Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Minshew Film Analysis-Strong Opinion Sports

(11-19-2019, 10:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 09:52 AM)Kane Wrote: How many more threads do we need of Minshew fan boys vs Foles apologists?
Minshew isn't starting this year, get over it. The front office, once again, painted themselves into a QB problem corner and we as the fans, like it or not, are stuck with the results for likely 6 more games.

OT:
Yeah Minshew played very very well against two of the worst teams in the NFL, with poor personnel and terrible coaching. That's promising for sure. He played downright poorly against two of the better teams in the league with very good rosters and great coaching.
Stop over selling him.
For a 6th round rookie he played way above his draft status, not something we as Jag fans can usually say. We should all be excited about his future and potential. But this staff isn't going to play him to get him live reps for the next staff. Quit cryin' about it.
Yeah Foles played like dick Sunday. It's possible he plays better next Sunday. The hyperbole about Minshew being better than a seasoned vet is a bit much. You can point to a single game and compare it with Foles single complete game and try to cherry pick an argument but really you just look like a fanboy mad he isn't controlling the team.
Just stop. Minshew's time will come. Patience is a virtue.
Personally, with the OL playing this bad and the D playing this bad... I'd rather Foles take the hits and use the draft to load the team up around Minshew next season anyway.
You know, we as fans understand we need line help, TE help and gameplanning help. You want to build around a QB who only played 8 games but instead of seeing if his flaws can be fixed with coaching, you'd rather leave it to chance.  The unknown is whether he will continue to develop or if it was all a flash in the pan.  We can build the team up around the QB position because thats what we should have been doing for the past 2 seasons.  Finding out if he is the right QB to lead the team tho, thats what we should be figuring out this year rn.  If Minshew isnt the guy and Foles isnt the guy, we need to have someone waiting to step up into that role.

The bolded is myth. 

He doesn't have to play a full season to figure this out. 

What, exactly, is it that you don't know about Minshew that you are so desperate to figure out? 

He's displayed his strengths, he's displayed his weaknesses. I don't see his weaknesses magically being fixed in the remaining games of this season especially when his specific weaknesses are compounded by inadequate protection and to a lesser degree,  a playbook that was built for another player. 

I guess I simply fall into the category of fearing that playing in these remaining games could easily trap Minshew into reinforcing some of the bad habits he's displayed opposed to methodically correcting them through film study and practice.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-19-2019, 10:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 09:52 AM)Kane Wrote: How many more threads do we need of Minshew fan boys vs Foles apologists?
Minshew isn't starting this year, get over it. The front office, once again, painted themselves into a QB problem corner and we as the fans, like it or not, are stuck with the results for likely 6 more games.

OT:
Yeah Minshew played very very well against two of the worst teams in the NFL, with poor personnel and terrible coaching. That's promising for sure. He played downright poorly against two of the better teams in the league with very good rosters and great coaching.
Stop over selling him.
For a 6th round rookie he played way above his draft status, not something we as Jag fans can usually say. We should all be excited about his future and potential. But this staff isn't going to play him to get him live reps for the next staff. Quit cryin' about it.
Yeah Foles played like dick Sunday. It's possible he plays better next Sunday. The hyperbole about Minshew being better than a seasoned vet is a bit much. You can point to a single game and compare it with Foles single complete game and try to cherry pick an argument but really you just look like a fanboy mad he isn't controlling the team.
Just stop. Minshew's time will come. Patience is a virtue.
Personally, with the OL playing this bad and the D playing this bad... I'd rather Foles take the hits and use the draft to load the team up around Minshew next season anyway.
You know, we as fans understand we need line help, TE help and gameplanning help. You want to build around a QB who only played 8 games but instead of seeing if his flaws can be fixed with coaching, you'd rather leave it to chance.  The unknown is whether he will continue to develop or if it was all a flash in the pan.  We can build the team up around the QB position because thats what we should have been doing for the past 2 seasons.  Finding out if he is the right QB to lead the team tho, thats what we should be figuring out this year rn.  If Minshew isnt the guy and Foles isnt the guy, we need to have someone waiting to step up into that role.

