Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
WAIT I KNOW WHY WE SUCKED for a Decade (and why 2017 wasn’t sustained)

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 02:35 PM by MojoKing.)

Tyson Alualu
D Anthony Smith
Larry Hart

Blaine Gabbert
Will Rackley
Cecil Shorts

Justin Blackmon
Andre Branch
Bryan Anger

Luke Joeckel
Jonathan Cyprien
Dwayne Gratz

Blake Bortles
Marquise Lee
Allen Robinson
Brandon Linder 

Dante Fowler
TJ Yeldon 
AJ Cann 

The only top 3 round selections in the drafts remaining are AJ Cann and Brandon Linder. In fact, out of our drafts from 2010-2015 NO PLAYERS remain (unless you want to add Koyack and Marquise then that’s 4) 

I’ve not counted future years because this next year is the start of the next cycle of 5year options. But, it’s not like the drafts from 2016-2019 are all that better. Ramsey was great now gone, Yannick will he be back? Jack is OK. DJ Chark might be the only saving grace of the 2018 draft. The 2019 Draft has promise, in fact it could be our best draft in franchise history  IFFFF Allen continues his awesomeness, Taylor develops, and most importantly if Minshew is in fact the real deal. 

In 2017, we had a HUGE buttress of FA talent Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, Gip, Church, Poz, but all of these guys were bound to leave in a 3 year window. 

I know this isn’t news to really probably any of you. As this is just so obvious. I would like to say however. 
While I am in favor of a coaching staff change, I am MORE in favor of a front office change/scouting department overhaul. 

When Doug had the players, we were a missed call away from a Super Bowl (with Blake freakin Bortles). 

With no one from Dave’s first three drafts on the roster, aging FA’s and bad FA signings, confusion on Toms role, Defensive young stars gone (Ramsey and Telvin), a failed 88mil QB. I don’t know how ANY coach in this league would be successful. 

Whoever we hire next is going to have to overcome A LOT. And may never come as close as Doug did to getting us a championship. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree, the FO has to go. That will of course take Marrone with it. New GM is gonna want "his" guy.

Hell when we got to 4-4 I was thinking he could have been coach of the year. Then he went back to Foles....which I'm not sure was his call, though we'll never really know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

The talent Caldwell brought in is actually pretty decent. It's just that we haven't been able to keep the best player in each draft from 2014-16.
In 2014, the best player in our draft was Robinson
In 2015, our best player were Fowler and Yeldon
In 2016, Ramsey and (maybe) Ngokue

Fowler
Yeldon

I don’t understand what the problem is... We draft them, they do good, they get to move up to the pros(Rams etc)..Are we not a farm team?

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 04:13 PM by Hard_Eight.)

(12-06-2019, 04:04 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I don’t understand what the problem is... We draft them, they do good, they get to move up to the pros(Rams etc)..Are we not a farm team?
Very shrimp-esque but the Shrimp actually compete and stuff. And have better beer prices

(12-06-2019, 04:04 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I don’t understand what the problem is... We draft them, they do good, they get to move up to the pros(Rams etc)..Are we not a farm team?

Basically, but some ppl support the FO decisions each year.  With that type of fan support, they keep their jobs until their supporters are even fed up.  It's been this way forever actually.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(12-06-2019, 04:13 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
Very shrimp-esque but the Shrimp actually compete and stuff. And have better beer prices

I like that Minshew kid. I think he’s gonna get a call from the big league one day. 

Remember that one time that Hyde kid got sent down and then sent back up? 

Hey better to laugh about this [BLEEP] then cry about it. At this point it’s a decent old running joke.

The other side of the coin is that with the exception of Campbell and Buyoue, most of their high priced FAs have been flops.

(12-06-2019, 04:16 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

Basically, but some ppl support the FO decisions each year.  With that type of fan support, they keep their jobs until their supporters are even fed up.  It's been this way forever actually.

I agree.  It was like that with Gene especially.  People would defend him to the death
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-06-2019, 04:50 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: The other side of the coin is that with the exception of Campbell and Buyoue, most of their high priced FAs have been flops.

