Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan taking the next step?

(11-08-2019, 07:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...37216?s=20

He has put on weight since his rookie year right? I felt like when he was drafted he was all muscle for a guy playing his position. 

I think the bulk has helped quite bit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://twitter.com/JaguarMaven/status/1...2890943488

So apparently Dontavius Russell, who has been inactive every week since week 2, played more snaps than Bryan yesterday. That's not exactly encouraging for a first round draft pick mid-way through his second season, even if he is more of a pass-rusher and the team wanted more emphasis on run stopping...
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(11-25-2019, 10:45 PM)LMD Wrote: https://twitter.com/JaguarMaven/status/1...2890943488

So apparently Dontavius Russell, who has been inactive every week since week 2, played more snaps than Bryan yesterday. That's not exactly encouraging for a first round draft pick mid-way through his second season, even if he is more of a pass-rusher and the team wanted more emphasis on run stopping...

Forget Taven. He finally starts flashing and they reduce his game play?

You wanna know a stat line that’s really discouraging? Take a look at Josh Allen’s snap count. 

Taven is getting a pass from me this year based solely on the ineptitude of our coaches and gameplan/philosophy in all facets.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-25-2019, 10:45 PM)LMD Wrote: So apparently Dontavius Russell, who has been inactive every week since week 2, played more snaps than Bryan yesterday. That's not exactly encouraging for a first round draft pick mid-way through his second season, even if he is more of a pass-rusher and the team wanted more emphasis on run stopping...

I had kind of assumed that Russell was drafted as a potential replacement for Dareus. Bryan is more of a Calais Campbell type, at his best when he's free behind the line. Russell is a space-eater. It's never the most encouraging thing in the world when your team loses a key contributor and the high draft pick and that position doesn't see a huge jump in snap count, but it's understandable in this situation.

Now, if Calais or Abry had gone down and Bryan was losing snaps to Russell, that would be a huge red flag.

(11-26-2019, 02:24 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 10:45 PM)LMD Wrote: So apparently Dontavius Russell, who has been inactive every week since week 2, played more snaps than Bryan yesterday. That's not exactly encouraging for a first round draft pick mid-way through his second season, even if he is more of a pass-rusher and the team wanted more emphasis on run stopping...

I had kind of assumed that Russell was drafted as a potential replacement for Dareus. Bryan is more of a Calais Campbell type, at his best when he's free behind the line. Russell is a space-eater. It's never the most encouraging thing in the world when your team loses a key contributor and the high draft pick and that position doesn't see a huge jump in snap count, but it's understandable in this situation.

Now, if Calais or Abry had gone down and Bryan was losing snaps to Russell, that would be a huge red flag.
Stupid coaching decisions. They literally don't have a clue so now they are replacing players. You will probably see more changes coming where they have any depth left.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(11-26-2019, 02:27 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 02:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: I had kind of assumed that Russell was drafted as a potential replacement for Dareus. Bryan is more of a Calais Campbell type, at his best when he's free behind the line. Russell is a space-eater. It's never the most encouraging thing in the world when your team loses a key contributor and the high draft pick and that position doesn't see a huge jump in snap count, but it's understandable in this situation.

Stupid coaching decisions. They literally don't have a clue so now they are replacing players. You will probably see more changes coming where they have any depth left.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Well, I mean, Dareus is on IR and all...

Has Josh Allen given us a reason not to play him more? Hell, we may as well throw him in at LB and see what he can do there too.

(11-26-2019, 02:19 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 10:45 PM)LMD Wrote: https://twitter.com/JaguarMaven/status/1...2890943488

Forget Taven. He finally starts flashing and they reduce his game play?

You wanna know a stat line that’s really discouraging? Take a look at Josh Allen’s snap count. 

Taven is getting a pass from me this year based solely on the ineptitude of our coaches and gameplan/philosophy in all facets.

After last week Marrone said they'd look at ways to get Allen more snaps. 

This week he played even fewer lol. 

Bryan/Russell makes sense more or less, with the style of the team they were facing.

Wait a minute...

The jags give up 200+ yds on the ground in consecutive games and decide to see if putting a 320 DT up front might help them gum up the middle.