His flaws can be fixed with coaching. Just not our coaches.
I'm not saying do nothing. I'm saying this year, with this staff, and this front office... nothing is going to be done.

So we as fans can bang on our keyboards about it and argue with each other all we want but help and change is not on the way for the next 6 games.
I think Minshew is the guy. His 8 games showed me his strengths and weaknesses. I'd protect his body and use the draft to beef up the OL/TE positions and retool the D. And come out swinging with the Mania in 2020. He's already proven to be a great leader from the QB position and just needs the right coaches to use him to his strengths and help him watch film.

This season is lost. These coaches are [BLEEP]. You guys want to watch Minshew get pulled groins and banged up shoulders behind an OL you all know to be crap.
Doesn't make sense to me.

(11-19-2019, 10:47 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:27 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: This is the same attitude that lands us the worst coaches in the league season after season.

They've beaten us down to the point where we just accept it and continue giving this loser franchise money.

It's been 20 years of being losers... that's not a streak of bad luck.. that's a tradition. 

Minshew's physical traits are beyond that of Nick Foles... who got lucky behind an incredible team of stars in Philly.... we have no stars.

So fire Marrone today, get an interim coach who will play Minshew because we ain't going anywhere this year and find out if we need to draft a QB next season.

It's not ever going to happen though... and I'm not crying or whining.. it's just sad that this fanbase keeps getting blasted to the point of acceptance.

Jesus dude... sure sounds like crying.
I'm not beaten down at all. I'm just realistic and refuse to allow football to affect my emotions THAT much. I don't know how you compare what I said to "getting worst coaches" but OK.

No Kane- he’s right! It’s your fault we have had bad coaches for 20 years.. also thanks for all the ugly cheerleaders too. Really don’t appreciate that!

I'm not beaten down as far as real life goes, but as far as going to the games (as I have since day one) and seeing this [BLEEP] product on the field year after year...yeah, I'm getting beat down.  I'm damn tired of spending $1000+ on tickets every year only to get kicked in the balls, time after time.  As much as I love my tailgating crew, it's getting harder and harder to justify spending that kind of money.  I don't know how much longer I can take these 8-10 hour days that end with everyone sitting in the parking lot post-game commiserating how badly we suck.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-19-2019, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:43 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: You know, we as fans understand we need line help, TE help and gameplanning help. You want to build around a QB who only played 8 games but instead of seeing if his flaws can be fixed with coaching, you'd rather leave it to chance.  The unknown is whether he will continue to develop or if it was all a flash in the pan.  We can build the team up around the QB position because thats what we should have been doing for the past 2 seasons.  Finding out if he is the right QB to lead the team tho, thats what we should be figuring out this year rn.  If Minshew isnt the guy and Foles isnt the guy, we need to have someone waiting to step up into that role.

The bolded is myth. 

What, exactly, is it that you don't know about Minshew that you are so desperate to figure out? 

He's displayed his strengths, he's displayed his weaknesses. I don't see his weaknesses magically being fixed in the remaining games of this season especially when his specific weaknesses are compounded by inadequate protection and to a lesser degree,  a playbook that was built for another player. 

I guess I simply fall into the category of fearing that playing in these remaining games could easily trap Minshew into reinforcing some of the bad habits he's displayed opposed to methodically correcting them through film study and practice.
I would like to see if he can read the field consistenly when the Defense shuts down the scramble lanes.  He isnt Lamar or Deshaun and I don't want him relying on his running ability due to fear he will get hurt alot easier than those two if hit.  I also would like to see if he can keep up his level of play, and believe in his arm more, for more than half a season of games.  Even in the 8 games he played, He had 2 really really bad games so thats 6 good to decent games and 2 horrid ones.  I don't know if others pay attention to early success QBs falling of a cliff in yr 2 and so on but i don't want to bank on a QB who hasn't even had that full 16 game successful season as being a sure fire answer.  Maybe i just pay too much attention to QBs in the league and don't want to put all of my faith in a small body of work but i think i've shown that with my doubts for Foles.  Even a seasoned QB with a decent half season run of games isnt a Franchise QB to me.  As the saying goes tho, fans gonna fan.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-19-2019, 11:52 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The bolded is myth. 

