Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What happened to Foles?

(12-05-2019, 03:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:02 PM)Predator Wrote: On top of that, he didn't get any reps during the preseason so he is probably a bit rusty when it comes to live action.

He did get action in the 3rd game vs the Dolphins, plus he had plenty of training camp reps. That said, it looks like he barely had a chance to practice with guys before being thrown back out there. If he had, the team would have noticed the issues regarding his lack of confidence in the clavicle and lack of arm strength in his throwing arm before having to witness as much in a real game. He clearly needed more time to get his arm ready so somebody screwed the pooch there. In other words, they started him ASAP without having any real clue if he was ready to throw.
So why did Minshew come in with no reps with the 1's and play much better?

We are just making excuses for why Foles sucks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Could not imagine getting mauled by a 300 pounder, breaking a bone and then asked to get behind this line hoping it won’t happen again. He has got to be thinking every time this o-line whiffs a block, “ am I gonna die?..”

Still convinced fully healed his ceiling still isn’t as high as Minshew. Jags got lucky grabbing that kid in the 6th round, Foles not so lucky!

(12-05-2019, 02:20 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: - His wife suffered miscarriage 5 months ago.
- He suffers broken collarbone in and came back way too soon. Should have stay out the whole season.
- Maybe he was afraid to lose his job with the Minshew thing. He was forcing a lot of throws and you can say that his arm is not as strong as it was in Philly.

Just a whole bad year for him. Maybe with a new coaching staff and a better OL/weapons, he could come back as a starter for us.

Agreed. Not ready to give up on Foles. Minshew has shown some promise. But I would like to see both of them competing next year for the job under new leadership and direction and may the best man win. I know some of us are not opposed to drafting one of the top two QB prospects in April of next year but I really like 2021's prospects a bit more and would rather see the 2020 class dedicated towards shoring up the offensive line and filling out the back seven on defense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-05-2019, 04:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:20 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: - His wife suffered miscarriage 5 months ago.
- He suffers broken collarbone in and came back way too soon. Should have stay out the whole season.
- Maybe he was afraid to lose his job with the Minshew thing. He was forcing a lot of throws and you can say that his arm is not as strong as it was in Philly.

Just a whole bad year for him. Maybe with a new coaching staff and a better OL/weapons, he could come back as a starter for us.

Agreed. Not ready to give up on Foles. Minshew has shown some promise. But I would like to see both of them competing next year for the job under new leadership and direction and may the best man win. I know some of us are not opposed to drafting one of the top two QB prospects in April of next year but I really like 2021's prospects a bit more and would rather see the 2020 class dedicated towards shoring up the offensive line and filling out the back seven on defense.

I was one of them..might still be, who knows. Fields looks really good. I like your idea of letting things flush out in the wash.

You make some very good points.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 04:36 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

Not sure why the coming back too soon thing keeps being said...

He was cleared two weeks before he even started playing.

(12-05-2019, 04:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Could not  imagine getting mauled by a 300 pounder, breaking a bone and then asked to get behind this line hoping it won’t happen again. He has got to be thinking every time this o-line whiffs a block, “ am I gonna die?..”

Still convinced fully healed his ceiling still isn’t as high as Minshew. Jags got lucky grabbing that kid in the 6th round, Foles not so lucky!
Then he's mentally soft.

(12-05-2019, 04:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 04:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Could not  imagine getting mauled by a 300 pounder, breaking a bone and then asked to get behind this line hoping it won’t happen again. He has got to be thinking every time this o-line whiffs a block, “ am I gonna die?..”

Then he's mentally soft.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1jlzI7krz3-1apgYD4_f...gF5A4J1A&s]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Foles also does not have Alshon Jeffery to throw it to. Just put it in his general vicinity and Alshon will catch it. Not so in JAX.

(12-05-2019, 05:18 PM)Anaheim Jaguars Wrote: Foles also does not have Alshon Jeffery to throw it to. Just put it in his general vicinity and Alshon will catch it. Not so in JAX.

Chark is on pace to demolish any numbers put up by Jeffrey in Philly. 
That is patently NOT the problem. 

No Ertz would have been a MUCH better argument. You could then move to 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...92992?s=20

Foles is just straight up not as good of a QB as minshew is. I don’t see how analysts are just dismissing Minshew as “a flash in the pan” Minshew sees the field exceptionally well for how young he is.. and it’s only going to get better. Excited the fan base and is a better QB: no brainer to move on to Minshew.

(12-05-2019, 05:48 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Foles is just straight up not as good of a QB as minshew is. I don’t see how analysts are just dismissing Minshew as “a flash in the pan” Minshew sees the field exceptionally well for how young he is.. and it’s only going to get better. Excited the fan base and is a better QB: no brainer to move on to Minshew.

That’s a whole different debate, one which I agree with you. This thread in particular discussing Foles own drop off. 

There have been some great points made thus far that has given me some pause to write Foles off. The miscarriage in particular, that’s something that can really [BLEEP] with your head.

(12-05-2019, 05:18 PM)Anaheim Jaguars Wrote: Foles also does not have Alshon Jeffery to throw it to. Just put it in his general vicinity and Alshon will catch it. Not so in JAX.

