Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BULLSEYE'S 6th Annual "THIS WEEK IN THE AFCS" - Week 14

I'm filling in for Bullseye while health issues prevent him from posting.  Bullseye, we all miss you and hope your situation improves.

I'd like to take the liberty of saying that I hope everyone had a safe, warm and relaxing Thanksgiving.  This year was the 2nd consecutive year my family had a smoked turkey instead of an oven-baked turkey.  It was less messy, but I think I want to go the oven route again next year.  I followed the football games and then watched a movie with my family.  The movie was called "For Sama" and was a documentary about the battle of Aleppo.  Needless to say, after watching that movie we all agreed that we had a lot to be thankful for.  I was also thankful for going 2-1 on my picks.  Huge props to Wolfie who went 3-0 and seems to have a knack for picking upsets.  Also, a little credit to Anonymous who was the only other poster to give the Texans a chance.

Tennessee @ [font=Arial]Indianapolis [/font]- Recap

With 5 minutes left in the game, Colts fans could be excused for being cautiously optimistic.  Having marched 62 yards down the field and with the score tied 17-17 & lined up for the go-ahead field goal, there wasn't serious cause for apprehension.  They had all their timeouts, which would ensure they would most likely get at least one more offensive drive in no matter what the Titans did on their ensuing possession.
Sometimes fans have to deal with terrible heartbreak, however, and this was one of those times.  In a wild ending to the game, the Colts would see their field goal attempt blocked AND returned for a touchdown.  Two plays into their next drive, Jacoby Brissett is picked off and that results in another Titan touchdown after a 3rd down pass from Tannehill to Kalif Raymond goes 40 yards for the score.

This loss had dire consequences for Indianapolis, who now have to go on the road for 3 of their last 4 games and do battle with Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Carolina, and Jacksonville.  A full sweep might be required to qualify for the postseason.  As for Tennessee, they have two home games and 2 road games left, and have to play Oakland, New Orleans, and Houston (twice).  This is also a tough finish, but it will make for some interesting and meaningful football in December.

Tampa Bay @ Jacksonville - Recap

Turnovers, turnovers.  Nick Foles once again struggled, giving up an interception and 2 fumbles due to sacks...one of those fumbles being a fumble-6.  He would be benched at halftime, but by the time Gardner Minshew II took over at quarterback for the Jags the score was 25-0 in favor of the Buccaneers.  GM15 would bring a spark to the offense before the night was through and would navigate the Jags to 11 points, almost adding another touchdown pass if Westbrook had been able to catch & retain it.  Credit to the Bucs for coming prepared and ready to play even though they are mostly playing for pride. 

New England @ [font=Arial]Houston[/font] - Recap

The end score was not an accurate depiction of how this game went.  The Texans manhandled the Patriots, period.  In probably their best game of the year, Houston did what I love to see..they got up 14-3 early on New England and did not play to simply protect the lead.  On the contrary, they stayed aggressive and aired it out the entire game, increasing their lead to 28-9 with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  That is how you beat the Patriots.  Deshaun Watson's performance was excellent, and included 3 passing touchdowns and another touchdown he ran in on a trick play.  Was it just me, or did Brady seem to look more old & slow that he has before?  Regardless, by New England dropping that game they now have ceded the coveted "Home Field Throughout" lead to Baltimore.

Now for the picks:

Game 1  (Denver @ [font=Arial]Houston[/font])

Last week, Denver (4-8) pulled out a close win at home against the Chargers (4-8) as Gus Bradley's defense gave up a 37 yard pass interference penalty with 3 seconds left in the game.  This allowed a 53 yard field goal attempt, which was good.  Don't expect similar heroics in this game.  If this game isn't over by the start of the 4th quarter, then I'll be very surprised.

[font=Arial][font=Arial]Texans[/font][/font]  33
[font=Arial][font=Arial]Broncos[/font][/font]  10

Game 2  ([font=Arial]Indianapolis[/font] @ [font=Arial][font=Arial]Tampa Bay[/font][/font])

How good are the Colts, really?  Back-to-back losses against divisional rivals have taken their toll, and the Colts (6-6) find themselves on the outside and looking in as far as playoffs are concerned.  The Buccaneers (5-7) have managed to look competent the last few weeks, but they have only won 1 game out of 5 at home this year.  I think Indy's push for a 10-6 record and possible playoff berth gets off on the right foot this week.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Colts[/font][/font][/font][/font]  27
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Buccaneers[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  23

Game 3  (San Diego @ Jacksonville)