I would like to see if he can read the field consistenly when the Defense shuts down the scramble lanes.  He isnt Lamar or Deshaun and I don't want him relying on his running ability due to fear he will get hurt alot easier than those two if hit.  I also would like to see if he can keep up his level of play, and believe in his arm more, for more than half a season of games.  Even in the 8 games he played, He had 2 really really bad games so thats 6 good to decent games and 2 horrid ones.  I don't know if others pay attention to early success QBs falling of a cliff in yr 2 and so on but i don't want to bank on a QB who hasn't even had that full 16 game successful season as being a sure fire answer.  Maybe i just pay too much attention to QBs in the league and don't want to put all of my faith in a small body of work but i think i've shown that with my doubts for Foles.  Even a seasoned QB with a decent half season run of games isnt a Franchise QB to me.  As the saying goes tho, fans gonna fan.

To the red:  You aren't going to learn that from playing him this season. And teams were not shutting down scramble lanes - they were containing him laterally (or attempting to). 
These are different concepts.  
Learning to be more efficient from the pocket when contained will require more than just going out there and attempting it.  It will require improved protection, a playbook with more options suited to Minshew's vision from the pocket and the appropriate quick read outlets, and it will require him being coached to process these reads faster. Do you think that stuff is happening over the remaining games of this season? I don't. 

Re: running - 
He really wasn't relying on his running ability nearly as much as he relied on his ability to extend plays outside the pocket (and passing.) Scrambling more or less is not a legitimate concern. He showed restraint in this element of the game by looking to throw many times when he could have taken off on foot. 

"Believing in his arm"
He displayed tons of confidence in his ability to throw the ball into tough spaces both from the pocket and on the run.
This is not a concern. Not in the slightest.

(11-19-2019, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:52 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I would like to see if he can read the field consistenly when the Defense shuts down the scramble lanes.  He isnt Lamar or Deshaun and I don't want him relying on his running ability due to fear he will get hurt alot easier than those two if hit.  I also would like to see if he can keep up his level of play, and believe in his arm more, for more than half a season of games.  Even in the 8 games he played, He had 2 really really bad games so thats 6 good to decent games and 2 horrid ones.  I don't know if others pay attention to early success QBs falling of a cliff in yr 2 and so on but i don't want to bank on a QB who hasn't even had that full 16 game successful season as being a sure fire answer.  Maybe i just pay too much attention to QBs in the league and don't want to put all of my faith in a small body of work but i think i've shown that with my doubts for Foles.  Even a seasoned QB with a decent half season run of games isnt a Franchise QB to me.  As the saying goes tho, fans gonna fan.

To the red:  You aren't going to learn that from playing him this season. And teams were not shutting down scramble lanes - they were containing him laterally (or attempting to). 
Learning to be more efficient from the pocket when contained will require more than just going out there and attempting it.  It will require improved protection, a playbook with more options suited to Minshew's vision from the pocket and the appropriate quick read outlets, and it will require him being coached to process these reads faster. Do you think that stuff is happening over the remaining games of this season? I don't. 

He really wasn't relying on his running ability nearly as much as he relied on his ability to extend plays outside the pocket (and passing.) Scrambling more or less is not a legitimate concern. He showed restraint in this element of the game by looking to throw many times when he could have taken off on foot. 

