Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hockenson Vs. Fant Midseason Report

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 04:37 AM by Bullseye.)

I know Hockenson was a popular choice among Jaguars fans during the pre draft process.

I would have been happy with a Hockenson pick if Allen were not on the board (even if shocked because TC has never drafted a TE in the first round), but I preferred Fant for his athletic ability.  I liked both players though.

I decided to take a look at their numbers after this week's games, and the similarity is uncanny.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?a...&Submit=Go

Their productivity is separated by exactly one catch and 4 yards.

Fant has one catch more and 4 yards more.  Hockenson has the larger ypc average by .5 yards.

Both have 2 TDs on the year.  Hockenson has one more catch of 20+ yards  (6) while Fant has one more catch of 40+ yards.

Fant does have a fumble.

Halfway through their rookie seasons, both appear to have bright futures.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I haven't seen much of Fant, but I've been very impressed with Hockenson. He is as advertised. I would've loved to have him in a Jags' uniform, but we couldn't pass on Allen. If we could draft over again, I'd choose Allen 100 out of 100 times.

(11-04-2019, 07:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I haven't seen much of Fant, but I've been very impressed with Hockenson. He is as advertised. I would've loved to have him in a Jags' uniform, but we couldn't pass on Allen. If we could draft over again, I'd choose Allen 100 out of 100 times.

(Emphasis added)

As to the emphasized portion, we are in complete agreement.

Thing is, Allen is just scratching the surface.  He is producing mostly on power.

Once he develops more pass rush moves...man o man!

You didnt even bring up blocking. Most wanted Hock because he is an elite blocker added with being a good pass catcher

(11-04-2019, 08:25 AM)gatorsandjags Wrote: You didnt even bring up blocking.  Most wanted Hock because he is an elite blocker added with being a good pass catcher
During the pre draft process, I pointed out scouting reports that indicated there wasn't too much difference in blocking abilities between the two.  
Not many blocking stats available on NFL.com.  Taken together, I assert I am not avoiding the issue.

However, I hasten to add that since this is a participatory forum, and the internet is available to anyone, if you wish to add some sort of quantifiable analysis to it, have at it.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 09:04 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(11-04-2019, 08:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:25 AM)gatorsandjags Wrote: You didnt even bring up blocking.  Most wanted Hock because he is an elite blocker added with being a good pass catcher
During the pre draft process, I pointed out scouting reports that indicated there wasn't too much difference in blocking abilities between the two.  
Not many blocking stats available on NFL.com.  Taken together, I assert I am not avoiding the issue.

However, I hasten to add that since this is a participatory forum, and the internet is available to anyone, if you wish to add some sort of quantifiable analysis to it, have at it.
I wouldnt say there wasnt much of a difference when it came to blocking.  Hockenson was one of the best blocking TEs to ever come out.  This was beaten to death already though. Although one article said  Hockenson is 20th in blocking and Fant is in the bottom 10 for TEs.  Hock has battle injuries this year with his latest being a concussion.

(11-04-2019, 09:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote: During the pre draft process, I pointed out scouting reports that indicated there wasn't too much difference in blocking abilities between the two.  

I wouldnt say there wasnt much of a difference when it came to blocking.  Hockenson was one of the best blocking TEs to ever come out.  This was beaten to death already though. Although one article said  Hockenson is 20th in blocking and Fant is in the bottom 10 for TEs.  Hock has battle injuries this year with his latest being a concussion

Do you have any quantifiable data on their blocking in the NFL?

(11-04-2019, 09:04 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldnt say there wasnt much of a difference when it came to blocking.  Hockenson was one of the best blocking TEs to ever come out.  This was beaten to death already though. Although one article said  Hockenson is 20th in blocking and Fant is in the bottom 10 for TEs.  Hock has battle injuries this year with his latest being a concussion

Do you have any quantifiable data on their blocking in the NFL?

thats what I was talking about.  One article said Hock is 20th and Fant is bottom 10. The article was like a week or 2 ago

(11-04-2019, 09:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/should...hockenson/

Decent article but a couple of points.

1.  It also brings attention to Hockenson's drops (though in fairness, Fant's drops are not explored in the article).

2,  How do they evaluate blocking to determine their grades?

Now the clips of Hockenson's blocking in college were great, and it would be no surprise to know he grades out well as a blocker.  But I would like to know how PFF (I have problems with that site anyway) arrives at its grades.

Either way, I stand by my original point that both players will be productive TEs for years to come.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 09:52 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I honestly think the Lions was a bad fit for Hockenson, as I feel he should of went to a team that likes to run the ball more than the Lions. As I feel we made the right pick with Allen, I dont think he would of found a better fit than if we drafted him. Not sure about grades but I have seen him make some of those same nasty blocks this year with the Lions as he did in college

(11-04-2019, 09:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I honestly think the Lions was a bad fit for Hockenson, as I feel he should of went to a team that likes to run the ball more than the Lions.  As I feel we made the right pick with Allen, I dont think he would of found a better fit than if we drafted him

This may be true (assuming TC still would have pulled the trigger on a TE in round 1).

I recall seeing stats showing how much more productive the team has been running to the left as opposed to running right.

I wonder how much more productive the running to the right would be if we drafted Hockenson and dedicated the strong side to the right and rand behind him and Taylor.

I like Fant better.

Hockenson is playing with a much better QB.

(11-04-2019, 10:16 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I like Fant better.

Stafford dont know how to utilize his TE.  Did you see what happen when Ebron left the Lions?

(11-04-2019, 10:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 10:16 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I like Fant better.

Stafford dont know how to utilize his TE.  Did you see what happen when Ebron left the Lions?

Yeah but have you seen Flacco play? lol

But yeah, you are right about that one (no sarcasm).