The Chargers travel to Duval this Sunday to most likely face a Gardner Minshew II variation of the Jaguars offense.  The Chargers' (4-8) season parallels the Jaguars' (4-8) season a little.  Both teams have 4-8 records and both teams recently suffered back-to-back-to-back losses to divisional rivals that put the lid on their postseason aspirations.  I wanted to preface this by saying I'm not a GM15 groupie or anything and I'm certainly not the homer type, but I like our Jaguars' chances in this matchup.  Why?  I'll give you 4 reasons:

1)  The Chargers are a team that plays to the level of their competition, which gives anyone a shot against them.
2)  Our Jaguars (4-8) as a whole seemed to respond well to the quarterback change last week.  The defense seemed to tighten up, and the offense resembled a functional unit again.
3)  Philip Rivers has been sacked 26 times this year, and I expect that number to go over 30 after this game.
4)  Gus Bradley has always, always had a hard time winning in Jacksonville.

That's enough for me to spend a pick on the Jags this week.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Jaguars[/font][/font][/font][/font]  26
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Chargers[/font][/font][/font]  21

Game 4  (Tennessee @ [font=Arial]Oakland[/font])

The Titans (7-5) travel to RingCentral Coliseum to take on the Raiders (6-6) in a 4pm matchup.  Tennessee has everything working right now:  competent QB play, good running game, a tough defense and a special teams unit that is very opportunistic.  On the other hand, Oakland is very inconsistent and has a tendency to let the game get away when the dominos start falling.  This leads to blowouts, and Oakland is no stranger to those.  They also haven't really beaten a good team yet, unless you count the Colts in week 4.  Compared to the rest of the Titan's schedule, this is a gimme win.  I expect them to take full advantage of it.

[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Titans[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  28
[font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial][font=Arial]Raiders[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]  14

Last Week  2-1

Overall  27-12

Pete Prisco last week  2-1
Pete Prisco overall  21-18
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Excellent analysis.

I'll take:

Texans over Broncos
Colts over Buccaneers
Chargers over Jaguars
Titans over Raiders

1-2 last week
19-16 overall
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM by Mikey.)

Thanks again, Kodiak. You've had some huge shoes to fill, and done a bang-up job every week.

22-17 coming in, after a 2-1 week 13.

Hou 32 Den 17 - The tinhorns are looking ready for postseason. After getting amped up for last week's matchup against the Patriots, don't worry about a letdown. Lock takes some lumps and makes some costly rookie mistakes.
TB 20 Ind 19 - Playing the Jags makes any offense look good, but the Bucs have weapons and Indy has been dropping some competitive games. TB gets the nod due to home field. The game appears to be slowing down for Devin White, and he has all the looks of a superstar. Indy needs to know where he is on every play, or he'll ruin their afternoon.
LAC 23 Jax 19 - It appears that Minshew mania is resurrected, and the team is behind him. The defense is still a liability, and Minshew and company will be hard pressed to keep the game close all day.  Do we have an interim coach by this Sunday??
Ten 31 Oak 20 - Like Houston, the tacks are playing well in crunch time. Is Tannehill doing enough to secure a long-term spot on their roster? Oakland is a young team, Gruden will have to be on his game to keep them from fading as the season lumbers on. In the end, the tacks are too much, and wear down the Raiders' D.

(edited for readability, sorry about the wall of text)

0-3 last week

23-16 overall

Texans
Colts
Jaguars
Titans
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

22-16 so far

I almost want to go all AFCS

But I’ll go with:

Houston
Indy
Oakland
Jags <— that can go either way but man the chargers suck too. And they’re traveling. Minshew lowers the draft pick of his new offensive lineman.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM by snowwolf776.)

thank you kodak jag we had a great thanksgiveing. I got to do the escape room in fort myers with my cousins,and auent. we had a lot of fun. oh if anyone on the board has a way to get in touch with bullseye by phone please call him,and ask how hes doing,and let him know we all are thinking about him as well as praying for him.

25-14 overall. this week is a little tougher to pick. playoffs are nearing and teams are fighting for playoff spots,and to be spoliers.

this is the week were it all really starts to become on any giveing sunday unless Mr. overrated is starting qb for the jags.

this week my picks are 

Texans

titans

colts

jags  with minshew  back the offensse is completly different team. both teams are on loseing streaks. Jags are ussalley the team to end a teams loseing streak. this week due to jags qb minshew jags will get a win. again foles is overrated.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

[quote pid='1267136' dateline='1575274793']
KodiakJag

[/quote]

In it to beat pete:
Texans
Colts
Chargers
Oakland

2-1 last week
18-19 overall

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Last week 0-3
Overall 22-17

This weeks picks:
tinhorns
Bucs
Chargers
tacks

(12-02-2019, 01:40 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Excellent analysis.

