Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Potential Head Coach

What about Coughlin for head coach.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-25-2019, 10:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 09:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: How does McCarthy have an outstanding approach offensively when he had one of the most basic and predictable offenses in the league and often depended on Rodgers to bail them out (which he was obviously great at)?

Agreed, Fournette is the centerpiece of our offense presently, and McCarthy has never had a run game to speak of.

Rodgers hid a lot of his blemishes, I would say. And no, Minshew is not ready to be the next Rodgers. YET.

If we land a HC/OC combo worth their salt in the offseason, then I think they make Fournette part of a committee approach and won't try to force the offense to operate around a power run game that just chips away for 3 quarters of the game. 

Need to have some variance, creativity, misdirection and keep the defense guessing. 

The best use we've ever seen of Fournette IMO was when Hackett put Grant and Fournette in the backfield together and made defenses respect both options. It spread out the LBs and backed up the safeties a step. 
(any one notice how often the niners are using a 2 back set this year?)

Lining up additional linemen and TEs to help block is not going to be consistently effective against good defenses because you are telegraphing the play and limiting your play-call options out of the formation.

(11-25-2019, 10:59 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: What about Coughlin for head coach.

His time has passed, IMO. 

I respect the experience and knowledge.
I question the relevance offensively in the current state of the league.

(11-25-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: So you're just embellishing all the stuff about Dave thinking he'd go undrafted and not wanting to spend a pick on him?  

Nope I'm just a guy with an 8 month old who doesn't have the time or the care to go back and forth endlessly over minutia anymore. I gave my opinion (which I think is far from guaranteed to happen, but also notable possibility), linked the original story, and said there was extra context given via several tweets from the beat writers. The fact that there were ellipses galore in the article would obviously hint that there was much more said that wasn't included. If you want to believe that, great. If you don't, that's your prerogative too I couldn't care less.

(11-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: So you're just embellishing all the stuff about Dave thinking he'd go undrafted and not wanting to spend a pick on him?  

Nope I'm just a guy with an 8 month old who doesn't have the time or the care to go back and forth endlessly over minutia anymore. I gave my opinion (which I think is far from guaranteed to happen, but also notable possibility), linked the original story, and said there was extra context given via several tweets from the beat writers. The fact that there were ellipses galore in the article would obviously hint that there was much more said that wasn't included. If you want to believe that, great. If you don't, that's your prerogative too I couldn't care less.

Congrats on your kid! Wife's got our first one due in April of next year. A boy. Looking forward to raising him into the heartbreak this team has also put us all through over the years.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote:

Definitely a good excuse for deflection I guess. LOL

I think Coughlin should be in the dicussion for HC.

(11-25-2019, 12:08 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I think Coughlin should be in the dicussion for HC.

That would be awkward. But I don't see it happening now. They would have to fire Caldwell first.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM by knarnn.)

(11-25-2019, 12:08 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I think Coughlin should be in the dicussion for HC.

Why? 

So he can run off what remaining talent there is? How about we get someone who can relate to this era’s brand and style of football instead. His philosophy is tired and outdated. He’s the reason why you have Fournette over McCaffery and had Bortles and Foles over Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson. It’s time to leave the 90’s where they are.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

OMG no.

(11-25-2019, 12:36 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Why? 

So he can run off what remaining talent there is? How about we get someone who can relate to this era’s brand and style of football instead. His philosophy is tired and outdated. He’s the reason why you have Fournette over McCaffery and had Bortles and Foles over Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson. It’s time to leave the 90’s where they are.

I heard the same thing after 2000. The game has passed Tom by. He doesn't know how to relate to modern players. Then he goes to the Giants and wins two Super Bowls- both against the highly favored Patriots. His first year in Jax, the Jags have an amazing turnaround, won the division, and came within a bad call of going to the Super Bowl.

McCarthy is old too, has less Super Bowl wins. And he had Aaron Rodgers. Coughlin had Eli Manning.

I would not hire TC to be the GM/HC.  The new GM will have final decisions in the front office, including draft picks and FA signings.  That's non-negotiable.

