Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gardner Minshew Film Analysis-Strong Opinion Sports

Courtesy of Strong Opinion Sports. This guy does great film analysis. Especially on quarterbacks. He did Minshew’s starts.

https://youtu.be/84jbK3A5BJQ

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would have liked him to look specifically at the NO game and the London game. I want to see what teams are doing that causes him to struggle. It doesn't matter how good he is in 4 games if teams pick up on tendencies and play his weaknesses.

(11-18-2019, 08:42 PM)Last42min Wrote: I would have liked him to look specifically at the NO game and the London game. I want to see what teams are doing that causes him to struggle. It doesn't matter how good he is in 4 games if teams pick up on tendencies and play his weaknesses.

It's the NFL, every team plays on the opponent's weaknesses. Except the Jaguars, we play to their strengths.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-18-2019, 08:42 PM)Last42min Wrote: I would have liked him to look specifically at the NO game and the London game. I want to see what teams are doing that causes him to struggle. It doesn't matter how good he is in 4 games if teams pick up on tendencies and play his weaknesses.

N.O. played contain instead of pressure and kept him between the tackles eliminating his ability to improvise and extend plays.  They also played lots of press man coverage to take away quick reads and disrupt timing routes.

That was beautiful to watch..what a contrast to Foles.

Looking forward to watching him play again.

(11-18-2019, 10:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

N.O. played contain instead of pressure and kept him between the tackles eliminating his ability to improvise and extend plays.  They also played lots of press man coverage to take away quick reads and disrupt timing routes.

When they did this, he looked like a deer caught in headlights. If his receivers weren't running completely free, he panicked and held the ball forever. He has to have more confidence and show the ability to throw into tighter windows. He simply cannot hold onto the ball that long. We don't have the O-Line to be able to do this. He's gonna need to make quicker reads and decisions. Can he? I don't know. I hope so, but until he shows he is able to do this, he should not start, because he was terrible those last 2 games.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 01:54 AM by IndyJagsFan.)

He wasn't "terrible those last two games". The two not so good games were sandwiched around two excellent games against Cincinnati and the NY Jets. His performance against the Jets was as good as any I've seen out of a Jaguars QB in 24 years as a fan. You even watch the games?

(11-19-2019, 01:52 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: He wasn't "terrible those last two games". The two not so good games were sandwiched around two excellent games against Cincinnati and the NY Jets. His performance against the Jets was as good as any I've seen out of a Jaguars QB in 24 years as a fan. You even watch the games?

Yes, I did and they were terrible. The Cincinnati game was fairly good for a rookie, but it was far from excellent. The defense played a huge roll in that game.

(11-19-2019, 01:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 10:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: N.O. played contain instead of pressure and kept him between the tackles eliminating his ability to improvise and extend plays.  They also played lots of press man coverage to take away quick reads and disrupt timing routes.

When they did this, he looked like a deer caught in headlights. If his receivers weren't running completely free, he panicked and held the ball forever. He has to have more confidence and show the ability to throw into tighter windows. He simply cannot hold onto the ball that long. We don't have the O-Line to be able to do this. He's gonna need to make quicker reads and decisions. Can he? I don't know. I hope so, but until he shows he is able to do this, he should not start, because he was terrible those last 2 games.

To the bolded...

You want to see him show if he can do it, but he shouldn't start unless he shows it? 

Exactly how is he suppose to show it, if he isn't starting/playing?... You make zero sense dude LOL.

Regardless.. Minshew's worst game this season was better than that garbage Foles put up this past Sunday.

(11-19-2019, 04:40 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 01:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: When they did this, he looked like a deer caught in headlights. If his receivers weren't running completely free, he panicked and held the ball forever. He has to have more confidence and show the ability to throw into tighter windows. He simply cannot hold onto the ball that long. We don't have the O-Line to be able to do this. He's gonna need to make quicker reads and decisions. Can he? I don't know. I hope so, but until he shows he is able to do this, he should not start, because he was terrible those last 2 games.

To the bolded...

You want to see him show if he can do it, but he shouldn't start unless he shows it? 

Exactly how is he suppose to show it, if he isn't starting/playing?... You make zero sense dude LOL.

Regardless.. Minshew's worst game this season was better than that garbage Foles put up this past Sunday.

In practice....... Duh........

(11-19-2019, 05:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 04:40 AM)Eric1 Wrote: To the bolded...

In practice....... Duh........

... In practice...

I really hope you''re joking/trying to be funny.. Otherwise.. jesus [BLEEP] christ dude..

I think the struggling for both QBs is a result of two main things: 

1) Inability to block for the run.
2) Lack of a TE.  

Basically, as has been pointed out numerous times, we can beat crappy teams but we lose to good teams.  And that's where our weakness run blocking and our lack of a TE show through.

(11-19-2019, 02:19 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 01:52 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: He wasn't "terrible those last two games". The two not so good games were sandwiched around two excellent games against Cincinnati and the NY Jets. His performance against the Jets was as good as any I've seen out of a Jaguars QB in 24 years as a fan. You even watch the games?

Yes, I did and they were terrible. The Cincinnati game was fairly good for a rookie, but it was far from excellent. The defense played a huge roll in that game.

It was better than Foles.... and he's a journeyman who isn't ever supposed to throw in double or tripe coverage.....

Gardner is much better than Foles right now.. RIGHT NOW.. so you play the rookie and see what you have and let Foles have his Florida vacation - who cares - we are the team for that.

