Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roman - Caldwell

I think hiring Greg Roman to maximize Minshew Magic makes a lot of sense, and keeping Caldwell (Roman’s former roommate) is also logical in that scenario. 

See https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-rave...nsive-guru
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There is nothing about keeping Caldwell that says "logical" to me at all.
Not opposed to Greg Roman as HC at all....

But we're jumping the gun on the HC talk.
Gotta get a new GM first.

I like Greg Roman, but not for the Jags.

Greg Roman’s offensive system requires an speedy athletic QB to be effective. While Minshew is elusive with some mobility, he wont ever be mistaken for a Kaepernick or Jackson.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM by JAllen#41.)

(12-03-2019, 10:59 AM)knarnn Wrote: Greg Roman’s offensive system requires an speedy athletic QB to be effective. While Minshew is elusive with some mobility, he wont ever be mistaken for a Kaepernick or Jackson.

Or Tyrod Taylor.  This is why I don't like him for the Jags.  He does a fantastic job when he has the guys he needs for his system.  Maybe if we were to draft Jalen Hurts or something like that, but I'm not that big of a Hurts fan, at least not yet. I need to see more. He's improved for sure, but I'm still skeptical of him at the next level.

Actually, I'd rather have the Ravens DC Wink Martindale. The Ravens have a great blitzing scheme and Wink could work wonders with our DEs and LBs. Throw in a top Safety and DB in the 1st round of the draft and our D could be pretty exciting.

Just so I am clear, because Caldwell was Romans roommate, that justifies keeping him?

Does anyone have it easier than David Caldwell?

No, No, No!

a retread hire. Pass.

I’m actually OK with Caldwell. I think he’s a decent GM. I don’t, however, trust his ability to pick a head coach. And, to me, our biggest problem is developing talent and we’ve had some of the worst coaches in the league since he’s been here.

Roman was one of Caldwell's candidates back in 2013 prior to landing Bradley. I wouldn't mind Roman, given his success with the 49ERS and Ravens. However, that would all but mean some type of change at the QB position because I would be inclined to believe that he would actually want a QB with wheels. Minshew can run. But it's not his primary choice as a QB.

This would make me think a QB like Tua or even Jalen Hurts would be targets in RD1 next year. Which is kind of scary considering we don't have the offensive lineman right now to make that work. At least not comfortably in my opinion. I don't think he'll end up here anyway. Caldwell needs to go. I have made plenty of cases in various threads as to why that is.

General Manager has to be replaced. And that person in charge gets to hire his coach. And for better or worse. Pick his QB if he feels Minshew isn't the answer. Just comes with the territory. Could end up getting a Jimmy G like trade out of Minshew though in the event they decide they don't want the kid here if they find a better prospect in their eyes as well. I still feel. And I'll continue to harp on this going into next year. Until they figure out this offensive line. There's no room for another QB here.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-03-2019, 12:29 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’m actually OK with Caldwell. I think he’s a decent GM. I don’t, however, trust his ability to pick a head coach. And, to me, our biggest problem is developing talent and we’ve had some of the worst coaches in the league since he’s been here.

Caldwell might have been the problem with the coaching choices, but maybe not. 

To me, the logic of the situation says that given the state of the franchise in 2013 the Jags hands were tied. Bradley was at the top of the coordinator list. He was no doubt promised a full 4 years, and wouldn't have taken the job otherwise (nor would any other hot prospect coordinator or former HC with a good track record). How wrong the Jags were to actually honor that promise is debatable, but they went the honorable route.

The Marrone hire looks to be mostly Coughlin. The Wash/Hackett coordinators might have been Caldwell. In either case I'd say both Coughlin and Caldwell had to at least accept the choices; Caldwell always had the option to resign if stuck with a Coughlin mandate.

My guess is that there would be an 80% chance to get a worse GM if Caldwell were fired. If the plan is to clean house it may need to be done, but don't expect an improvement.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Has everyone just forgotten those articles that implied Bradley was not necessarily Caldwell’s top choice, but Tony and Shad Khan’s?

Regardless -he was part of extending him, so... he’s not blameless there.

(12-03-2019, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 12:29 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’m actually OK with Caldwell. I think he’s a decent GM. I don’t, however, trust his ability to pick a head coach. And, to me, our biggest problem is developing talent and we’ve had some of the worst coaches in the league since he’s been here.

Caldwell might have been the problem with the coaching choices, but maybe not. 

