Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan Fires Coughlin

Coughlin got canned twice by the Jaguars for similar reasonings. It was warranted to say the east.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-19-2019, 02:00 AM)Upper Wrote: Jeff Darlington being such a Grinch...I can't remember the last time joy was sucked out of me like this.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/statu...1536756736
Others are saying the same thing.

If TC was already going to retire, Khan should have waited or let him step down now.
If Khan leaves Marrone in place, I'm not sure fans will be back.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I think he would be 100% wrong, but I can understand how Shad can warp logic to keep Caldwell around. I cannot do that in any way, shape, or form for Marrone. If he is still around next year it will be impossible for me to keep eschewing the conspiracy theories about Shad purposefully driving this franchise into the ground so he can more easily justify a move to Lonson.

(12-19-2019, 02:12 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:00 AM)Upper Wrote: Jeff Darlington being such a Grinch...I can't remember the last time joy was sucked out of me like this.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/statu...1536756736
Others are saying the same thing.

If TC was already going to retire,  Khan should have waited or let him step down now.

No Tom was going to "retire" or be fired but the NFLPA forced his hand early.

I think TC was the problem with the players and had to go. But The HC is why we are not winning. If they dont get rid of this HC and his cronies we will not win anything.

(12-19-2019, 02:23 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:12 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Others are saying the same thing.

If TC was already going to retire,  Khan should have waited or let him step down now.

No Tom was going to "retire" or be fired but the NFLPA forced his hand early.
I understand that, but he should have called him up and said announce your retirement now. It's different than being fired, even though everyone knows he is leaving because of the NFLPA issues.

It's sad that players complain about having consequences for not doing what they are required to do. If you are late, you don't get paid or have to work longer to make up. If you are fined enough, you will make sure to not be late again. Rehabbing a workplace injury should require you to be at the team facility.

(12-19-2019, 02:32 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:23 AM)JackCity Wrote: No Tom was going to "retire" or be fired but the NFLPA forced his hand early.
I understand that, but he should have called him up and said announce your retirement now. It's different than being fired, even though everyone knows he is leaving because of the NFLPA issues.

It's sad that players complain about having consequences for not doing what they are required to do. If you are late, you don't get paid or have to work longer to make up. If you are fined enough, you will make sure to not be late again. Rehabbing a workplace injury should require you to be at the team facility.

Coughlin was trying to institute rules and levied fines that were against a legally binding CBA agreement with the union. And then the union called him out in the press/social media, when the arbitrators ruled against the Jags.

You cannot just push that under the rug and try to sugarcoat it by asking him to resign. Kahn had to fire Coughlin to save face for for the rest of the franchise, and so that the players may not hold this against the Jags after TC is gone.

It is entire statement of "firing for cause" that had to be done to seem decisive and show the NFLPA that the franchise respects them. Allowing TC to retire or resign would lesson that statement and could allow for some to feel that the Jaguars weren't taking this seriously.

Is it possible that TC became a fall guy? Definitely, but there is no other option here for Kahn.

They fought
They knocked heads
A grown highly regarded one, and a young highly regarded one
They both left
Worsened the Jags upon exit
We are so sad
Rationale, or wasted language in this, is lippy
We are so sad
Worse, patchy, disjoint, dysfunctional, officially reprimanded, ridiculed, division feeder, and hapless as ever
But there is next year
We are Jaguars

(Pardon me, I didn't read this thread. I may have missed some juicy insightful bits).
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(12-19-2019, 02:32 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 02:23 AM)JackCity Wrote: No Tom was going to "retire" or be fired but the NFLPA forced his hand early.

He doesn't deserve the grace of retiring after how badly he messed up.  

And the entire point of the issues was they are not required to do it. Tom broke the CBA, he wants people to follow his rules without following anyone else, hence the firigng

Tom is a good man. He’s done a lot for this community with his charitable foundation here and in New York. My family members once crossed paths with him at the airport and he was kind and friendly and allowed them to take pictures with him.
That being said, I believe that his Type A personality no longer works in today’s NFL. Players today don’t respond positively to a militaristic authority figure like they did in the days of Vince Lombardi. An organization can have too many levels of reporting structure, and I think Shad Khan realizes that now. I’m sure Marrone was not comfortable having TC constantly looking over his shoulder, questioning his decisions, etc.A flatter management configuration would improve things dramatically here. I hope that comes to fruition.