Unfortunately that’s about 80% of all free agent signings for every team. Good teams build thru the draft and develop and keep their own players. Bad teams try to circumvent the process and sign a bunch of high priced free agents who won’t make it to the end of their contracts and will set the team back in future cap space.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-06-2019, 02:34 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Tyson Alualu
D Anthony Smith
Larry Hart

Blaine Gabbert
Will Rackley
Cecil Shorts

Justin Blackmon
Andre Branch
Bryan Anger

Luke Joeckel
Jonathan Cyprien
Dwayne Gratz

Blake Bortles
Marquise Lee
Allen Robinson
Brandon Linder 

Dante Fowler
TJ Yeldon 
AJ Cann 

The only top 3 round selections in the drafts remaining are AJ Cann and Brandon Linder. In fact, out of our drafts from 2010-2015 NO PLAYERS remain (unless you want to add Koyack and Marquise then that’s 4) 

I’ve not counted future years because this next year is the start of the next cycle of 5year options. But, it’s not like the drafts from 2016-2019 are all that better. Ramsey was great now gone, Yannick will he be back? Jack is OK. DJ Chark might be the only saving grace of the 2018 draft. The 2019 Draft has promise, in fact it could be our best draft in franchise history  IFFFF Allen continues his awesomeness, Taylor develops, and most importantly if Minshew is in fact the real deal. 

In 2017, we had a HUGE buttress of FA talent Jackson, Campbell, Bouye, Gip, Church, Poz, but all of these guys were bound to leave in a 3 year window. 

I know this isn’t news to really probably any of you. As this is just so obvious. I would like to say however. 
While I am in favor of a coaching staff change, I am MORE in favor of a front office change/scouting department overhaul. 

When Doug had the players, we were a missed call away from a Super Bowl (with Blake freakin Bortles). 

With no one from Dave’s first three drafts on the roster, aging FA’s and bad FA signings, confusion on Toms role, Defensive young stars gone (Ramsey and Telvin), a failed 88mil QB. I don’t know how ANY coach in this league would be successful. 

Whoever we hire next is going to have to overcome A LOT. And may never come as close as Doug did to getting us a championship. 

There were mistakes made in the draft, but a lot of the problem is coaching. There are two coaching positions where this has shown up as glaring, OL and DB.

OL: Counting Gene Smith, the Jags have drafted three OTs and three guards in the first three rounds since 2010. It's a stretch to claim that they were ALL mistakes. Linder is the only one I'd call a quality player, but he never improved after his rookie year (at least he didn't completely drop off). Robinson and Cann had their best years as rookies. If these guys stunk immediately then I'd blame Caldwell, but they just never improved over their rookie seasons. The same can be said about free agents Norwell and Beadles, both former Pro Bowlers who severely declined in the Jags camp.

DB: Cyprien and Gratz both looked promising as rookies. McCray and Evans (not high picks) also showed some promise but quickly faded. Colvin looked better as a rookie than he did in his second year, although he rallied when moved to nickel CB in 2017. Free agent House was good his first year, in the doghouse his second. Same with Blackmon. This disaster ended when we got a new DB coach in 2017, but there were a lot of wasted DB picks and signings before that.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Gene Smith IMO might be the worst GM ever in league history. Caldwell’s drafts have been decent, but nothing spectacular. His big mess up was Bortles. That set the team back for years, it’s a QB driven league if you have a good one your team is good and if you don’t you probably are either going to suck or try to rely on defense/running which doesn’t work in this era. You need a qb. Caldwell might save himself if Minshew turns out to be something special.

Gene smith left the cupboard super bare. But a bigger issue now is that we aren't retaining the good ones we draft and a lot of our players fall off after intially being good (and then shine elsewhere). Not sure who is to blame for that.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM by Caldrac.)

The main issue has been their failures at the Quarterback position. It's that simple. You can get away with not having slam dunks and hitting grand slams in every draft as long as you have your Quarterback.