I'll take:

Texans over Broncos
Colts over Buccaneers
Chargers over Jaguars
Titans over Raiders

My picks:

Texans 28 Broncos 13
Colts 22 Bucs 19
Chargers 24 Jags 21
Titans 34 Raiders 21

My first time participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

I haven't bothered to keep up with my overall record, but I know that I'm probably around .500 or so with my lousy picks this past few weeks.

This week I'll pick the AFC South to sweep their opponents.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-04-2019, 02:58 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 01:40 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: Excellent analysis.

I'll take:

Texans over Broncos
Colts over Buccaneers
Chargers over Jaguars
Titans over Raiders

My picks:

Texans 28  Broncos 13
Colts 22  Bucs 19
Chargers 24  Jags 21
Titans 34  Raiders 21

My first time participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like pretty good picks to me. 

Welcome to the Bullseye’s rat race Smile

Now 22-17

Houston
Tampa Bay
Jaguars finally get it right
Oakland
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Prisco posted his picks 8 hours ago.  From cbssports.com:

Denver Broncos at Houston Texans (-9.5)

The Broncos won in Drew Lock's first start last week, but this will be his first road start. That will be a challenge against an improving Houston defense. The Texans lit up the Patriots last week, and Deshaun Watson will build on that. Texans take it. 
Pick: Texans 26, Broncos 13

Indianapolis Colts at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3)

The Colts didn't look good in losing to the Titans last week. The Bucs have impressed the past two weeks as their defense has made strides. With Jacoby Brissett not playing well, I think the Bucs will pull find a way to pull this one out. 
Pick: Bucs 27, Colts 21

Los Angeles Chargers (-3) at Jacksonville Jaguars

This is a game between two disappointing teams. The Jaguars are wisely going back to Gardner Minehew at quarterback, which should give them some spark. The problem is the offensive line. I think Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram will be all over Minshew. The Chargers will win a low-scoring game.
Pick: Chargers 19, Jaguars 14

Tennessee Titans at Oakland Raiders (+2.5)

The Titans are playing consecutive road games, and this is a classic sandwich game between the Colts and the Texans. That makes it a be-careful game, which is why the Raiders will find a way to win it. Look for Derek Carr to play big here as the Raiders stay alive. 
Pick: Raiders 27, Titans 23

PRISCO'S PICKS - WEEK 14

Like Prisco, coming into the weekend 21-18.

Houston over Denver: Watson is the complete package. Can't wait to see how Lock does this week, though.
Tampa Bay over Indy: Kinda interested in seeing how many picks Winston throws in this one. Won't matter.
Tacks at Raiders: Tennessee is on a roll, and I think they keep rolling.
and....

Jacksonville over San Diego: I literally flipped a coin. I actually think the Chargers are overdue, but dammit, my sister called tails and I'm sticking to it.

2-1 last week, so 22-17 overall.

This week I'll go texans, colts, tacks, and chargers.

I'd like to think the Jaguars can beat the chargers, but I'll have to wait and see with the patchwork defense we're running out there.

19-19 overall

Jags
Titans
Colts
Texans

2-1 last week now 17-22 overall
expecting
horns over brokeOs
bucs over clots
Jaguars over bolts
raiders over tacks
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Week # 13 Results: 2-1
Overall: 24-15

Week # 14 Selections

Houston
Tampa Bay
Tennessee
LA Chargers

(12-03-2019, 03:33 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [quote pid='1267136' dateline='1575274793']
KodiakJag

In it to beat pete:
Texans
Colts
Chargers
Oakland

2-1 last week
18-19 overall
[/quote]

1-3
19-22 overall
Got everyone wrong except the only one I wanted to be wrong on.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(12-03-2019, 09:45 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: thank you kodak jag we had a great thanksgiveing. I got to do the escape room in fort myers with my cousins,and auent. we had a lot of fun. oh if anyone on the board has a way to get in touch with bullseye by phone please call him,and ask how hes doing,and let him know we all are thinking about him as well as praying for him.

25-14 overall. this week is a little tougher to pick. playoffs are nearing and teams are fighting for playoff spots,and to be spoliers.

this is the week were it all really starts to become on any giveing sunday unless Mr. overrated is starting qb for the jags.

this week my picks are 

Texans

titans

colts

jags  with minshew  back the offensse is completly different team. both teams are on loseing streaks. Jags are ussalley the team to end a teams loseing streak. this week due to jags qb minshew jags will get a win. again foles is overrated.

1-3 this week.   26-17 over all.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them.