DJ Chark is better than Jeffery and it isn't close.

That first and third reason are personal issues that should not effect the on the field psyche of an elite athlete. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I've seen players like Brett Favre who lost his father and Kwon Alexander who's brother was murdered, come back the next week, even the next day and have the game of their life. They used the pain as motivation. You either use tragedy as motivation to propel you forward or it will make you fold if you're not mentally strong. In order to succeed in football, you cannot let off the field issues effect your play or it will ruin you. With that said, from a more practical point of view, this team looks nothing like the team Foles had success with in Philadelphia. They had a very strong O-Line, that gave him tons of time to make his reads, they had RB's who were good receivers out of the backfield and set up screens well and they had not one, but two good TE's who were excellent receivers. We don't have any of those things. When we signed Foles, we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. The system we have in place was not designed for him to succeed. To give him a shot to be anything close to what he was in Philadelphia, we're gonna have to make a lot of changes and I just don't see that happening in one year. 

On a somewhat brighter note, I was reading an article on ESPN.com today about where key QB's may end up next season and there was a write up on Foles. They suggested this, Foles $15.1 million base salary for 2020 is fully guaranteed. If he is on the roster 5 days after the start of free agency, a $5 million roster bonus is 2021 becomes guaranteed. That means we'd owe him more than $20 million in additional cash over the next 2 seasons. They suggested we could possibly get Foles to re-structure his contract. We could convert most of that $15.1 million salary into a roster bonus at the start of 2020 and then trade Foles. If Foles were willing to reduce his unguaranteed base salary in 2021, he could end up costing his new team somewhere around $10 million over 2 years. We'd likely have to send a mid round pick a long with him to get a deal done, since we'd essentially be saving $10 million off his contract and we'd still have to eat a substantial amount in dead money, but it would be significantly cheaper than cutting him outright. In any case, I believe what will happen is that he will still be here in 2020, riding the pine behind Minshew and making this team look just as foolish as we did when Bortles was stinking up the place, after signing his new deal.

It's quite simple really...

He's the same guy who hes always been and that isn't any good.

He was carried by a great team and great coaching staff on that Eagles team. They had an elite OL. A really good Defense with a top 2 DL. Great play makers and again, a really good coaching staff.

The truth is Minshew Mania. Once a guy loses his edge, it’s over. The rookie just made it tough to keep Foles around.

It reminds me of the Russell Wilson situation back when they signed Matt Flynn to be the starter. Russ just outplayed him.

This missed on Foles. And it’s gonna cost us. But at least we got a first round pick from the Rams for ol Jalen.

Outside of last Sunday he did not play horribly. This team is just not talented enough.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I don’t think Foles has recovered from that injury. He’s playing opposite to what Foles is know for... he timid, slow velocity, inaccurate. He’s playing scared. I hope they keep him and allow him to oppose Minshew going into camp. I don’t doubt Minshew will win that spot, but I’d like to keep Foles for the off chance we see the Foles we saw in Philly.

It's a team sport. Mediocre QBs look good when play around them is good and bad when it is bad.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 05:29 AM by MikePete54.)

(12-05-2019, 07:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

That first and third reason are personal issues that should not effect the on the field psyche of an elite athlete. I don't mean to sound heartless, but I've seen players like Brett Favre who lost his father and Kwon Alexander who's brother was murdered, come back the next week, even the next day and have the game of their life. They used the pain as motivation. You either use tragedy as motivation to propel you forward or it will make you fold if you're not mentally strong. In order to succeed in football, you cannot let off the field issues effect your play or it will ruin you. With that said, from a more practical point of view, this team looks nothing like the team Foles had success with in Philadelphia. They had a very strong O-Line, that gave him tons of time to make his reads, they had RB's who were good receivers out of the backfield and set up screens well and they had not one, but two good TE's who were excellent receivers. We don't have any of those things. When we signed Foles, we tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. The system we have in place was not designed for him to succeed. To give him a shot to be anything close to what he was in Philadelphia, we're gonna have to make a lot of changes and I just don't see that happening in one year. 

Just because you are an elite athlete, doesn't mean that you can get over it. A miscarriage is something that can affect your whole life. Football is nothing compare to this tragedy. 
People calling Foles "weak" is just not fair. Can you imagine all the pressure this guy used to have on his shoulders after the Wentz injury ? The team was 12-2, a Superbowl contender. As a backup, you better be mentally strong. 
Same with Jacksonville. He knows that people are expecting a lot from him with the huge contract. To me he was trying to do too much in the last 3 games. He is not healthy, he wanted to prove that he could lead this team to the playoffs. 
I agree with people saying that this team is not build to play for the strengths of Foles and DeFilippo offense (thank you Front Office....).  The tight end position is a big part of DeFilippo's offense. And what do we have ? Geoff Swaim, 48 rec in 43 games in career...A rookie who has been injuried most of the season. O'shaughnessy is our best TE, but 60 rec in 58 games and 3 TD in career....
The RB position...they keep trying to run in the middle while our inside Oline is struggling to create holes for Fournette. 

We have two good QBs. One is a pocket passer, the other one is a mobile QB. But as long as the OLine collapse in 2 seconds, none will be able to play with his strengths.