I'm thinking, if Khan was already intending to do this, and was waiting for the end of the season, then he was intending to can all 3 of them. Think back, before this stuff with the NFLPA came out. Why would Khan decide to can just TC and not the other 2?

I think DC and DM are gone at the end of the season. I think Khan has already decided.

It's time to clean house and get a fresh start.  Fire ALL coaches and front office staff, all the way down to the strength and conditioning staff.  

This team is a [BLEEP] show and we - the fans - deserve better after two decades of misery. Bring in new, young blood. 

The reputation of the team has to be repaired if we want to bring in top-tier free agents and develop a winning culture.  Dave Caldwell and Doug Marrone have both been here long enough to know they aren't the answer.

I think this is a good start, but DM and DC need to go as well.

(12-19-2019, 08:22 AM)no 1 jag fan in Columbus Wrote: I think this is a good start, but DM and DC need to go as well.

I agree 110%. Coughlin had his issues. That's pretty clear. But this team's production and inconsistency on the football field ultimately falls on the coaching staff's shoulders and the scouting department's shoulders. Coughlin may have butted heads with some of the players like Ramsey, Fowler & Fournette. In some cases he was right. And in some cases, by rule, he overstepped. He paid the price for his mistake last night when he was fired. 

Now it's Caldwell's and Marrone's turn to ride the lightning. You can't keep putting lipstick on this pig. 2017 was a fluke. People need to get over that [BLEEP]. Caldwell's best class was 2016. Ramsey is gone. Ngakoue is looking for an extension (hopefully it happens) and Jack was overpaid to play out of position and has regressed this year. 

Not much for Caldwell to hang his hat on anymore. The Bradley / Bortles debacle was enough.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 08:34 AM by RicoTx.)

(12-18-2019, 08:50 PM)jag2543 Wrote: Wonder if this also leads to a homecoming of JR, Khan loves him and he will be a free agent

I always thought this would be hilarious.  We get two firsts for him and then he ends up back here anyway.

(12-18-2019, 09:10 PM)old_man Wrote: Inmates running the asylum....this wont end well for this franchise...

If by inmates running the asylum = Coughlin incapable of following rules...then, yeah.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-19-2019, 02:23 AM)Upper Wrote: I think he would be 100% wrong, but I can understand how Shad can warp logic to keep Caldwell around. I cannot do that in any way, shape, or form for Marrone. If he is still around next year it will be impossible for me to keep eschewing the conspiracy theories about Shad purposefully driving this franchise into the ground so he can more easily justify a move to Lonson.

This is where I am. It could be easy to see Marrone given a pass because of Coughlin but it's a double edged sword for me. How many HC's would allow a EVP to do their job? What HC wouldn't either deal with it or walk away? Would Marrone cave if Coughlin disagreed?

Those are things I'd expect a HC to handle and if he wasn't able to do his job because of Coughlin then he should have walked away and said why. No one would have blamed him.

IF Coughlin was responsible for the QB choices (resigning Bortles and Foles), and IF he's responsible for the front office failings to retain some of our better free agents, I think Caldwell needs to be given a second chance. He does a good job evaluating talent, but, at least up until now, I believed he was hurting the team by not retaining quality free agents and making some poor choices with resignings. However, if these choices were on Coughlin, I think Caldwell has done well enough to be given a second stint. He made some questionable choices with first round picks, but, by and large, he has given this team depth, even if he hasn't maintained it (and Coughlin could be the reason why).

I can't say the same for Doug Marrone, though. Even if Marrone is trying to keep together a disgruntled team due to Coughlin, there are enough questionable coaching choices that have frustrated me to no end. I don't know. Maybe Coughlin is micromanaging too much.

Well, it's a brand new day.....the sun rose in the east and a weight has been lifted from the team's shoulders.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2019, 09:17 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Boselli spinning the TC fire on 1010xl right now.  Playing down the NFLPA issue and states the firing was based on performance of the team.

Listening to Boselli and Frangie speaking of the Jags is like listening to North Korean radio talk about Kim Jung Un --- we love our leader.

Fournette at #4, the Bortles extension, the Foles signing, and the Myles Jack extension are enough to part ways with TC.

The players association grievances made it enough to part ways right now.