Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BULLSEYE'S 6th Annual "THIS WEEK IN THE AFCS" - Week 11

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 12:45 AM by KodiakJag.)

I'm filling in for Bullseye while health issues prevent him from posting.  Bullseye, we all miss you and hope your situation improves.

5 years ago, Bullseye started this column.  Here is the link to the original post.  From that first post that drew only 2 responses before the games finished, interest in his annual pick'em pool has grown substantially and now includes many of the regular participants on the board.  Thanks to Bullseye for starting this tradition, now in its 6th season.  We'll do our best to keep it going in your absence.

Last Sunday sucked.  In a week that saw multiple upsets, the surprisingly resilient Titans managed to steal one at home from the Chiefs.  Later that day, the Colts somehow found a way to lose at home to the visiting Dolphins.  Brian Hoyer's performance as Colt's QB in that game could be summed up by the famous words of Bill Parcells:  "incredible ineptitude".  Congratulations to the few participants who managed to avoid last week's 0-2 trap.  Now for the picks:

Game 1  (Houston @ Baltimore)

This week, the Texans (6-3) travel to Baltimore (7-2) to take on the red-hot Ravens, who, besides playing some outstanding football lately, are the only team to knock off the Patriots so far this season.  That 37-20 thumping in week 9 became a rallying cry for Pats haters and solidified Baltimore's Lamar Jackson's status as a quarterback who won't wilt on big stages.  Riding a 5-game win streak that includes victories against the Patriots, Steelers and Seahawks, the Ravens figure to present a formidable challenge to the Texans.
The Texans are coming off an unexpected blowout of the Jaguars in London which established them as the front runner for the AFCS division crown.  Winners of 4 of their last 5 games in which they averaged 32 points per game, the Texans enter a difficult 3-game stretch in which they will have to play the Ravens, Colts and Patriots in successive weeks.

This game will showcase offensive powerhouses going up against average defenses.  My guess is the Ravens will pull out the win in a high-scoring game.

Ravens  30
Texans  26

Game 2  (Jacksonville @ Indianapolis)

Our Jaguars travel to Lucas Oil Stadium to take on the Colts in this season's first meeting between these two divisional rivals.  Some similarities come to the forefront.  Both teams have similar W/L records (4-5 vs. 5-4).  Both teams are still hoping to be playoff-bound.  Both teams have been competitive in almost every game.  In their last games, both teams saw poor performances by backup quarterbacks lead to "home" losses that were expected to be wins.  Both teams have starting quarterbacks coming back from significant injuries.

The similarities end there.  In the race to win the AFCS, the Colts still control their own destiny, while the Jaguars do not.

Pop quiz question #1:  Whose defense gives up more yards per game?
Pop quiz question #2:  Whose offense gains more yards per game?

My initial answer was "Colts" to both.  If your answer to both questions was "Jaguars" then people may look at you funny but you would be correct.

In this game, several questions come to the forefront, and they mostly revolve around the Jaguars QB position:

Will Foles be fully healthy?
Will Foles have to spend a few games to knock rust off and get up to game speed?
Will he be gun-shy because of the injury?
Is Foles really any good?
Will the O-line hold up and will the offense rally around him?
Will our defense finally play up to its ability like we know they can?

Too many question marks for me to be confident in a Jags victory this week, to be honest.

Colts  17
Jaguars  13

[font=Arial] 
[/font]

[font=Arial]Last Week  0-2[/font]
[font=Arial]Overall  21-11[/font]

[font=Arial]Pete Prisco last week  1-1[/font]
[font=Arial]Pete Prisco overall  16-16[/font]
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Great job

And I never "pickled them", I always tuned in for y'all's picks though.

I hope he's doing well

Going jags out of loyalty and I think we have the colts number.
Iwant the ttexans to lose so they will certainly win.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 08:22 AM by Psychop1.)

16-15 overall

Texans
Jaguars

I think the Texans have enough firepower to keep up with Baltimore.

I don’t think the Jags are the better team but I do think they are the more resilient team.

Jags
Ravens
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

ravens
colts

Thanks Kodiak.

16-16 overall

Rolling with Ravens and Jags

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 10:57 AM by The Drifter.)

19-13 Overall

Indy over Jags
Ravens over Texans
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Great job kodiak
[Image: incredulous.gif]

1-1 last week
15-13 overall

Ravens over Texans
Jaguars over Colts
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

First off, great job on putting that synopsis together, Kodiak, you did a whole lot better than a lot of us could have in Bullseye's absence. If we still had rep points, I'd ask the mods to award you 1000 for your effort.

On to my failings....16-16 on the year heading into this weekend.

BAL 33 HOU 24 - Home field helps the Ravens get the win. This may be appointment viewing matchup of the week.

IND 21 JAX 17 - Sure, the team has had around two weeks to get used to the change at the most important position on the field, but the rust still shows. The horshoes' run game proves the difference and we lose a close one.

If there's anyone deserving to lose to BYE, it is the stinkin' tacks. Since it wasn't included in the original post, though, I won't pick against them this week.

First off, great job Kodiak.  Much better job than I could have done.

My current record:

17-13 (Official)
17-15 (Unofficial)

I'll select Jaguars and Ravens this weekend.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

First of all lets all keep bullseyes in our thoughts,and prayers.   secondely excellent job  Kodiak .

my overall record is 18-14  this weeks my picks will be 

Ravans playing at home should win this game. 

colts lost at home to the guppies,you would think jags could beat the colts,but unforttanttly colts have the better head Coach. colts win 

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Gimme the Ravens and Jags this week.
14-18 for the season
Jaguars Fundamentalist

18-14

This week

Ravens
clots

17-15 so far, thanks chiefs.

I'll go Ravens and Jags.

20-12 coming in.

Jags- wow, another tough one. I've gone back and forth on this one

Ravens
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I don't venture here often, anymore. So whatever is up with Bullseye I sincerely hope he will be okay ... Great guy, and a great fan. Love him for all he brings to not just the Jaguars fan base, but the NFL in general. Not once do I recall him being rude to opposing fans.

Get Well, Bullseye.   Love

(11-16-2019, 03:58 PM)Sammy Wrote: I don't venture here often, anymore. So whatever is up with Bullseye I sincerely hope he will be okay ... Great guy, and a great fan. Love him for all he brings to not just the Jaguars fan base, but the NFL in general. Not once do I recall him being rude to opposing fans.

Get Well, Bullseye.   Love

Don't be such a stranger around here.

This thread started by Bullseye explains it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ravens
Colts

18-13