Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan taking the next step?

He was pressuring in Houston, he was producing for the Titans game. What do you think about Taven back in his natural position?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He’s made some plays in every reg season game.

(09-21-2019, 12:38 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: He was pressuring in Houston, he was producing for the Titans game. What do you think about Taven back in his natural position?

I love the improvement, and I hope like hell it continues.

One caveat:  that improvement came against a G making his first ever start and a reserve.

It still represents improvement, but he didn't do that against a Quentin Nelson, or for that matter, someone who has established himself as a quality starter.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

lol @ all the board members writing off a player who was drafted with the understanding that he'd be a project because he didn't get 10 sacks as a rookie.

Bryan's going to be an outstanding end/tackle swing player when Calais is ready to hang them up.

(09-21-2019, 01:28 AM)TJBender Wrote: lol @ all the board members writing off a player who was drafted with the understanding that he'd be a project because he didn't get 10 sacks as a rookie.

Bryan's going to be an outstanding end/tackle swing player when Calais is ready to hang them up.

I hope like hell you are right, but I'm not ready to go that far just yet after his very first two games with appreciable positive impact.

(09-21-2019, 01:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:28 AM)TJBender Wrote: lol @ all the board members writing off a player who was drafted with the understanding that he'd be a project because he didn't get 10 sacks as a rookie.

I hope like hell you are right, but I'm not ready to go that far just yet after his very first two games with appreciable positive impact.

That's what Bryan would be a perfect fit for. Let him rotate all over the place for now, and when either Calais or Abry move on, boom, there's your new position.

(09-21-2019, 01:34 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I hope like hell you are right, but I'm not ready to go that far just yet after his very first two games with appreciable positive impact.

That's what Bryan would be a perfect fit for. Let him rotate all over the place for now, and when either Calais or Abry move on, boom, there's your new position.

To be clear, it's not the position thing I had issue with.  The role you ascribe to him fits him perfectly.

I'm not sold he will be "outstanding" at it yet, but I AM encouraged by his progress this year.

He still has the look like someone just hit him upside the head with a 2 by 4, until that goes away keep your enthusiasm in check.

I expect Tyson Alualu level play from him. Solid, splashes here and there, but never quite living up to his draft spot.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if that's his ceiling, it's not BAD, just overdrafted.

Yes, its the next step from his rookie campaign. Last week he had a QB hit that should have resulted in a pick six. This week he made numerous plays in the backfield. The only question for Bryan is, how many more steps can he take and what does that potential ultimately look like. Unlike Alualu this is a kid who was taken at the back of round 1. So if he matures into a consistent starter that earns a second contract and is someone you want on the field in pass rush situations then it will be on par with his draft position.

I want some of what you are drinking. I see him as meh but outstanding is for people like Calais. He isn't even sniffing his shoe strings yet.

(09-21-2019, 02:32 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I expect Tyson Alualu level play from him. Solid, splashes here and there, but never quite living up to his draft spot.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if that's his ceiling, it's not BAD, just overdrafted.

He was drafted lower than Alualu. When you get to the bottom end of the first round, it can be hit or miss but I think he'll be a good long-term pro. When they evaluate him, I think people should remember he's a DT not an edge rusher.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Still early. But it was fun seeing him and Smoot making plays in the backfield. It all starts with the Mayor of Sacksonville though. Campbell is the man.

When he's on. They're all on. As long as this team stays aggressive with Minshew and they keep trying to move it downfield as they have done so far they can probably have several more games unfold just like Thursday's.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It's still just his second year. I've just decided to play a wait and see approach with him until next year.

Not everybody comes into the league and kills it immediately. For all we know Taven could be a late bloomer. Or a bust. But either way, overreaction needs to be tamed regardless

I was ready to "jump the gun" on Bryan as being a total bust like so many others. His last 2 games has definitely given me hope that he can eventually become a solid starter. Let's hope he continues to improve for the remainder of this season.

He’s looked decent, but I still think he was no where near 1st round talent.

When your defense is loaded with such talent, I can imagine it's difficult to really showcase what ya got and standout..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

In his rookie season, we played Taven out of his natural position (DT) by playing him at DE. It wasn't until the last two or three games last year to which he started playing better because he went back to his DT position. He's improved alot and will continue to do so. Our D-line rotation is Killer.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(09-21-2019, 09:26 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: He’s looked decent, but I still think he was no where near 1st round talent.

Once you get into the late first round, the definition of "first round talent" gets murky. You're hitting playoff teams that might be looking for that one last piece to put them over the top and will badly reach for a guy, or playoff teams that feel like they're pretty well set and are looking for longer term prospects. Bryan falls into the latter group. He was being projected in the second round by most, and the biggest knock on him was that he's a project who would take a couple of years to pan out or not. The real busts in the late first are the Taco Charltons and Reuben Fosters of the world, guys with huge red flags that fail #asexpected despite being drafted by GMs and coaches that think they can "fix" them.

(09-21-2019, 02:11 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 09:26 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: He’s looked decent, but I still think he was no where near 1st round talent.

Once you get into the late first round, the definition of "first round talent" gets murky. You're hitting playoff teams that might be looking for that one last piece to put them over the top and will badly reach for a guy, or playoff teams that feel like they're pretty well set and are looking for longer term prospects. Bryan falls into the latter group. He was being projected in the second round by most, and the biggest knock on him was that he's a project who would take a couple of years to pan out or not. The real busts in the late first are the Taco Charltons and Reuben Fosters of the world, guys with huge red flags that fail #asexpected despite being drafted by GMs and coaches that think they can "fix" them.

I agree with your take, but I do remember many analysts for the major sites projecting him right where he went or a touch earlier even. 

He’s a project but three games in to year two he’s proving to be a good piece of the rotation.