Coughlin's philosophy is exactly what the Titans used yesterday to destroy the Jags- run the ball.  The path to winning football really hasn't changed over the years. The Jags problem is they're not well coached in the basics. Their OL commits way too many penalities. The DBs miss assignments (see Bouye's comments from yesterday) and the DL/LBs don't cover their gaps properly. Basic little things that add up to losses.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 03:52 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(11-25-2019, 03:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 12:36 PM)knarnn Wrote: Why? 

I heard the same thing after 2000. The game has passed Tom by. He doesn't know how to relate to modern players. Then he goes to the Giants and wins two Super Bowls- both against the highly favored Patriots. His first year in Jax, the Jags have an amazing turnaround, won the division, and came within a bad call of going to the Super Bowl.

McCarthy is old too, has less Super Bowl wins. And he had Aaron Rodgers. Coughlin had Eli Manning.

I would not hire TC to be the GM/HC.  The new GM will have final decisions in the front office, including draft picks and FA signings.  That's non-negotiable.

Coughlin's philosophy is exactly what the Titans used yesterday to destroy the Jags- run the ball.  The path to winning football really hasn't changed over the years. The Jags problem is they're not well coached in the basics. Their OL commits way too many penalities. The DBs miss assignments (see Bouye's comments from yesterday) and the DL/LBs don't cover their gaps properly. Basic little things that add up to losses.

No one said the game passed him by when he got fired.

He got fired for putting us into cap hell and then continuing with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust regardless of personnel.

Now, however, yes, the game has quite clearly passed him by; he thought Leonard Fournette was good

(11-25-2019, 10:59 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: What about Coughlin for head coach.

Why would he take the head coaching position.  

[Image: w8O36.jpg]

(11-25-2019, 03:52 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I heard the same thing after 2000. The game has passed Tom by. He doesn't know how to relate to modern players. Then he goes to the Giants and wins two Super Bowls- both against the highly favored Patriots. His first year in Jax, the Jags have an amazing turnaround, won the division, and came within a bad call of going to the Super Bowl.

No one said the game passed him by when he got fired.

He got fired for putting us into cap hell and then continuing with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust regardless of personnel.

Now, however, yes, the game has quite clearly passed him by; he thought Leonard Fournette was good
Again, I wouldn't hire Coughlin to be the GM. He wouldn't have the final word on draft picks or free agents.

Leonard Fournette is good. He's on pace for 1300-1400 yards this season. He's already got 1,200 all-purpose yards this year. And he was one of the few players yesterday that actually gave a damn. He's improved considerably from last year, and that was after Coughlin called him out. 

We don't need an Andy Reid as our coach. We simply need one who insists that players block and tackle properly. That they are disciplined and keep the penalities to a minimum. Coughlin-coached teams are very disciplined.

Look at the Colts. Before Frank Reich came aboard, their OL was atrocious. On defense, they couldn't tackle to save their lives. Essentially, they are the Jags of today. The Colts win because they play disciplined football. They lost Andrew Luck at the last moment, and yet they still win.

(11-25-2019, 11:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote: Nope I'm just a guy with an 8 month old who doesn't have the time or the care to go back and forth endlessly over minutia anymore. I gave my opinion (which I think is far from guaranteed to happen, but also notable possibility), linked the original story, and said there was extra context given via several tweets from the beat writers. The fact that there were ellipses galore in the article would obviously hint that there was much more said that wasn't included. If you want to believe that, great. If you don't, that's your prerogative too I couldn't care less.

Congrats on your kid! Wife's got our first one due in April of next year. A boy. Looking forward to raising him into the heartbreak this team has also put us all through over the years.

Lol yeah my wife keeps telling me I should raise him to be a fan of a different team to save him the heartbreak. Unfortunately my local team is the Bengals so....

Congrats to you too!

(11-25-2019, 04:10 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:52 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No one said the game passed him by when he got fired.

Again, I wouldn't hire Coughlin to be the GM. He wouldn't have the final word on draft picks or free agents.