It didn’t work, but it makes sense people. I don’t get the gripe here. It’s not like the run d was gonna get worse. LOL

(11-26-2019, 06:59 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wait a minute...

The jags give up 200+ yds on the ground in consecutive games and decide to see if putting a 320 DT up front might help them gum up the middle.

It didn’t work, but it makes sense people. I don’t get the gripe here. It’s not like the run d was gonna get worse. LOL

Dareus, Bryan, Russell, and Campbell all play defensive tackle. Clearly they are exactly the same guy, duh!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Well said. The coaches are trying. They still show a lot to be desired out there on that note. 

I still feel like the majority of their woes against the run is primarily falling on their lack of experience and injuries at the LB position though. 

As far as Bryan's earlier success and grade? Falls back on coaching. He was playing out of position as a rookie. They moved him back inside where he was naturally more comfortable for the Gators and it's already paid off.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-26-2019, 02:24 AM)TJBender Wrote:

I don’t disagree, in principle. Where I lose that train though, is when I realize this isn’t the first week Dareus was out. If this was the first week post-Dareus, it’d be one thing. But this is a couple weeks without Dareus at this point. Russel apparently wasn’t good enough to even cut into Bryan’s snapcount the first few weeks after Dareus was IR’d, but now he plays one week and out-snaps Bryan.

This also isn’t just Russel cutting into Bryan’s snap count; this is Russel coming off being inactive every week to play more snaps than Bryan.

If after weeks of letting Bryan replace Dareus, the team concluded that the one move they could make to try to salvage the run defense was essentially benching their first round draft pick for a guy who wasn’t good enough to make the active game day roster as a space-eating run-stopper the past few weeks, I think that leaves room for worry about Bryan’s overall career trajectory... 

I’m more worried that Bryan basically got shelved for a guy who couldn’t make the active roster. I understand Bryan’s role isn’t to be a space-eating run-stuffer like Dareus, or hopefully Russel. But he’s still a first round draft pick playing the interior of the line; he should be, at least, somewhat competent to play the run. Yet he’s basically the only guy who lost playing time—to a guy who was inactive every week, even after Dareus went out—in an attempt to save this run defense. 

With how many issues the run defense had, in total, you don’t see any reason to worry that the one move they made was reducing Bryan’s snap count? (I’m not counting the linebackers coming back from injury as that wasn’t so much of a strategic choice as a “our first option is finally available again” move.)

If this team signed Tommy Bohanon off the scrap heap this week and then gave him more snaps than Fournette next week, would we say “well, Tommy’s a better blocker and the team needed to find a way to block better for Foles, so it makes sense Fournette, a running running-back, lost snaps?” (I realize this is a significantly more dramatic example than Russel v. Bryan, but I haven’t had any coffee yet today, so this is the best my brain can come up with. I’m open to better comparisons.)
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

(11-26-2019, 09:36 AM)LMD Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 02:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: I had kind of assumed that Russell was drafted as a potential replacement for Dareus. Bryan is more of a Calais Campbell type, at his best when he's free behind the line. Russell is a space-eater. It's never the most encouraging thing in the world when your team loses a key contributor and the high draft pick and that position doesn't see a huge jump in snap count, but it's understandable in this situation.

I don’t disagree, in principle. Where I lose that train though, is when I realize this isn’t the first week Dareus was out. If this was the first week post-Dareus, it’d be one thing. But this is a couple weeks without Dareus at this point. Russel apparently wasn’t good enough to even cut into Bryan’s snapcount the first few weeks after Dareus was IR’d, but now he plays one week and out-snaps Bryan.

This also isn’t just Russel cutting into Bryan’s snap count; this is Russel coming off being inactive every week to play more snaps than Bryan.

If after weeks of letting Bryan replace Dareus, the team concluded that the one move they could make to try to salvage the run defense was essentially benching their first round draft pick for a guy who wasn’t good enough to make the active game day roster as a space-eating run-stopper the past few weeks, I think that leaves room for worry about Bryan’s overall career trajectory... 

I’m more worried that Bryan basically got shelved for a guy who couldn’t make the active roster. I understand Bryan’s role isn’t to be a space-eating run-stuffer like Dareus, or hopefully Russel. But he’s still a first round draft pick playing the interior of the line; he should be, at least, somewhat competent to play the run. Yet he’s basically the only guy who lost playing time—to a guy who was inactive every week, even after Dareus went out—in an attempt to save this run defense. 

