Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offense of playcalling

I’d like your opinion on the offense of playcalling. It seems to me it’s too predictable and vanilla. No misdirection no screens no flea flicker just up the middle or in the flat. What’s your take?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 11:00 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Yep.  We're back to the philosophy that we think we're better than the opponent and if we simply play our style of game, we will win.

I heard all week on 1010xl how banged up and terrible the Texans defense is.  Perhaps that thought process was within the minds of our coaching staff as well.

Perhaps we should bring in Willie Taggert for the rest of the season and run Founette in the wildcat play after play ..... LOL

(11-04-2019, 10:53 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: I’d like your opinion on the offense of playcalling. It seems to me it’s too predictable and vanilla. No misdirection no screens no flea flicker just up the middle or in the flat. What’s your take?

We have the plays and the players to execute them.  I've seen them sprinkled in here or there during the season.  The problem is the gameplanning and/or putting them all together at the right times.  We seem too conservative.  We run the same plays over and over that don't work and then run a play that does, only to revert back to what hasn't worked again.  I don't know if it's trying to outsmart the defense or because the OC is expecting a different look from the opposing DC.  That could be fixed with audibles but i'm not sure that is Gardner's strong suit rn.  It is SMH worthy but we definitely have the plays that work.  Using them correctly is an entirely different story and may be the OC trying to do to much.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

The run game playbook lacks misdirection almost completely it would seem.
That's my only real complaint. I'd like more creativity there. The "impose your will" approach isn't enough.

Shots downfield are being called but not executed. I'd be fine with a few more play action calls on 1st and 2nd downs though. The constant complaint about no deep passing is largely a false narrative.

Also: Let's not forget that we've been watching a 6th round rookie playing from a book designed for someone else.

I felt it might’ve been a good idea to go to a no huddle offense to put pressure on the Texans. It may be that Minshew being a rookie could not execute a no huddle offense. So I think it’s important that we go to foles after the break. It seems that Minshew is so determined to go down feel he missed some open men on crossing routes that could’ve helped on third down. But I personally don’t see very much adjustments to the offense ofDuring the game

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Watching the "screen pass" where Linder and Norwell pretty much fell on their faces trying to block one guy tells you all you need to know. We do not have agile linemen who can be used creatively; they are bulldozers not sports cars. We run WR screens and backs to the flats, that's all we have the personnel to do. We also have a running back that everyone complains has no vision so we want to make the plays complex and rely on timing? I don't think the playbook is the problem.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-04-2019, 11:03 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: I felt it might’ve been a good idea to go to a no huddle offense to put pressure on the Texans. It may be that Minshew being a rookie could not execute a no huddle offense. So I think it’s important that we go to foles after the break. It seems that Minshew is so determined to go down feel he missed some open men on crossing routes that could’ve helped on third down. But I personally don’t see very much adjustments to the offense ofDuring the game
No he looked great in no huddle in the last Texans game. The problem is that this team went conservative in that game and brought the exact same gameplan to this game. Meanwhile the Texans adjusted on both sides and killed the Jags because of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk