Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-18-2019, 08:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think Foles deserves much blame for the loss.
I think if a running game was established, we would not have seen Foles struggling nearly as much.
Our oline just got manhandled against the run and the pass, and Fournette looked like he was wearing lead boots early on.
By the second half they just gave up on being physical and asked Foles to do everything with very little time in the pocket.

The running game may have been a problem but Foles did not look good, made some bad throws (especially deep), and some bad decisions.  And that was the first half.  I couldn't take anymore mid-third quarter and started working on projects around the house.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You can't watch that game and think Foles is the answer at QB. Colts were down starting corners, every single offensive weapon was healthy and playing but yet he went 8 straight drives without points?! Come on now. His deep balls were some of the worst I've seen in a long time. He just lobbed it up there with zero velocity in hopes someone would catch it.

Again, there was no reason to start Foles because he's not giving you something Minshew can't. Not to mention, Minshew can scramble.

(11-18-2019, 08:45 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think Foles deserves much blame for the loss.
I think if a running game was established, we would not have seen Foles struggling nearly as much.
Our oline just got manhandled against the run and the pass, and Fournette looked like he was wearing lead boots early on.
By the second half they just gave up on being physical and asked Foles to do everything with very little time in the pocket.

The running game may have been a problem but Foles did not look good, made some bad throws (especially deep), and some bad decisions.  And that was the first half.  I couldn't take anymore mid-third quarter and started working on projects around the house.

Doesn't matter who is under center this team is a disaster. If we had drafted Mahomes or Watson or Jackson it would be the same results. The oline is inexperienced and slow. The dline is good but the LBs don't fit with the poor defensive scheme  In the Caldwell era, teams have owned us on 3rd and long. Our down and distance is atrocious. 

This is a failure across the board.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-18-2019, 09:46 AM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:45 AM)Rico Wrote: The running game may have been a problem but Foles did not look good, made some bad throws (especially deep), and some bad decisions.  And that was the first half.  I couldn't take anymore mid-third quarter and started working on projects around the house.

Doesn't matter who is under center this team is a disaster. If we had drafted Mahomes or Watson or Jackson it would be the same results. The oline is inexperienced and slow. The dline is good but the LBs don't fit with the poor defensive scheme  In the Caldwell era, teams have owned us on 3rd and long. Our down and distance is atrocious. 

This is a failure across the board.

It does matter... we know what Foles is.. we need to know what Minshew is.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 10:10 AM by IndyJagsFan.)

When Foles plays underwhelming in Nashville and we lose there by 20, there will be some knuckleheads trying to defend him. For them, I will start "The Official Nick Foles Excuse Thread" right after the game.

(If yesterday "wasn't really Foles fault", then Minshew's above average performances with the same OL and WRs have to count Double Word Score, right?.....)

(11-18-2019, 10:10 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: When Foles plays underwhelming in Nashville and we lose there by 20, there will be some knuckleheads trying to defend him. For them, I will start "The Official Nick Foles Excuse Thread" right after the game.

(If yesterday "wasn't really Foles fault", then Minshew's above average performances with the same OL and WRs have to count Double Word Score, right?.....)

Foles played poorly yesterday. There's not really anything to defend.  

You could say that the game would have gone pretty much the same way with Minshew playing, and I think that's probably true, but there's no excuses for Foles.  

Sure the line played terribly and he had to hurry several throws, but he also made poor decisions and threw some really ugly passes with enough time and space to operate. No defending those moments and there were too many of them.

(11-18-2019, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:10 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: When Foles plays underwhelming in Nashville and we lose there by 20, there will be some knuckleheads trying to defend him. For them, I will start "The Official Nick Foles Excuse Thread" right after the game.

You could say that the game would have gone pretty much the same way with Minshew playing, and I think that's probably true, but there's no excuses for Foles.  

Sure the line played terribly and he had to hurry several throws, but he also made poor decisions and threw some really ugly passes with enough time and space to operate. No defending those moments and there were too many of them.

So do you think it's prudent to play Minshew to see what he has in the face of adversity?

The playoffs aren't happening, every team in the AFC South is better.

(11-18-2019, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Foles was off target much of the game. Even completions were high or behind and our WRs were making some good catches. 
Also, wonder if he was forcing to Chark a bit much throughout the game... saw him take a couple shots his way when he was covered and other guys were open (check downs, underneath routes).
With that defensive performance however, I would hesitate to say Minshew wins that game, though I'm sure fanboys think different.

Foles gets one more game before I'm ready to bury him. Unfortunately, with that loss to a division opponent... it pretty much buried our playoff chances.

Foles wasn't the reason we lost yesterday but he didn't help us win either. The play calling was suspect from the start. You could tell they were gonna just throw throw throw all game... which isn't who we are. Hell, it really isn't who Foles is. Run the ball. And the PA would have been able to do its thing.