How many more threads do we need of Minshew fan boys vs Foles apologists?
Minshew isn't starting this year, get over it. The front office, once again, painted themselves into a QB problem corner and we as the fans, like it or not, are stuck with the results for likely 6 more games.

OT:
Yeah Minshew played very very well against two of the worst teams in the NFL, with poor personnel and terrible coaching. That's promising for sure. He played downright poorly against two of the better teams in the league with very good rosters and great coaching.
Stop over selling him.
For a 6th round rookie he played way above his draft status, not something we as Jag fans can usually say. We should all be excited about his future and potential. But this staff isn't going to play him to get him live reps for the next staff. Quit cryin' about it.
Yeah Foles played like dick Sunday. It's possible he plays better next Sunday. The hyperbole about Minshew being better than a seasoned vet is a bit much. You can point to a single game and compare it with Foles single complete game and try to cherry pick an argument but really you just look like a fanboy mad he isn't controlling the team.
Just stop. Minshew's time will come. Patience is a virtue.
Personally, with the OL playing this bad and the D playing this bad... I'd rather Foles take the hits and use the draft to load the team up around Minshew next season anyway.

(11-19-2019, 09:52 AM)Kane Wrote: How many more threads do we need of Minshew fan boys vs Foles apologists?
Minshew isn't starting this year, get over it. The front office, once again, painted themselves into a QB problem corner and we as the fans, like it or not, are stuck with the results for likely 6 more games.

OT:
Yeah Minshew played very very well against two of the worst teams in the NFL, with poor personnel and terrible coaching. That's promising for sure. He played downright poorly against two of the better teams in the league with very good rosters and great coaching.
Stop over selling him.
For a 6th round rookie he played way above his draft status, not something we as Jag fans can usually say. We should all be excited about his future and potential. But this staff isn't going to play him to get him live reps for the next staff. Quit cryin' about it.
Yeah Foles played like dick Sunday. It's possible he plays better next Sunday. The hyperbole about Minshew being better than a seasoned vet is a bit much. You can point to a single game and compare it with Foles single complete game and try to cherry pick an argument but really you just look like a fanboy mad he isn't controlling the team.
Personally, with the OL playing this bad and the D playing this bad... I'd rather Foles take the hits and use the draft to load the team up around Minshew next season anyway.

Good points.  I have nothing to add.  I agree.

(11-19-2019, 09:52 AM)Kane Wrote: How many more threads do we need of Minshew fan boys vs Foles apologists?

OT:
Stop over selling him.

QFT- I think this fan base gets too emotional too quickly either positive or negative. We get on the hype train a little too quickly and then wonder why it doesn’t work out. I think it would benefit everyone to be cautiously optimistic about anything Jaguars. Ha!

(11-19-2019, 10:19 AM)Corriewf Wrote:

OT:
Stop over selling him.

QFT- I think this fan base gets too emotional too quickly either positive or negative. We get on the hype train a little too quickly and then wonder why it doesn’t work out. I think it would benefit everyone to be cautiously optimistic about anything Jaguars. Ha!

Indeed. I'm sure most fans do.
Win a game "We're going to the playoffs!"
Lose a game: "Fire everybody"

If fans controlled the team as much as they wanted to, people would be promoted and demoted and hired and fired 10 times during the game and before and after every game.

OT:
Stop over selling him.

This is the same attitude that lands us the worst coaches in the league season after season.

They've beaten us down to the point where we just accept it and continue giving this loser franchise money.

It's been 20 years of being losers... that's not a streak of bad luck.. that's a tradition. 

Minshew's physical traits are beyond that of Nick Foles... who got lucky behind an incredible team of stars in Philly.... we have no stars.

So fire Marrone today, get an interim coach who will play Minshew because we ain't going anywhere this year and find out if we need to draft a QB next season.

It's not ever going to happen though... and I'm not crying or whining.. it's just sad that this fanbase keeps getting blasted to the point of acceptance.

OT:
Stop over selling him.
You know, we as fans understand we need line help, TE help and gameplanning help. You want to build around a QB who only played 8 games but instead of seeing if his flaws can be fixed with coaching, you'd rather leave it to chance.  The unknown is whether he will continue to develop or if it was all a flash in the pan.  We can build the team up around the QB position because thats what we should have been doing for the past 2 seasons.  Finding out if he is the right QB to lead the team tho, thats what we should be figuring out this year rn.  If Minshew isnt the guy and Foles isnt the guy, we need to have someone waiting to step up into that role.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-19-2019, 10:27 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

OT:
Stop over selling him.

This is the same attitude that lands us the worst coaches in the league season after season.

They've beaten us down to the point where we just accept it and continue giving this loser franchise money.

It's been 20 years of being losers... that's not a streak of bad luck.. that's a tradition. 

Minshew's physical traits are beyond that of Nick Foles... who got lucky behind an incredible team of stars in Philly.... we have no stars.

So fire Marrone today, get an interim coach who will play Minshew because we ain't going anywhere this year and find out if we need to draft a QB next season.

It's not ever going to happen though... and I'm not crying or whining.. it's just sad that this fanbase keeps getting blasted to the point of acceptance.

Jesus dude... sure sounds like crying.
I'm not beaten down at all. I'm just realistic and refuse to allow football to affect my emotions THAT much. I don't know how you compare what I said to "getting worst coaches" but OK.