick that we have a basically zero chance to turn into a player like Ramsey.

I agree 100% I think I would have told him we are gonna keep you through your contract and franchise tag you for both years and by then your career will be on the downhill side see how many teams want you then. Late first round picks are rarely gonna get you a top 10 talent at their position. But we will see I hope we are proven way wrong on this.

Hope Ramsey finds the safe place he is looking for

Hope the Rams are garbage this year and next year. They can be good after that.

I am constantly amazed at how so many here can see and predict the future ....
You all must make a fortune in the stock market.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

2 First round picks and 1 Fourth round pick

I'm HURRICANE!!! and I approve this message.

.... just remember, the Steelers lost both Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell and only got a single 3rd round pick as compensation. The Jags were placed in a similar predicament as the Steelers and came out smelling like a rose.

Hes gonna play the Falcons next?  But I thought you said his back was hurt?

(10-16-2019, 08:49 AM)wiki23 Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 08:21 PM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Horrible move. Yet another example of this league showing that it's turning into a place where if you don't want to play for your team then you just show out and you'll get what you want. Plus as others have mentioned, we just traded away someone that was one of the best picks we ever made in the first round to what will become a late first round pick that we have a basically zero chance to turn into a player like Ramsey.

I agree 100% I think I would have told him we are gonna keep you through your contract and franchise tag you for both years and by then your career will be on the downhill side see how many teams want you then. Late first round picks are rarely gonna get you a top 10 talent at their position. But we will see I hope we are proven way wrong on this.

Why would you do such a thing?  That is crazy.  And childish.  You'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Your little revenge would come at a huge cost for this franchise.

(10-15-2019, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: NOT rebuilding?

Let's start with the defense.

Calais Campbell will be 34 next year and has a high cap figure. 

Dareus will be 30 next year and has a higher cap figure.

Ramsey is now gone, and we''ll need to replace him with a high quality CB.

Who knows if Ngakoue will be here?

Right off the bat, we are looking at a minimum of four players we will realistically need to replace within the next year or two, and that says nothing of possible failures at both S positions, to say nothing of what you might think of Jack and Williams.

The offense is in need of quality linemen and playmakers.

We have no TE.  After an interesting start, Conley has disappeared from the offense.  While he's still young, Jawaan Taylor's performance has been concerning to say the least.  Nobody is truly happy with Cann.  Linder has never played a complete season.  Few seem happy with Robinson, and most view Norwell as a disappointment at best..

All of this assumes we keep the same schemes.

If the team does not win, Khan has given indication that he will clean house, and who knows what the personnel requirements will be with a new coach?

If the new coach doesn't like Foles or Minshew, you could add QB to the list.

haha, well good thing we got rid of him and got all those picks since we are in rebuild mode.  

Overreacting much?  hahaha Laughing

One would of thought we just lost Prime or Champ Bailey lol

Overreacting?!?

I've been talking about a possible rebuild for months, dating back to the early re-sign Yannick discussions.  

Furthermore, the age and salary cap concerns for Campbell and Dareus exists wholly independent of Ramsey.  Had Ramsey not been traded, Campbell would still be 34 next year with a high cap number, while Dareus would still be 30 with an even higher cap number.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Just found out about this this morning. I don't see this as a winning situation for anyone but Ramsey, assuming the Rams turn things around and start a streak these next few weeks.

He was doing everything he could to game the system. We all saw it and knew it. Even if there was a significant amount of money that could have convinced him to stay, can you imagine his attitude problems down the road, being paid well but the team maybe not playing well? There was no other way out of this. Management had no choice.

Glad they got two firsts out of it, but I hope they use them wisely. I don't hate Caldwell but I can't help but feel like he's allergic to first rounders. The future is gonna be a struggle until this team can really achieve some true form of consistency. I just hope guys like Fournette step up and become true team leaders and purge the locker room of this nasty diva drama for the foreseeable future anyway. That's about all you can hope for right now. This was the best ending Jacksonville could have done with a bad situation

I just don't wanna see Ramsey win a superbowl anytime soon. I really don't.

(10-16-2019, 08:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 08:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Too early to call. If this team goes 9 - 7 and makes it into the play-off's on the arm of a 6th RD Rookie QB and the defense improves after shipping it's best player off they're not going anywhere.
This would be fools gold again. Blake Bortles 2.0

Minshew has better mechanics than Bortles ever displayed here. So I don't buy into it being fools gold completely. We all have our opinions of Caldwell, Coughlin & Marrone. But they still have this year to fix it and improve upon quite a bit of things. 

But, it also wouldn't hurt my feelings if they decided to clean house with 18 picks to use over the next two years. Hopefully they gain a General Manager smart enough to move back a little instead of trying to force these picks into being something that may not be there at all. 

We'll see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2019, 09:06 AM by rhanna2.)

I'm glad that piece of trash is finally off our team. The problem is that the owner is going to pull an about face at the end of the year and give the head office and all coaches another chance because they didn't have their "star player" for a part of the year and they really need some more time to see if they can affect a change in the team that will finally put a winning formula here in Jacksonville. Watch it and be ready for it when it happens, because it will. Marrone and his bunch of misfits will be back here in Jax next year.

Oh, I hear he's playing on Sunday so his back got better, what a miracle.