Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Flint Minshew II - (merged threads)

(10-31-2019, 05:19 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Answer me this :

If Minshew keeps the start the whole season, do you still want to fire EVP, GM and HC?

I'd still be ok with firing TC even if we make the playoffs

I agree with Coughlin but The DC wash is ughhhhh.  It's like i hate his defense but then he cleans it up a little and even when he doesn't the stats aren't that bad.  He must be doing something right but im always on the edge of fire him please.  If the stats look good then i guess i cant say anything.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: Snapchat-775143842.jpg]

All in on Min.

#JortsOnDeck

(11-01-2019, 08:54 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: #JortsOnDeck

I didn't cut mine quite as short. I don't have the quads for them lol

Hahahahaha nice!

One reason I have wanted Minshew to keep starting is so we can see how his "good enough" arm fares in a wintry cold, windy, raining/snowing road game that he is going to have to perform in on the way to a SB if he becomes the franchise QB, but that doesn't look likely this season with our schedule.

(11-03-2019, 08:50 AM)Upper Wrote: One reason I have wanted Minshew to keep starting is so we can see how his "good enough" arm fares in a wintry cold, windy, raining/snowing road game that he is going to have to perform in on the way to a SB if he becomes the franchise QB, but that doesn't look likely this season with our schedule.

Good chance it will be snowy and cold on January 19th, 2020 when he leads us into NE for the AFCCG.

(11-03-2019, 08:50 AM)Upper Wrote: One reason I have wanted Minshew to keep starting is so we can see how his "good enough" arm fares in a wintry cold, windy, raining/snowing road game that he is going to have to perform in on the way to a SB if he becomes the franchise QB, but that doesn't look likely this season with our schedule.

Which road game so you think will be like that? Here's the remaining away schedule:

At Indy (dome)
At Tennessee (only real shot at what you're looking for)
At Oakland
At Atlanta.

I said that doesn't look likely...

(11-03-2019, 09:06 AM)Upper Wrote: I said that doesn't look likely...

Okay, so even if he keeps starting is not likely something we'll find out.

That said I think it's a quite overrated idea. He managed in some very windy games already this year.

(11-03-2019, 09:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:06 AM)Upper Wrote: I said that doesn't look likely...

Okay, so even if he keeps starting is not likely something we'll find out.

That said I think it's a quite overrated idea. He managed in some very windy games already this year.

It's kind of like the Andy Dalton theory. Dalton has started out gangbusters many seasons and everyone started jumping on his hype train, then sure enough winter comes and his barely good enough arm isn't good enough when facing the winter elements. I don't know if Minshew will have that fate (nor will he have to face them as often), but they share some of those barely good enough physical arm traits.

(11-03-2019, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Okay, so even if he keeps starting is not likely something we'll find out.

It's kind of like the Andy Dalton theory. Dalton has started out gangbusters many seasons and everyone started jumping on his hype train, then sure enough winter comes and his barely good enough arm isn't good enough when facing the winter elements. I don't know if Minshew will have that fate (nor will he have to face them as often), but they share some of those barely good enough physical arm traits.

I always thought Dalton's biggest problem is the same as a lot of QB's, he doesn't do well under pressure. Minshew blows pressure away. https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comment...the_blitz/

(11-03-2019, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:12 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Okay, so even if he keeps starting is not likely something we'll find out.

I'm sure he had some cold games playing at washington state last year that could give an idea on how he plays in them. And in Denver he was driving the ball with like 25 mph winds in his face.

(11-03-2019, 09:22 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote: It's kind of like the Andy Dalton theory. Dalton has started out gangbusters many seasons and everyone started jumping on his hype train, then sure enough winter comes and his barely good enough arm isn't good enough when facing the winter elements. I don't know if Minshew will have that fate (nor will he have to face them as often), but they share some of those barely good enough physical arm traits.

I'm sure he had some cold games playing at washington state last year that could give an idea on how he plays in them. And in Denver he was driving the ball with like 25 mph winds in his face.

And that game he was 57% completions for 213 yards with a 6.5 YPA, lowest of the season after the Saints. Now add a brick hard half frozen football and probably some kind of precipitation. I think it's a fair concern.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:39 AM by JackCity.)

(11-03-2019, 09:32 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:22 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'm sure he had some cold games playing at washington state last year that could give an idea on how he plays in them. And in Denver he was driving the ball with like 25 mph winds in his face.

And that game he was 57% completions for 213 yards with a 6.5 YPA, lowest of the season after the Saints. Now add a brick hard half frozen football and probably some kind of precipitation. I think it's a fair concern.

Was that because of the weather or because of the pass rush and elite pass defense?

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:51 AM by Upper.)

Both. I'm clearly not saying he would fail, but it's a fair question that I would like to see a sample or two of before making any judgements. I do not want to risk anchoring ourselves to a fair weather Dalton type.

I don't think it matters at this point.

(11-03-2019, 09:43 AM)Upper Wrote: Both. I'm clearly not saying he would fail, but it's a fair question that I would like to see a sample or two of before making any judgements. I do not want to risk anchoring ourselves to a fair weather Dalton type.

I'd say the elite pass defense and pass rush that day was way more to blame than the weather for a rookie QB.  

And nobody is anchoring themselves to to a 6th round rookie

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 08:09 PM by iam.)

There are two things I see wrong with Minshew, defenses rush Minshew to keep him in the pocket knowing that his time clock will make him jittery to run out of the pocket hoping he runs into trouble. For some reason he gets smaller and panics because he can’t see over the defense to make the right read. Also, his arm limits the defense to be honest on deep routes. Minshew has never aired out a 40 plus 50 plus 5 to 7 step drop to let the defense know they have to honor that option..

Defenses were starting to play short routes and the back shoulder passes. This may work on horrible teams, but really good teams you have to be smarter and strategic and not limit yourself.

At one point in today’s game they showed a star of Minshew never being touched or sacked, but you could never tell on how jittery he was. He definitely see a lot of Phantom pressure instead of sliding and making the big play. He had a lot of time in the first three quarters to make those plays.