With how many issues the run defense had, in total, you don’t see any reason to worry that the one move they made was reducing Bryan’s snap count? (I’m not counting the linebackers coming back from injury as that wasn’t so much of a strategic choice as a “our first option is finally available again” move.)

If this team signed Tommy Bohanon off the scrap heap this week and then gave him more snaps than Fournette next week, would we say “well, Tommy’s a better blocker and the team needed to find a way to block better for Foles, so it makes sense Fournette, a running running-back, lost snaps?” (I realize this is a significantly more dramatic example than Russel v. Bryan, but I haven’t had any coffee yet today, so this is the best my brain can come up with. I’m open to better comparisons.)

1. Russell has been on the team all year. He made the roster out of camp.
2. Bryan hasn't been "benched" in favor of Russell. He played 22 snaps to Russell's 26. Campbell and Bryan do the same thing most of the time. Russell is a space eater. Bryan as the primary run stopper wasn't working because that's not what he's built to do, but Russell and his 325 lbs. are a natural fit at the position.
3. Signing Bo is a nutty example, yes. It would be more like if Fournette was placed on IR and Armstead took over the starting job, but the team decided that Ervin is a better third-down option then spent most of the game in passing sets. Yes, Ervin would get the majority of snaps in that situation, just like how Russell has gotten lots of snaps while the team is spending most of its time not defending the run. It's not that Armstead is necessarily mediocre or underachieving. It's that Ervin is a better fit for what the team wants to do in the formation they're spending most of their time in.

(11-26-2019, 10:23 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 09:36 AM)LMD Wrote: I don’t disagree, in principle. Where I lose that train though, is when I realize this isn’t the first week Dareus was out. If this was the first week post-Dareus, it’d be one thing. But this is a couple weeks without Dareus at this point. Russel apparently wasn’t good enough to even cut into Bryan’s snapcount the first few weeks after Dareus was IR’d, but now he plays one week and out-snaps Bryan.

1. Russell has been on the team all year. He made the roster out of camp.
2. Bryan hasn't been "benched" in favor of Russell. He played 22 snaps to Russell's 26. Campbell and Bryan do the same thing most of the time. Russell is a space eater. Bryan as the primary run stopper wasn't working because that's not what he's built to do, but Russell and his 325 lbs. are a natural fit at the position.
3. Signing Bo is a nutty example, yes. It would be more like if Fournette was placed on IR and Armstead took over the starting job, but the team decided that Ervin is a better third-down option then spent most of the game in passing sets. Yes, Ervin would get the majority of snaps in that situation, just like how Russell has gotten lots of snaps while the team is spending most of its time not defending the run. It's not that Armstead is necessarily mediocre or underachieving. It's that Ervin is a better fit for what the team wants to do in the formation they're spending most of their time in.

1. I understand he’s on the team, but for game day purposes he’s been inactive the last 9-10 weeks. He’s essentially a practice squad player under those circumstances.

2. “Benched” was too harsh on my part. You are right. I will retract that statement. I rushed my reply before work and before coffee; that’s on me. 

As for the 26-22 snap differential, I think I’d feel better if it was reversed or if it had been built up to this point. It’s not Bryan’s strong suit, but if this trend continues (I.e. Bryan has 14 snaps next week and Russel has 30 or something), it’s not exactly comforting thoughts for a first round draft pick. 

Which ties in with:

3. My Fournette/Bohanon example wasn’t great, but your Armstead/Erving example goes too far the other way. My issue with the Armstead/Erving situation is Armstead is a 5th round rookie. It is conceivable he wasn’t drafted to be an every down back and was always intended to be more of a role player. That we’re, apparently, equating his significance to the team to Bryan’s, who was a first round draft pick a year ago, realistically says everything I’m concerned about with this news in so many words... 

A better example probably would have been if back in Henderstroud’s prime, one of them saw less snaps than a backup who was “better suited” for a specific task. When you draft a guy as high as Bryan, at least I expect him to be competent enough in all facets of the game to not have to be hidden as the only move a coaching staff makes to fix the defense. 