Let's just face it. Since they traded Mark Brunell to the Washington Redskins in 2004 this team has lacked an identity on offense in the passing game and they've tried like hell to mask it with a running game over the years. Leftwich failed, Garrard was the band-aid. Garrard failed, Gabbert was the band-aid. Gabbert failed, Henne was the band-aid. Henne failed, Bortles was the band-aid.

Bortles failed, Foles was the band-aid. Foles has failed so far due to injury, Minshew has been the promising band-aid.

This franchise has been STARVING for a Quarterback for 15 years now. Green Bay went from Favre to Rodgers. Indianapolis went from Manning to Luck. New England's always had Brady for nearly 20 years now. San Diego went from Brees to Rivers while Brees moved a few states over east into Louisiana. Atlanta has had Matt Ryan. Pittsburgh has had Roethlisberger. New York had Manning for years and have transitioned over into Jones.

The list goes on and on. Whatever this next staff decides to do. It's pretty clear they have to get this Quarterback situation resolved, cemented & stabilized for long term sustainability.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-07-2019, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The main issue has been their failures at the Quarterback position. It's that simple. You can get away with not having slam dunks and hitting grand slams in every draft as long as you have your Quarterback.

Let's just face it. Since they traded Mark Brunell to the Washington Redskins in 2004 this team has lacked an identity on offense in the passing game and they've tried like hell to mask it with a running game over the years. Leftwich failed, Garrard was the band-aid. Garrard failed, Gabbert was the band-aid. Gabbert failed, Henne was the band-aid. Henne failed, Bortles was the band-aid.

Bortles failed, Foles was the band-aid. Foles has failed so far due to injury, Minshew has been the promising band-aid.

This franchise has been STARVING for a Quarterback for 15 years now. Green Bay went from Favre to Rodgers. Indianapolis went from Manning to Luck. New England's always had Brady for nearly 20 years now. San Diego went from Brees to Rivers while Brees moved a few states over east into Louisiana. Atlanta has had Matt Ryan. Pittsburgh has had Roethlisberger. New York had Manning for years and have transitioned over into Jones.

The list goes on and on. Whatever this next staff decides to do. It's pretty clear they have to get this Quarterback situation resolved, cemented & stabilized for long term sustainability.

Welcome aboard my choo choo train! It’s not that I don’t like what I see in Minshew...it’s not that I’m oblivious to our o-line and defensive needs.. but my god we need to double down on QB. Yes- there is a high potential for waste of a pick. Any other franchise this would border on stupid. I still advocate possibly taking a qb with one of our first round picks if the right guy falls to us.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 12:09 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-07-2019, 11:43 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 10:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The main issue has been their failures at the Quarterback position. It's that simple. You can get away with not having slam dunks and hitting grand slams in every draft as long as you have your Quarterback.

Welcome aboard my choo choo train! It’s not that I don’t like what I see in Minshew...it’s not that I’m oblivious to our o-line and defensive needs.. but my god we need to double down on QB. Yes- there is a high potential for waste of a pick. Any other franchise this would border on stupid. I still advocate possibly taking a qb with one of our first round picks if the right guy falls to us.

If Burrow slipped to us with our first pick of the first round or Tagovailoa slipped to us with our second pick of the first round I wouldn't be opposed to their selections. I would be a little hesitant considering the lack of pass protection and push up front in the running game but if you're looking at a potential franchise Quarterback you have to pull the trigger on him. But I just don't see it happening. Between the Bengals, maybe Redskins, the Dolphins & L.A Chargers they could and should all be in play for one of those two signal callers. 

I was waiting on NFLDraftCountdown to get their first mock draft out for 2020. And so far I honestly don't like what I am seeing from Scott Wright's breakdowns. And he's usually pretty damn good with his predictions. He has us landing Delpit from LSU and Diggs from Alabama to fix up the secondary. My biggest complaints with that is for the simple fact that our issues mostly lay along the trenches. 

If you improve your blocking on offense and penetration on defense some of these guys on both sides of the football on our roster should look better in 2020. Walterfootball kind of has the right mindset. They have us reaching on Murray at inside backer though and then taking Wills at offensive tackle out of Alabama with the second pick. Not content on those selections neither. 