"Believing in his arm"
He displayed tons of confidence in his ability to throw the ball into tough spaces both from the pocket and on the run.
I see your point.  I guess i'm just nervous and don't want to get too caught up in the hype.  I like the guy and want him to succeed but you are right about the coaching.  He needs someone who understands his skillset better and will know how to use it the right way.  I have no idea about the coaching prospects to replace the current staff and don't have faith in the current regime to draft the right players to fix the holes we have.  Let's just ride with Foles then.  I didn't want NF to play as much tho because if he continues to look mediocre then that kills his value on the trade market and we are stuck with the cap hit.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-19-2019, 12:24 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To the red:  You aren't going to learn that from playing him this season. And teams were not shutting down scramble lanes - they were containing him laterally (or attempting to). 

"Believing in his arm"
I see your point.  I guess i'm just nervous and don't want to get too caught up in the hype.  I like the guy and want him to succeed but you are right about the coaching.  He needs someone who understands his skillset better and will know how to use it the right way.  I have no idea about the coaching prospects to replace the current staff and don't have faith in the current regime to draft the right players to fix the holes we have.  Let's just ride with Foles then.  I didn't want NF to play as much tho because if he continues to look mediocre then that kills his value on the trade market and we are stuck with the cap hit.

To be clear, I'm speaking more about the playbook having been designed for Foles and not Minshew. 
I think that mismatch limited him more than actual coaching did specifically.  I don't believe he was being coached poorly, I think he simply requires more coaching in general to be prepared to counter these defensive adjustments he was seeing. And more importantly - a playbook with plays designed to counter such a strategy. This playbook lacks that because Foles does not extend plays laterally like Minshew does.

Regardless, he's likely to work in a new system under different coaches next season IMO.

Problem

The more the coaches worked with him the more they game planed for him. They cut down the playbook and worked hard to establish plays they felt confident would be successful. They put in plans to minimize mistakes and lean on the defense. Seem familiar it is all this staff does. I don't have a problem with the thought of this option the problem is they do not adjust or loosen up the reins until the game is out of hand and then they are teeing off on our QBs which over exposes our offensive line weaknesses.

We have issues everywhere.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I think it could be good to have him sit for the next 6 games. I'm afraid if we throw him back out there the way things are now, it could destroy his confidence. I'd much rather shore up our weaknesses in the offseason, and have the new improved Gardner Minshew take the field with a new improved team around him.

(11-19-2019, 12:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think it could be good to have him sit for the next 6 games.   I'm afraid if we throw him back out there the way things are now, it could destroy his confidence.   I'd much rather shore up our weaknesses in the offseason, and have the new improved Gardner Minshew take the field with a new improved team around him.

Yeah getting knocked around isn't going to help.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-19-2019, 12:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:24 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see your point.  I guess i'm just nervous and don't want to get too caught up in the hype.  I like the guy and want him to succeed but you are right about the coaching.  He needs someone who understands his skillset better and will know how to use it the right way.  I have no idea about the coaching prospects to replace the current staff and don't have faith in the current regime to draft the right players to fix the holes we have.  Let's just ride with Foles then.  I didn't want NF to play as much tho because if he continues to look mediocre then that kills his value on the trade market and we are stuck with the cap hit.

To be clear, I'm speaking more about the playbook having been designed for Foles and not Minshew. 
I think that mismatch limited him more than actual coaching did specifically.   I don't believe he was being coached poorly, I think he simply requires more coaching in general to be prepared to counter these defensive adjustments he was seeing. And more importantly - a playbook with plays designed to counter such a strategy. This playbook lacks that because Foles does not extend plays laterally like Minshew does.

Regardless, he's likely to work in a new system under different coaches next season IMO.

I understand.  I think the OC wouldn't have a problem maximizing his skillset with a new playbook.  I just think once we let go of the staff tho, he will not be employed here. It will be a new staff entirely and starting from scratch.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-19-2019, 12:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think it could be good to have him sit for the next 6 games.   I'm afraid if we throw him back out there the way things are now, it could destroy his confidence.   I'd much rather shore up our weaknesses in the offseason, and have the new improved Gardner Minshew take the field with a new improved team around him.