But maybe it was a one week experiment and all my fears are for naught. I’m just a little uneasy that the only real move the team made to try to fix the run defense was taking snaps away from Bryan, after weeks of giving him significant run in that role.

(11-26-2019, 10:55 AM)Set LMD Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 10:23 AM)TJBender Wrote: 1. Russell has been on the team all year. He made the roster out of camp.

1. I understand he’s on the team, but for game day purposes he’s been inactive the last 9-10 weeks. He’s essentially a practice squad player under those circumstances.

2. “Benched” was too harsh on my part. You are right. I will retract that statement. I rushed my reply before work and before coffee; that’s on me. 

As for the 26-22 snap differential, I think I’d feel better if it was reversed or if it had been built up to this point. It’s not Bryan’s strong suit, but if this trend continues (I.e. Bryan has 14 snaps next week and Russel has 30 or something), it’s not exactly comforting thoughts for a first round draft pick. 

Which ties in with:

3. My Fournette/Bohanon example wasn’t great, but your Armstead/Erving example goes too far the other way. My issue with the Armstead/Erving situation is Armstead is a 5th round rookie. It is conceivable he wasn’t drafted to be an every down back and was always intended to be more of a role player. That we’re, apparently, equating his significance to the team to Bryan’s, who was a first round draft pick a year ago, realistically says everything I’m concerned about with this news in so many words... 

A better example probably would have been if back in Henderstroud’s prime, one of them saw less snaps than a backup who was “better suited” for a specific task. When you draft a guy as high as Bryan, at least I expect him to be competent enough in all facets of the game to not have to be hidden as the only move a coaching staff makes to fix the defense. 

But maybe it was a one week experiment and all my fears are for naught. I’m just a little uneasy that the only real move the team made to try to fix the run defense was taking snaps away from Bryan, after weeks of giving him significant run in that role.

I think you are just reading too much into the move. 

The coaches, out of desperation, were simply trying to mitigate the loss of Dareus by giving the stout 7th rounder a chance. He’s not ready yet, but they had to try SOMETHING. Hell, anything. 
Giving up those yards on the ground to division opponents put these coaches on the hot seat, and I’m frankly glad to see some attempt to adjust even if the late round rookie wasn’t enough to shift the tide. 

Taven losing some snaps was a byproduct or side effect. Not a designed subtraction. 
This had nothing to do with Bryan’s production this year and everything to do with the fact that he’s a 3tech and not a nose tackle.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 07:32 PM by Upper.)

There's a ton to criticize team wide these days, but trying to use a more traditional run stopping type to plug the holes in our run defense is not one of them. Especially when facing Henry.

All of this is because Bryan, Dareus, and Calais should be rotating the 3 tech spot, but with Dareus out 90 was taking his snaps in inside gaps too, something he isn't built to do. They clearly need a big, wide, heavy guy to make the 3 tech guys more effective, and that's what they are trying to get out of Russell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

How many defensive lineman do we suit up each game? 8? 9? half of those are pass rushers leaving Campbell, Bryan, Jones, and Dareus on the inside. Only two of those are run stopping interior lineman. When one goes out that leaves one guy to clog the middle. One. Perhaps this was poor roster management.

(11-26-2019, 04:09 PM)rfc17 Wrote: How many defensive lineman do we suit up each game?  8?  9?  half of those are pass rushers leaving Campbell, Bryan, Jones, and Dareus on the inside.  Only two of those are run stopping interior lineman.  When one goes out that leaves one guy to clog the middle.  One.  Perhaps this was poor roster management.

Well Nick Foles was supposed to make our offense function at a high level... allowing the Defense to play with a lead and use all that speed..... hahaha

(11-26-2019, 04:14 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 04:09 PM)rfc17 Wrote: How many defensive lineman do we suit up each game?  8?  9?  half of those are pass rushers leaving Campbell, Bryan, Jones, and Dareus on the inside.  Only two of those are run stopping interior lineman.  When one goes out that leaves one guy to clog the middle.  One.  Perhaps this was poor roster management.

Well Nick Foles was supposed to make our offense function at a high level... allowing the Defense to play with a lead and use all that speed..... hahaha

Yep. But somehow this offensive line was considered good enough during the off season to protect pretty much a pure pocket passer and that backfired within one or two quarters of football. Pretty remarkable.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."