But our defense got pushed around when they were running the ball often and our LBers just don't tackle. It's pathetic.
Maybe Minshew can play linebacker? Bet with his heart and attitude he'd out perform some of the guys we saw yesterday.

(11-18-2019, 10:32 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Foles played poorly yesterday. There's not really anything to defend.  

Foles was off target much of the game. Even completions were high or behind and our WRs were making some good catches. 
Also, wonder if he was forcing to Chark a bit much throughout the game... saw him take a couple shots his way when he was covered and other guys were open (check downs, underneath routes).
With that defensive performance however, I would hesitate to say Minshew wins that game, though I'm sure fanboys think different.

Foles gets one more game before I'm ready to bury him. Unfortunately, with that loss to a division opponent... it pretty much buried our playoff chances.

Foles wasn't the reason we lost yesterday but he didn't help us win either. The play calling was suspect from the start. You could tell they were gonna just throw throw throw all game... which isn't who we are. Hell, it really isn't who Foles is. Run the ball. And the PA would have been able to do its thing.

But our defense got pushed around when they were running the ball often and our LBers just don't tackle. It's pathetic.
Maybe Minshew can play linebacker? Bet with his heart and attitude he'd out perform some of the guys we saw yesterday.

I don't think Minshew would have played better than Foles. But he wouldn't have played any worse.

To me... that means you play the rookie.

I lost track of how many times I saw throws into double coverage, under thrown balls and overthrown balls.
Even my wife asked was his throwing arm the side his collarbone was broken on.

Earth to Foles.....this isn't Philly by a long shot ....so don't look for the supporting O line, TE's or receivers you had there.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

This right here. The team denies itself its identity. We are a team built to run, to grind out close wins, to gradually wear down a DL and smash a defense in the mouth.

We ran 9 times. The pass blocking was so poor that nobody had a chance to get separation from their defenders. We were starting a guy who was months removed from any in-game action, and put the onus squarely upon his recuperated shoulder to attempt to win.

Every person we've drafted early on the offensive side of the ball has been geared to that power rushing identity (Cam, Fournette, Taylor). We are not a finesse offense. We are trying to force square pegs into round holes, and it doesn't work. We  don't have those quick, twitchy RB on the roster to get fancy in the run game. I don't know if we over-coached ourselves ("Hey, they probably think we're gonna play smashmouth, so let's turn the tables and throw eleventy threeve times instead!"), or if we simply refuse to acknowledge our identity. The good teams run the plays they are built for, the defense knows it's coming, and the good teams still make it work. If we are built to rely on the run, let's at least attempt to run!

That is the entirety of the frustration of being a Jags fan. We are unsure of our identity. Because of this, we grasp at straws to find the right guys to fit the plan, we fail to develop a plan that suits the roster, and we continue to flail away in mediocrity at best.

I love the team, and will continue to support them, but dang it gets exhausting.

(11-18-2019, 10:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Foles played poorly yesterday. There's not really anything to defend.  

So do you think it's prudent to play Minshew to see what he has in the face of adversity?

You mean like leading game winning TD drives against the Broncos in Denver? or throwing for 370 and 2 TDs against the Panthers in Carolina?

Again, there was no reason to go to Foles because the Jags weren't losing games because of the QB. Now we see Foles throwing into triple coverage, have zero velocity on his throws and not have the arm strength for a hail mary from the 50?!

(11-18-2019, 10:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Personally, I think we've seen him do that already and I've seen enough of it to feel confident that I know what his strengths and weaknesses are. 

Marrone isn't likely to return him to the lineup for evaluation's sake IMO. Because he likely knows he won't be part of the kid's future after these division losses. 

The only way I see Minshew back in the lineup is if Foles totally flames out in a game where he gets decent protection. There's just very little to gain by playing him otherwise IMO. 
I'm fine with the kid learning what he can from Foles and Flip for now and just praying his next chance comes alongside an improved O-Line and a revamped run game.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 11:36 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-18-2019, 11:11 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:30 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So do you think it's prudent to play Minshew to see what he has in the face of adversity?

You mean like leading game winning TD drives against the Broncos in Denver? or throwing for 370 and 2 TDs against the Panthers in Carolina?

Again, there was no reason to go to Foles because the Jags weren't losing games because of the QB. Now we see Foles throwing into triple coverage, have zero velocity on his throws and not have the arm strength for a hail mary from the 50?!

I can't stand the waste of money we put into Foles' hype but there was a reason.  You can't pay a guy 88 million dollars and state we are just a decent QB away from sustained success and not give him a shot.  I won't even pile on the man for his performance.   Put Minshew in and don't worsen the trade value for sending him away in the future.  More bad games = Less teams interested.  Let other coaches make the excuses others are making and say its the coaching and team around him, their(Jags) QB can thrive here.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-18-2019, 11:35 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 11:11 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: You mean like leading game winning TD drives against the Broncos in Denver? or throwing for 370 and 2 TDs against the Panthers in Carolina?