Leonard Fournette is good. He's on pace for 1300-1400 yards this season. He's already got 1,200 all-purpose yards this year. And he was one of the few players yesterday that actually gave a damn. He's improved considerably from last year, and that was after Coughlin called him out. 

We don't need an Andy Reid as our coach. We simply need one who insists that players block and tackle properly. That they are disciplined and keep the penalities to a minimum. Coughlin-coached teams are very disciplined.

I don't think it's that simple. My problem with all of that in bold above is that blocking, tackling and discipline are all basic fundamentals of the game and it's something most of these players have grown up doing for years. A lot of that has to do with mental blocks and mental hurdles. And that's on your coach to an extent. You don't need a dick head disciplinarian to coach this team. You need a coach that can keep them focused and adjust to his team's strengths and weaknesses. 

Marrone doesn't seem to have that in his coaching DNA.

(11-25-2019, 03:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 12:36 PM)knarnn Wrote: Why? 

Coughlin was talked back from his extreme disciplinarian role twice in NY and it was still a major factor when he was forced to retire. It's not some myth. He does have issues relating to young players and it would certainly be even worse now than it was a few years back when the giants had enough of it. 

Even if we're going to gloss that over enough to consider him, there's the modern direction of offense in the NFL. I have no idea where his head is on that but the way he staffed the running back room this season tells me it's probably not very forward thinking. 

The tacks did not just beat the jags with a simplistic power run scheme btw. They schemed a game plan with the run that targeted mistakes the jags had already put on tape and exploited them. They used specific formations, pre-snap motion, and misdirection that all had been put on tape successfully vs this defense. 

I think Coughlin could clean up a fair amount of the stupid mistakes, penalties and lack of discipline. Sure. 
I don't feel confident he'd do it in a way that didn't alienate part of the roster  - and I don't know that he's forward thinking enough to maintain an effective offense sustainably over a period of multiple seasons.

(11-25-2019, 04:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 03:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I heard the same thing after 2000. The game has passed Tom by. He doesn't know how to relate to modern players. Then he goes to the Giants and wins two Super Bowls- both against the highly favored Patriots. His first year in Jax, the Jags have an amazing turnaround, won the division, and came within a bad call of going to the Super Bowl.

Coughlin was talked back from his extreme disciplinarian role twice in NY and it was still a major factor when he was forced to retire. It's not some myth. He does have issues relating to young players and it would certainly be even worse now than it was a few years back when the giants had enough of it. 

Even if we're going to gloss that over enough to consider him, there's the modern direction of offense in the NFL. I have no idea where his head is on that but the way he staffed the running back room this season tells me it's probably not very forward thinking. 

The tacks did not just beat the jags with a simplistic power run scheme btw. They schemed a game plan with the run that targeted mistakes the jags had already put on tape and exploited them. They used specific formations, pre-snap motion, and misdirection that all had been put on tape successfully vs this defense. 

I think Coughlin could clean up a fair amount of the stupid mistakes, penalties and lack of discipline. Sure. 
I don't feel confident he'd do it in a way that didn't alienate part of the roster  - and I don't know that he's forward thinking enough to maintain an effective offense sustainably over a period of multiple seasons.

This also rings true then in regards to him sticking it out with Marrone and giving him his stamp of approval.  Not having the foresight to keep up with the rest of the NFL trending towards more innovation and speed offensively has hurt this team. They had opportunities to hire Kyle Shanahan, Bruce Arians & Frank Reich. They blew it.

We're going to make the same mistakes we made in hiring Bradley and Marrone. Two years from now, we'll be screaming for the next head coach's job too.

(11-25-2019, 12:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 11:47 AM)Upper Wrote: Nope I'm just a guy with an 8 month old who doesn't have the time or the care to go back and forth endlessly over minutia anymore. I gave my opinion (which I think is far from guaranteed to happen, but also notable possibility), linked the original story, and said there was extra context given via several tweets from the beat writers. The fact that there were ellipses galore in the article would obviously hint that there was much more said that wasn't included. If you want to believe that, great. If you don't, that's your prerogative too I couldn't care less.

Definitely a good excuse for deflection I guess. LOL

NO bias. Just telling it like it is.