Then Drafttek's got us landing Okudah with the 11th overall pick, something I just don't see happening with him being considered a true shut down cornerback prospect since Jalen Ramsey. And then we take an edge rusher with the second pick in Weaver out of Boise State with 21st overall selection. All three of their predictions are all over the place. That's a testament to how bad this team is hurting right now at several skill positions.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-07-2019, 12:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 11:43 AM)Corriewf Wrote: Welcome aboard my choo choo train! It’s not that I don’t like what I see in Minshew...it’s not that I’m oblivious to our o-line and defensive needs.. but my god we need to double down on QB. Yes- there is a high potential for waste of a pick. Any other franchise this would border on stupid. I still advocate possibly taking a qb with one of our first round picks if the right guy falls to us.

If Burrow slipped to us with our first pick of the first round or Tagovailoa slipped to us with our second pick of the first round I wouldn't be opposed to their selections. I would be a little hesitant considering the lack of pass protection and push up front in the running game but if you're looking at a potential franchise Quarterback you have to pull the trigger on him. But I just don't see it happening. Between the Bengals, maybe Redskins, the Dolphins & L.A Chargers they could and should all be in play for one of those two signal callers. 

I was waiting on NFLDraftCountdown to get their first mock draft out for 2020. And so far I honestly don't like what I am seeing from Scott Wright's breakdowns. And he's usually pretty damn good with his predictions. He has us landing Delpit from LSU and Diggs from Alabama to fix up the secondary. My biggest complaints with that is for the simple fact that our issues mostly lay along the trenches. 

If you improve your blocking on offense and penetration on defense some of these guys on both sides of the football on our roster should look better in 2020. Walterfootball kind of has the right mindset. They have us reaching on Murray at inside backer though and then taking Wills at offensive tackle out of Alabama with the second pick. Not content on those selections neither. 

Then Drafttek's got us landing Okudah with the 11th overall pick, something I just don't see happening with him being considered a true shut down cornerback prospect since Jalen Ramsey. And then we take an edge rusher with the second pick in Weaver out of Boise State with 21st overall selection. All three of their predictions are all over the place. That's a testament to how bad this team is hurting right now at several skill positions.
There is zero chance Burrow falls too us

(12-07-2019, 12:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 12:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If Burrow slipped to us with our first pick of the first round or Tagovailoa slipped to us with our second pick of the first round I wouldn't be opposed to their selections. I would be a little hesitant considering the lack of pass protection and push up front in the running game but if you're looking at a potential franchise Quarterback you have to pull the trigger on him. But I just don't see it happening. Between the Bengals, maybe Redskins, the Dolphins & L.A Chargers they could and should all be in play for one of those two signal callers. 

There is zero chance Burrow falls too us

I don't disagree with that. I think it's almost a guarantee that he's a Bengal at the minimum or a Dolphin at the maximum. I don't see him making it out of the top five. With that said. . . 

He could come out here today and lay an egg against Georgia, completely cost his team a trip to the National Championship game and his stock starts to take a dent or two. Now, I don't think that'll happen. I don't see my Bulldogs having enough ammunition on offense with Fromm in the passing game to keep up with Burrow and their team in general. 

But [BLEEP] happens.

(12-07-2019, 12:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 12:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There is zero chance Burrow falls too us

I don't disagree with that. I think it's almost a guarantee that he's a Bengal at the minimum or a Dolphin at the maximum. I don't see him making it out of the top five. With that said. . . 

He could come out here today and lay an egg against Georgia, completely cost his team a trip to the National Championship game and his stock starts to take a dent or two. Now, I don't think that'll happen. I don't see my Bulldogs having enough ammunition on offense with Fromm in the passing game to keep up with Burrow and their team in general. 

But [BLEEP] happens.
Or he blows a knee out and we get him in Rd 3

(12-07-2019, 01:36 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 12:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't disagree with that. I think it's almost a guarantee that he's a Bengal at the minimum or a Dolphin at the maximum. I don't see him making it out of the top five. With that said. . . 

But [BLEEP] happens.
Or he blows a knee out and we get him in Rd 3

You're terrible. I like it. . . 

[Image: giphy.gif]