I can't stand the waste of money we put into Foles' hype but there was a reason.  You can't pay a guy 88 million dollars and state we are just a decent QB away from sustained success and not give him a shot.  I won't even pile on the man for his performance.   Put Minshew in and don't worsen the trade value for sending him away in the future.  More bad games = Less teams interested.  Let other coaches make the excuses others are making and say its the coaching and team around him, their(Jags) QB can thrive here.

I liken Foles to Matt Flynn at this point. He should be replaced by the rookie and his trade value is about a 5th to someone who can absorb the contract.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 11:49 AM by Upper.)

I think it's fair to question if Foles really even wants it. He had to be begged out of retirement at one point. His quotes about just being blessed to be playing a game and worry about getting home to be with your family/wife/kids instead thinking back about the game that just happened is Gus Bradley on steroids levels of sunshine pumping.

(11-18-2019, 11:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 11:35 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I can't stand the waste of money we put into Foles' hype but there was a reason.  You can't pay a guy 88 million dollars and state we are just a decent QB away from sustained success and not give him a shot.  I won't even pile on the man for his performance.   Put Minshew in and don't worsen the trade value for sending him away in the future.  More bad games = Less teams interested.  Let other coaches make the excuses others are making and say its the coaching and team around him, their(Jags) QB can thrive here.

I liken Foles to Matt Flynn at this point. He should be replaced by the rookie and his trade value is about a 5th to someone who can absorb the contract.

I think we'll have to send a 5th (that we don't have) for someone to take the contract.
However... I'd ask the Bears in the off season if they'd take him and we'd swap a 6th for a 7th or something.

(11-18-2019, 11:48 AM)Upper Wrote: I think it's fair to question if Foles really even wants it. He had to be begged out of retirement at one point. His quotes about just being blessed to be playing a game and worry about getting home to be with your family/wife/kids instead thinking back about the game that just happened is Gus Bradley on steroids levels of sunshine pumping.

You saw that too. I typically enjoy positive vibes, but that came across as a guy lacking hunger or fight. This game is a war among warriors. He sounds like a guy needing hormone therapy. Let’s get him some testosterone cream. 

Wonder if Tua will slide enough for us to pick up as a great back up for Minshew or who knows.. 

We obviously have a lot to address in this upcoming draft, but we certainly have enough picks to go around.

(11-18-2019, 12:39 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 11:48 AM)Upper Wrote: I think it's fair to question if Foles really even wants it. He had to be begged out of retirement at one point. His quotes about just being blessed to be playing a game and worry about getting home to be with your family/wife/kids instead thinking back about the game that just happened is Gus Bradley on steroids levels of sunshine pumping.

You saw that too. I typically enjoy positive vibes, but that came across as a guy lacking hunger or fight. This game is a war among warriors. He sounds like a guy needing hormone therapy. Let’s get him some testosterone cream. 

Wonder if Tua will slide enough for us to pick up as a great back up for Minshew or who knows.. 

We obviously have a lot to address in this upcoming draft, but we certainly have enough picks to go around.

Pass on Tua. He's Mr. Glass. And behind this offensive line he'll still be Mr. Glass. I admire his toughness and his ability to buy time and make plays but it only lasts so long in the NFL. Waiting on LaMar Jackson at any point this year to tweak his knee on a run play and it's party over for the Ravens. He's fun to watch. But he's also scary to watch at the same time. 

I would hate to see this next regime start over at the QB position when they should give Minshew a chance. Build around his drive. Build around his energy and work ethic. Need to fix the offensive line. Look into getting another go up and get it type receiver to match Chark as well. Maybe get lucky and hit on a pass catching TE in next year's draft late too unless Oliver starts shining through with six weeks remaining.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-18-2019, 12:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:39 PM)Corriewf Wrote: You saw that too. I typically enjoy positive vibes, but that came across as a guy lacking hunger or fight. This game is a war among warriors. He sounds like a guy needing hormone therapy. Let’s get him some testosterone cream. 

Pass on Tua. He's Mr. Glass. And behind this offensive line he'll still be Mr. Glass. I admire his toughness and his ability to buy time and make plays but it only lasts so long in the NFL. Waiting on LaMar Jackson at any point this year to tweak his knee on a run play and it's party over for the Ravens. He's fun to watch. But he's also scary to watch at the same time. 

I would hate to see this next regime start over at the QB position when they should give Minshew a chance. Build around his drive. Build around his energy and work ethic. Need to fix the offensive line. Look into getting another go up and get it type receiver to match Chark as well. Maybe get lucky and hit on a pass catching TE in next year's draft late too unless Oliver starts shining through with six weeks remaining.

Not likely with those fractures in his back. Bust.