Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bye Week / Week Eleven News

I read that the Jags worked out two linebackers and an OLB/DE this week.
They were all bigger guys in the Leon Jacobs/Lerentee McCray mold or larger. 
Not sure if they are looking to stock depth or fill what I think may be an open spot on the PS since they promoted a CB and WR/PR last week.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-07-2019, 09:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I read that the Jags worked out two linebackers and an OLB/DE this week.
They were all bigger guys in the Leon Jacobs/Lerentee McCray mold or larger. 
Not sure if they are looking to stock depth or fill what I think may be an open spot on the PS since they promoted a CB and WR/PR last week.

A PS addition makes sense.
'02

At this point of the season, signing a LB as an starter/contributor would mean that we're in trouble.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Chaaammmpppiiooonship

I've been preaching the need for a decent sized MLB for over a year now. Glad to see our General Manager, Executive Vice President of Football Operations, and Head Coach, who are paid ~ $10m per year in the aggregate to evaluate talent (as their full time job) finally realized this.

(11-07-2019, 10:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I've been preaching the need for a decent sized MLB for over a year now.  Glad to see our General Manager, Executive Vice President of Football Operations, and Head Coach, who are paid ~ $10m per year in the aggregate to evaluate talent (as their full time job) finally realized this.

They just paid Jack big MLB bucks... I doubt they are looking at replacements for him, despite how much he is struggling right now.

I've been a big Jack supporter but dude needs to clean up his play big time or I'm gonna bail on him and he won't have much support left.
Though that contract probably guarantees his roster spot and starting job for awhile

(11-07-2019, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 10:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I've been preaching the need for a decent sized MLB for over a year now.  Glad to see our General Manager, Executive Vice President of Football Operations, and Head Coach, who are paid ~ $10m per year in the aggregate to evaluate talent (as their full time job) finally realized this.

They just paid Jack big MLB bucks... I doubt they are looking at replacements for him, despite how much he is struggling right now.

I've been a big Jack supporter but dude needs to clean up his play big time or I'm gonna bail on him and he won't have much support left.
Though that contract probably guarantees his roster spot and starting job for awhile

I maybe can see them moving Jack outside, but he's definitely starting keeping in mind that he's a stack backer who rarely ever blitzes.

That said, I don't see such a move happening this season as Jack is key to their defensive communication.

'02

(11-07-2019, 12:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote: They just paid Jack big MLB bucks... I doubt they are looking at replacements for him, despite how much he is struggling right now.

I maybe can see them moving Jack outside, but he's definitely starting keeping in mind that he's a stack backer who rarely ever blitzes.

That said, I don't see such a move happening this season as Jack is key to their defensive communication.

Move to WILL? Big contract for a WILL backer no?
Also... giving up on Quincy Williams already?

It certainly will be interesting to see how they address the back 7 in the off season.

I don't think these workouts had anything to do with Myles Jack.  Just covering bases since they have Jacobs and Williams coming back from injury, but they may not be 100%.  
Could also be DeCamillis looking for a ST upgrade or maybe they aren't impressed by one of the 2 LBs on the PS. 

The Jack contract can be fixed easily. If he doesn't get his act together by year's end and they want him outside, just add a year to his deal and spread out the money. Problem solved. 
Either that  - or just pay him too much to play outside in 2020 then take the two year out clause and get 30+mil off the books. It's not too tragic.  

I just wish they would have made him prove it before giving him this deal prematurely.

Seen we waived Malcom Smith. Looks like we needed a spot for Foles. He hadnt had a snap on D, only ST so far but we need bodies at LB.

But Quincey should be back for Colts.

(11-07-2019, 07:15 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Seen we waived Malcom Smith. Looks like we needed a spot for Foles. He hadnt had a snap on D, only ST so far but we need bodies at LB.

I wonder if Williams gets the start at Will LB over Goode?

(11-08-2019, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 07:15 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Seen we waived Malcom Smith. Looks like we needed a spot for Foles. He hadnt had a snap on D, only ST so far but we need bodies at LB.

I think so. Quincey had some up and down plays, sake with Goode. Marrone said they guys who missed Houston should be back for the Colts so hopefully we can get a bit healthier.

(11-08-2019, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Can't teach his speed... but you can teach him to keep his gap and study film better...

I think he starts.

(11-08-2019, 09:40 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wonder if Williams gets the start at Will LB over Goode?

I think so. Quincey had some up and down plays, sake with Goode. Marrone said they guys who missed Houston should be back for the Colts so hopefully we can get a bit healthier.

Jacobs back on the strong side may help the run defense a little bit. 
If we actually use the SAM at all.  

The way the league is going offensively a base defense with three 4-3 linebackers is not going to get lots of use. 
Makes me wonder if Williams could maybe have a future role as a SS hybrid player in a big-nickel or dime package if he doesn't become the long term starter at Will. 
Of course this would assume a different coordinator in Jax.  I don't see Wash getting that creative with the talent on hand unfortunately.