I'm less worried about his confidence and more worried about his body.
He isn't the biggest dude. If he keeps getting creamed behind poor OL play or outside the pocket extending plays, he could end up broken physically.

I think he has the mentality to persevere through all the other stuff.
Seems like a solid leader with a good head on his shoulders.

You're worried about hurting Minshews confidence?!

The dude has that in spades. He has been benched, cut, told he was nothing and then wasn't drafted until round 6. He has confidence for days and that's actually one of his best traits for a QB. He always believes there's a chance to win.

I think I've heard it all now for the reasons to start Foles: He gives them the best chance to win. They paid him to be the starter (ha). We don't want to hurt Gardners confidence. Gardner will learn more from watching Foles throw into double coverage on Sundays with weak throws.

Marrone is trying to save his job and play it safe which is ultimately why he will be fired. Carroll had the stones to start Wilson even though they gave Matt Flynn money to be the starter.

(11-19-2019, 12:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
You're worried about hurting Minshews confidence?!

The dude has that in spades. He has been benched, cut, told he was nothing and then wasn't drafted until round 6. He has confidence for days and that's actually one of his best traits for a QB. He always believes there's a chance to win.

I think I've heard it all now for the reasons to start Foles: He gives them the best chance to win. They paid him to be the starter (ha). We don't want to hurt Gardners confidence. Gardner will learn more from watching Foles throw into double coverage on Sundays with weak throws.

Marrone is trying to save his job and play it safe which is ultimately why he will be fired. Carroll had the stones to start Wilson even though they gave Matt Flynn money to be the starter.
I understand your frustration but Carroll wasn't about to be fired.  Marrone has had too many years to get it right as of now and is going out the way he wants.  If he chooses to start Foles, blame Shad for not having the stones to fire anyone.  Shad is the one complaining about attendance and money but will not save the fanbase from the fire this staff has caused.  He just lets it burn and then publicly states, the team isnt making enough money from fan support.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-19-2019, 10:56 AM)Rico Wrote: I'm not beaten down as far as real life goes, but as far as going to the games (as I have since day one) and seeing this [BLEEP] product on the field year after year...yeah, I'm getting beat down.  I'm damn tired of spending $1000+ on tickets every year only to get kicked in the balls, time after time.  As much as I love my tailgating crew, it's getting harder and harder to justify spending that kind of money.  I don't know how much longer I can take these 8-10 hour days that end with everyone sitting in the parking lot post-game commiserating how badly we suck.

Hey, at least we get to spend 10 or 12 bucks for a 16 ounce beer once we're in the stadium!

I gotta get me one of those plastic flasks, because that crap pisses me off even when we're winning.  Haha... When we're winning.

(11-18-2019, 09:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's the NFL, every team plays on the opponent's weaknesses. Except the Jaguars, we play to their strengths.

Kind of like the US in the Vietnam War.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 06:07 PM by Mowerguy.)

I'm all for letting NF7 finish out this season and move on with the changes
I hope the "Big 'Stache" has in mind.

Shop him around, no bites bench him for our future QB with a beefed up line
and TE.
Then lets go play some Jaguars football.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I'm coming around to the idea that it would be better for GM to sit the rest of this year out and start fresh with hopefully new coaches next year. Going to suck though making the 800 mile round-trip drive for the last three home games to watch Foles get booed while he journeyman's up the field. Minshew brought excitement and hope for the future. If seeing how well he played and not dismissing it out of draft position bias makes me a "Fanboy", so be it.

I am also in the camp of just letting Foles finish the next six games out and just let Minshew relax a bit as a rookie. Unless Foles gets hurt again. But at this point it's looking more and more likely that they'll be lucky to finish 6 - 10 / 7 - 9 with the inconsistencies between the run defense, pass protection and run blocking and penalties on top of all of that.

Hopefully Khan and Jr. are looking at new coaches and front office personnel for next year. Should be an easy sell with four first round picks at our disposal over the next two years.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."