To me, the logic of the situation says that given the state of the franchise in 2013 the Jags hands were tied. Bradley was at the top of the coordinator list. He was no doubt promised a full 4 years, and wouldn't have taken the job otherwise (nor would any other hot prospect coordinator or former HC with a good track record). How wrong the Jags were to actually honor that promise is debatable, but they went the honorable route.

The Marrone hire looks to be mostly Coughlin. The Wash/Hackett coordinators might have been Caldwell. In either case I'd say both Coughlin and Caldwell had to at least accept the choices; Caldwell always had the option to resign if stuck with a Coughlin mandate.

My guess is that there would be an 80% chance to get a worse GM if Caldwell were fired. If the plan is to clean house it may need to be done, but don't expect an improvement.

That’s a good point. Bradley was certainly a top candidate. I’d hope that some of his coaching flaws would’ve been revealed during the interview / background process. Who knows? Maybe he slipped through the cracks. 

I suppose we don’t truly know who he’d pick without Coughlin’s influence. Marrone does seem like an opposite of Bradley. At this point, as long as he’s had, I’m OK with going in a new direction.

i'd give Caldwell a deal. Fire everyone else and he has 2 more years to do something. I just dont want to get rid of the GM just yet. Idk though.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(12-03-2019, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: My guess is that there would be an 80% chance to get a worse GM if Caldwell were fired. If the plan is to clean house it may need to be done, but don't expect an improvement.

Our record under Caldwell over the past 7 years under Caldwell is 34-74 and you're telling us we have an 80% change of getting worse if he's fired? 

We are such a pathetic franchise.

If Roman is bringing Lamar Jackson with him then I'm all for it. I doubt Roman goes anywhere since he has his dream QB.

(12-03-2019, 01:45 PM)jg77 Wrote: If Roman is bringing Lamar Jackson with him then I'm all for it. I doubt Roman goes anywhere since he has his dream QB.

So you think a guy will opt to remain a coordinator because he likes his QB rather than take one of the 32 jobs that exist on the entire planet?

Caldwell has proven to be a bad GM, but my god I think he has a future as a hypnotist. It's ridiculous how people can keep defending him after producing just terrible results over 2/3 of a damn decade despite having more ammo to build a franchise than any GM in history.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 03:07 PM by Kane.)

(12-03-2019, 02:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Caldwell has proven to be a bad GM, but my god I think he has a future as a hypnotist. It's ridiculous how people can keep defending him after producing just terrible results over 2/3 of a damn decade despite having more ammo to build a franchise than any GM in history.

Agreed.
I've done breakdowns of his drafts and FA every time it pops up that Caldwell "is a good GM" or "has done a good job"

He's done an OK job at best.
Coughlin was brought in to oversee him... if you're a good GM, you don't need a babysitter.
He drafted Bortles top 5 (bust)
He drafted Fowler Jr (bust)
He picked Bradley (even if Khan had something to do with it) and also Marrone (even if Tom had something to do with it)
He has had numerous drafts that were complete throwaways.
He hasn't gotten us a good tight end really.
He's had quite a few bonehead free agent pickups. (Dekoda Watson, Gerhart, Moncrief, to name a few)
His best draft selections were lay ups (Ramsey and Josh Allen) and one of em ain't with us anymore.

Now... I'm not saying he's trash... he could have certainly done worse. But he hasn't done enough to warrant keeping him and trusting he'll make the best moves to dig us out of this rut that he himself has helped put us in. And I believe Coughlin is the reason Ramsey isn't here and we netted good draft picks for him, so not a total loss there.
And Coughlin, I believe, shares the blame in doubling down on Bortles, picking Fournette, and Taven instead of addressing real needs and issues (QB, OL)

For every good move he's had a bad one. For every great move a terrible one. And a bunch of average at best moves in between.

Completely. Clean. House.

(12-03-2019, 01:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 01:45 PM)jg77 Wrote: If Roman is bringing Lamar Jackson with him then I'm all for it. I doubt Roman goes anywhere since he has his dream QB.

So you think a guy will opt to remain a coordinator because he likes his QB rather than take one of the 32 jobs that exist on the entire planet?

Yeah... I'd rather stay OC in Baltimore than take a HC job for a crap franchise that always sucks and will leave you jobless in 3 years.
It's not just about the QB but about building a resume, winning, and getting a job he would rather have as opposed to a job almost no one wants.
There have been instances of jobs being open and coordinators declining the interview (Buffalo, NYJ, and Cleveland all recently come to mind over the past few years)
Now... if he was an OC for say... Miami? Yeah, they'll take the HC job in a NY minute.