(11-08-2019, 09:48 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I wonder if Williams gets the start at Will LB over Goode?

Can't teach his speed... but you can teach him to keep his gap and study film better...

I think he starts.

Good points.  Hopefully he's been doing the homework.

Yes, that's my entire point.  Miles Jack weighs 225 pounds and is only 6'1" tall.  That's extremely small for a MLB

A healthy team is vital for our second half stretch.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(11-08-2019, 10:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote: They just paid Jack big MLB bucks... I doubt they are looking at replacements for him, despite how much he is struggling right now.

Yes, that's my entire point.  Miles Jack weighs 225 pounds and is only 6'1" tall.  That's extremely small for a MLB

Lots of LBers are undersized these days... I'm only seeing a few that are taller than 6'1" and many of them are in the 220s
But we could target a guy like Murray from Oklahoma?
Jennings from Bama or Harrison from OSU?

They have the size but do any of them play in a traditional 43?

I think, if we make some changes on coach staff, we could see a change in our defensive philosophy.
A coach that better utilizes the back 7 or perhaps moves a guy like Allen all around from standing end, to hand down, to rush backer...
Maybe Myles Jack is best suited for some style of 34?

(11-08-2019, 10:57 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:17 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yes, that's my entire point.  Miles Jack weighs 225 pounds and is only 6'1" tall.  That's extremely small for a MLB

Lots of LBers are undersized these days... I'm only seeing a few that are taller than 6'1" and many of them are in the 220s

I think, if we make some changes on coach staff, we could see a change in our defensive philosophy.
A coach that better utilizes the back 7 or perhaps moves a guy like Allen all around from standing end, to hand down, to rush backer...

a.  Myles Jack easily weighs 240 pounds, not 225.  I stood face to face with him and shook his hand just a few months ago and I feel confident in that appraisal. He's taller than Bobby Wagner and easily within 5 pounds of him - and that's the prototype in this defensive scheme. 

b.  People were livid here because Poz was too slow in coverage in a scheme that demanded the MLB cover TEs and receivers at times. Now the faster guy is too small.  *shrug*

c.  Myles' size probably contributes to his run fit issues when he's effectively blocked out of plays at times, but I think his inability to play with gap discipline and his tendency to be easily duped my pre-snap movement and misdirection are much greater liabilities.  He doesn't play smart IMO.

(11-08-2019, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:57 AM)Kane Wrote: Lots of LBers are undersized these days... I'm only seeing a few that are taller than 6'1" and many of them are in the 220s

a.  Myles Jack easily weighs 240 pounds, not 225.  I stood face to face with him and shook his hand just a few months ago and I feel confident in that appraisal. He's taller than Bobby Wagner and easily within 5 pounds of him - and that's the prototype in this defensive scheme. 

b.  People were livid here because Poz was too slow in coverage in a scheme that demanded the MLB cover TEs and receivers at times. Now the faster guy is too small.  *shrug*

c.  Myles' size probably contributes to his run fit issues when he's effectively blocked out of plays at times, but I think his inability to play with gap discipline and his tendency to be easily duped my pre-snap movement and misdirection are much greater liabilities.  He doesn't play smart IMO.

"Google" lists him at 225
NFL lists him at 244

This is probably the worst knock though. Nevermind size... if you're the MLB and not playing smart, that's an issue. And I wonder if that is something that can be fixed (football IQ)

(11-08-2019, 09:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 09:40 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think so. Quincey had some up and down plays, sake with Goode. Marrone said they guys who missed Houston should be back for the Colts so hopefully we can get a bit healthier.

Jacobs back on the strong side may help the run defense a little bit. 
If we actually use the SAM at all.  

The way the league is going offensively a base defense with three 4-3 linebackers is not going to get lots of use. 
Makes me wonder if Williams could maybe have a future role as a SS hybrid player in a big-nickel or dime package if he doesn't become the long term starter at Will. 
Of course this would assume a different coordinator in Jax.  I don't see Wash getting that creative with the talent on hand unfortunately.

That's a good point. O's will try to get LB's in mismatches with TE's and RB's and with their size and speed now, it's hard to find guys who can do it all and it does seem the attitude has been speed can cover mistakes. Speed can cover bad coverage. I'm not sure how much nickel we have run and Hayden has had a solid year so far, the nickel shouldnt be more effective in run D than a SAM LB.

I always felt the Steelers 'Blitzbugh' D system was a solid base system to build around. 3-4 look, theyd send at least 5 guys every time, who and where they would be coming from youd never know and just tight man outside and 2 safeties deep. It got pressure on QB's, OL's struggled to know where to protect, man coverage made the QB hold more giving DL more time. I like the idea of having a base system that can do the things we want and then the players we add can give you the chance to adapt and innovate it to be even more effective. That's something I put against Wash I'm afraid, hes had a very talented group and for a few years but I dont see much of a unique playbook hes been able to build.